• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC most profitable (singular) platform for Activision this quarter

Lister

Banned
From DSO.

For this quarter at least (will probably change when the next big AAA console driven shooter hits). But pretty impressive. Activision is one of the if not THE biggest publisher out there and for PC to be it's number one platform is pretty cool.

As you can see consoles are lumped together, so it's pretty much certain that the PC is larger than either PS4 or Xbone, even if the ratio is (likely) pretty lopsided in favor of the PS4. Also note that revenue is higher this year than last for PC but lower for console. What came out last year on console, and what came out this year for PC?

dasdasdasdsa.jpg

PC is beast?

Lump me together with other platforms if old.

activisionlol0iszk.png

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The winds are shifting and it's been long overdue. Hope this news means other publishers get that PC is the future of gaming.

All that nonsense about piracy leading to late ports, bad ports, dumbed down options... Things are changing for the better. I really hope all publishers see the light.

Fiendcode

I think the real takeaway here is how fast mobile's growing for them. Double the increase of PC and now nearly on par with it.

The winds are shifting and it's been long overdue. Hope this news means other publishers get that PC is the future of gaming.

All that nonsense about piracy leading to late ports, bad ports, dumbed down options... Things are changing for the better. I really hope all publishers see the light.
The solution was always good pricing and ready availability and with good Internet being more pervasive and digital platforms with good prices it's all helping out

What people really think. How much difference is there with the platforms in the past? Activision releases not that many games and most of the revenue is probably from service games from Blizzard.

From that pic, it seems that PC was probably the most profittable platform in the last year too. And that was before Overwatch. It would be better if there's more comparison to previous years to see the growth.

Tarrin

With Blizzard no duh.

Wonder if in the next year or two Mobile will be their most profitable platform. That growth.

The acquisition of King was huge.

Grief.exe

Mobile is the long term future, but PC is still seeing huge gains in Asia as well. Console revenue are generally stagnating.

kswiston

King wouldn't have been included in (most of?) last year's Q1, so that mobile bump is mostly due to having them this time around. The King deal wasn't finalized until the end of Feb last year.

EDIT: And by this, I basically mean that you can't really infer anything about the growth of mobile from this quarter. Beyond "Buying a company that makes a lot of revenue will increase the amount of revenue you are making" of course.

What has Activision released on consoles this quarter? It would just be COD IW sales right. They have the most successful MMO so is it even a surprise OP?

Caffeine

they should stop treating the cod pc versions customers like second hand customers :p they would make more cash at least i guess destiny 2 is gonna have nice support.

Also note that revenue is higher this year than last for PC but lower for console.
Huh? That's the exact opposite of what the data shows. PC net revenue is down YoY, and console net revenue is up. That's (partly) why the revenue share percentage for PC fell.

EDIT: Please ignore my entire idiocy, I somehow flipped the PC and console lines in my head.

kswiston

Huh? That's the exact opposite of what the data shows. PC net revenue is down YoY, and console net revenue is up. That's (partly) why the revenue share percentage for PC fell.

What are you looking at to come to that conclusion? Are you mixing up the years since they listed 2017 first? I am confused.

This is 100% because of Blizzard. Blizzard also posted the highest revenue of any part of Activision (Activision, Blizzard, King)

Grief.exe

Source? Just think it's weird considering how well the PS4 is doing.

That's a narrow approach to a global industry. To sum up quickly, total users of console continue to stagnate yoy, mobile is attracting the majority of the new consumers, and consoles are struggling to break into growing markets, such as Asia, in a huge way.

This is a commonly held belief considering the data and the projected growth. If you believe differently, I suggest you start doing your own research.

That's a narrow approach to a global industry. To sum up quickly, total users of console continue to stagnate yoy, mobile is attracting the majority of the new consumers, and consoles are struggling to break into growing markets, such as Asia, in a huge way.

Maybe, but couldn't the same be said about PC gaming's share of the western triple-A market? NPD shows that PC game sales (the ones that NPD tracks) have been dropping for three months straight. Do you feel that PC gaming has managed to increase its share in the triple-A market? I don't. It seems to me that for most big publishers console is still their bread and butter and PC is a nice dessert.

Kyougar

Maybe, but couldn't the same be said about PC gaming's share of the western triple-A market? NPD shows that PC game sales (the ones that NPD tracks) have been dropping for three months straight. Do you feel that PC gaming has managed to increase its share in the triple-A market? I don't. It seems to me that for most big publishers console is still their bread and butter and PC is a nice dessert.

Why should we care about the decline of AAA sales on PC in the US?

1. Most AAA games are multiplatform Consolecentric (in usability and scope) games that are released regardless.
2. the US is consolecentric and doesnt compare to the rest of the world.
3. the majority of PC releases are medium-publisher (which nearly died out on console if they didnt have backing from the platform holder) or indie.
4. most AAA games are designed for the mainstream (Ubisoft formula) or release one sequel after another.

Why should we care about the decline of AAA sales on PC in the US?

One of the PC platform's core strengths is the breadth of its gaming catalog and the fact that you can enjoy both niche gaming experiences and the best versions of all big multiplatform titles. If AAA sales decline significantly then publishers will either put less effort into their PC versions or they will abandon the platform, which will cause mainstream customers to flee too. We might be in for a repeat of the mid-00s situation.

Most profitable platform =/ the single platform making the most profit

The most profitable platform for activision is still mobile
Also revenue is not profits, lol

Edit: ios should be the most profitable singular platform, if we count mobile as 2 different

Grief.exe

NPD for PC sales

jOK9KaA.png

Top Bottom