• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games will you never play before you die?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’m not trying to be morbid, but I know that most of us have backlogs we’ll just realistically never get to. We’ll die before we play everything we’d like to.

Final Fantasy 5? Nope. Star Wars KOTOR? I’d love to, but who has the time? I still haven’t played Gravity Rush, which I already own, but I’ll be damned if I’m gonna buy a new battery for my PSP.

Persona 4, Banjo-Tooie, A Hat in Time, Soma, Moss, Bully, Shantae, Game & Watch Gallery 3, Toki Tori, Ni no Kuni 2, Max Payne 3, Diablo 4, Crash Bandicoot, Papers Please, Metro 2033, CoD MW2, Crusader of Centy, Silent Hill 4, Tekken 2, and so many more… all games I will more than likely never play before I die, despite wanting to.

The wave of modern games, as well as more important backlog titles, make me realize that the B Team of games might never get their day in the sun from me. It’s sad, but I’m just being realistic. Though, maybe a thread like this will encourage me to finally play some of these titles.

What games are you probably going to miss out on in your lifetime?

BouncyFrag

I’m worried that Skyrim Grandma won’t get to play the next Elder Strolls game. 😕
5-AFD3231-68-AA-44-F1-A02-A-A21-E3756-F5-C9.jpg

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Just play Papers Please on the phone. With that you can always squeeze in a bit of playtime here and there.

MagnesD3

Ill probably never play and beat an MMO like Wow, they are just too big, I have to sacrifice so much time that I could be playing several games to play just 1. But who knows maybe Ill become curious enough some day.

Atari, Coleco, Virtual Boy, Jaguar, and 32X games. I’m sure I’m missing some other systems, but basically most of the obscure stuff.

I was always grateful to youtubers like AVGN and Classic Game Room, to at least be able to see what these old games and consoles looked like and how they played.

Ill probably never play and beat an MMO like Wow, they are just too big, I have to sacrifice so much time that I could be playing several games to play just 1. But who knows maybe Ill become curious enough some day.
As a guy who used to be heavily into MMOs, don’t bother unless it is specifically a narrative experience first and an MMO second. Even then, be careful because games like Destiny 2 exist. Otherwise, you have to end up liking the gameplay for gameplay’s sake, with games such as Dungeon Fighter Online or Vindictus.

I missed most of the PS360 generation sinking time into them and the only MMO that I recall where my time was respected, felt like an actual video game, and it knew when to simply have a conclusion, was Guild Wars.

Most of the other ones feel like a second job, much like current day PvP games like League, Valorant, CoD, and Overwatch.

[Sigma]

Call of Duty Warzone. Fortnite. Minecraft. Destiny 2. I'm sure there's a bunch more but those came to mind. Destiny 2 I kinda wanted to try but the store literally repulsed me.

Last edited:

Paasei

Yakuza series. About the only franchise I can think of that I would like to play, but I don’t see it happening.

John Bilbo

I remember reading about Everquest back in the day from a local gaming magazine and getting crazy hyped for it. I still get the feeling when thinking about that article.

Missed out on the game though.

IAmRei

I have lot of games which i dont like, thus i will never play it... it will be too long to write them all here...

Gandih42

Yakuza is probably the series I have the biggest desire to play but the hardest to find the time for due to the size of the franchise (and each game).

That being said OP, sometimes it's actually really refreshing to take a break from the big "must-play" games at the top of your list to play something smaller and more niche or "B-tier". At least for me personally.

For instance, I squeezed in games like Spiritfarer and Mortal Shell between the bigguns of Elden Ring and FFXVI (I'm perpetually behind on games, big and small). Next up for me after I beat NG+ on Demon's Souls is probably Evil West, super stoked to try it out.

Your time spent playing games should not be about what you're missing out on, but engaging with something you love.

Shifty1897

I don't know what you're playing instead of some of those games, OP, but you should play these instead.
  • A Hat in Time is great
  • Persona 4 is legendary
  • Metro 2033 is first person immersion goodness
  • Gravity Rush and FF5 are worth trying

That being said, I know I will never have the time to play the Trails series, 10 long JRPGs with an interconnected story, sheesh.

Bond007

Can't say there is any genre i would flat out NOT play. If there is a banger to be had, and it interests me- that im gonna try it with an open mind.
As a kid i was anti- RPG. That was dumb and FFX grabbed me by the balls.

So what specific game wont i play these days? MMO or Open Worlds with too much fluff. Not cause i dont like the genre(ive been hooked before) - i just dont have the time.

And i gave up on worrying about a backlog. One thing i know about myself is that i cant force myself to play anything- i gotta be in the mood for said game. Not just play it to scratch it off some personal list.

I feel some people are missing the point of this topic. It's what games would you LIKE to play, but most likely won't.

In my case: a tonne of isometric RPGs. Too much time and patience required. I've had Pathfinder knocking around my Ps5 storage for ages.

I'd also like to get into the Total War games but again... my free time and mental space is decreasing every week it seems.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

As a guy who used to be heavily into MMOs, don’t bother unless it is specifically a narrative experience first and an MMO second. Even then, be careful because games like Destiny 2 exist. Otherwise, you have to end up liking the gameplay for gameplay’s sake, with games such as Dungeon Fighter Online or Vindictus.

I missed most of the PS360 generation sinking time into them and the only MMO that I recall where my time was respected, felt like an actual video game, and it knew when to simply have a conclusion, was Guild Wars.

Most of the other ones feel like a second job, much like current day PvP games like League, Valorant, CoD, and Overwatch.
If i were to try Destiny, Guild Wars, or FF14 I would absolutely try to just B Line important content as fast as I could. 100-200 hours would be fine but 1000+ is a tough one to swallow like Wow haha.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I’m not trying to be morbid, but I know that most of us have backlogs we’ll just realistically never get to. We’ll die before we play everything we’d like to.

Final Fantasy 5? Nope. Star Wars KOTOR? I’d love to, but who has the time? I still haven’t played Gravity Rush, which I already own, but I’ll be damned if I’m gonna buy a new battery for my PSP.

Persona 4, Banjo-Tooie, A Hat in Time, Soma, Moss, Bully, Shantae, Game & Watch Gallery 3, Toki Tori, Ni no Kuni 2, Max Payne 3, Diablo 4, Crash Bandicoot, Papers Please, Metro 2033, CoD MW2, Crusader of Centy, Silent Hill 4, Tekken 2, and so many more… all games I will more than likely never play before I die, despite wanting to.

The wave of modern games, as well as more important backlog titles, make me realize that the B Team of games might never get their day in the sun from me. It’s sad, but I’m just being realistic. Though, maybe a thread like this will encourage me to finally play some of these titles.

What games are you probably going to miss out on in your lifetime?
Any new game by Neil Cuckman ... thank you but no thank you

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I actually told myself that about FF5 like OP, but then I gave it a shot with Pixel Remaster, and now it ranks up there in my favorite entries.

MarkMe2525

I have lived long enough to know that making such a broad and definitive claims are pointless. Taste change and life situations change. I imagine half of the responses in this thread are more geared towards shit talking than honest conversations about what genres or ip that people dislike.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That being said, I know I will never have the time to play the Trails series, 10 long JRPGs with an interconnected story, sheesh.
This was the first game series that came to mind, but I'm 4 games in now and honestly having a blast. Each game plays like a season of a TV show, and it's just that the TV show is already in its 12th season. Unlike TV shows that go into 12 seasons, this is just getting better over time (better writing, better storytelling, better characters, etc.) There are also a few jumping in points that work okay, if you don't want to have to watch the earlier seasons.

HowLongToBeat says that all the existing games together (starting with Trails in the Sky) can be beat in around 500 hours. Daunting, but not insurmountable.

SHA

Life is Strange, I don't get this game and I don't want to associate anything bad in life to this game cause this game doesn't make sense like in the second series, they could just let the cop get them and everything gonna be fine but that didn't happen "that's the strange part, not life itself", the story just make me feel God isn't generous, it's the story's fault, unless they make the plot bigger to get better understanding of why this stuff happening, otherwise, it's just as I said, cause in limited narrow scope, even in 2024, you could still fit shitty plot unfortunately.

Last edited:
Top Bottom