• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Nintendo) Wii Sales in North America EXCEEDED expectations

rs7k said:
Europe is Playstation land in the same way Japan was Playstation land (not nearly on the same scale). The brand there is a lot stronger than in the U.S.

It will be pricey though. It would be a huge coup for MS to sell more 360s than PS3s.

I know first hand the association Sony have had with gaming here in the UK for a long time, but honestly every game store I'm in now push 360 and DS. Obviously the PS2 is old and the PSP doesn't have good software sales, but there's something to be said for how much the 360 is being pushed. I don't remember the original one ever being at this level.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
TheGreatDave said:
I dunno if the 360 is doing so bad in Europe that PS3 dominance is assured. Any problems 360 is having is down to price, not image, which is exactly what PS3 is going to be battling with. Then again, I'm in the UK, where I think 360 is supposedly better received than elsewhere in Europe.
The problem is not price. Do you know the PS2 launched with a 450 Euro price point in Europe?
The problem 360 has may be its image or its softwares or HDTV penetration in Europe or something else.
Wii is already at about the same price as a core 360, so its not only the price.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
TheGreatDave said:
I dunno if the 360 is doing so bad in Europe that PS3 dominance is assured. Any problems 360 is having is down to price, not image, which is exactly what PS3 is going to be battling with. Then again, I'm in the UK, where I think 360 is supposedly better received than elsewhere in Europe.

Of all the territories, I can honestly see Europe being the area where all the three manufacturers end in a dead heat. Six months ago, I would have predicted North America to end that way, but now I see that MS and Ninty have much of the momentum.

Jammy

Banned
rs7k said:
I wonder if Sony would have managed to sell out this holiday if they had three times the supply. I'm really worried since no one is talking about the PS3 in a good light. It's a wonderful system, but it's not generating Playstation-type buzz at all. With the stories about PS3's not selling in the U.S. (although I assume they're mostly returns from eBay scalpers who have no intention of playing expensive systems), I'd be shitting my pants if I were SCEA.

PS3's a wonderful system without a doubt, but it doesn't have any games right now, especially that warrant a $500 or $600 purchase. And with many people seeing PS3s all over the place now, I'm not sure if three times the amount of supply would do much but turn the system into another PSP.

starship said:
The problem is not price. Do you know the PS2 launched with a 450 Euro price point in Europe?
The problem 360 has may be its image or its softwares or HDTV penetration in Europe or something else.
Wii is already at about the same price as a core 360, so its not only the price.

I dunno about in the rest of Europe, but here the 360 has seen a lot more interest since they lowered the price/bundled a ****ton of shit with the console. I honestly think once the Premium gets down to £250 with a game the thing will be a big threat for Sony. Right now, it's doing well, but not a market leader.

Barf_the_Mog said:
Of all the territories, I can honestly see Europe being the area where all the three manufacturers end in a dead heat. Six months ago, I would have predicted North America to end that way, but now I see that MS and Ninty have much of the momentum.

I don't know what to make of America. It's going to take a long time for Sony to surpass 360 in sales, to the point where the headstart 360 has may stop it ever happening. For Sony to totally dominate the competition and sell well over double what the 360 does for the next year or so just seems impossible with it's current price tag. And Wii could easily be another Gamecube if the releases take too long to come out and the support isn't there. I don't know what to expect, honestly. Which is kinda nice.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Is anyone surprised? The day of the launch, I saw the soccer moms lined up in front of Wal-Mart at 5 AM. I could tell it was going to be a phenomenon.... now my girlfriend's mother intends to buy one for her father.. and I'm not surprised. Things have definitely changed. 2007 will be the year of the Wii.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm not surprised at all. And you know what? I bet they would have sold better if they could actually deliver enough consoles because I've been waiting for a chance to buy one for weeks now and not only have I wasted about 3 opportunities since December to get one, if I can't find mine in the coming weeks I'll have to wait 'til march, and I really want to play Twilight Princess.
Oh and it's funny how actually producing enough consoles to meet demand means doom for Sony now. Not that I wish them any luck <_<; this is a Nintendo praise thread, right?

Zynx

PR speak - Nintendo should be expecting everything they ship to sell, so they can't possibly "exceed expectations". Unless truly their expectations were so low they didn't expect a sellout launch.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Zynx said:
PR speak - Nintendo should be expecting everything they ship to sell, so they can't possibly "exceed expectations". Unless truly their expectations were so low they didn't expect a sellout launch.
Nintendo shipped enough GCs and the thing didn't sell out at launch. Stop stealth trolling.

vitaflo

BocoDragon said:
Is anyone surprised? The day of the launch, I saw the soccer moms lined up in front of Wal-Mart at 5 AM. I could tell it was going to be a phenomenon.... now my girlfriend's mother intends to buy one for her father.. and I'm not surprised. Things have definitely changed. 2007 will be the year of the Wii.

I'm not so sure. The hype exceded expectations, there are certainly people I know who want one who I never thought would be interested in one, but Nintendo needs to get systems out now to sell to these people. In a couple months the hype will die down and then we'll really see if people remember to pick one up.

Nintendo did a smart thing with packing in Wii Sports and making it such a great party game. A lot of people got to play a Wii over the holidays and it generated a ton of good will towards the system. The problem is they really should be flooding the market now with Wii's for those people to buy and they just can't meet demand. I have a feeling they may lose some sales because of it.

BocoDragon

Fireblend said:
I'm not surprised at all. And you know what? I bet they would have sold better if they could actually deliver enough consoles because I've been waiting for a chance to buy one for weeks now and not only have I wasted about 3 opportunities since December to get one, if I can't find mine in the coming weeks I'll have to wait 'til march, and I really want to play Twilight Princess.
Oh and it's funny how actually producing enough consoles to meet demand means doom for Sony now. Not that I wish them any luck <_<; this is a Nintendo praise thread, right?

I've been trying to get one too. I'd still be in that zone where the Wii doesn't exist yet, except my brother stayed at my place for a week and the little bastard had found a Wii the day after launch.

Sony's greatest opponent in Europe is not the X360 or the Wii - its the Playstation 2. I is cheap, has many casual and party games such as Buzz, the Eyetoy range, and Singstar which are killer apps over here, and sell both singly as well as in dedicated bundles.

splattergnome said:
Sony's greatest opponent in Europe is not the X360 or the Wii - its the Playstation 2. I is cheap, has many casual and party games such as Buzz, the Eyetoy range, and Singstar which are killer apps over here, and sell both singly as well as in dedicated bundles.

It's not that cheep. £100 for a PS2 when a Wii is £180 with a game isn't that big a difference. I can't believe Sony have been able to keep that price so long, it's a testament to the PS2's quality.

Zynx said:

I, like many others, didn't expect a sellout at launch. Maybe very initially, but nothing like this.

Dizzy

Banned
Razoric said:
*shakes head*

That's still the most pathetic website ever created. I can't believe that the members there let a games console get to them that much....it's just plastic....it's not human...it can't talk, or insult them...and yet they hate it so much...

Linkup

Carlisle said:
PS3's sales numbers will be way off considering 2/3 of them were returned.

Exactly, so cut the numbers by 2/3 of the total amount and we'll have actual sales.

i'm joking

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Dizzy said:
*shakes head*

That's still the most pathetic website ever created. I can't believe that the members there let a games console get to them that much....it's just plastic....it's not human...it can't talk, or insult them...and yet they hate it so much...

Uhhhh Seaman? Hello?

BocoDragon

ghostlyjoe said:
It was a stupid troll, but a ban for that? People troll all the time -- why is this guy special?
It's kinda like this....

...you say the wrong combination of words... you get slimed!

316slime.gif

Branduil

I'm sure glad that guy got banned and the guy who was happy that kid got electrocuted by his game boy is still scot-free.

ganonCustom2.jpg

AniHawk said:
God dammit. People are always bashing the N-Gage. Sure it might be expensive, but the games will come, AND the system's got a lot of extra features. Just give it a chance.

ganonCustom2.jpg

For some reason, i read that and it nearly cracked me up!!! :lol

SoVos20

Banned
That is what happens when you have low expectations.

Sony could have moved 20 million PS3 if they had shipped that many. Nintendo only sold more because sony didn't ship as many. But by years end expect over 20 million PS3 to be sold.

AniHawk

SoVos20 said:

Sony could have moved 20 million PS3 if they had shipped that many. Nintendo only sold more because sony didn't ship as many. But by years end expect over 20 million PS3 to be sold.

Wait, what.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
So Nintendo intentionally made a big deal of removing the line about possibly selling just over a million in NA by the end of the year in that PR so people would expect very little? :D

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Fuzzy said:
So Nintendo intentionally made a big deal of removing the line about possibly selling just over a million in NA by the end of the year in that PR so people would expect very little? :D
Either that or so they could say they exceeded, rather than met, expectations. :lol

Sean

Banned
SoVos20 said:

:lol

Jammy

Banned
SoVos20 said:

Have you been ignoring the fact that PS3s have been quite available for about a week now? Many gamers in this forum as well as media like ABC and sites like ****** have found many on the shelves. Even the morning both systems were available on Amazon the Wii sold out in mere seconds while the PS3 sold out in a good half hour or slightly more.

Branduil

SoVos20 said:

crazyfacemv3.jpg

jvalioli

SoVos20 said:

Post history says...
Already wii is pushed into the closet. Won't be long before msot Wiis just end up collecting dust.
The only reason wii sold one million is because nintendo flooded the market. If M$ had shipped 1 million Xbox360 you can bet 1 million would have sold out in a day.
They aren't competing with anyone. Their goal is to market towards the simple minded and little children.
And: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98002

All your Nintendo related posts have something in common. :lol :lol

Wraith

SoVos20 said:

:lol

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
SoVos20 said:

reggie_shrug.jpg

ivysaur12

Banned
SoVos20 said:

It just keeps getting better and better...

EDIT: On an unrelated note, he has over 300 posts. When do Juniors go to being Members? I thought it was around 150.

Gigglepoo

Y2Kevbug11 said:
What defines "left out?" If they clear 700k in the NPDs, they'll be tracking higher than the 360 last year in America...so that's pretty good. Obviously they won't match what Microsoft is doing and the Wii is another story all together.

"Tracking higher?"

Who the heck are you, Johnny Wall Street?

linsivvi

SoVos20 said:

So why is Carlisle banned for trolling but not this guy?

Top Bottom