• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cosmic Star Heroine |OT| Alyssa's Chrono Phantasy

jacobeid

Banned
I couldn't wait for the Vita version like I originally said lol. Just bought it for PC.....No idea when I'll have time to play it though :(

Timeaisis

Psybe
has one if
you talk to him on the ship
Z'xorv
has one with
the bounty hunter on the second floor of Stakes in New Rhomu
Dave
has one if
you talk to him on the ship

I think that might be it, can't think of any others i found off the top of my head

I was hoping for a
Sue
one because I remember he had like a
Father's Day tie
or something like that that alluded to a
family
, but no dice it seems.

Hmmm thanks.

Yeah, I found the
Z'xorv
one yesterday. For the other two, I've talked to them on the ship...and nothing. Maybe I'm not quite there where it needs to unlock yet. I'm about to start
the asteroid belt
part, so I think I'm near the end.

azyless

I've only played about 2 hours, haven't encountered any noticeable bugs and the game looks really good so far, good job guys :)

Freeman76

The repeated conversation bug on PS4 was fixed almost immediately after launch, but I can't get the patch up on PSN. Been trying for a while.

And yeah, we've been trying to get a hold of anybody on Sony Europe for days to either delay the release or apply a patch, but no luck. If you bought the game on EU PSN, please don't play it right now.

Any news on this patch yet Robert?

Any news on this patch yet Robert?

From what I'm hearing, it's going to take Sony EU a while to fix things for us. As far as the NA PSN patch, I'm not sure. Might be able to get it up soon, might take a while.

This whole launch has been so depressing. All the bug/patch issues, review codes not going out on time, below expected sales, next to no reviews. I'm seriously debating what I should do next in my life after we try to salvage this - should we try to make another game (and if so, how to finance the thing), should I try to get a regular job with an established video game company, should I just leave the industry all together?

xylo

Neo Member
From what I'm hearing, it's going to take Sony EU a while to fix things for us. As far as the NA PSN patch, I'm not sure. Might be able to get it up soon, might take a while.

This whole launch has been so depressing. All the bug/patch issues, review codes not going out on time, below expected sales, next to no reviews. I'm seriously debating what I should do next in my life after we try to salvage this - should we try to make another game (and if so, how to finance the thing), should I try to get a regular job with an established video game company, should I just leave the industry all together?
Speaking as someone that deals with this type of stuff hear me out:

You need to take a step back and look at this objectively, but in your current state you can't. Just list out everything that went "wrong" and save that for when the fire drill is done.

After you're stable, then review the list. Ask yourself why it happened, what should have happened, and what you should do again if you decide to continue with a new project. Dwelling on this right now in fire drill mode is the wrong thing to do and isn't going to help the issue.

Freeman76

Now probably isnt the best time to be making decisions like that. Games like this are popular with so many of us, and it clearly has been developed with a great deal of care. I think the word will spread gradually and you will have a great following from it eventually.

For what its worth, your approach clearly shows you have integrity and care not only about your product but peoples experience with it as well. That goes a long way, yes its frustrating that we have to wait for a patch in the UK, but I can deal with it and understand you must be feeling a lot of pressure over it.

Don't give up on us, we need Cosmic Star Online next! :)

I am so saddened to hear this. I really hope things come together for both you and Cosmic Star Heroine.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I am so saddened to hear this. I really hope things come together for both you and Cosmic Star Heroine.

Same. It's crazy how just a few minor launch hiccups can effectively ruin a game's launch and impact dev revenue like that.

I hope momentum picks up and things work out for you, Robert. You deserve it so much.

I know its rough right now, but just let a little time pass after the dust settles. What really happened here is that you guys put out an incredible game, with one of the smartest, most interesting battle systems I've ever had the pleasure of playing, great characters, a fun story, and a sorely missed art style. As the bugs get ironed out and reviews start to come in, I can't see how this game won't end up having some long legs.

I had my eye on this game from the moment you announced it, was way more hyped than I ever should have been, and yet still the game in no way disappointed. You did amazing work here, despite what happens next.

Timeaisis

:(

I'm not just saying this, but Cosmic Star Heroine is legit one of the best RPGs I have ever played, and I've played a crapton of RPGs. Not lying here, it's fantastic. I've got a few couple chapters to go, but unless it gets really shit later (not happening lol), it will be in my top 10. Anyway, you and Bill and the rest of the team's dedication really shows. I love how the game wastes none of the player's time, and yet still asks them to play it, a stark contrast to many other RPGs I can think of (braindead combat and autopilot on everything else). It's constantly engaging. As for the sales, I have no idea why this game isn't getting more coverage because it's such a gem, but hopefully, it's one of those cases where word of mouth just eventually gets around and it has a strong lifespan. I'm hoping for the best for you and the team, of course. And in my selfish fandom, I'd want you guys to make more games, but I know that's not possible sometimes.

Whatever you do, please don't leave the industry. We need more design-centric developers like you and the rest of Zeboyd that quietly are shaking up entire game genres without huge notice. In a weird way CSH has kind of revolutionized RPGs for me with it's item system, exceptionally tactical battle system, lack of grinding, and quick pace. You've ripped out all the problems that RPGs have been bogged down with the last ten or so years (that developers have doubled down on, instead of fixing). You've made so many good decisions and brought to life so many interesting ideas, and yet no one is paying attention. And that's gotta be frustrating as hell. But I'm paying attention. I guess that's not enough, but hell, I'm paying a lot of attention. I know that means jack shit in terms of sales, but just know it, maybe that'll be good for now. CSH is fantastic. I love it and thanks for making it.

Nauren

I'd have bought this already if I didn't read about the nightmare glitches. I have money sitting in my wallet for it...

will def pick up once patches go out.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Keep your head up dude, I'll buy the game as soon as I finish Persona 5. Which game doesnt have bugs at launch nowadays? Im sure you'll get it ironed out quickly.

Like someone said take a step back, assess the overall picture and prioritize from there.

This industry would be worse off without you. Us fans of turn based RPGs would be worse off without you.

zakujanai

I see that this game is now on EU PSN, so when will humble update to have my code on? Still says:

"Thanks for purchasing Cosmic Star Heroine - Game Tier!
When available, you'll be able to get all your digital content listed below right here on your download page!

Your purchase of Cosmic Star Heroine - Game Tier gets you:

Cosmic Star Heroine, cross-platform and DRM-free"

It's really starting to bug me that I backed this 3 and a half years ago and I still don't have my copy over a week after release.

Edit: Saw on Twitter that they haven't been given EU codes. Not sure who's at fault but this is launch is a disaster.

You can't stop now. Use this engine to make another Crono-esque RPG. Cosmic is such an amazing game. It would be such a mistake to stop on such a high note.

Violet_0

Banned
the indie market appears to be oversatured at the moment. For every Stardew Valley, there seem to be many more indie titles of similar quality that sell a pitiful amount. It seems like you either strike gold and make it big time or, in the more likely scenario, you risk falling into obscurity among the dozens of other games that get released every week, regardless of how good your work is

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Any news on the GOG release? Not a big deal with a DRM-free version on Humble already, but... y'know. It's kinda nice having it slot nicely into GOG Galaxy.

I see that this game is now on EU PSN, so when will humble update to have my code on? Still says:

"Thanks for purchasing Cosmic Star Heroine - Game Tier!
When available, you'll be able to get all your digital content listed below right here on your download page!

Your purchase of Cosmic Star Heroine - Game Tier gets you:

Cosmic Star Heroine, cross-platform and DRM-free"

It's really starting to bug me that I backed this 3 and a half years ago and I still don't have my copy over a week after release.

Edit: Saw on Twitter that they haven't been given EU codes. Not sure who's at fault but this is launch is a disaster.

Even if we had EU codes, they wouldn't be any good because Sony Europe still hasn't finished certifying the pre-launch patch. :(

Do you have a Windows PC? I could send you a Steam code in the meantime.

Mikey Jr.

Damn, this hurts.

Don't know what to tell you. You know best.

But it feels like a lot of that stuff are things that you can learn from. It seems like people are really enjoying the game (I bought it day 1 on PS4, just waiting for patch first), it's just a lot of stuff that kind of went wrong.

Also, at least for me, you guys released it in a little bit of a bad time. I am knee deep in another 100 hour RPG (Persona 5), everything else kind of takes a back seat.

Hope everything works out for you.

Freeman76

Even if we had EU codes, they wouldn't be any good because Sony Europe still hasn't finished certifying the pre-launch patch. :(

I started the game (bloody great intro btw) as I wanted to see how it is, and had no issues so far about half hour in. Really want to keep playing but if you really think its not worth playing until we get the patch I guess I should stop. Great start though!!

Gala

I finally had the time to download the game and just started it! Looking for ward to play the game! and recommend it to all of my friends (
for them to buy it
)

Lamptramp

I can't imagine the stress and disappointment you're feeling but stick with it and don't make any big decisions until the dust has settled. You've always come across as a honest and open team and I for one appreciate it, we'd be lesser without Zeboyd. I'm as disappointed as the next person we're not quite there in the EU but I can and will wait and hopefully enjoy the game all the more when it's finally here.

But it feels like a lot of that stuff are things that you can learn from. It seems like people are really enjoying the game (I bought it day 1 on PS4, just waiting for patch first), it's just a lot of stuff that kind of went wrong.

Honestly, what we should have done is scaled back the scope of the game a few years ago. There was just too much stuff to have to create with the result that we ended up not having enough time at the end for final polishing & logistics. Like I knew that it was more difficult to do patches for PS4 than it is on Steam, but I had no idea it was SO much more difficult. If we had had an extra month, we could have worked out those kinks BEFORE launch instead of during/after.

There's no point in cancelling it now because 99% of the work has already been done, but we also should have cancelled the Vita port early on. I ended up having to rewrite a lot of the game engine to get the performance good enough for the Vita and that's time & money that could have been saved since the engine didn't need the rewrites to run decently on PC/PS4.

Granjinha

the indie market appears to be oversatured at the moment. For every Stardew Valley, there seem to be many more indie titles of similar quality that sell a pitiful amount. It seems like you either strike gold and make it big time or, in the more likely scenario, you risk falling into obscurity among the dozens of other games that get released every week, regardless of how good your work is

That's true to all markets, tbh. And you don't need to be Stardew to have success (and i'm sure Robert didn't expect that). I think the lack of sales of CSH steems from the lack of coverage of the game, considering it's quality. Hollow Knight also had a slow launch.

Really, really hope you guys can turn things around. I stopped playing Persona 5 for CSH. I think that speaks quite highly about the quality of CSH.

I'm very sad to hear this :(

Well, you could save some money making a new game that uses mostly CSH assets. A sequel is a bit dangerous if the first game isn't wildly popular (I usually avoid sequels if I haven't played the original), but you could try a spin-off set in the same world, using the same combat system etc. You already have some lore to start a new story, and if it's a hit, maybe it could even get people interested in CSH in the future.

That's true to all markets, tbh. And you don't need to be Stardew to have success (and i'm sure Robert didn't expect that). I think the lack of sales of CSH steems from the lack of coverage of the game, considering it's quality. Hollow Knight also had a slow launch.

Hollow Knight was actually one of the games I was using to base my sales expectations. Thought with the Sony marketing support, we'd at least be in the ballpark there. :(

Well, you could save some money making a new game that uses mostly CSH assets. A sequel is a bit dangerous if the first game isn't wildly popular (I usually avoid sequels if I haven't played the original), but you could try a spin-off set in the same world, using the same combat system etc. You already have some lore to start a new story, and if it's a hit, maybe it could even get people interested in CSH in the future.

If we do a new game, it won't be CSH-related, but it would heavily reuse the CSH engine (and probably gameplay).

peakish

This reminds me of a Twitter thread I read from another indie game developer, which mostly echoes this comment. About how releasing a game isn't sweet relief but worrying about sales, doing a lot of communicating with different store fronts, getting review copies out there and at the same time dealing with customer support and a ton of new bug reports.

I wish you and the other developers the best in this. I've been enjoying the game a lot, especially how every added team member and item brings something unique to the table. I'm constantly heading to the equip screen to change something up and it's great.

Burt

I remember looking at Momodora IV floating around 8-9k on Steamspy a few weeks after release and being stunned and disheartened that such an awesome game hadn't hit 10k yet. Sometimes these things just take time to percolate. CSH is at least as good as Momodora. Keep your chin up - the sales'll come.

This reminds me of a Twitter thread I read from another indie game developer, which mostly echoes this comment. About how releasing a game isn't sweet relief but worrying about sales, doing a lot of communicating with different store fronts, getting review copies out there and at the same time dealing with customer support and a ton of new bug reports.

Yeah, even though I should know better, those last few weeks when I was working around the clock, I kept telling myself "Just gotta finish this and then the good reviews will come, I'll be able to take a break, and my family will have money again." And of course, I'm mostly still waiting for all 3 of those things.

I remember looking at Momodora IV floating around 8-9k on Steamspy a few weeks after release and being stunned and disheartened that such an awesome game hadn't hit 10k yet. Sometimes these things just take time to percolate. CSH is at least as good as Momodora. Keep your chin up - the sales'll come.

Thanks, that's the kind of stuff I like to hear.

zakujanai

I do have a PC but would that be in place of the PSN version?

I didn't see the previous post about the troubles you are having, it's a shame to see Sony mess this up so much.

Probably isn't much consolation but what I've seen of the game lives up to the kickstarter and I'm looking forward to (eventually) getting to play it.

Freeman76

Yeah, even though I should know better, those last few weeks when I was working around the clock, I kept telling myself "Just gotta finish this and then the good reviews will come, I'll be able to take a break, and my family will have money again." And of course, I'm mostly still waiting for all 3 of those things.

The reviews are good though, steam is very positive, hardcore gamer gave it 4.5 and its early days yet too. This is probably resting under peoples radars a bit due to the insane releases lately. A game like this is bound to get a lot of interest, but possibly in the way of a slow burner rather than coming out the gates at full speed. A review thread will go up once there are a couple more (which will happen since there are a few reviewers on GAF that will have read this and probably be working through it now.)

It must be hard at this stage not to be hard on yourself or lament your situation, but thats exactly what you need to avoid as it wont help one bit. Chill with your family and loved ones, remind yourself of what matters to you aside from the game, and be kind to yourself while the word spreads. All the best man :)

Kyrios

Hollow Knight was actually one of the games I was using to base my sales expectations. Thought with the Sony marketing support, we'd at least be in the ballpark there. :(

I'm recommending the game to pretty much everyone at work that plays RPGs. Already a few plan on buying it after looking the game up.

Literally their responses were "How did I not see this game until now, it looks amazing!" and the like. I hope word of mouth starts to help.

Rob what are you finding so difficult about the PSN patch system? Have you contacted your account manager / Dev support or the QA manager for assistance?

Has the patch even been submitted to SIEE QA? If so when did this happen?

Skulldead

I'm at one patch on ps4 to recommend this game to everybody. if you can get it on pc, this freaking good game. One of the best retro style rpg i ever played since a really long time. I'm sure review will explode in a couple of weeks. I remember when disgaea and valkyria chronicle came out, really slow starting week, then it totally explode. Keep up the good work, im sure it will pay at the end !

joshcam19

Honestly, what we should have done is scaled back the scope of the game a few years ago. There was just too much stuff to have to create with the result that we ended up not having enough time at the end for final polishing & logistics. Like I knew that it was more difficult to do patches for PS4 than it is on Steam, but I had no idea it was SO much more difficult. If we had had an extra month, we could have worked out those kinks BEFORE launch instead of during/after.

There's no point in cancelling it now because 99% of the work has already been done, but we also should have cancelled the Vita port early on. I ended up having to rewrite a lot of the game engine to get the performance good enough for the Vita and that's time & money that could have been saved since the engine didn't need the rewrites to run decently on PC/PS4.

I wouldn't cancel the Vita version. People who have a Vita buy games for it. They actively search out good games.a Vita launch can only help.

I wouldn't cancel the Vita version. People who have a Vita buy games for it. They actively search out good games.a Vita launch can only help.

We're not cancelling the Vita version. I was just saying that if we had cancelled the Vita version years ago, we would have finished the game several months earlier which would have given us more than enough extra time to avoid the launch issues we ran into.

joshcam19

...It's like you completely ignored everything he wrote
I was trying to give some encouragement. He seems down on the launch and the Vita version. I think a launch on that platform will be beneficial.

I should have been more clear, not canceling it a long time ago, may end up being a good thing. Writing out posts quickly on a phone doesn't always convey meaning perfectly.

Im sorry to hear all this Rob, the game is fantastic i pre-ordered as soon as i could, it such a shame its not getting main stream attention. You deserve great success for this game. Chin up and stay strong it will get better soon.

THE-JUV

I hope the sales of this game in the next few months reach what you guys were hoping for and even exceed it with positive word of mouth. I'm only 3 hours in but I love everything about this game so far and will be buying the maximum amount allowed for LRG PS4 and PSVita physical copies once those become available, and I will tell everyone I know that loves classic JRPGs to buy this game!

TheChaos

It's been a week and I'm a bit surprised that there haven't been any reviews from any of the major sites at all. It doesn't even show up on Opencritic. Have people just not gotten around to reviewing it? Strange.

edit:

I got it on Ps4 and I like it so far. I like that everything including items is rechargeable so I don't have to constantly manage my inventory.

I bought it already, waiting for patch. If it's anywhere near as good as I'm hoping it is, I will certainly try to spread the word. We need more ambitious sort-of-32-bit 2D games like this.

joe2187

Banned
We're not cancelling the Vita version. I was just saying that if we had cancelled the Vita version years ago, we would have finished the game several months earlier which would have given us more than enough extra time to avoid the launch issues we ran into.

What is your experience with developing/porting to Vita? is the issue lack of development tools? Hardware limitations? Support?

Seems like every KS indie game throws in an Vita port as a stretch goal or a port at some point in the future without fully understanding what that means. Im still bummed out about Hyper Light and am very very much looking forward to the Vita port of CSH, Ive already bought the PS4 in preparation of the Vita release down the line.

The sad thing is if this had been branded as a Chrono Trigger fangame or Phantasy Star fangame (not sold of course) it would probably be attracting more of the mainstream attention :/

I'll buy it one day for sure, but I just don't need it right now with the stuff that's come out in the last few months and that's obviously true of a lot of people.

I assume the release date was Sony's call hence the rush to the finish, but it was a bad bad call.

Granjinha

If we do a new game, it won't be CSH-related, but it would heavily reuse the CSH engine (and probably gameplay).

Yeah, and i honestly think the sales eventually will come. Word of mouth does wonder for games with the pricepoint of CSH, and it's a legit amazing game with charm oozing from every part of it.

I'm finishing up my review (gonna launch it after tomorrow i think) to help a bit. I tinh bigger outlets will do the same, bit by bit. You guys definitely deserve success and i hope it eventually comes (and i believe it will), even if it has slower legs. <3

Top Bottom