• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiberium (Command and Conquer's cancelled FPS): Innovation Beyond it's Years

I'm actually very surprised at you Gaf, for having no existing threads on this game from what I saw.

Sifting through youtube I happened upon this game last night and was absolutely blown away. I had no idea this existed. It's one of the most impressive displays of FPS technology I've ever seen. The fact that the gameplay is at the level of an even newer Call of Duty game in terms of fluidity, atmosphere and animation with the player dipping in and out of combat, dialogue and RTS gameplay while maneuvering troops in real time, while at the same time delivering it all seamlessly just has my jaw on the god damn floor.

Apparently EA cancelled this because it didn't meet expectations. I mean even dynamic HUD and lack of crosshair are incredible! Do you understand what this would look like on a modern game engine!? This is only a youtube video yet I was fully immersed as if I was playing it myself. I really can't believe it.

How about the FPS cover and leaning mechanics. They even have a sliding mechanic. I mean this is stuff years before anyone really thought about it.

And oh my lord listen to what the audio director says about the implementation of his sound design.

And on top of that it just made me appreciate Killzone 2 even more as it takes nearly every aspect of gameplay from this game except the RTS elements. I'm going to make a separate post about playing that game on CRT TV which I highly recommend if you can.

Anyway, check out this video and let me know what you think.

Interesting, they seemed to really have nailed the concept here. Someone should leak that shit. How far along in development was it?

Last edited:
Interesting, they seemed to really have nailed the concept here. Someone should leak that shit. How far along in development was it?
At the end of this video there are full interviews with Geoff Keighley.

I think it got cancelled about a year to half a year away from launch. It's hard to tell without doing more research into it.

Last edited:

The Stig

wow. i had absolutely no idea this existed. Im a huge C&C fan too.

this makes me think i should have played renegade more. I always liked the idea of switching between RTS and FPS.

also, what are those enemies in the video? scrin?

edit - also obligatory "C&C 4 never happened"

Last edited:

FeralEcho

I remember seeing this in gaming magazines around 2008(?) Then no one heard about it anymore,eventually i found out about its cancelation and was really bummed about it as the concept was really good.

I remember seeing this in gaming magazines around 2008(?) Then no one heard about it anymore,eventually i found out about its cancelation and was really bummed about it as the concept was really good.
Yes I believe it was supposed to launch in 2008 or so. And then you see Killzone 2 launching in 2009 with many of the same mechanics. No doubt Guerilla knew of this project.

FeralEcho

Yes I believe it was supposed to launch in 2008 or so. And then you see Killzone 2 launching in 2009 with many of the same mechanics. No doubt Guerilla knew of this project.
And Killzone 2 ended up as my favourite fps ever.Nothing like it on the market since.The weight of the guns,the spread of bullets,the atmosphere,the enemy hit reactions,the chirps.

beautiful jim carey GIF

Vox Machina

Banned
This game was lit as fuck. I used to sneak into the Nod power supply as an Engineer, take it down, and camp the fuck out of it.

Nobody I have EVER talked to about this game knew what it was. Glad to see at least one other person on the planet played it. 😂

Are people forgetting cnc renegade. Absolute nightmare of a game. Worst lag and bugs ever.

Wait I'm thinking of Renegade. Even I forgot the name of the game!

Last edited:

Hudo

Man, I was fucking hyped for this game. And so fucking disappointed when they announced the cancellation. C&C Renegade was great, I even liked it more than BF 1942 back then. And the mods were great.

StueyDuck

I miss the fps cross strategy shooters...

I feel like it was a genre that was never full realized, we had games get close like R6 Vegas and brothers in arms.

Wish games were more inventive these days

What's weird for projects like this- these assets existed somewhere. I wish they'd allow them to be usable. There's still a market! I don't understand why "cancel and move on" for projects like this is even a thing.

Hell- XCom Alliance.

Various Aliens games.

DNF.

Why put so much time and effort into something just for it to vaporize?

If I had a superpower- it'd be to convince the big name moneyhats to create a label that specifically takes projects like this under their wing and finishes them. There's a way to do it that wouldn't tarnish any brand images- and most of the projects are for dead ips anyways!

Top Bottom