• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Revolution launches June 27 on PS4/Vita

Loudninja

June 30th for Europe

XB1 as well
http://kotaku.com/1793677177

Attention, soldiers! Prepare for battle in the coming months, because Valkyria Revolution is launching in the Americas on June 27 for PS4 and PS Vita! Our previous PS.Blog post covered how the game is quite literally a revolution from previous Valkyria games, but let me give you a brief refresher before you charge once more unto the breach.

First things first: Valkyria Revolution is not a sequel to the Valkyria Chronicles series. ”Spinoff" would be the right word. It takes place in a whole different timeline, continent, and universe than its predecessors, but familiar elements — such as the precious mineral ragnite and the legendary beings known as the Valkyria — make a return.

Instead of a World War II influence, the game is inspired by the European industrial revolution and focuses on a war of liberation between two vastly different nations. But arguably the biggest difference is the battle system. The turn-based action has been replaced with faster-paced (but no less strategic) combat. This hybrid battle system combines the tactics of customizing squad behavior and loadouts with real-time action for some pretty intense moments on the field.
And we've got one more thing to reveal. Loyal soldiers are always rewarded for their service, so pre-orders and limited launch copies of the physical PS4 game will come packaged as the Valkyria Revolution Vanargand Edition in the Americas. This special edition comes with a bold pin inscribed with the Vanargand's ferocious coat of arms, a 12-track soundtrack by the extremely talented Yasunori Mitsuda (Chrono Trigger, Stella Glow), and stunning outer box. Quantities are limited, so grab your copy of the Vanargand Edition on the double!
Valkyria Revolution will be released physically and digitally for PS4, and as a digital-only title for PS Vita.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...s-in-europe-on-30th-june-for-ps4-and-ps-vita/
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/03/27/valkyria-revolution-deploys-to-the-americas-on-june-27/

Nyoro SF

Hm, a week after Spring is over. They basically pushed it out as far as possible.

EDIT: LOL, the UK blog calls it a "Strategy RPG". It's an ARPG, no need for genre confusion.

Moofers

Digital only for Vita. Thanks, Sega. Are you paying attention at all to what Vita fans are after these days?

I'll buy it on PS4 but they would have had an easy double-sale out of me with a Vita cart.

BigEmil

Vita tho
Would've double dipped on both platforms but since i hear this game isn't that good guess I'll just buy it on Vita

Ridley327

Running unopposed is a good strategy to take here, especially for a game that didn't exactly set anyone's world on fire in Japan.

Saphirax

Since there's no way Atlus would allow parity between regions, us EU folks won't be getting the pin, just the 12 track OST :p.

OVDRobo

I've heard enough bad things that I'll give this one a pass.

Hopefully the people that enjoy enjoy the style it's going for can find something to like, but even if they classify it as a spinoff, as a fan of the Valkyria series it's just not what I'm looking for.

antibolo

Banned
Meanwhile Sega is not localizing the Vita version of Puyo Puyo Tetris.

I will never understand those seemingly random decisions.

zeromcd73

Stopped playing the Japanese version after about 1 hour. The cutscenes were so long with basically zero character animation. Possibly the stiffest cutscenes I have ever seen. Combat was pretty garbage too.

Not even expecting a 65 on metacritic for this.

UCBooties

Ouch, digital only for Vita...

I was still hoping for physical. I don't know if a pin and soundtrack are enough to make me switch to PS4.

Philippo

I was initially super in, even just to support the series, but the impressions were so bad i really have to skip investing 40+€ in this.

Ridley327

If they're not going to do a physical release for an RPG with waifu bait, there is absolutely no hope for a puzzle game that can't get a digital release on that platform.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
No way I will be buying this. I don't mind the idea of a sincere spinoff but this is both a shit game and an effort to morph the series into something else. I don't buy for one second that they planned to continue the real series if this thing had sold well, thankfully it didn't.

Someone on GAF said Sega doesn't have the license in English speaking regions for Tetris on vita. They do on switch. Seems reasonably believable at any rate.

Yup this isn't the game Valkyria fans want.
This. And all the impressions I've seen were negative, not to mention the jarring experience that was watching a playthrough of the original demo.

Will be interesting to see critics and fans ripping the game apart when it releases, but for me it's a bargain bin pickup, preferable used. I'll consider Valkyria Chronicles to be dead, that makes it easier to deal with the fact that Sega has no idea what to do with the IP and we'll like never see a proper, non-mobile (heck, if even that) sequel to VC1 or VC3.
There's better Action-JRPG out there and they don't make me want to cry when I see what has become of the VC IP.

I was initially super in, even just to support the series, but the impressions were so bad i really have to skip investing 40+€ in this.
IMO at this point a rejection of Azure Revolution and the super cheap Action-JRPG direction the IP is heading is still more likely to result in a proper Valk. Chronicles game coming out than supporting this turd would be. All we would get is Azure Revolution 2 methinks, it's Sega Japan after all. The last thing we likely want is to embolden them in their thick headed 'let's chase the current flavor of the month' aproach they've been pursuing since and including Valkyria Chronicles 2.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Ouch... Loved VC 1 and liked VC2. What happened to this series? :(

Being brutally honest, SEGA are an incompetent company these days. Outside of the Yakuza team and their Western PC games, they release mostly shit. There is very little talent left at the company.

Was pleasantly shocked it was getting an English release at all, but then the reactions in the thread... Need to wait on reviews for this one huh.

Being brutally honest, SEGA are an incompetent company these days. Outside of the Yakuza team and their Western PC games, they release mostly shit. There is very little talent left at the company.

Well, they do own Atlus now, so that is something at least.

I really, REALLY hope that Atlus didn't spend too many resources on localizing this. Like, Kusoge top to bottom from everything I hear.

The Bureau: Valkyria Declassified at best, Valkyria '06 at worst.

18-Volt

Yup this isn't the game Valkyria fans want.

Codename: STEAM was the game Valkyria fans would want but nobody bought it.

Atlus is localizing this, not Sega. Puyo Pop Vita came out before Atlus took over the localization duties of Sega, so it might be out of their reach. But you can be sure that Atlus will localize almost everything Sega make from now on.

Linkark07

Banned
Was already planning to skip this one but reading these comments... What is wrong with you Sega? Stop killing your own franchises.

zeromcd73

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku1XhiBmU6w&t=11m25s

Here is a great example of the poor cutscenes in this game. Not just the animation but the direction of the cutscenes in general is almost non-existent.

This is at the 10minute mark in the game and the part linked doesn't have spoilers. The game is fucking atrocious. It's even worse that the first thing in this game is a 16minute cutscene... argggggggggg.

Eusis

They also have Atlus, who ended up basically becoming their western branch, but I'm starting to fear that covering for them is going to eat into what they could do. Though getting the Yakuza games may be worth it, and I did like 7th Dragon III (which is the kind of thing they'd have gone for, at least in the past.)

Oreiller

The game was developped by Media.Vision, not Sega...

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Stopped playing the Japanese version after about 1 hour. The cutscenes were so long with basically zero character animation. Possibly the stiffest cutscenes I have ever seen. Combat was pretty garbage too.

Not even expecting a 65 on metacritic for this.

You've just described all Vita JRPGs and ports of Vita JRPGs.

jrcbandit

Why are they even bringing the game over to the West? All it can do is tarnish the brand if they decide to make any more Valkyrie games...

The game was developped by Media.Vision, not Sega...

And well, the way I hear it, the game basically had it's budget decimated the moment reactions to the initial demo came in and it was decided to just get the damn thing out quick and recoup the budget rather than wasting more time and money on it.

And essentially turned it into another Portable game, but with console ports so they can put up the appearance of the series returning to consoles.

Top Bottom