• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSX on PSP: what are you playing?

hyp

looks like the other thread has become technical support. i made this thread so we can post successful PSX-PSP conversion along with what games we are revisiting.

here's my current rotation (god bless you 4GB pro duo card):
- castlevania: SOTN
- einhander
- final fantasy 7
- silent bomber
* internal section (once i find my damn copy)

here's what i've gotten to work:
- vagrant story
- final fantasy tactics
- metal gear solid
- bust a groove
- gamera 2000
- jumping flash

it's crazy how great the games look on the PSP screen, it's as if they were built from the ground up for the system. built into the emulator is the ability to stretch widescreen, keep original aspect ratio (my favorite), and fill to 4:3 fullscreen, all accessible via the PSP's "home menu". i must've played at least 4 hours straight of FF7 just to re-experience the graphics on the PSP -- not only does it appear clearer and sharper, but load times are much improved. unbelievable. im hooked all over again.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Playing the "DAMN YOU SEGA NOW I GOTTA WAIT FOR 2.8.1 CRACK IF POSSIBLE" game.
It's fun!

kenta

Has no PEINS
Sony needs to bust out a shotgun effect on the PS Store and just overload us with downloadable games to counteract all this. God knows I'm willing to buy the majority of games you listed there but with a 3.00 PSP I'm stuck :(

quetz67

Banned
Want to play through RE0 to RE4 on GC again, but maybe RE2 and RE3 would look better on the small PSP screen, did anybody get them running on PSP?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Still stuck w/ a 1GB card. So I'm ripping more than I'm playing. I may be picking up a 4GB card tonight though *crosses fingers*:

So far I've played:

AirGrave (great game)
Metal Fang (great game)
Soukyou-Gurentai (great game)
Zanack Neo
Rival Schools Evolution
Roll Cage
Earthworm Jim
SotN
Gunner's Heaven

Can't get Strider 2 to work for shit tho.

Some others that escape me at the moment.

Luckyman

Banned
kenta said:
Sony needs to bust out a shotgun effect on the PS Store and just overload us with downloadable games to counteract all this. God knows I'm willing to buy the majority of games you listed there but with a 3.00 PSP I'm stuck :(

They have to make them playable on the PS3.

MoxManiac

I only have a 1gb pro due atm so i can basically hold one game at any time. Right now ive been ripping my collection and storing the eboots on DVDs so I can swap em over to my psp at any time.

Once I settle down with that i'll probably play some Vagrant Story.

ethelred

MoxManiac said:
Once I settle down with that i'll probably play some Vagrant Story.

If I ever get to do this, I plan on starting out with Final Fantasy Tactics / Tactics Ogre / Dragon Quest VII. I'll flip a tri-sided coin, I guess. Vagrant Story I'd like to do again behind those three.

MoxManiac

ethelred said:
If I ever get to do this, I plan on starting out with Final Fantasy Tactics / Tactics Ogre / Dragon Quest VII. I'll flip a tri-sided coin, I guess. Vagrant Story I'd like to do again behind those three.

FFT runs beautifully on it. I dunno whether I want to play it though, or wait for the actual upcoming PSP version.

ethelred

MoxManiac said:
FFT runs beautifully on it. I dunno whether I want to play it though, or wait for the actual upcoming PSP version.

The PSP announcement is what made me want to play it again, so I dunno if I can wait. :p

It's moot anyway since I can't do this on my PSP, but yeah... I'd probably try to restrain myself and keep FFT away, playing TO and DQ7 instead. Not like there isn't plenty to entertain in those two games anyway.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
When i get this to work, I'll be playing SOTN first!!!

Then comes Metal Gear Solid, Dino Crisis, Fear Effect, and the RE's!

So many times I have tried to replay some psx games but given up on eyesores, I know ff7 looks pretty dated now but I still loved the game and replaying it on the pc even in 640x480 puts me off, I would love a psp and older firmware just to replay stuff. one game I did beat the other month was RRT4..still love that game.

Jenga

Banned
MoxManiac said:
As far as I know, it'll have new FMVs, a few new classes, and probably some new sidequests.

Think like the FF Advance series on GBA, but with a shitload of new content. I'd say it's worth it.

DaCocoBrova

Diablohead said:
So many times I have tried to replay some psx games but given up on eyesores, I know ff7 looks pretty dated now but I still loved the game and replaying it on the pc even in 640x480 puts me off, I would love a psp and older firmware just to replay stuff. one game I did beat the other month was RRT4..still love that game.

They benefit greatly from the smaller screen. Most games look substantially better on the PSP. You don't notice the interlace jitter that was so prevelant w/ the PSX on an NTSC set.

Carlisle

ethelred said:
The PSP announcement is what made me want to play it again, so I dunno if I can wait. :p

It's moot anyway since I can't do this on my PSP, but yeah... I'd probably try to restrain myself and keep FFT away, playing TO and DQ7 instead. Not like there isn't plenty to entertain in those two games anyway.

If you can continue to hold out for a little longer, ethelred, don't update just yet. A beta version of 2.80+ downgrader has been developed. Just give it a little time to work the kinks out and get some tried and true success stories. It'll be very, very much worth it. Believe me :)

RevenantKioku said:
SotN requires 7 buttons..PSP has six.
It also has a joystick, which can be used as four additional buttons, one for each direction. Come on people, its not too hard to figure this stuff out!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Carlisle said:
If you can continue to hold out for a little longer, ethelred, don't update just yet. A beta version of 2.80+ downgrader has been developed. Just give it a little time to work the kinks out and get some tried and true success stories. It'll be very, very much worth it. Believe me :)
Giving my PSP a use after so long would be nice.
Figures I upgraded to play Phantasy Star games. THANKS ETHELRED!

nincompoop said:
It also has a joystick, which can be used as four additional buttons, one for each direction. Come on people, its not too hard to figure this stuff out!

Guess I didn't think about it because it's a pretty awful solution! All we got, but still sucks!

How is the emulation? I guess the graphic look perfect from what I gather, but what about the audio and speed? And what about L2 and R2 or the right analog stick?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Right now all I've tried is Crash and Medievil from the US PS Store which I never really played before anyway. I'm tempted to seek out a second PSP to try the hacked version of PSOne games on PSP but I liquidated my PSOne library years ago anyway and I don't intend to pirate any games, so I'd still have to go out and locate and buy games I want to play. So I'll probably be patient a little longer with SCEA to see how quickly they build up the downloadable catalog on the PS Store (since it'll take me awhile anyway to find all the pieces on my own).

RevenantKioku

Eric_S said:
Can't you map buttons to the digipad and use the nub for movement?
Being locked into 2.8.1, I dunno! But it sounds so!
Still, I can't imagine that being very optimal for most games, but hell whatever. If I do get this going one day, it'll probably just be to play the stack of PSX RPGs I haven't gotten to yet.

painey

im waiting. Played a little Vagrant Story but PAL games dont work so great on it.. come march when they release PS1 PAL games on the PS3 store the PAL games should work :)

quetz67 said:
Want to play through RE0 to RE4 on GC again, but maybe RE2 and RE3 would look better on the small PSP screen, did anybody get them running on PSP?
RE3 i know a few people got working, and RE2 people were having trouble with the game freezing when you got to the RPD, though CVXfreak says he got the leon disc working properly, he didn't say how.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Playing:

Final Fantasy VII
Castlevania SOTN
Einhander
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil 3

Im like 3 hours back into FFVII and love being able to just put this game on sleep mode and continue later on from the same spot without any hitches. I'm gonna try Resident Evil 2 later today but Resident Evil 3 works fine (played up to the RPD station). IMHO, the games look great in the stretched to full screen option. Heres a RE3 icon pack:

icon0uo3.png

pic1db3.png

^We need a thread for these type of pics.

Kuran

Banned
My biggest gaming-related disappointment: upgrading to 3.01 for Vice City Stories and Metal Gear: PO

It almost physically hurts when I read this thread.

Besides.. is there a way to rip these discs to .EBOOT on Mac OSX? Or do I need to boot into Windows for that?

btrboyev

Novelty and Nostalgia quickly wore off about 20 mins into playing a few games. Still cool though and gives me a little more reason to use my psp f I wanna play some soul blade.

Matix

Sadly I don't have a homebrew compatible PSP as of now (feel so ****ing left out), but in my dreams..

- Persona 2
- Panzer Bandit
- Rival Schools
- Xenogears
- Jumping Flash 1-2
- Strider 2
- Alundra
- Evil Zone
- Tobal 2
- Ehrgeiz
- Tails Concerto
- Klonoa
- The Legend of Dragoon
- Kings Field 1-2
- Theme Hospital
- Soul Blade
- Omega Boost
- Deception 2
- Parasite Eve
- Clock Tower 1-2
- Ninpu Sentai Harikenger

seriously, the list is nearly endless.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Is it easy to install those icon pics for the games? Or does it require you to extract the pbp, insert the images, then rebuild? Sounds like a hassle if that's the case

DaCocoBrova

It's as easy as placing the .png files in the popstation folder while you create the iso. You don't have to do anything but put it there and that's it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
DaCocoBrova said:
It's as easy as placing the .png files in the popstation folder while you create the iso. You don't have to do anything but put it there and that's it.

Shit, any easy method after converting the games? I'm not re-converting just to install a pic

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Wario64 said:
Is it easy to install those icon pics for the games? Or does it require you to extract the pbp, insert the images, then rebuild? Sounds like a hassle if that's the case
Just insert your own PIC1.PNG and ICON0.PNG in the same folder with your own ripped iso when converting and it will automatically add those two pictures to your eboot.pbp

Top Bottom