• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Xbox will start banning unlicensed third party (wireless) controllers in November

Belthazar

Whatever you say. Please show me where I can buy functional unlicensed third party DualSense controllers.

That's what I thought.

You can barely buy any third party DualSense controllers at all, and the ones that do exist are at a price point closer to the DS Edge. Even with this crackdown on unlicensed hardware there's infinitely more third party options on Xbox (and Switch) than what Sony allows.

At least Microsoft isn't out here price gouging people for a vertical stand.

That's actually untrue, you can even buy bootleg joysticks from AliExpress or some other Chinese website and use it just fine on both PS4 and PS5. The most the console will do is warn you you're using an counterfeit.

DaGwaphics

No no, you are right. MS is the pro-consumer party here. How could we not see that allowing perfectly working Xbox One era steering wheel or newer that require an adaptor (for example) is anti consumer.

I love how you sell it as a move to protect the integrity of online play… curiously only when MS says it is ;).

All the licensed X1 accessories work perfectly on Xbox series. If you bought some dodgy game pad during the X1 gen, be lucky that it worked for you all this time. The official position was that 360 accessories were incompatible, if some workarounds worked for a minute those can't be guaranteed forever.

Last edited:

Three

Sony should be doing the EXACT SAME THING. Again, there are more cheaters on PS4/PS5 COD than PC due to the cheap cheat devices and there's no Ricochet for console.
That's where you're wrong. Ricochet works in game on PS4/PS5 like it does on PC. The only difference is that on PC you have to do it at the driver level (since the user can install cheat drivers there)

This has nothing to do with Cronus though. This is about no longer being able to use legit peripheral adaptors on the xbox.

Last edited:

Three

That’s like eating a Big Mac at McDonald’s and bring over a soda from Burger King.
No it's like ordering takeaway and somebody coming and prevent you from drinking your own wine with it. Only the ones sold at the restaurant are allowed now and that's to prevent you getting poisoned of course. Why should you be allowed to drink your own wine when the restaurant sells good licenced wine?

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Modding a MP shooter in any way with an external device to give you an advantage is cheating.
I installed digital triggers in my dualsense and had back buttons soldered onto the chip, I have modified the controller for quicker reaction time and ease of use compared to people on the stock controller.

Am I cheating?

Last edited:
AaPAMXz.jpg

🎵Oops!…I Did It Again🎵

King Dazzar

I wonder what impact this will have on the custom controllers. I have several expensive third party controllers. Do we know if Scuf & Battle Beaver will be impacted?

For those who think this is solely about cheating - why allow cross platform play with PC if thats the focus here.

graywolf323

This is extremely pathetic from Microsoft.
more pathetic is all the evangelists defending it but you know full well if the situation was reversed and PlayStation did this that these same users would be leading the charge about how anti-consumer it was 🙄

edit: the sad part is you don’t even need to read their posts to know who is defending this, seriously how many astroturfers do we have here on GAF still? there’s users that you KNOW will defend anything Xbox does before you even go into a thread and sure enough you find them in there spinning away and deflecting or their favorite modus operandi of trying to SonyToo™ it

Last edited:

King Dazzar

If MS can detect unlicensed third party controllers then why couldn't they ban them for online games only?
For me to respond to that, I'd need to know more fully what it does or doesn't impact. I'd need to know what is licensed and what isnt. For now I simply dont know if my custom pro controllers will simply stop working or not during November.

mrmustard

Banned
Like I said, you win. The circle you have created is complete. Now I know why others on here just give up arguing with you, you just make stuff up and reframe with revisionist history, regardless of what actually was said and meant. Feel free to rehash it a third time with yourself - I'm not going to.
When i started here my slogan was "Ignore threads, don't ignore people". Now it is "Ignore all the idiots" and Neogaf really become much more enjoyable.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If MS can detect unlicensed third party controllers then why couldn't they ban them for online games only?
Have said this before but MS has known people have been using them for years including the cheating devices but Xbox would never blanket ban them said it would be up to each dev how they handled it

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This is extremely pathetic from Microsoft.
more pathetic is all the evangelists defending it but you know full well if the situation was reversed and PlayStation did this that these same users would be leading the charge about how anti-consumer it was 🙄
Trash Spencer won't be held accountable. His green goblins will someone find this is very pro-consumer and whataboutism Sony.

All this over unlicensed controllers, the discord must be popping today.

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

I especially like the post where the dude is saying imagine if the situation was reversed, not realizing that Sony already doesn't allow unlicensed controllers .. or hell their own official DS4 to be used on PS5 games even if you disable the haptics :messenger_grinning_sweat:

You mean like your post here?

There's always a lighthouse, there's always a goalpost.

200.gif

Last edited:

Three

What about the Elite controller, that has trigger stops, does that not gain you a competitive edge? (Also has additional buttons compared to the regular controller)

(By the way, I don't think this has anything to do with cheating at all, this is about money in my opinion)
Expect no response, only excuses from a certain crowd. Even though this isn't related to cronus or Ricochet or modified official controllers, the less you think about what this is actually about the more easier it becomes for them to gaslight and defend that nonsense of blocking legit controller adaptors. Until hopefully MS reverses course on this of course, then it's all a celebration of how great and pro-consumer they always are.

King Dazzar

I especially like the post where the dude is saying imagine if the situation was reversed, not realizing that Sony already doesn't allow unlicensed controllers .. or hell their own official DS4 to be used on PS5 games even if you disable the haptics :messenger_grinning_sweat:

200.gif
Well, at the moment I have no idea if Battle Beaver controllers work or not on Xbox come November. Yet I know they work fine on PlayStation and have never had to ever pause and wonder until just now.

BlackTron

The issue is Brooks and others make great adapters that let things form controllers to wheels work on Xbox (and PS) using controllers from the other side.

I use Brooks adapter to get my PS Logitech wheel work on Xbox as an example. Same with a fight stick.

MS won’t ever license Brooks or similar adapters.

So all this will mean is I will not be playing on the Xbox because sure as shit I ain’t spending $500 to get new wheel setup and arcade stick.

But will a Brook adapter be an unlicensed wireless controller or just another wired controller because you plug in a dongle?

I've never used one but I imagine, being a USB dongle, that as far as the Xbox can tell you are using a wired USB controller.

adamsapple

Well, at the moment I have no idea if Battle Beaver controllers work or not on Xbox come November. Yet I know they work fine on PlayStation and have never had to ever pause and wonder until just now.

Battle Beaver do not manufacture their own controllers, they modify existing officially manufactured ones.

The support page explicitly says controllers not manufactured by Microsoft or officially licensed vendors will be effected.

Three

Did I hit a nerve there with the use of "certain crowd" adamsapple adamsapple ? Funny that I wasn't even talking about you specifically but you associated yourself to it to give a laugh emoji.

Yeah they do, as does Nintendo. you can still use a brook wingman on PS5.
You can play PS5 games with a PS4 controller with it. You can even use a PS3 controller on PS5 if you're feeling adventurous. It's not blocked. It's not that they're supporting it but at least they're not actively blocking it like what's happening here. You can bitch about no DS4 support with PS5 games and most would agree that it sucks. The only benefit is install base for features. No excuses about good licenced products that you need to buy, no excuses about counterfit chinese DS4's frying your board or whatever though.

What would be really funny is if, and it's still an if, the future comes and a console version that only supports Sebile is launched to boost the declining hardware revenue and sell more controllers. Then people can't use their adapters due to the precedent with this update. Their past owned gear no longer works and they can do fuck all about it. You would probably still be stanning as usual with your SonyToo though. What I fear is that people like you letting this slide so easily would actually lead to a sonyToo.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed

200.gif
‘All of this’ ? I called it pathetic mate, it didn’t take me hours to compose that message (y)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
All the licensed X1 accessories work perfectly on Xbox series. If you bought some dodgy game pad during the X1 gen, be lucky that it worked for you all this time. The official position was that 360 accessories were incompatible, if some workarounds worked for a minute those can't be guaranteed forever.
Difference of explicitly blocking vs not supporting is not lost on you, you are smarter than that so well keep carrying water for MS…

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Now I know you just have no idea what you're talking about. Ricochet is completely useless, and only catches people who use DIY cheats that are either free or sold for pennies. The "streamers" they catch and ban are people who have 12 subs and can't afford to invest more than $5 on something that works. Any cheat provider worth their salt is running cheats that inject BEFORE Ricochet loads. It's a simple process and a reason why Valorant actually has a functioning anti-cheat because it runs on the kernel level and loads in when you start windows. Riccohet only runs when you load up COD so you simply run the cheat program before you start COD and that's that.
ManaByte ManaByte will you keep on dodging this?

GHG

From what some are saying its to help crack down on cheating devices so yeah it is indeed a pro consumer move

Devices that open up peripheral support on console aren't only used for cheating though. Many people use them to get a controller/wheel working that isn't necessarily officially supported on the console they are pairing it with.

If Microsoft want to be like this then more reason for people to just ignore their consoles and play their games on PC where they are free to use any peripheral of choice.

DaGwaphics

I think, like all the console manufactures, they want the licensing fees. It's surprising they left any gaps to begin with. If you leave any loopholes, the Chinese counterfeit market will eat you up.

@ P Panajev2001a MS was already more generous than most when they allowed the previous-gen controllers to come along. Allowing unlicensed accessories would be beyond what anyone should expect.

Have people really forgotten how aggressively litigious Sony is with those damn plastic covers, LOL. These companies want this money over the top of the console sale.

adamsapple

‘All of this’ ? I called it pathetic mate, it didn’t take me hours to compose that message (y)

Be honest Banjo, did you read the topic or just react based on the title out of principal ? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

You can be honest with me.

You can bitch about no DS4 support with PS5 games and most would agree that it sucks. The only benefit is install base for features. No excuses about good licenced products that you need to buy, no excuses about counterfit chinese DS4's frying your board or whatever though.

Thereitis.gif

No one's taking away licensed products. Thank you for agreeing with my point.

And as far as 'counterfeit' or unlicensed products, shouldn't be a surprise to anyone if they don't work as intended.

And, yes, the official DS4 controller can't be used with PS5 games, even if you have all the haptic stuff disabled on a system level. That is a pretty significant point.

@ P Panajev2001a MS was already more generous than most when they allowed the previous-gen controllers to come along. Allowing unlicensed accessories would be beyond what anyone should expect.

Have people really forgotten how aggressively litigious Sony is with those damn plastic covers, LOL. These companies want this money over the top of the console sale.

Friday Movie GIF

Last edited:

Unknown?

1) Yes, PC is where I will go when I dump them for this. It has been making rapid advancements for fighting and racing fans.
2) You are obviously completely ignorant of the FGC and Racing sim communities. This deeply affects a huge number of people.
3) Get fucked with your "Just buy another $250 controller every new system" bullshit. There is absolutely no reason for them to block out controllers for their own past systems, ESPECIALLY when they have hundreds of BC titles for that system running on the new one. It's pure anti-consumer money grubbing.
4) Nobody makes arcade sticks of the quality I have anymore. It happened only a couple times. Thousands of people in the FGC do custom builds because of this.
If you go PC, don't use windows. It sucks!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
You buy a console you know you are buying into a controlled system. You want to attach whatever shit you want you get a PC. I've got a Chinese knock-off flight stick, a logitech wheel, a 360 wired controller, a knock-off 360 wired controller, a series controller, a dualsense, couple of kishi's, mayflash wii pro controller adaptor.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Be honest Banjo, did you read the topic or just react based on the title out of principal ? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Thereitis.gif

And as far as 'counterfeit' or unlicensed products, shouldn't be a surprise to anyone if they don't work as intended.

And, yes, the official DS4 controller can't be used with PS5 games, even if you have all the haptic stuff disabled on a system level. That is a pretty significant point.

Friday Movie GIF
I read that Xbox are removing the ability to use unlicensed pads.

I then commented that that is pathetic.

200.gif

Damn, you struck some nerves with this post.

I like how not being an overly emotional bitch about something on the internet makes you a “defender” or a shill. If Nintendo or Sony cracked down on unlicensed wireless controllers no one would give a shit.

But you said it best… all of this whining about unlicensed wireless controllers. I guess people like you and I just don’t understand the gargantuan market we’re talking about here.

midnightAI

Thereitis.gif

Friday Movie GIF
Are you deliberately ignoring posts about Wingman and similar devices that are made so the XBox can support additional controllers including DualSense? (Some of us much prefer DualSense over the XBox controller). This isn't just about cheap Chinese knock off controllers.

Do you expect people with Racing SIM setups to make multiple setups because they can no longer use a single wheel across multiple devices (not my use case but it's certainly a valid one)

midnightAI

Damn, you struck some nerves with this post.

I like how not being an overly emotional bitch about something on the internet makes you a “defender” or a shill. If Nintendo or Sony cracked down on unlicensed wireless controllers no one would give a shit.

But you said it best… all of this whining about unlicensed wireless controllers. I guess people like you and I just don’t understand the gargantuan market we’re talking about here.
Yes, they would, and did when it was announced PS4 controllers wouldn't work on PS5

DaGwaphics

I've really never come across a console player that expects unlicensed accessories to work, hell most of the time I've always stuck with first-party accessories because even the third-party licensed accessories barely work. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

midnightAI

Dualshock 4 are not unlicensed wireless controllers.

Nor does any console vendor have any obligation to support or allow unlicensed, knock-off, peripherals.
I was more talking about that people wouldn't give a shit as though only MS gets criticized which is bull

adamsapple

I've really never come across a console player that expects unlicensed accessories to work, hell most of the time I've always stuck with first-party accessories because even the third-party licensed accessories barely work. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

No, no. They should fully allow unlicensed devices even if they come with the risks of frying your board like my friend T Three brought up earlier.

It's *checks note* aNtI cOnSoOoMeRrR

Top Bottom