• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Western 3DS release of Layton's Mystery Journey (née Lady Layton) early Autumn '17

maxcriden

The previous thread detailed that the game will be coming to Japan on 3DS, and iOS/Android WW on July 20. However, all we knew about the western 3DS release of the game was that it was coming later.

PR:

image005.png

Tokyo, Japan - LEVEL-5 announced today that the newest entry into the Professor Layton game series is LAYTON’S MYSTERY JOURNEY: Katrielle and the Millionaires’ Conspiracy and will be released simultaneously around the world on July 20th, 2017. For the first time, a game in the Professor Layton series will be released as a mobile game in addition to a traditional video game.

Formerly titled Lady Layton: The Millionaire Ariadne's Conspiracy, this new installment of the Professor Layton series is a strategic mystery puzzle solving game that follows Katrielle Layton, who searches for her missing father Professor Hershel Layton.

Published globally by LEVEL-5 abby LAYTON’S MYSTERY JOURNEY: Katrielle and the Millionaires’ Conspiracy will launch simultaneously on iOS and Android platforms on July 20, 2017, with a Nintendo 3DS game to follow in autumn 2017 and will be available in eight languages at launch. Over the past ten years, the Professor Layton series has had huge global success selling over 16.0 million units worldwide.

The new title is an exciting departure from previous games in the Professor Layton series as it is made up of a combination of smaller conundrums and puzzles that need to be solved in order to complete the overall mystery. This new format is going to appeal to existing Layton fans as well as attract a brand new audience.

Key game details:

· Title: LAYTON'S MYSTERY JOURNEY: Katrielle and the Millionaires’ Conspiracy
· Genre: Mystery /Adventure/ Puzzle
· Staff:
o Puzzle Development - Iwanami Kuniaki
o Producer - Akihiro Hino
o Character Design - Nagano Takuzo
o Music - Nishiura Tomohito  
· Animation: A-1 Pictures Inc. 

“This is the seventh entry in the Professor Layton series and we are excited that Katrielle Layton is taking center stage in this new iteration of the game,” said Akihiro Hino, CEO LEVEL-5. “Professor Layton fans will enjoy the mystery and fantasy adventure play that they have come to love and appreciate throughout the series.”

To learn more about LAYTON'S MYSTERY JOURNEY: Katrielle and the Millionaires’ Conspiracy visit laytonseries.com and follow us on Facebook.com/Laytonseries, Twitter @Laytonseries and Instagram @Laytonseries.

Via: http://gonintendo.com/stories/27831...atest-addition-to-the-professor-layton-series

-

The PR specifies Autumn, but the website specifies early Autumn (thanks iceblade997 for this info!):

The English website just opened up according to SiliconEra and is saying it's slated for Early Autumn 2017 in the West.

There's been enough of a gap between the last deluge of Layton that I'm looking forward to this, give me those picarats!

Hopeford

I'm probably literally the only person in the world thinking "How does this relate to Alfendi Layton?" but I actually really loved that spin-off. Hope the cast from that game makes an appearance. Hell, just hope he's not retconned out of canon haha.

vareon

Looking at the screenshot on the site, it looks like the mobile version is just the 3DS game put on a vertical screen. I'll wait for pricing info before deciding on platform...

WonderzL

Banned
“This is the seventh entry in the Professor Layton series and we are excited that Katrielle Layton is taking center stage in this new iteration of the game,” said Akihiro Hino

Me too, Hino. I'm so blessed to have an actual Layton 7.

d+pad

Although I can kind of understand why the powers that be at Level-5 decided to do, I'm still bummed that they changed this game's title from Lady Layton to Layton's Mystery Journey.

This new title is so boring and lifeless :|

At any rate, I'll be buying the NA 3DS version if it's given a physical release...

Aleh

I still need to catch up with the 3DS games, I only played the DS ones and that was many years ago...
Looks good though.

scamander

Banned
I assume Level-5 will handle all localisations and publishing of the game themselves and prepare for the worst. :/

On the plus side- maybe they will release the last Inazuma Eleven Go game in Europe as well. Nintendo doesn't seem to have any interest in the series anymore.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Glad to see.that the gap for the West has been shortened by mails compared to previour episodes
I have the entire collection split between DS and 3DS so I can wait a couple of months to get this to complete it

-shadow-

I still need to finish the sixth game. I love the series, but after six games I really can't play them anymore. Way too much recycled stuff and I'm just there for the story. I hope this game will mix things up a bit.

Lijik

I'm probably literally the only person in the world thinking "How does this relate to Alfendi Layton?" but I actually really loved that spin-off. Hope the cast from that game makes an appearance. Hell, just hope he's not retconned out of canon haha.

im with you, i really liked that game and its characters

Although I can kind of understand why the powers that be at Level-5 decided to do, I'm still bummed that they changed this game's title from Lady Layton to Layton's Mystery Journey.

This new title is so boring and lifeless :|

At any rate, I'll be buying the NA 3DS version if it's given a physical release...

I kinda thought that was just a name coined by fans, like *shudder* Splat2n

bluexy

Since Kat's name is now part of the subtitle, it makes me wonder if they plan on switching out protagonists from game to game, like chapters in a "Layton Mystery Journey" series.

WolfeTone

Can't wait for some more Layton. Loved all the games so far, even if 6 was a bit of a letdown in terms of story and setting, puzzles were still great.

I wonder if the game can survive without Hershel in a lead role. Excited for a lead female role though!

WonderzL

Banned
Can't wait still need to play Layton 6 though :X

I don't know if this is controversial here (I don't really follow the "Layton fandom"), but 6 was my favorite after the third one. They managed to control the backtracking in a good way, and the story is so, SO cheesy. Oh my god. I just love it.

So is this a full-fat layton game? Not some cheapo mobile game ported over?

It uses the Layton 5/6 engine, so you could say it's cheap, but they are all new characters in a new form to play Layton while mantaining the puzzles. It'll probably be 2/3 of the usual Layton meat/length, but it seems to be a GOOD 2/3.

maxcriden

I don't know if this is controversial here (I don't really follow the "Layton fandom"), but 6 was my favorite after the third one. They managed to control the backtracking in a good way, and the story is so, SO cheesy. Oh my god. I just love it.

It uses the Layton 5/6 engine, so you could say it's cheap, but they are all new characters in a new form to play Layton while mantaining the puzzles. It'll probably be 2/3 of the usual Layton meat/length, but it seems to be a GOOD 2/3.

My question is whether the puzzles will be similar to those in past games. Have any puzzles been revealed for the new game? I know Iwanami-san has taken over the puzzling reins after Tago-san passed away. He has a TED Talk I haven't gotten to watch yet which is posted here and some books available (appear to be mainly or entirely puzzle books) here. Tago-san was a revered puzzle book author so I am curious if their styles are similar.

WonderzL

Banned
My question is whether the puzzles will be similar to those in past games. Have any puzzles been revealed for the new game? I know Iwanami-san has taken over the puzzling reins after Tago-san passed away. He has a TED Talk I haven't gotten to watch yet which is posted here and some books available (appear to be mainly or entirely puzzle books) here. Tago-san was a revered puzzle book author so I am curious if their styles are similar.

Yes, we have traditional puzzles. However, supposedly they are very tied to the narrative, different from previous title's... "puzzle dissonance", you might call it.

maxcriden

Yes, we have traditional puzzles. However, supposedly they are very tied to the narrative, different from previous title's... "puzzle dissonance", you might call it.

Thank you. I might miss that puzzle dissonance. Are there any example puzzles shown as of yet? If so, where might I see those?

WonderzL

Banned
Thank you. I might miss that puzzle dissonance. Are there any example puzzles shown as of yet? If so, where might I see those?

Nothing to worry about, really. See here: https://youtu.be/WT_o2KyaAZg?t=30s

Also, Hino's statement is interesting:

"The new title is an exciting departure from previous games in the Professor Layton series as it is made up of a combination of smaller conundrums and puzzles that need to be solved in order to complete the overall mystery. This new format is going to appeal to existing Layton fans as well as attract a brand new audience."

It gives me the idea of Ace Attorney level design + traditional Layton puzzles.

takoyaki

New two page Famitsu article that details the first case [episode one] in Lady Layton:

-new game structure, shorter episodes each revolving around a different case
-Kat gets involved with those mysterious cases and solves puzzles; she's described as a Puzzle Detective who's a Jack of all trades
-each episode has a humorous title that pays homage to a famous movie
-the first case revolves around the missing hour hand of Big Ben

story&gameplay:

The hour hand was stolen and to make things worse, a foreign ambassador is due to visit London tomorrow. The plan was to gift him a pendant in the shape of Big Ben as a sign of the amicable relationship between both countries. It would look bad if the real Big Ben was presented in such an imperfect state during the ambassador's visit.

Yesterday, until shortly before midnight, the police was out patrolling and checking on Big Ben. The vanishing of the clock hand was first noticed at 6AM today.

Kat is entrusted with finding and returning the clock hand by the police inspector. It's a matter of protecting the reputation of England that the clock is found before the ambassador's visit.

Images show Kat inspecting the tower from the inside, the surrounding area and Big Ben itself (via the Magnifying Glass Zoom). She talks with people who might know something about the case, including two twin brothers. One is the mechanic for Big Ben, the other runs a bakery...

... before long, Kat makes the baffling deduction that the hand of Big Ben was actually made out of waffles. [note: in an older Famitsu article, Kat was described as being an impulsive, happy-go-lucky person who makes deductions by gut feeling]

Solving the case involves finding certain keywords, so-called ”pieces of insight", throughout the episode. There's six of them in this episode, the example shown is the keyword "Six hours of blank space" (between last police check and 6AM).

The keywords, her case notes and the option to re-play puzzles all appear in Kat's briefcase menu.

takoyaki

BUMP (now with images \o/)

New Lady Layton tidbits from this week's Famitsu:

- Kat solves smaller cases that occur around her, but there's a central mystery

-the 7 millionaires from the 1st trailer are at the center of the main story/big mystery, 3 of them have been detailed so far.

5923bec8198ccuvzn8.jpg

-there might be criminal among them

-Largely unchanged gameplay, menus and game flow, with new additions like finding keywords

-healthy amount of new mini-games (the 1st one called ”the ideal dinner" is detailed in Famitsu, you're tasked with finding the right diner for 8 patrons. You'll have to look into those persons' preferences to know the right combination, e.g. fish or meat for the main course)

-Kat has inherited her puzzle solving smarts from her father and they share the same sense of style, but she comes after her mother when it comes to looks and facial features. Her mother's identity is still a secret.

5923bec81c7ab79zsn.jpg

-Her detective agency is a stylish and tidy apartment in London, but her desk is covered in books and documents just like Professor Layton's was at the University. She also loves English tea just like her father.

-To the bottom right of the table you can see the bowl of her talking dog Sherl

-Kat's form of transportation is her trusty bike

kunonabi

name change and 3ds delay aside, this is sounding really great. I'm never clearing my 3ds backlog at this rate.

takoyaki

This sounds neat if you're a Layton Fan visiting E3 this year:

Gematsu said:
With E3 2017 next week, Level-5 has begun a custom-made ”mystery adventure" for Los Angeles residents and visitors in promotion of the upcoming Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy to find the ”Layton Cafe" that will open for one day only on June 14.

Starting today, the Layton series Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts will provide a daily hint or puzzle that, if solved, will lead to the location of the Layton Cafe.

The cafe will feature complimentary coffee, tea, and snacks, a Layton-themed menu, exclusive souvenirs celebrating a day of Layton, a selection of Professor Layton music tracks to enjoy, puzzles and other diversions, a photo op with Hershel and Katrielle Layton stand-ups, and the opportunity to learn more about the upcoming Layton's Mystery Journey.

=> read more on Gematsu

takoyaki

Yeah, wish I'd be there as well.

Hopefully this means the game is at E3 and we get new information since it's coming out pretty soon.

And at least we can play along online with the puzzles ;)

takoyaki

From Famitsu

5940b6589b7a1s8sau.jpg

The title song is "Girl" by Kana Nishino

New feature: Play dress-up and change outfits in the game

You acquire many new outfits throughout the game that were designed with the help of real-life designer&stylist KASHIMA SHOHEI

You can pick the outfit, headwear and shoes you want to wear and also change your hairstyle.

5940b65895601h6uwa.jpg

Right side, from top to bottom: Checkered One Piece Date Outfit, Boyish Jockey Pants, British Jacket, Sky Blue Lady Dress

There is (at least) one outfit that's exclusive to the e-shop version on 3DS which is a homage to Flora Reinhold from Layton 1-3
5941fcee45de1-2nzuyp.jpg
5941fcee47d21r3ubk.jpg

[from the actual article, no pictures online]

New feature: Kat can decorate her room in the "Layton Detective Agency" in different styles

There's 8 possible points that can be changed, mixed and matched: walls, floor, curtain, rug, chair, sofa, table, cushions

The images show a variety of styles ranging from pink walls and a posh sofa to dark blue walls with an Union Jack rug and a black leather couch.

Looks like a small-scale take on interior decoration from Animal Crossing

This all sure sounds like something Level5 could monetize with additional outfits/pieces of furniture, especially on iOS/Android.

edit:

more screenshots of the new features via the Official Website

maxcriden

Thanks for posting these updates, takoyaki. I'm really curious how the game will shake out. I have hopes for the new puzzle creator to make some great brain teasers.

takoyaki

Thanks for posting these updates, takoyaki. I'm really curious how the game will shake out. I have hopes for the new puzzle creator to make some great brain teasers.

sure thing, I'll keep the updates coming when there's new info. Hope the game lives up to the old Layton games.

Gematsu also posted a nice write-up of the story of the 2nd case today.

maxcriden

takoyaki

Second Trailer

Level-5 has also teamed up with Escape Room company SCRAP (they collaborated with Aksys on a Zero Escape Room before):

5948d6ec866e9.jpg

Gematsu said:
To commemorate the release of Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and The Millionaires' Conspiracy, Level-5 has teamed up with SCRAP — a company that creates real escape games — to produce a puzzle-solving event that challenges users around the world to solve 50 puzzles that appear on the internet and in special locations in 10 countries, including Japan, the U.S., the U.K., South Korea, and Australia. This world-wide event will take place for roughly three months, starting on June 20 and ending on September 21.

The first puzzle is about Pikotaro's ”Pen-Pineapple-Apple-Pen" song. To participate in the campaign, visit Layton.world.

=> more on Gematsu

@MUWANdo

Banned
So they didn't confirm a 3DS release date at E3? They really are sending the 3DS version out to die in the west, aren't they?

takoyaki

Yeah, I also thought it was strange that the game didn't even show up on the 2 Day Treehouse Stream. At least I would have expected a release date announcement.

Maybe Level-5 want to see how many people they can get on iOS/Android without another version pulling away the attention of potential customers, maybe Nintendo didn't want to give free marketing to a game that's effectively a smartphone exclusive for the next few months, I don't know...

Top Bottom