• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alleged developer for C&C Generals 2 discusses its development and cancellation

The biggest problem was tension between free to play, and monetization. There's really no good way to find a happy medium. Either you incentivize people with meaningful persistent upgrades like levels, or new unit loadouts, or you have fair, competitive play. There's just not a good happy medium. Naturally, money talks and bullshit walks, so the game was leaning towards monetization and away from competitive play (except it's the competitive play that really keeps things interesting over the long term, so caught between a rock and a hard place I guess)

The second biggest problem was also a result of the need to monetize: content sprawl. We were adding two new Generals every month or so, so that there would be lots of unlockable content. 2 weeks per General is not even remotely close to enough time to fully develop each General. Like... not even close. You need distinct units, generals powers, upgrades etc. 2 weeks is probably 1/10th the time necessary to even get the assets built, let alone tuned, polished, and balanced. So what was the solution to this break-neck cadance? Strip down the Generals so they only had a subset of units, and go for MOBA style 3v3 gameplay where you had to pick complementary Generals to form a cohesive, well-rounded team. We were effectively trying to clone the likes of LoL and HoN in a fundamentally different genre. Personally, I hate being dependent on 2 other randos, or spending time trying to coordinate with 2 other players I trust. I just want to hop into a 1v1 ladder and start playing. But this game was not built for that, at all.

Next was the siloed development. Art was doing its thing. Engineering was doing its thing. Design was doing its thing. There was no vision holder creating a cohesive product. Art was laser focused on realistic visuals, which actually HURT game readability substantially. You could hide a terrorist in the shadow of a palm tree, and he would just blow up half your tanks. When you're playing a game competitively, you're spending literally fractions of a second on a given screen, and need to be able to assess conditions instantly. This can't happen when the map is full of visual clutter (burning piles of trash, crumbled walls, shrubs everywhere...). Zero Hour's simple graphics actually enhanced the gameplay. Generals 2's hurt it. I actually created a test presentation for the dev team called "Count the terrorist" where I'd show them a screen, give them 5 seconds (an eternity) to count how many terrorists were hiding on the screen. I did this for both Gens 2 and ZH. Nobody got the number right on Gens 2, but ZH was more accurate. Why? Better overall readability.

Moreover, we wanted to do things like make Technicals transports. Art was against this because they didn't have time to model the dudes sitting in the back of the technical, and the load/unload animations. This focus on realism placed a big drag on gameplay quality. Sure, it was the most gorgeous RTS ever made, but most people are there to play the RTS, not look at it!

The third biggest issue was contention about the RTS flavor the game should have. The lead gameplay designer at the time was a huge StarCraft fan, and the gameplay he had designed reflected that. Units didn't have mass, and all behaved homogeneously. No variety in turn rates, no acceleration, very similar specs. All of that nuanced micro that made CCG/ZH so special? 100% non-existent in Gens 2. The community who got to preview the game that previous December were not happy with the lack of CNC flavor, so there was an attempt to create a special community build for GamesCom that would feel more CNC-like. Unfortunately, that design shift was never officially cemented, and right up until cancellation, there were competing design philosophies.

One such example was how to handle rushing. The existing design was SC2-like: large-ish maps with plateaus and narrow entrance ramps that you could block off and defend easily. However, there were several design elements which contradicted this goal. Unit build times were too long, and movement speeds too fast. It would take a tank ~30 seconds to cross a map, but a tank would take 35 seconds to build. This means you could barely have 2 tanks built by the time your opponent's tank arrived. Even on small maps in ZH, you could often have 3 or 4 tanks ready by the time one arrived. Why? ZH (and CNC games, in general) had short build times and slow-ish movement speeds. This creates a natural defender's advantage that actually helps people repel "rushes".

Speaking of engineering. God damn. The game was an authoritative client-server model, where the server would model the game, and broadcast game state to the clients, which merely rendered it. Great for stopping cheating, but due to performance issues, the game's logical frame rate was 4FPS (literally 250ms per tick). And that didn't really account for latency. So you'd order a unit to go in one direction, and then very noticeably later, it would finally obey that order. This slow gameplay frame rate also made things like accurate crushing, and other effects (like high rate-of-fire weapons like gatts and quads) almost impossible. Also, apparently Frostbite 2 (the engine it was built on) is really not well suited for RTS gameplay according to the engineers I talked to. Things (like range detection) that would have been cheap and simple in an RTS-dedicated engine, were not so straight-forward or cheap in Frostbite.

And things like crushing wasn't just a technical hurdle - it was a political hurdle as well. Crushing is kind of a signature part of CNC gameplay, but there were lots of people on the dev team who thought that crushing would just make infantry useless, so they didn't want it. Except there are myriad ways to design infantry to retain a core role, while also allowing crushing, so it shouldn't have been an issue so long as adequate time was given for tuning the balance of crushing and infantry. We got the very first pass of crushing in as a trial in the last build (the people in the closed beta never got a chance to play with it, if I recall), and it was quite bad thanks to the disconnect between the server state and client state. On the client it would look like you've collided with the infantry, but the server state was slightly out of sync with the client state, so didn't actually register the crush. Or sometimes you'd think you've safely dodged the vehicle with your infantry, but they would just die as the tank passes by them (since it runs over where they were, which is what the server thinks the game state is).

Other issues like the Generals powers were just lame. They were point and click instant effects. Totally uninteresting, lacked nuance, and lacked depth. My voice of concern over the existing powers and suggestions to effectively scrub them and start from scratch, was not strong enough. Further, the manner in which you earned those powers was incredibly bad. In Generals/ZH, you earned your generals points by destroying enemy units and structures. In Generals 2, they were unlocked as a function of time or tech level (or something else, I forget which now!). No earning them, just suddenly became available to you even if you camped in your base and did nothing all game.

At the time we were cancelled, the game was about 2 months away from open beta. As a massive fan of the franchise, and RTS snob/connoisseur, to me it should have been 2 more years away from open beta. There was so much work that had to be done just to make it feel like a CNC game, let alone balance it and polish it. Honestly, even if that game had been released, fans would have hated it and would have been really disappointed in it. I personally would not have played it in the state it was in, for what it's worth.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/..._could_bring_back_any_game_from_your/dgd1geg/
This comes off of Reddit, but it sounds legit. Balancing the F2P monetization aspects with making the game competitive sounds rough

For those that don't remember, this is what it looked like before it was cancelled:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80_x6bmzluc

Demicore

Fascinating stuff. Obviously, we only have one side of the story, but this guy seems to really know what would make a good c&c game. I hope he gets to work on another rts one day.

Ishmae1

Zero Hour was rather special. The Westwood Pacific crew (RA2, Generals) and the original Westwood crew (all the other C&C games) coming together and working on ZH as one group. Good times all around - great mix of the two philosophies and approaches to C&C merged into one product.

If Generals 2 was really turning out to be more 'Craft than Conquer, IMO, best it ended as it did.

Pooya

I don't get those SC comparisons. Generals was very much like how SC2 plays only with far less micro, I mean even same guy designed it. He said Generals had micro here that was gone from this sequel? huh, no.

G2 didn't feel anything like the first game or SC2. It was just bad.

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
i remember playing a alpha or beta of this at one point and it was horrible, nothing like C&C at all.

The biggest problem was tension between free to play, and monetization. There's really no good way to find a happy medium. Either you incentivize people with meaningful persistent upgrades like levels, or new unit loadouts, or you have fair, competitive play. There's just not a good happy medium.

Either you can ruin your game with microtransactions or you can do the thing that most of the wildly successful free-to-play competitive games do. There's just no way to win!

Pachinko

If say it's a shame the game never panned out but I always thought it sounded awful. I love generals and zero hour and I feel the time is ripe for a proper sequel or even a remaster but what was to be Generals 2 ... not so much.

Stopdoor

I'm a pretty casual C&C fan, but the move to a reboot and F2P approach were massive warning signs. The initial General 2 pitch and even the trailers look like a decent attempt at back to the basics after C&C4, but then I didn't analyze them too heavily and Generals wasn't really my favourite.

He's probably right it's better it didn't release rather than drop another controversial bomb on C&C fans. Better to be dormant unless they can do it right.

Miker

I don't get those SC comparisons. Generals was very much like how SC2 plays only with far less micro, I mean even same guy designed it. He said Generals had micro here that was gone from this sequel? huh, no.

G2 didn't feel anything like the first game or SC2. It was just bad.

Yeah, that paragraph stood out to me. If anything, those criticisms of how nu-Generals supposedly played sound like things you'd say about CnC, not StarCraft. I think it's generally agreed upon SC/2 requires (or benefits from) the most micro of any RTS. The stuff about turn rates, acceleration doesn't apply to SC2 either, just look at their patch notes detailing minute changes in said variables. I'm skeptical overall.

lazygecko

You'd think something as rudimentary as readable graphics would be an absolute given to any professional artist. But then, this was something of a problem even in C&C3. Mainly their reluctance on giving a lot of space for color coding on units made it difficult at times to make out different team colors in multiplayer.

The development side seems to have been way more problematic than I anticipated. And this doesn't really take the business side into account, which I think was still the main killing blow for the franchise.

It was clear that EA had absolutely no clue what the hell they wanted to do with the franchise. They were flip-flopping like crazy. The problems started with C&C4 which was initiallly a F2P side project being worked on mainly for the Asian market, which was the only place where the model was really proven to work at the time ca 2009. But then right in the middle of development, the team was told by EA that this was now going to be a mainline sequel sold as a full priced retail product (and of course, it needed to be rushed out in a short time period to boot). So that explains why C&C4 turned out the way it did.

Then after that we had the initial Generals 2 announcement, which likewise was going to be a full price retail game. But then F2P had started to gain momentum as a business model across the west, so now EA changed their minds and decided that this was going to be a F2P game. And on top of all this, they also decided to rebrand the dev studio as a Bioware subsidiary, which caused a lot of confusion making many people think it was the actual Bioware working on the new C&C game. And then EA promptly backtracked on that decision and changed the studio name again. And then the project was cancelled and studio shuttered.

EA's inept, over-reactionary leadership is basically what killed the franchise as a whole. But eh, whatever. We have the fanmade OpenRA now which fuses the best parts of the classic C&C with the conveniences and more sensible balancing of the later titles, and they have a vibrant self-sustained multiplayer community, with casters and tournaments and everything. And I'm completely fine with that as far as the status of the franchise goes. I'm more comfortable with getting my C&C fix this way rather than EA trying to resurrect it officially.

More evidence to add how it seems Frostbite isn't really the greatest if you're not just making a shooter. I understand why EA is likely forcing Frostbite to be used for everything ($$$) but it seems like its kind of a pain to get anything that's not just a standard shooter like Dragon Age, Mass Effect or something like a strategy game, working on that engine.

fireflame

I never finished zero hour and found ai too punishing and agressive during campaign, generals is the c and c game i dislike the more.

Admodieus

Yeah, that paragraph stood out to me. If anything, those criticisms of how nu-Generals supposedly played sound like things you'd say about CnC, not StarCraft. I think it's generally agreed upon SC/2 requires (or benefits from) the most micro of any RTS. The stuff about turn rates, acceleration doesn't apply to SC2 either, just look at their patch notes detailing minute changes in said variables. I'm skeptical overall.

The comparison point that stood out to me was the part about bases with a choke ramp that could be blocked off

So it was part Starcraft, part MOBA, part C&C Generals.

Ugh.

For me the 'true' C&C feel is the one found in the first two games, Command & Conquest (1995) and C&C Red Alert 1. Even RA2, which was a fun game, already lost part of it.

patapuf

1v1 games aren't great for monetisation since you don't want gameplay affecting progression, being an RTS makes it even more difficult because making skins ect. is way more elaborate and difficult than in say, a fighting game.

Jawmuncher

Was very unimpressed with the news on Generals 2 (I didn't even like the original generals which was barely C&C enough for me). So all of that news back in the day turned me off even more. It's interesting to have more of a highlight on how things were going. Can't say i'm exactly saddened by the loss of this game. Sounds like even had they listened to fans, EA as a whole would have still changed things around and probably made for a not very fun game even for those who enjoyed generals.

I still hope EA goes back to C&C someday. Even if it's just simple remasters, like we saw with age of empires 2.

Those instant point and click skills he described almost made me throw up, C&C isn't some dumb MOBA or casual RPG, it's a tactical RTS where time plays into the factor. If you want to airstrike, you'll need to manually select a target and wait for the planes to fly over (if they don't get shot down that is) then hit their target (if it's still there). It sounds INCREDIBLY stupid to be able to simply select a skill on a hotbar then instantly be able to use it... just no.

Also the thing about what he says about Generals 2 having realistic graphics hurt it is so true. It goes to show a game having better graphics or more graphic fidelity isn't always a good thing, and the simpler graphics can make more detail and things stand our clearer than too much detail everywhere.

God damn Generals 2 sounded like everything I hate about RTS... no reasons he mentioned were the reasons I played C&C.

Kasper

So it was part Starcraft, part MOBA, part C&C Generals.

Ugh.

For me the 'true' C&C feel is the one found in the first two games, Command & Conquest (1995) and C&C Red Alert 1. Even RA2, which was a fun game, already lost part of it.

I would count Tiberian Sun among those two, even if it's not quite as good as RA1, which to me is without comparison the best game in the entire franchise.

I'm probably the odd man out when it comes to RA2, since I didn't like it at all. Generals was fun, but that and the previously three mentioned games are really the only ones I like.

Mr Swine

Banned
Saddens me that they never went back to the Generals formula and made the game like that rather than the grotesque vision they had for Generals 2

Top Bottom