• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Nintendo) Wii Sales in North America EXCEEDED expectations

In the same news article that gave us the 10.4M 360's shipped nugget to be announced next week, this bit went unnoticed?????

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2007/01/microsoft_cross.html

Lastly, Nintendo hasn't yet disclosed how many Wiis it sold during the holidays. But Beth Lewellyn, a spokeswoman for Nintendo of America, said that sales in North America exceeded Nintendo's expectations. Nintendo predicted it would sell four million consoles worldwide by Dec. 31, but she could not confirm that number.

So, good news for Microsoft, good news for Nintendo.... Methinks someone's going to feel left out come Thursday's NPD release.

ethelred

sonycowboy said:
So, good news for Microsoft, good news for Nintendo.... Methinks someone's going to feel left out come Thursday's NPD release.

Just wait for that certain someone's post-NPD press release where we'll learn that they really had the most success of all this December.

AniHawk

Odysseus said:

God dammit. People are always bashing the N-Gage. Sure it might be expensive, but the games will come, AND the system's got a lot of extra features. Just give it a chance.

RaijinFY

AniHawk said:
God dammit. People are always bashing the N-Gage. Sure it might be expensive, but the games will come, AND the system's got a lot of extra features. Just give it a chance.

:lol :lol :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What defines "left out?" If they clear 700k in the NPDs, they'll be tracking higher than the 360 last year in America...so that's pretty good. Obviously they won't match what Microsoft is doing and the Wii is another story all together.

Odysseus

Banned
AniHawk said:

third parties love it, right?

Y2Kevbug11 said:
What defines "left out?" If they clear 700k in the NPDs, they'll be tracking higher than the 360 last year in America...so that's pretty good.

Last year's "pretty good" is this year's "doomed".

Y2Kevbug11 said:
What defines "left out?" If they clear 700k in the NPDs, they'll be tracking higher than the 360 last year in America...so that's pretty good. Obviously they won't match what Microsoft is doing and the Wii is another story all together.

Keep that stuff away, man.

Dahbomb

Sony's press release after NPD:

"Best selling $500-$600 console in the history of gaming. Fastest selling next-gen console (Wii = "new" gen), outpaces 360 month for month when both are released, PS3 not even released worldwide yet. 1.5 million units sold (they actually mean shipped here) worldwide, goal for 2006 met. Still on target to sell 6 million units by end of Spring. Playstation brand is as strong as ever.

In other news, both PS2 and PSP see strong boost in sales, PSP has best month evar!!111"

Lapsed

Banned
AniHawk said:

It is selling well when you consider its price. Just think of the sales after a price drop!

PS- You forgot to mention lapsed gamers.

hadareud

The Translator
_leech_ said:
Last year's "pretty good" is this year's "doomed".
I think you will have a hard time finding a quote from last year of someone saying that the 360 launch sales were pretty good.

but it's all a conspiracy.

castle007

Banned
Sony will focus on the PS2 and PSP sales. And then leave a sentence at the end saying how PS3 is having great sales

Scottlarock said:
Bush_doing_it_wrong.jpg

Y2Kevbug11 said:
You mean...doomed?

DOOOOOMED!!!

Logic. You think that just because Sony have sold more PS3s at launch than Microsoft did 360s, and all of Sony's stock has been sold, that PS3 isn't doomed and Sony aren't about to die? Open your eyes.

hadareud said:
I think you will have a hard time finding a quote from last year of someone saying that the 360 launch sales were pretty good.

but it's all a conspiracy.

Seriously. Just because it's better than complete crap doesn't make it 'good' on an objective level.

Not to mention Microsoft pulled off a WW launch. Sony couldn't manage that.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
sonycowboy said:
In the same news article that gave us the 10.4M 360's shipped nugget to be announced next week, this bit went unnoticed?????

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2007/01/microsoft_cross.html

:lol at all those people who thought Wii couldn't sell more than 500k in Dec.

Pureauthor said:
Seriously. Just because it's better than complete crap doesn't make it 'good' on an objective level.

Not to mention Microsoft pulled off a WW launch. Sony couldn't manage that.

Not to also mention that the time period between November 2005 and November 2006 actually took place and existed and will not be revealed later in a weekly comic book series. Comparing the PS3's performance to the 360's instead of looking at it in its own timeframe today seems pretty blatantly misguided.

rs7k

I wonder if Sony would have managed to sell out this holiday if they had three times the supply. I'm really worried since no one is talking about the PS3 in a good light. It's a wonderful system, but it's not generating Playstation-type buzz at all. With the stories about PS3's not selling in the U.S. (although I assume they're mostly returns from eBay scalpers who have no intention of playing expensive systems), I'd be shitting my pants if I were SCEA.

No doubt the PS3 will kill the 360 in Europe and Japan, but for Sony to lose North America would be a disaster for them, especially because it's a huge target market for Blu-Ray. And who knows how much consumer dollars Nintendo will steer away from Sony and MS. Frankly, it's a fair prediction to say the PS3 will finish third in NA by 2010 unless they get their pricing right. 2007 will be a huge year, and what I see driving console sales is Halo 3 exclusivity, and a cheaper way to play GTA4. Losing GTA as an exclusive may have hurt Sony a heck of a lot more than people think.

It's also interesting to note the 20GB PS3 is only $50 more expensive than the Premium 360 in Canada.

P.S. I'm not a fanboy before someone tries to convince me otherwise.

RaijinFY

rs7k said:
I wonder if Sony would have managed to sell out this holiday if they had three times the supply. I'm really worried since no one is talking about the PS3 in a good light. It's a wonderful system, but it's not generating Playstation-type buzz at all. With the stories about PS3's not selling in the U.S. (although I assume they're mostly returns from eBay scalpers who have no intention of playing expensive systems), I'd be shitting my pants if I were SCE.

Heh fixed for better accuracy...

I dunno if the 360 is doing so bad in Europe that PS3 dominance is assured. Any problems 360 is having is down to price, not image, which is exactly what PS3 is going to be battling with. Then again, I'm in the UK, where I think 360 is supposedly better received than elsewhere in Europe.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Avutta1978 said:
well the lunched in 3 major regions and are about to hit their 4 millon target so what is not a success there.

That's a lot of hungry mouths they fed this Christmas!

rs7k

TheGreatDave said:
I dunno if the 360 is doing so bad in Europe that PS3 dominance is assured. Any problems 360 is having is down to price, not image, which is exactly what PS3 is going to be battling with. Then again, I'm in the UK, where I think 360 is supposedly better received than elsewhere in Europe.

Europe is Playstation land in the same way Japan was Playstation land (not nearly on the same scale). The brand there is a lot stronger than in the U.S.

It will be pricey though. It would be a huge coup for MS to sell more 360s than PS3s.

LJ11

Avutta it's launch, not lunch. People have been ragging on you for months about it but you still do it. Write it down or something.

Top Bottom