• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Falcom's The Legend of Xanadu I & II have dub projects now taking auditions

Dio

Banned
http://tg-16.com/The_Legend_of_Xanadu_Dub_Project.htm

Guide here.

So, The Legend of Xanadu I & II have a fan team with finished translations who are now recruiting voice actors for a new dub project, similarly to how Ys IV had a fan-made dub voice project.

The initial casting period will end May 19th.

Record one or all of the audition lines provided for the character(s) you want to play, then attach the output to an email and send it to xanadudub@gmail.com. All auditions will be kept private

Screenshots here:

http://tg-16.com/Our_Portfolio.htm

K88F06y.png

p6CNCOi.png

The dub is optional, by the way. They will release the script for the cutscenes, just like Ys IV: Dawn of Ys' project did.

They're connected yet again to Falcom's Dragon Slayer series, not directly but as an offshoot:

So, tangentially connected to Faxanadu, Legend of Heroes/Trails/etc, and Sorcerian.

Far right, you can see the series we're talking about in this thread.

Tizoc

By Crom
This is more and more becoming the Year of Falcom

It's a good time be a Falcom fan T_Tv

That's awesome. I enjoyed that Ys IV dub that came out a few years ago. Still have no idea how I ever beat Legend of Xanadu I as a kid not knowing Japanese. Second one was easier to beat but the first had a pretty confusing day and night system that made it hard to progress the main quest. Those side scrolling levels looked incredible.

Reminds me, the final tower dungeon in LoX I was epic. Game even came with a foldout map of it. It goes through like 5 musical variations over 31 floors. Bigger than Darm Tower from Ys I iirc.

Dio

Banned
Xanadu II has gorgeous spritework in the side scrolling sections, hope this gets finished.

Well, like I said in the OP, the actual translation is done, so that part's all finished. The dub project is underway now thanks to it being done. Also, since it's optional you won't have to use the dub specifically if you don't want to.

Beartruck

Well, like I said in the OP, the actual translation is done, so that part's all finished. The dub project is underway now thanks to it being done. Also, since it's optional you won't have to use the dub specifically if you don't want to.
Guess I need to read more thouroughly. Sweet!

Aeana

It's nice to see more PCE CD projects getting finished. There's a lot of great games, but the interest is very low.

Dio

Banned
It's nice to see more PCE CD projects getting finished. There's a lot of great games, but the interest is very low.

Ain't that the truth. It doesn't help that the PC Engine/TG16 is hardly all that popular with America or other english speaking countries despite its classic relevance in Japanese game history. I mean, it did better than the Mega Drive/Genesis in Japan and even briefly outsold the SNES there too.

Aeana

I'd love for people to be able to play the PCE CD version of Emerald Dragon, as well as Angel's Poem 1 and 2, and the Tengai Makyou games. Throw in Alshark too. These are games I've loved since I was younger but haven't been able to share with my English-speaking friends.

At least we will finally get the first non-spinoff Tengai Makyou game in English soon enough, once the Zero translation is ready.

Beartruck

I'd love for people to be able to play the PCE CD version of Emerald Dragon, as well as Angel's Poem 1 and 2, and the Tengai Makyou games. Throw in Alshark too. These are games I've loved since I was younger but haven't been able to share with my English-speaking friends.

At least we will finally get the first non-spinoff Tengai Makyou game in English soon enough, once the Zero translation is ready.
Tengai makyou IV's got a translation guide, but since its only a guide the humor doesn't really come through well. Will be glad to try out 0 as well.

Dio

Banned

So, the team working on Zero is doing that too? Didn't know that. Looking forward to it.

Dio

Banned
Nah, that time ended around 10 years ago.

I don't agree. Ys 8 is fucking incredible, ALL THE TRAILS are getting localized now including the old ones (May 3rd is when Sky 3rd hits and we'll have all three on PC) and Cold Steel III is coming soon. 10 years ago none of the Kisekis really got anything at all over here, and Ys Origin/Oath weren't on Steam.

This dub project is coming soon, the Zwei 1 fan translation is about to come out (TL done, editing almost done) and Zwei II's is going to hit after that, Xanadu Next got released on Steam last year, Brandish The Dark Revenant got localized last year, Trails of Zero is in the works...

It is indeed a good time to be a Falcom fan.

I still need to try the Ys 4 Translation. It's cool to see these older Falcom games that never came here finally getting some love. I wasn't a Falcom fan until recently with Xseed's pushes but there's a lot of intriguing stuff there.

Eusis

Nah, that time ended around 10 years ago.
As long as you're fine with Ys and Kiseki/Trails this is one of the best times to be one. 10 years ago was when they had those massive Sora no Kiseki games that look like they'd be good but were doomed to never be translated.

There's never been a better time for Western Falcom fans no matter which era you favor. All their modern games seeing releases this year in the west and tons of their older stuff like Brandish 2 and Legend of Xanadu here having successful fan translations close to completion, with stuff like the Zwei games being in the pipeline as well.

preta

I don't agree. Ys 8 is fucking incredible, ALL THE TRAILS are getting localized now including the old ones (May 3rd is when Sky 3rd hits and we'll have all three on PC) and Cold Steel III is coming soon. 10 years ago none of the Kisekis really got anything at all over here, and Ys Origin/Oath weren't on Steam.

This dub project is coming soon, the Zwei 2 fan translation is about to come out (TL done, editing almost done,) Xanadu Next got released on Steam last year, Brandish The Dark Revenant got localized last year, Trails of Zero is almost done being fan translated...

Actually... the Zwei fan translation is closer to coming out than Zwei 2's. It's all translated and edited, and only needs debugging at this point. Trails to Zero is also nowhere near done - the team is currently aiming for the end of 2017.

There's also the Brandish 2 Renewal (PC-98, and significantly better than the SNES version) translation, which should be coming very soon, and the Dinosaur Resurrection and VM Japan translations, coming this summer.

this is cool. i got into Ys with the PCE, so the system has a special place for me. haven't tried Xanadu yet though. i love those aesthetics. keep the falcom spirit alive.

PCE CD version of Emerald Dragon adds a bunch of story stuff and voice acting, and it doesn't downgrade combat like in the SFC version. I'd love to give it a shot. As for Alshark, that also has a fancy FM Towns version, but I'm not sure which plays the best. Chilam Balam's the other big Right Stuff JRPG from that period, and one more project for PC-98 fan translation.

Anyway, this LoX dub should be quite fun. Both games beat the snot out of Ys V, and I wonder if Falcom should have focused more on their new Ys since LoX II released to little fanfare. I'll audition at some point and hope the patches come out this summer or something. The last 2-3 years have been too generous for Falcom fans, but I don't see that going away until the wealth of Falcom oldies getting patched/localized eventually runs dry. I'm a little unsure about Dinosaur Resurrection and VM Japan's patch coming this quick, but all power to them so long as they're well-made and tested.

Tizoc

This dub project is coming soon, the Zwei 2 fan translation is about to come out (TL done, editing almost done,) Xanadu Next got released on Steam last year, Brandish The Dark Revenant got localized last year, Trails of Zero is almost done being fan translated...

Brandish PSP is so friggin' good it was the one game I replayed immediately after beating it. I haven't done that with any game since.

Also obligatory Brandish 2 SNES fan translation trailers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FXFa0e73tk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN82Z6R1huw

Dio

Banned
Actually... the Zwei fan translation is closer to coming out than Zwei 2's. It's all translated and edited, and only needs debugging at this point. Trails to Zero is also nowhere near done - the team is currently aiming for the end of 2017.

There's also the Brandish 2 Renewal (PC-98, and significantly better than the SNES version) translation, which should be coming very soon, and the Dinosaur Resurrection and VM Japan translations, coming this summer.

Thanks for the corrections. looking forward to all of those. Editing!

Eila

Good stuff, still have some already translated Falcom stuff to play but I'll take it. Didn't know there were so many projects going on. XSEED have done wonders to revitalizing the Falcom fanbase.

Dio

Banned
Good stuff, still have some already translated Falcom stuff to play but I'll take it. Didn't know there were so many projects going on. XSEED have done wonders to revitalizing the Falcom fanbase.

Still kinda sad TX and Ys 8 got snatched from them. Cold Steel 1/2 PC might be a reaction to that.

Maybe, but I think a project as big as a new PC port requires some planning and contracting in advance of a few months before they can show screens and a comparison video. It's possible they're only using the tidiest parts of the port so far. We may not know if this was explicitly XSEED's tactical move to counter NISA and Aksys beating them to PC ports of Falcom games.

Lucumo

This dub project is coming soon, the Zwei 1 fan translation is about to come out (TL done, editing almost done) and Zwei II's is going to hit after that, Xanadu Next got released on Steam last year, Brandish The Dark Revenant got localized last year, Trails of Zero is in the works...

You could have just bought the games physically. Also, Trails in the Sky the 3rd is already on PC, so that's no argument. Around 10 years ago was the time when Falcom abandoned the PC as a platform. Screw them forever for that. They also hadn't yet released Ys Seven which shat all over the series.

Xanadu Next was already released physically as well, so just because it hits some DRM platform, that's no plus.

I used to love Falcom, a lot (I still have collector's editions of earlier Ys games lying around). They were a top 3 company for me. All that turned to hate over time with all the decisions they made. As bad as it is, I really want them to fail.

(Similarly, Type-Moon is unfortunately walking down a similar path.)

CO_Andy

The romhacking/translation scene been on fire in the past few years. PC98, Saturn, and Goemon! Couldn't be any happier.

As bad as it is, I really want them to fail.
There is something seriously wrong with you. Might i recommend playing other games

Beartruck

Around 10 years ago was the time when Falcom abandoned the PC as a platform. Screw them forever for that. They also hadn't yet released Ys Seven which shat all over the series.

They have released tons of their games on PC recently though? I mean, you could argue that they aren't primarily just a PC developer anymore but in modern day japan that would be a kiss of death for their business. Also, wasn't Y's VII one of their more warmly received games? Think you might be in the minority here.

Lucumo

Might i recommend playing other games

Unless you think I haven't done anything the last five years, I have certainly played other games during that time.

They have released tons of their games on PC recently though? I mean, you could argue that they aren't primarily just a PC developer anymore but in modern day japan that would be a kiss of death for their business. Also, wasn't Y's VII one of their more warmly received games? Think you might be in the minority here.
What are you talking about? What they (Xseed) are re-releasing on the PC has always been PC anyway. They are decade-old games that I've played a long time ago. They stopped developing for the PC in 2009.
Nope, Ys Seven wasn't well received in the community (so that doesn't include new people who played their first or second Falcom game). That game also signified the break/shift in/of Falcom as a company.

Eila

Unless you think I haven't done anything the last five years, I have certainly played other games during that time.

What are you talking about? What they (Xseed) are re-releasing on the PC has always been PC anyway. They are decade-old games that I've played a long time ago. They stopped developing for the PC in 2009.
Nope, Ys Seven wasn't well received in the community (so that doesn't include new people who played their first or second Falcom game). That game also signified the break/shift in/of Falcom as a company.

We're getting Ys VIII and Tokyo Xanadu PC on western release date. Cold Steel 1 and 2 ports as well. Those are new to PC. If things go our way and the games sell Cold Steel 3 PC is a no brainer.
Also, the PC games XSEED has put out are quite enhaced over the old japanese versions.
I found out about Falcom thanks to XSEED and I'm sure many others did so as well. Thanks to that we're getting all these games translated at a much higher rate than 10 years ago.

Lucumo

We're getting Ys VIII and Tokyo Xanadu PC on western release date. Cold Steel 1 and 2 ports as well. Those are new to PC. If things go our way and the games sell Cold Steel 3 PC is a no brainer.
Also, the PC games XSEED has put out are quite enhaced over the old japanese versions.
I found out about Falcom thanks to XSEED and I'm sure many others did so as well. Thanks to that we're getting all these games translated at a much higher rate than 10 years ago.
That's different from what he said though (as it's not about recently released games for PC). I've burned myself enough with Falcom already, so I stopped being interested in their new games (and ports of ports...eh, developing for the PC and then porting it to other platforms would be ideal).
Not really. I asked Xseed back then whether it would be worthwhile for people who already own the game and there came basically nothing from them.

Eila

That's different from what he said though (as it's not about recently released games for PC). I've burned myself enough with Falcom already, so I stopped being interested in their new games (and ports of ports...eh, developing for the PC and then porting it to other platforms would be ideal).
Not really. I asked Xseed back then whether it would be worthwhile for people who already own the game and there came basically nothing from them.

Some games pretty have minor changes. Widescreen/custom resolutions/better gamepad support is a given for all of them but they have gone out of their way to get higher quality assets for the Trails games taken from the PS3 version. They also brought the new content from the PSP ports of the games back to PC. Just recently they patched the games so you can skip S-crafts. I believe that's exclusive to their versions.
Probably the coolest changes are those on Ys VI:
Brand new ”Catastrophe Mode" where healing items can't be purchased or stored, to create a gameplay experience more in line with later entries
Newly-added ability to warp among checkpoints

Lucumo

That's interesting, since I argued that the The Ark of Napishtim changes are among the most pointless. Warping among checkpoints...I don't care about that, and am actually happier without it. For me, it's one of those additions for the lazy gamer who can't be bothered to run through certain regions again and appreciate the world.
“Catastrophe Mode” is just a simple rule change. No effort taken, not interested to play through the game again (I 100%'ed it the first time) just for that as it offers nothing new.

Strings

Ys Seven wasn't well received in the community (so that doesn't include new people who played their first or second Falcom game). That game also signified the break/shift in/of Falcom as a company.

Kind of a nebulous thing to say. I'd agree it wasn't received as warmly, but that's about it.

I understand it can be annoying to see Falcom adopting high school settings and waifus with Tokyo Xanadu and Cold Steel, but the games are still far from hate-worthy.

Arthea

That's interesting, since I argued that the The Ark of Napishtim changes are among the most pointless. Warping among checkpoints...I don't care about that, and am actually happier without it. For me, it's one of those additions for the lazy gamer who can't be bothered to run through certain regions again and appreciate the world.
“Catastrophe Mode” is just a simple rule change. No effort taken, not interested to play through the game again (I 100%'ed it the first time) just for that as it offers nothing new.

I like what Xseed is doing, I'm happy with enhancements too. I must be one of those lazy gamers you mention, and I like being cared for. We are people too, you know.

Lucumo

Kind of a nebulous thing to say. I'd agree it wasn't received as warmly, but that's about it.

I understand it can be annoying to see Falcom adopting high school settings and waifus with Tokyo Xanadu and Cold Steel, but the games are still far from hate-worthy.
It depends on what you define as "as warmly". It ranged from slightly negative to pretty negative (I'm obviously more on the latter's side, especially looking back at it and being able to see where it went from there). Only outside the "community" I've really seen more neutral or positive mentions.

I really have to disagree here. Though, as I said, I have more disdain for Falcom and they are products representing the company these days.

I like what Xseed is doing, I'm happy with enhancements too. I must be one of those lazy gamers you mention, and I like being cared for. We are people too, you know.
Sure, for people who are new to Falcom's games, it doesn't really matter. They haven't had the experience of following their games over the countless years. Those of us who were longtime fans, feel like they were pretty much tossed aside. Catering to different people does result in that. So some fans just left, some fans adapted and some fans are still in the state of bitterness (like me) who aren't as overjoyed when it comes to these topics. Meh.

Beartruck

I agree. I don't see it as being "lazy" to want to skip past an area I've already been through, I see it as not wasting my time backtracking.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

Hell yeah. I have a lot of those games and they are really good, but still would prefer to play them in English.

Didn't know there was a Tenshi no Uta sequel. I'm gonna have to look at up. The first game is cool and the art style is pretty original for RPGs of the time. I'd like to add the Startling Odyssey series to the list, I think that crazy right wing guy was working on Startling Odyssey 2 at one point years ago.

One of my friends is an actor in local plays, and he loves RPGs. I told him to submit an audition as a VA for these games and he said he might be interested.

Dio

Banned
Xanadu Next was already released physically as well, so just because it hits some DRM platform, that's no plus.

I just wanted to tell you that XSEED releases GOG versions of all their Falcom releases. You don't have to buy off Steam if you don't want to...

Also, for how much of a 'real fan' you're posturing as and complaining about new blood, where did you actually start as a fan anyway? Are people who love new Ys but started with PC-88 Ys III or PC-98 Brandish or DOS Sorcerian 'not real fans'? I get the feeling that a lot of people like you started playing Falcom titles in the Napishtim era (6, OiF, etc.) and start talking about how much of a Real Fan you are and how much you hate that Falcom doesn't really develop for PC anymore.

Anyway, I'm really glad this is getting exposure on Gaming side of GAF. I know the dub project creators really wanted to post something about it here but couldn't get registered, so they will at least get something from my post about it, hopefully.

Lucumo

I just wanted to tell you that XSEED releases GOG versions of all their Falcom releases. You don't have to buy off Steam if you don't want to...

Also, for how much of a 'real fan' you're posturing as and complaining about new blood, where did you actually start as a fan anyway? Are people who love new Ys but started with PC-88 Ys III or PC-98 Brandish or DOS Sorcerian 'not real fans'? I get the feeling that a lot of people like you started playing Falcom titles in the Napishtim era (6, OiF, etc.) and start talking about how much of a Real Fan you are and how much you hate that Falcom doesn't really develop for PC anymore.

Anyway, I'm really glad this is getting exposure on Gaming side of GAF. I know the dub project creators really wanted to post something about it here but couldn't get registered, so they will at least get something from my post about it, hopefully.
I know. You wrote Steam, not GoG though.

Both your questions were already answered, one directly and one indirectly.

Re: fandom, I've come across many older Falcom (and Japanese PC game) fans on Twitter who talk about the newer Falcom games here and there, rarely in a negative way. The actual long-time fans in Japan are probably too busy to play something like Ys VIII or Sen no Kiseki III these days, but they could offer more nuanced responses on the subject than just words put in their mouths.

Around 10 years ago was the time when Falcom abandoned the PC as a platform. Screw them forever for that. They also hadn't yet released Ys Seven which shat all over the series.

As bad as it is, I really want them to fail.
Falcom only abandoned PC development because SoftBank dropped their physical PC game distribution. President Kondo mentioned before how much Falcom depends on physical sales of products in Japan. Going digital-only would still have put them in the red well before spending way too much on a new distribution contract or self-publishing infrastructure. They made a difficult commercial decision that ended up saving the company after games like Zwei!! II bombed (neither Ys Origin nor Trails 3rd sold as well as mid-2000s games either); meanwhile things were promising on the PSP side. Ys Seven, for better or worse, succeeded and made the platform transition clear, but I don't think Falcom's development culture and priorities are irreversibly ruined just looking at the quality put into Ys VIII.

Please reconsider wanting "them to fail." Some people have worked at Falcom so long it's become their life's work, and it's never cool to want financial/job-related problems on people you've never met (who probably work their asses off to make huge games in such a small team). Previous startup developers formed by ex-Falcom employees (Quintet and Gruppo1) didn't last too long on their lonesome, either, and the market's even riskier now should Falcom disband and its employees want to start a new developer.

”Catastrophe Mode" is just a simple rule change. No effort taken, not interested to play through the game again (I 100%'ed it the first time) just for that as it offers nothing new.
I've played through Ark two times (one on Nightmare) using Catastrophe. Remembering distinct and fly-over areas of the game is less of a problem than I expected, and warping didn't spoil my appreciation of the game world. And I'm not sure how any of this makes me or most others "the lazy gamer" when it really just saves time and fixes the game's pacing, which wasn't that great to begin with.

This would be actually annoying if Ys VIII didn't come out and show that old Falcom's still around where it counts. I'm also disappointed in their recent direction with Kiseki, but there's still much of the series to go.

It depends on what you define as "as warmly". It ranged from slightly negative to pretty negative (I'm obviously more on the latter's side, especially looking back at it and being able to see where it went from there). Only outside the "community" I've really seen more neutral or positive mentions.
Even the Ys community thread's neutral on Seven, and elsewhere I've seen lots of positive reception in addition to a vocal audience criticizing it. True hyperbole comes from someone saying Seven or Celceta's the worst game in the whole series, often ignoring Ys V or Mask of the Sun out of convenience. The most useful conversations about a game's quality come from complex argument, but even without that I think most people enjoyed and like Seven, though fewer love it. Same goes with Celceta in a lesser sense (I just played through the PC version, patched, and had a better time than I expected).

Overall, I'd love for XSEED and Falcom to do another survey like the one done in 2007 (not that I'm expecting Falcom to make games based on poll results again) just to see metrics for their audience in public.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'd love more translated RPGs. I own Tengai Makyou IV on Saturn. I look through the manual and see all the quality put into it and I wonder why this game isn't in English.

Top Bottom