• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good third party controllers you've used

tkscz

After seeing Mad Catz going under, it had me thinking about all the weird 3rd party controllers that I've used, and the diamonds that laid among them. Like one of my favorites,

Z0053849.jpg

Looks weird, felt great. And for some games, worked better than the actual N64 controller (though the one we had was the super pad plus, which had turbo settings).

ASCIIPad for SNES. Like the OEM controllers, they were built in Mitsumi factories to a high grade specification, and they had the bonus turbo/autofire switches. Such a great controller.

asciiware-snes-asciipad.jpg

ngower

Fight sticks: the thread?

Can't say I recall ever being satisfied by any third party controller. Maybe the turbo controllers during the Genesis days?

FinKL

What, I had the OP controller. Honestly, it was the worst because it was so hard to grasp the Z button. It was good if you wanted to win Mario Party because spinning that stick was buttery smooth and fast. It was pretty much cheating

ASCIIPad for SNES. Like the OEM controllers, they were built in Mitsumi factories to a high grade specification, and they had the bonus turbo/autofire switches. Such a great controller.

This was my GOAT controller, didn't share it with anyone. Loved the uniform buttons and colors for distinction.

GulAtiCa

I loved the Pelican controller for the original Xbox. I felt it was a good controller, esp compared to other 3rd party controllers of that age that were usually known for being bad.

Espada

That old Logitech wireless PS2 controller. That was one of the best 3rd party controllers I've ever used.

Joycard Sansui SSS (by Hudson) for the NES/Famicom was such a nice 3rd party controller. Rapid fire settings and even had headphone jack (although I never used it). Best of all it had a bit more bulk to it than the standard NES controller and felt more comfortable without the sharp corners.

linkboy

This controller, in my mind, is a first party controller.

Even down to the buttons, you can take it apart and swap them with an official controller and they'll fit.

It's one of the best 3rd party controllers ever.

I have this controller for my SNES and I've never been a huge fan of it. I much prefer the SFC controller.

KHlover

Banned
4120E7AAVGL.jpg

Logitech RumblePad 2. Was my main PC controller from back in the PS2 days alll the way until I bought my WiiU Pro Controller+Adapter. Still works as well as back on the first day. Logitech makes fantastic gaming hardware.

That N64 controller was good?? Color me surprised.

I've used it and it feels amazing thanks to the two-pronged design. Not to mention, the stick is much more durable.

Everyone says the Hori pad is good, but not enough pay attention to this as it's great and a much cheaper alternative.

Justinh

bO2eFyk.jpg

I didn't have the 6 button Sega pad for Genesis, I had one of these... and I didn't feel like I was missing out. The Dpad was great and the buttons feel good. They're nice and big and have a good "press" on them.

I ended up buying the Saturn version when I found out that it existed a couple years ago when I finally got a Saturn.

I have the Hori mini pad for the N64 too, but haven't used it that much. I think it might be just a tad bit too small for use in a lot of games.

Minarik

Honestly, I've never enjoyed a third-party controller. I had one for the N64 that had a rubber grip on the middle handle and the stick wore out so fast. I'm not into fighting or racing games, so I can't comment on fight sticks or wheels.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
41W3NRY3QCL.jpg

I remember this Logitech model being the defacto choice when Nintendo was killing it with the Wavebird but PS2 owners didn't have an official alternative.

Never owned a PS2 though, so I can't vouch for its quality personally.

Ensoul

Thought this controller was decent for a third party controller.

41I-8er9TsL.jpg

Good wireless controller for the xbox.

416HZRZR91L._SX385_.jpg

CJY

Banned

Everything was great except for the branding on the front and the "left", "right" indentations. Couldn't fault the build quality though.

41W3NRY3QCL.jpg

I remember this Logitech model being the defacto choice when Nintendo was killing it with the Wavebird but PS2 owners didn't have an official alternative.

Never owned a PS2 though, so I can't vouch for its quality personally.

I'm going to have to say no to this. These things broke way to fucking easily, especially because of how bad the rubber button pieces were under the buttons (for contact). They wore down in only a few months.

Justinh

1000615_UHX345_A_400.jpg

This is great if you need to use d-pad on Xbox 360.

Apparently this Hori Gem pad for the 360 is supposed to have a good Dpad on it.
D2M7zg5.jpg

Oh yeah, speaking of 360, I have this thing, and I like it a lot for 2D shooters and side scrollers (after a tiny bit of adjustment)
PDP Vs controller

can't wait for the 360/xone hori fight commander to come out next month...
http://i.imgur.com/mIBd2hE.jpg (not image-tagged because I've not used it as it's not out yet)

Cowie

I really liked this guy

The buttons would have seen benefit from not being teardrop shaped, but the controller had a nice feel to it and the rubberized back felt "premium" for the time period. My fond memories of that controller had me excited about the ps3 batarang controller that was never to be.

Also, I totally forgot that I had one of those Ascii Pads for SNES and used it almost exclusively after getting it.

Intel_89

I had a couple of generic dual shock like controllers that were compatible with the PS3, worked decently well. Other than that I had 3 World Gate Gamecube Controllers, they all died pretty quickly, a generic Wii Remote that had a IR sensor that barely worked and a Wii U Giotek Classic Controller, I was able to sync it once before it just stopped working, managed to get my money back from that purchase.

tl;dr: I don't trust third party controllers.

Solo Act

I'm going to have to say no to this. These things broke way to fucking easily, especially because of how bad the rubber button pieces were under the buttons (for contact). They wore down in only a few months.

Yeah, in my experience the Xbox version of this same controller was great. The PS2 version has had trouble though. I've bought a few brand new ones lately. About half won't connect to the receiver right out of the box.

Logitech Extreme Action (grey model) or something like that for the PS2. The D-Pad is obvious downgrade but outside of that it was very comfy to hold and got some nice material on the sides.

BHd2flh.jpg

I touched this Once .. my "friend" never let me touch his gamepad ever again.

he's not my friend anymore.

Peltz

There was a pretty solid MadCatz controller for GCN.

I think it's comfier than the official one.

I had this. It was horrible. It was the 3rd party controller to (for the most part) get me to swear off 3rd party controllers for good.

The hori digital pad for GameCube was so good

PA.02646.001.jpg

I have this. It is phenomenal.

For some reason, I only played Ocarina of Time with this thing....ehh I liked it lol

71ESE8QQS8L.gif

I had this. It was okay, but the stick drifted and Z button broke after a few years of moderate use.

Rezae

Oh hell yes this was amazing. My go-to. I couldn't tell a difference from the OEM.

Also the Logitech wireless PS2 controller was great.

TI82

Banned
I had this. It was horrible. It was the 3rd party controller to (for the most part) get me to swear off 3rd party controllers for good.

I have this. It is phenomenal.

I had this. It was okay, but the stick drifted and Z button broke after a few years of moderate use.

Only issue for me was the random z button in the middle. But for games like MegaMan network transmission it is basically a requirement.

DJ_Lae

I really liked the Airstyle, and it was my most used PS2 controller for RPGs - as much as they copied the Dual Shock 2 design they fucked up the L2/R2 buttons, and rumble was really weak due to trying to save battery.

HCqcn7G.jpg

It also feels way more solid than an actual Dual Shock 2.

ASCII keyboard controller

Perfect width to keep in your lap for typing and felt to me not much different in weight than a regular gamecube controller.

PowerA WiiU mini controller
81i1VkNJgxL._SX466_.jpg

I didn't like the stick layout for the pro controller or gamepad, and this controller worked well and was surprisingly comfortable while playing Xenoblade Chronicles X

Top Bottom