• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I feel cheated that Nintendo messed with the Snow bowling in Legend of Zelda BotW.

levyjl1988

Banned
So it seems like my Nintendo Switch updated on its own for Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild Patch 1.1.2, something I didn't voluntarily agree on btw, it just automatically performed the update without consent.

Anyway this video states the changes for the bowling..

https://youtu.be/iyZiDXDeJ-U?t=2m39s

I also purchased the Legend of Zelda Official Strategy Guide pictured here.

Cq2bmye.jpg

9myE6Qp.jpg

So it seems like even the helpful tips in the guide become useless when they patched this,.
Since this is an official strategy guide, can companies turn the switch and go against itself?

I feel that Nintendo is backwards especially when it came to their patch notes.

“Adjustments have been made to make for a more pleasant gaming experience.”

This patch has nothing but frustrating to me to be honest not what I wanted in my single player experience.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
You can disable automatic updates in the system settings.

Platy

We all know you really bought the guide for

1- koroks, which they will not make major changes in updates

2- display it in the shelf because holy fuck is that some glorious cover

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
In my 120+ hours with this game I never once saw snow bowling. I don't think it's a central point in the game.

Also, printed guides being made inaccurate by patches is not a new concept.

In my 120+ hours with this game I never once saw snow bowling. I don't think it's a central point in the game.

It's required to access a couple shrines in the Hebra region, but that's it.

kunonabi

this is why i made it a point to do all my star fragment and dragon farming as soon as i could. I don't need that crap to be any slower than it already is.

emb

I hate stuff like this. A game shouldn't change after release. Patches for critical game breaking bugs (and maybe objective improvements like Zelda's performance issue, or lowering load times) should get patched, but that kind of thing should be the exception, not the rule.

If that kind of thing bothers you though, definitely disable the auto updates. I also tend to disable internet connectivity most of the time too (unless I'm playing an online game), so games won't bug me about updates. Most people probably benefit more from just letting the updates roll, so it makes sense that it's on by default.

The Nintendo update that annoyed me the most was the one for MK8 a while back. They patched in hooks for the DLC, but in doing so, added the DLC racers and courses to the menu. Might as well have patched in big banner ads saying "GIVE US MONEY". As far as I could tell I couldn't delete it without erasing my save. That patch made me realize that I should opt out of most updates, before that I just avoided them because I didn't feel like taking the time.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Patches and DLC which invalidate the tips in Strategy Guides has been a thing for a long time now. There are other ways to mostly guarantee a strike though in the bowling minigame, so you can do those.

Is this a joke thread? I am not sure...

Some guy is mad because a patch changed a little minigame in the game? A mini game that many players probably not even discover, like many other hidden​ things in BotW.

Speely

Banned
Here is my tip

Stasis + a few hits = strike.

First time too

*smug*

Consistently? With how finicky lining up the direction can be when using statis, I can't imagine it working regularly. Not saying that it doesn't for you, but I will admit to being skeptical.

Nintendo isn't the first company to break/adjust farming methods in games, especially ones that break in game currency acquisition. So yeah, it sucks, but saying "I feel cheated" is kind of sad.

Also I'm still getting constant strikes by throwing it into that hole so...

Bowl0l

More accurately, the actual act of "snow bowling" is needed to unlock two shrines. The minigame itself is separate.
That makes more sense. Somehow bowling to get shrines is more easy to figure out than the bowling mini game.

TDonk

Consistently? With how finicky lining up the direction can be when using statis, I can't imagine it working regularly. Not saying that it doesn't for you, but I will admit to being skeptical.

I did it only once when mopping up shrines, straight on with the front pin it was too.

Can't say it is guaranteed every time.

GoldStarz

Yeah but it's the easiest way to make rupees in the whole game so people are understandably upset. Not their fault you didn't walk five feet past Hebra Tower to find that out.

I had no idea that minigame even existed despite having all 120 shrines for weeks now.
Edit: the Goron climbing minigame is a super easy way to farm money.

joker3782

Neo Member
This snow bowling is blowing my mind right now. Didn't know this was a thing in the game. Never encountered it once in the 80 hours I spent playing the game.

bionic77

This snow bowling is blowing my mind right now. Didn't know this was a thing in the game. Never encountered it once in the 80 hours I spent playing the game.
:lol same here.

I found it like 100 hours in when I was just looking at the map for clues as to where to go next.

Once you figure the trick it is a easy way to make rupees. Decorating that home ain't cheap!

PSGames

The key to getting the proper direction with Stasis is to use a Spear type weapon.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Patches and updates changing how things work in a game and invalidating the strategy guide are not remotely new. I believe balance changes made the Dark Souls 1 (or was it Demon's Souls?) strategy guide almost completely useless after a while.

bionic77

It's really not hard to figure out how to hit strikes. Took me like 4 turns.

I can't do it everytime but I usually get strikes one in two or definitely one in three bowls.

bionic77

I had a complete house before I even unlocked the camera. Gems and monster bits can get you whatever you want.
The home is not expensive to decorate but some of the gear and other stuff is pricey.

It was not gear but one thing I found cost me 10k in rupees!

neto

I'm OK with this, go out and roll a ball down a bumpy slope and I'm sure you will not get the same trajectory every time

Takat

I got a strike on my second try from the location he pointed out. First time there (never even knew about this before this thread, 200h in).

maybe they just changed it to people who farm the ruppees?

Top Bottom