• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Falcom's The Legend of Xanadu I & II have dub projects now taking auditions

Lucumo

Re: fandom, I've come across many older Falcom (and Japanese PC game) fans on Twitter who talk about the newer Falcom games here and there, rarely in a negative way. The actual long-time fans in Japan are probably too busy to play something like Ys VIII or Sen no Kiseki III these days, but they could offer more nuanced responses on the subject than just words put in their mouths.
Do you think so? I've, like I said, made the experience that people turned their back on Falcom and either left completely or just don't bother anymore. The part that adapted is active though, as mentioned (no idea how it's on Twitter as I don't use social media). The reviews for VIII are better (from fans) but there is the saying: "Fool me once, bla, fool me twice, bla". This would be the third time for the Ys series and I'm definitely done at this point.

Falcom only abandoned PC development because SoftBank dropped their physical PC game distribution. President Kondo mentioned before how much Falcom depends on physical sales of products in Japan. Going digital-only would still have put them in the red well before spending way too much on a new distribution contract or self-publishing infrastructure. They made a difficult commercial decision that ended up saving the company after games like Zwei!! II bombed (neither Ys Origin nor Trails 3rd sold as well as mid-2000s games either); meanwhile things were promising on the PSP side. Ys Seven, for better or worse, succeeded and made the platform transition clear, but I don't think Falcom's development culture and priorities are irreversibly ruined just looking at the quality put into Ys VIII.

Please reconsider wanting "them to fail." Some people have worked at Falcom so long it's become their life's work, and it's never cool to want financial/job-related problems on people you've never met (who probably work their asses off to make huge games in such a small team). Previous startup developers formed by ex-Falcom employees (Quintet and Gruppo1) didn't last too long on their lonesome, either, and the market's even riskier now should Falcom disband and its employees want to start a new developer.
Falcom is the only tangible company in this instance though, it's not like I have any connection to Softbank. And I can say: "I did my part", at least on the games' side (importing is expensive). Also, don't forget, them switching from PC to handheld isn't the only problem.

Like I said, I'm bitter. Usually, it subsides after talking a while about this and that but then, after several months, a new thread like this will pop up and it will be the same all over again (like this is). The market is in bad shape and has been for a long time. One shouldn't be putting people down because they are compromising themselves to earn their living, but that's still hard to do when you are passionate about something, even after all this time.

I've played through Ark two times (one on Nightmare) using Catastrophe. Remembering distinct and fly-over areas of the game is less of a problem than I expected, and warping didn't spoil my appreciation of the game world. And I'm not sure how any of this makes me or most others "the lazy gamer" when it really just saves time and fixes the game's pacing, which wasn't that great to begin with.
It's not really "just" about saving time. It's about creating a realistic world and usually, warping is pretty counter-productive in that regard...unless it fits the lore.

This would be actually annoying if Ys VIII didn't come out and show that old Falcom's still around where it counts. I'm also disappointed in their recent direction with Kiseki, but there's still much of the series to go.
What I said above applies, not gonna try again.

Even the Ys community thread's neutral on Seven, and elsewhere I've seen lots of positive reception in addition to a vocal audience criticizing it. True hyperbole comes from someone saying Seven or Celceta's the worst game in the whole series, often ignoring Ys V or Mask of the Sun out of convenience. The most useful conversations about a game's quality come from complex argument, but even without that I think most people enjoyed and like Seven, though fewer love it. Same goes with Celceta in a lesser sense (I just played through the PC version, patched, and had a better time than I expected).
To be fair, there aren't that many people on NeoGAF that play old PC games (it's more of a console community after all), let alone Japanese ones. You will always find the odd person here and there that knows a lot and played a lot (not just in this regard but in general) but they are always the exception. And to be fair, Mask of the Sun isn't Falcom, it just bears the series' name.

Mozendo

Oh this is really sweet, I didn't know people were people were fan translation older Falcom games. Any other Falcom games currently getting the same treatment?

As bad as it is, I really want them to fail.
It's pathetic how childish some people in the gaming community can be.

preta

Oh this is really sweet, I didn't know people were people were fan translation older Falcom games. Any other Falcom games currently getting the same treatment?

Brandish 2 PC-98 (better than the SNES version), Zwei, Zwei II, Dinosaur Resurrection, VM Japan, and Zero no Kiseki are all being worked on currently. Brandish 2 and Zwei are almost done.

Mozendo

Brandish 2 PC-98 (better than the SNES version), Zwei, Zwei II, Dinosaur Resurrection, VM Japan, and Zero no Kiseki are all being worked on currently. Brandish 2 and Zwei are almost done.

Do we know for sure that Zwei, Zwei II, and Dinosaur Resurrection are still being worked on? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places but I have seen any news in a long time.

preta

Do we know for sure that Zwei, Zwei II, and Dinosaur Resurrection are still being worked on? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places but I have seen any news in a long time.

Yes. The Zwei and Zwei II team has been keeping quiet for the most part, but they're pretty close to done with both now. The Dinosaur Resurrection and VM Japan projects are being worked on and are aiming for this summer.

Dio

Banned
Oh, I forgot to include that the initial casting period will end May 19th. I'll add that to the OP.

NightWolve

Neo Member
Hey Dio, thanks for creating this thread. I was trying to make one also when I saw SamIAm's request, but my post count was too low for thread creation. I wasn't able to find it with the search feature, but somebody pointed out you had already created it.

Publicity for this dubbing effort even made it to Kotaku which surprised me!

http://kotaku.com/1794124718

Anyway, the typical hangout for the programmer and translator for this project is at PCEngineFX.com, so FYI for any PC Engine fans here that could be looking forward to this, and since they're very close to the finish line, we should see English patches this year.

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=22141.0 - Registration required.

You can find an update from tancients, the translator, at the Heroes of Legends forums, but you'll need to be registered. She was last heard Jan 27 saying Zwei!! was 99% complete, but in need of a programmer to help finish off lingering issues. She's committed to finishing that, but for Zwei 2 she said, "For all intents and purposes, Zwei 2 is "shelved". We may just end up releasing the raw translation and letting someone else take it from there at later point."

http://heroesoflegend.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=316

I dunno if preta got later updates, but that's the last one I know of.

All that turned to hate over time with all the decisions they made. As bad as it is, I really want them to fail.
That's funny, never heard anyone say this for Falcom. I feel this way for XSEED Games, they deserve the same fate as Working Designs (for more reasons than just trying to copy 'em and kicking Victor Ireland in the nutz on that failed Lunar collaboration), but I'd never say this about Falcom.

Yeah, I was similarly disappointed when I learned that Ys 7 was coming to the PSP instead of the PC, I own all their PC stuff up to Ys Origin, I loved playing Felghana on my PC (never did beat Galbalan on Inferno mode, though), and Ys I&II Complete was a treat to play after growing up with the TurboGrafx-CD versions of Ys Book I&II.

But yeah, I later learned about what Dragoon En Regalia reported here, the PC market in Japan was crashing, Falcom lost their PC distributor, this SoftBank (information that was translated and passed around). Consoles/portables were doing much better, so they stayed in business by moving on over. There wasn't really anything I could hold against them if realities forced this. Anyway, reports say things are turning around these days, and now you got NIS America who'll have an Ys 8 PC port on launch which I'll be buying myself since I'm not in the market for a PS4 console just for a couple of games I might be interested in.

Oh right, there are those Chinese PC ports for Celceta and Ys 7. I was thinking of getting them from yesasia.com some time. But as I don't find the time to game much anyway, and I don't think any fan patches are ready, it's low priority, if ever.

http://www.yesasia.com/global/ys-fo...chinese-edition/1046408708-0-0-0-en/info.html

NightWolve

Neo Member
This brings up a nice opportunity for a blast from the past, heh.

Somebody on Kotaku asked what kind of dub performances the team was looking for.
Excellent! What kind of bad-good voice Turbografx acting are they looking for? Final Zone II levels of quality dubbing? ”Oh OHHHHH!!" ”You are... an able soldier.... someone might hate you.... just for being so good...." ”I don't like the sound of these... bio monsters..."
Answer: They're looking for Last Alert [TG-16 CD] type performances! Everything properly captured and honored seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvl4qqwf9Pk

:)

/end sarcasm

Sadly, I never caught anything as good or funny by gameological as that...

EDIT: The team is slightly worried somebody might miss the sarcasm here and the reference of the legendary and hilariously bad dubbing work of Last Alert. In case there was any question, they're going for a as-close-to-professional dub as possible of course.

Lucumo

That's funny, never heard anyone say this for Falcom. I feel this way for XSEED Games, they deserve the same fate as Working Designs (for more reasons than just trying to copy 'em and kicking Victor Ireland in the nutz on that failed Lunar collaboration), but I'd never say this about Falcom.

Yeah, I was similarly disappointed when I learned that Ys 7 was coming to the PSP instead of the PC, I own all their PC stuff up to Ys Origin, I loved playing Felghana on my PC (never did beat Galbalan on Inferno mode, though), and Ys I&II Complete was a treat to play after growing up with the TurboGrafx-CD versions of Ys Book I&II.

But yeah, I later learned about what Dragoon En Regalia reported here, the PC market in Japan was crashing, Falcom lost their PC distributor, this SoftBank (information that was translated and passed around). Consoles/portables were doing much better, so they stayed in business by moving on over. There wasn't really anything I could hold against them if realities forced this. Anyway, reports say things are turning around these days, and now you got NIS America who'll have an Ys 8 PC port on launch which I'll be buying myself since I'm not in the market for a PS4 console just for a couple of games I might be interested in.

Oh right, there are those Chinese PC ports for Celceta and Ys 7. I was thinking of getting them from yesasia.com some time. But as I don't find the time to game much anyway, and I don't think any fan patches are ready, it's low priority, if ever.

http://www.yesasia.com/global/ys-fo...chinese-edition/1046408708-0-0-0-en/info.html
Well, I did put things more into perspective later down the line.
I personally don't really care about XSEED since I don't feel their products are worth buying the game again (and only digitally at that). And...I did glance at an earlier post of yours on this forum. Seems like you have some history with them.

I know, I would imagine most somewhat older Western Ys fans know about you. Left the website back when you weren't quite happy about the leak, as I'm not a fan of drama. (So this is also how I probably avoided hearing about the XSEED thing earlier.)

Do post your impressions when you have played the game.

Yep, I'm aware as well. But considering the games aren't good, there is no point in importing them. What is sad though, as Steam is gaining popularity in China, physical games like these will probably become rarer. That hurts, being a fan of physical goods.

I just picked these up with a number of other PC Engine games. I probably won't play the translated versions, but I'm excited to start Xanadu I & II, probably when I finish Eiyuu Densetsu IV. I've actually been meaning to make a thread about the PC engine.

You could have just bought the games physically. Also, Trails in the Sky the 3rd is already on PC, so that's no argument. Around 10 years ago was the time when Falcom abandoned the PC as a platform. Screw them forever for that. They also hadn't yet released Ys Seven which shat all over the series. ... As bad as it is, I really want them to fail.

(Similarly, Type-Moon is unfortunately walking down a similar path.)

What an incredible irony for you that Falcom's move away from PC is the very thing that has made them a success story.

NightWolve

Neo Member

SamIAm, the translator/director heard your stuff, says it's good (I thought so also, looks like you have experience), asked me to tell you to write him at xanadudub@gmail.com

Top Bottom