• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

why is there no Lord of The Rings RPG Game ?

The LOTR Movies are one of my favourite movies of all time.
But everytime i watch these movies, there is one thing that saddens me....i want to see more of the word, i want to see more of Lorien, Minas Tirith, Rivendell, Hobbitton. Or from the Hobbit Movies places like Erebor or Mirkwood.

Why is there no RPG Game similar to Elder Scrolls or The Witcher 3 on the Middle Earth Universe?
I mean the genre is popular and the LOTR Franchise is huge.

Just imagine, being able to play as an Elve and visit all those beautiful Places.

The Music, the races (elves, hobbits, dwarfs, humans, Ents, different Orcs etc.) the lore, the world - it has everything that you would need for an RPG Game

Would such an project be too risky? Or are there some license problems.

lotr_lothlorien_Caras-Galadhon_by_p.jpg

7dcabd9ab36e0f9e329cf8f710e85fdd.jpg

5648321e24023b66bb39cf5f79abb504.jpg

2ad0f1acf7f59f1ed34ece2e5bd764da.jpg

the-hobbiton-lights.jpg

Hoo-doo

Banned
Lord of the Rings: Online.

I played it for a few weeks. No clue whether it's still live.
But I agree, a huge RPG in middle-earth would have potential.

selfnoise

Didn't EA cancel one last gen? The White Council? Or maybe even two.

Anyway, AAA pubs aren't interested in anything where they don't own the IP Lock stock and barrel.

I mean there have been some before..

I imagine trying to write a "NEW" story in the world is problematic with canon (See the shadow of middle earth stuff) and just replaying the existing story has been done to death.

Not sure how to do the world justice while also being a 'fresh' take on it.. without alienating everyone.

Drayco21

LotR Online was great. The Third Age kinda sucked. War in the North is an okay ARPGish thing.

RIP White Council game

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

It is, and it's great. Going places soon too, since Turbine abandoned it and the (very involved and caring) original creators picked it up under the brand of "Standing Stone Games" as independent devs, with a graphical overhaul of character models already announced.

Errr, there are a lot, no? Both Mordor games are action RPG, you got your ''JRPG'' with The Third Age on PS2 and LOTR online like already mentioned. Then there is War in the North, another action RPG.

TheEndOfItAll

Neo Member
There was on the SNES years ago. It was difficult and simple at the same time. You control Frodo and the other Hobbits were just mindless AI meat puppets ready to get smoked by orcs and wolves alike.
jrr-tolkiens-lord-of-the-rings-volume-1-snes-cover-front-72971.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Zoon

TT and ROTK for GBA are really good. But I get your point. Maybe we'll get it some time in our lifetime.

my bad i should have made it clearer what im reffering to.
I meant Open World RPG Games and not those Action Games/RPGS. (i played the Ps2 Games based on the movies - they were great)

Games where you could explore the world of middle earth apart from the online games

PS: That turned based game looks cool - never knew about it

There was on the SNES years ago. It was difficult and simple at the same time. You control Frodo and the other Hobbits were just mindless AI meat puppets ready to get smoked by orcs and wolves alike.

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Fuck that game. I remember it being just so aimless and difficult. And clearly it wasn't received well enough to warrant a Two Towers follow up.

How didn't they get sued? It's literally FFX's battle system :/
The most damning thing is the UI and it's hardly something you would sue for. FFX ,as good as the system is, does nothing revolutionary for turn based battle systems. In fact it just goes even further back in time to much older RPG systems compared to the other recent ATB FF games.

Weetrick

I would love a modern game that let you explore all of Middle Earth. My biggest complaint about Shadow of Mordor is that they kept you in the most boring looking region of Middle Earth. I enjoyed the gameplay, but Mordor scenery got old fast.

Lionheart

There was also a Lord of the Rings Tactics (SRPG) on PSP, but I don't think it contained much in terms of role playing and perhaps even no world design where you can walk around except for battles?

Also, even though it's no RPG, the Lego Lord of the Rings game has a surprisingly (to me) nice open world Middle Earth environment, where you experience the entire trilogy. Nothing serious of course, but still fun.

johntown

Banned
From other games it seems like EA might hold the license which IMO means even if they make an RPG it probably won't be good.

It would be absolutely amazing to play a big high-budget wrpg set in Middle Earth that did it justice. I guess this would be pretty difficult to achieve but I don't think it's impossible

Unfortunately it feels like it would have already happened if it was going to, but you never know.

Tbf there have been a couple of LOTR arpgs on a smaller scale which were decent but didn't exactly live up to the potential the setting has.
There's also LOTR online, I've not played it but it looks pretty cool

Hex

Banned

Having its anniversary now.

BEAUTIFUL game, hits all of the nostalgia buttons but very repetitive and best for casuals.

inky

Lord of the Rings Online is the closest we've got.

And it has the most amazing version of The Shire ever put on a game. Really a fanboy's dream.

Other than that, EA gave it a try and couldn't make anything worthwhile with it. Now WB has it and it doesn't seem to be interested in anything of the sort. It's truly a shame.

elhav

The Third Age was a linear game, if I'm not wrong, but the OP is thinking more of an open world RPG.

I do think it would be very cool to have a big open world(not an MMO)with all the locations from the books/movies. Shadow Of Mordor was fun, but it was all inside mordor, which was all gray and bleak. I wanna see the white city, the shire, lothlorien, moria etc.

Wonder how an open world LOTR game made by CDPR would be like.

ryseing

One problematic factor is that WB only has the rights to Hobbit+LoTR and appendices. No Silmarillion or anything else of that nature. To do a proper Middle Earth RPG you would need to be able to use content from those.

Aeqvitas

My dream would be an extremely large open world game set in the first or second age. There is not nearly as much canon in those ages, and a lot of great stories could be written around what is there. I think taking inspiration from breath of the wild and morrowind would be best, sometimes you need large empty spaces to explore, make the environment a constant gameplay element. Ideally have completely separate quest lines for the main races as you could help build cities and empires for dwarves, elves, and men. Create your own fellowship and search for or create the other rings of power.

I played Lotro for a while, I especially loved their take on Moria in the expansion. That was a dope game overall. The shire is beautiful and so are the small towns, rivers, forests and fields in the surrounding areas. I remember not liking Rivendell as much as I thought I would though, it was very Elvish but didn't seem as inspired.

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

This was one of the first games I bought of my own volition as a kid, using mall gift cards and the like. It is so brutal, the members of fellowship die super quickly (and permanently), and trying to navigate the misty mountains is utterly painful.

JBuccCP

I enjoyed LOTRO just for being able to walk to The Shire and be in The Shire. That's all I did with it but it was neat. I would love an open world game from the Warner Brothers guys that isn't just a Mordor orc- murder sim. Make one that's a little BOTWish where you play as a Ranger just roaming around surviving and doing good works.

Top Bottom