• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Restaurant Owner To Be Deported - His Wife voted for Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Trump has said they are only deporting the violent criminals, right? What was violent about wandering into Canada 17 years ago?

Roberto Beristain is the owner of a popular restaurant in Granger called Eddie’s Steak Shed. His family says he came to the United States from Mexico City illegally in 1998. He later obtained documentation to work in the country and checked in with ICE each year.

It was during one of those check ins last month that ICE took Beristain into custody because of an incident in 2000. Roberto and his wife, Helen, were visiting Niagara Falls that year and accidentally crossed into Canada. Officers there detained Roberto when they realized he was in the U.S. illegally. Helen says a lawyer helped get Roberto out on bail, but he was told he had to voluntarily leave the country within a month.

Roberto decided not to self deport because Helen was pregnant at the time.

During an interview earlier this month, Helen said she voted for President Donald Trump because she supports his immigration policies. She said criminals should be deported, but she didn’t think her husband would face that fate.

http://indianapublicmedia.org/news/indiana-restaurant-owner-deported-friday-116463/

ezekial45

Banned
It's only a problem until it happens to you.

This lady, and every other Trump voter having a change of heart, gets no sympathy from me. They brought this on themselves.

Wilsongt

"But he's here illegally! If only he had worked to get his green card or did as he was told, it wouldn't be a problem. Immigration is only goin after ILLEGAL immigrants. LEGAL immigrants are fine" /Trumpettes

Man, such a violent act of crossing into Canada.

johnsmith

remember me
160829_a20072-1000.jpg

"He won't eat us"

During an interview earlier this month, Helen said she voted for President Donald Trump because she supports his immigration policies. She said criminals should be deported, but she didn’t think her husband would face that fate.

Literally the mindset of every Trump supporter.

"XYZ should get fucked over. But not good people like us."

Veelk

Banned
During an interview earlier this month, Helen said she voted for President Donald Trump because she supports his immigration policies. She said criminals should be deported, but she didn't think her husband would face that fate.

But he was a criminal, lady. Didn't you see his skin color?

Trump has said they are only deporting the violent criminals, right?

LOL. It's hard to feel sorry for people who believed dumb shit like this. He made a blanket statement indiscriminately calling Mexicans criminals and they're surprised he's indiscriminately deporting illegal Mexican immigrants?

Deporting violent criminals was already our immigration policy before Trump, and Trump had repeatedly advocating for deporting all undocumented immigrants.

What an idiot. I feel bad for the husband, though.

zethren

Banned
Don't care. No sympathy.

I have ZERO sympathy for the people who feel "betrayed" by Trump. He played you, idiot.

Unfortunately when these people hear 'deport criminals' they think 'deport violent criminals' and not 'deport people who have committed a crime'.

Literally the mindset of every Trump supporter.

"XYZ should get fucked over. But not good people like us."

Yup. Last on the list of sympathy.

Their vote for Trump aside, I assume there's proof that their brain is functioning fully and properly, correct? So they have no excuse.

Sucks to be you, ya dumb asses.

"The Good Ones" mentality in full effect.

I told a class of minority students that "The Good Ones" was used to cause racial, ethnic, and cultural division and that racist white people would never considered them their equal no matter what they did. It got so quiet, GAF.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Did I miss the part where Trump said only violent criminals? I didn't follow things too closely, but I was under the impression Trump was cracking down on all undocumented immigrants.

Isn't coming into the country illegally technically a "crime"? According to Trump, this means any undocumented will be considered a "criminal".

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Did I miss the part where Trump said only violent criminals? I didn't follow things too closely, but I was under the impression Trump was cracking down on all undocumented immigrants.

He first said all and then soften to just criminals cus going after all is pretty fucking evil but it actually was all.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
More
:
Helen says she agrees with the President’s stance on the issue.

“We don’t want to have cartels here, you don’t want to have drugs in your high schools, you don’t want killers next to you,” Helen says. “You want to feel safe when you leave your house. I truly believe that. And, this is why I voted for Mr. Trump.”

But Helen doesn’t understand why her husband is among those being detained. She says he’s an upstanding business owner who’s in the process of applying for a green card – not a criminal.

Now his stepson Phil Kolliopoulos is trying to help keep the family business running, not knowing what the future holds.

“The worst thing … would be deportation,” Kolliopoulos says. “And, it’s hard to think about that. And, it’s hard too because he has a grandson and he can’t see him grow up.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom