• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Layton's Mystery Journey (Lady Layton) coming West on July 20th (mobile, 3DS later)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Lady Layton: The Millionaire Ariadone’s Conspiracy will launch under the new title Layton’s Mystery Journey: Katrielle and The Millionaire’s Conspiracy for 3DS in Japan, and iOS and Android worldwide on July 20, Level-5 announced.

The 3DS version will cost 4,800 yen, and the iOS and Android versions will cost 1,900 yen and have item-based in-app purchases. (You can reach the ending of the game without making any in-app purchases.) Supported languages include Japanese, English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Dutch, and Korean. A western release of the 3DS version is seemingly also planned, as the press release mentions it will launch in Japan first.
Source: http://gematsu.com/2017/04/laytons-...nches-3ds-japan-smartphones-worldwide-july-20

Tizoc

I wonder what the absurd plot twist will be this time.

Will likely grab both versions personally.

georly

It's nuts this is day-and-date with the 3DS version in japan. I wonder if it's NOA publishing layton in the west that is causing the delay over here. (Unsure who publishes in EU) Clearly the localization (text-wise, at least) will be ready by japan launch.

As-is, i'll almost assuredly be picking this up sooner than later. Would be neat if they start re-releasing the older games on mobile as well, but I won't hold my breath.

maxcriden

The lack of day and date 3DS entry in the West with iOS makes me think this will be dissimilar to the 3DS entries or that if not it feels kinda crappy as a 3/DS fan of the series. Maybe that's unfair of me.

Kouriozan

When I read the title I was worried it would be English only, wow I'm glad to be wrong, and happy to be able to play it this soon.

sangreal

this is nothing like the crappy layton brother's mystery room on ios, right? I always wanted to try a Layton game so I tried that one only to find that it was made for 8 year olds in that it had zero difficulty and anything that might've been difficult was ruined by them holding your hand

Izuna

Banned
I liked the concept of Professor Layton story wise (kinda Kino's Journey like), but after the first one, I felt like the puzzles weren't very imaginative. Is that not true with this one?

El Odio

Banned
Huh, I assume (read hope) the IAP for the mobile version will be hint coin or solution based and not some sort of pay to play or wait X minutes type of deal. If it's something along the lines of the former I'll probably bite instead of waiting for the 3DS version.

Kneefoil

I'm a bit disappointed that they stripped "Lady Layton" from the name. It would've been more in line with the naming convention of the previous Layton series.

I find it a bit odd that Japan gets both versions at the same time, but the west gets the 3DS version later. If mobile has a worldwide simultaneous launch, it doesn't seem like the 3DS version is getting delayed for localisation reasons.

Reki

As a newcomer to the series, can I just wait for this release and play it without problems, or should I play the others first? In that case, which one would be a good place to start?

GSR

this is nothing like the crappy layton brother's mystery room on ios, right? I always wanted to try a Layton game so I tried that one only to find that it was made for 8 year olds in that it had zero difficulty and anything that might've been difficult was ruined by them holding your hand

Hey, I (sort of) liked Layton Brothers. But yeah, this is a traditional Layton game, where hints are optional and the gameplay is solving puzzles, not murders.

Weird that the mobile version is ready to launch with 8 languages but the international 3DS release is delayed. I guess Nintendo wants to slot it in elsewhere on the 3DS calendar? Not sure that's such a great idea if the delay is more than a few weeks, though...

Kneefoil

As a newcomer to the series, can I just wait for this release and play it without problems, or should I play the others first? In that case, which one would be a good place to start?
You should be able to start with this one.

Other good starting points would be "Curious Village", which is the first game in the original trilogy, and "the Last Specter" which is the first game in the prequel trilogy. The original trilogy was far better than the prequel trilogy, though.

sangreal

Hey, I (sort of) liked Layton Brothers. But yeah, this is a traditional Layton game, where hints are optional and the gameplay is solving puzzles, not murders.

Weird that the mobile version is ready to launch with 8 languages but the international 3DS release is delayed. I guess Nintendo wants to slot in in elsewhere on the 3DS calendar? Not sure that's such a great idea if the delay is more than a few weeks, though...

I didn't actually hate it as much as I suggested. I did play through the whole thing. I was just really disappointed by the way they basically give you the answer to things whenever you guess wrong

jonno394

I doubt this will move good numbers on 3ds when it releases now. Late and potentially double the price and worse looking.

I'll likely grab on android pending reviews and iap information.

Reki

You should be able to start with this one.

Other good starting points would be "Curious Village", which is the first game in the original trilogy, and "the Last Specter" which is the first game in the prequel trilogy. The original trilogy was far better than the prequel trilogy, though.

Thanks, I'll see if I cand find one of those!

Dsyndrome

Can't blame localization when they simultaneous release everywhere on iOS and Android. Has to be padding at the 3DS library, hopefully still makes it west on 3DS this year.

Awesome that this is coming to mobile, I always felt like my girlfriend would love the Professor Layton games, but she only really plays games on her phone.

Shiggy

With the visuals being quite a bit better on mobiles and it being just half the price there, I may just get it on Android instead.

Top Bottom