• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman v Superman is not that bad...

I finally watched this movie because I felt that I "had to" and I was expecting complete trash. But it's not that bad. The biggest issue I have with the movie is of course that character's motivations make absolutely no sense, but it's something I can get past. In fact I think it's a much better movie than Dark Knight Rises which was just boring and action just seemed fake. Anyone else here enjoyed it? I can see why many people would not like it, but it's hard for me to understand why so many hated it...

EDIT: I should probably clarify that I watched Ultimate Edition and that I don't think that it's that great, but I found it more enjoyable than Dark Knight Rises and way more enjoyable than I expected it to be (I actually made it through 3 hour movie :))

Ultimate edition is amazing. Worst part of the movie is the Martha part.

Amazing equals... How can I finance my poorly constructed primary school fan draft of a movie with the budget this movie got?

Fury451

Banned
If you take out all the hyperbole surrounding it, on the baselevel it's still a very poor story that's executed and edited in a very bad way all around.

I know some people say that the ultimate cut is better, but frankly I have no interest because the base story is still garbage and even if some of the editing is improved it's not enough to change what I think about the concept as a whole.

a916

Yes, maybe that helped. But I'm unsure what are the differences are :)

Those quick jarring cuts are gone, scenes flow better into each other... they flush out, above all else, Clark's storyline and Lex (Batman remains untouched I believe)

Certinty

It is that bad.

Saying that the Ultimate Edition was a lot better. But considering it's 3 hours long it's just ridiculous.

As just a movie, it sucks.

As a movie for fans of Batman and Superman, it's like delivering a jar of urine marked "Granny's Peach Tea" to your doorstep then blowing you up while a selfish demagogue stares on nonchalantly.

Sapiens

It's shit.

Edit: Don't force yourself to like something. Move on. Watch another movie. There are plenty of good ones you have not watched yet. Some of them might have people without super powers in them.

Agreed, its got some good and bad, but its just over stuffed and a bit pretentious. Had you removed all the Doomsday and JL teasers and just focused on BvS and idealogical differences between the two and made it more character driven it would have been great. Shouldn't have had Eisenberg but i enjoyed his performance.

Superman can fly, Batman is good in a fight and has the gadgets. I kept my expectations below hype, and I'm happy with the return on my investment, so to speak.

Can't get behind the way that Lex was written/played though. Just can't.

The Ultimate ed is ok. But theatrical cut is shit. But still better than Thor 2 or suicide squad.

It gets more hate because most didnt give it a second chance with the extended cut.

I finally watched this movie because I felt that I "had to" and I was expecting complete trash. But it's not that bad. The biggest issue I have with the movie is of course that character's motivations make absolutely no sense, but it's something I can get past. In fact I think it's a much better movie than Dark Knight Rises which was just boring and action just seemed fake. Anyone else here enjoyed it? I can see why many people would not like it, but it's hard for me to understand why so many hated it...

Isn't that kind of important for a movie like this?

BumRush

This is coming from someone that loved MoS...BvS was my biggest movie letdown since Indiana Jones 4. Expectations were high and it was poorly written and overly devoid of fun.

In the end, it's watchable, but it's definitely not a good movie.

Donos

hGfH82k.jpg

Brace yourself.

DKR hate is one of the weirdest on gaf. Easily better than 95% of comic book movies out there. Not Spiderman 2, DK & Winter Soldier tier, but definitely next on the best of the best list.

WillyFive

There are almost no redeeming qualities to this movie, and it's made even worse due to the fact that this was the movie where Superman and Batman were together for the first time.

Isn't that kind of important for a movie like this?

It's an action movie. I can just laugh those things off. In fact it made that fight scene between them pretty hilarious. :)

Oh, and how can you forget Batman calling Superman a friend like 2 minutes after trying to kill him? That's one of the funniest lines in that movie! :)

Sephzilla

The Dark Knight Rises is a bad movie by Chris Nolan Batman standards, because the first two Nolan Batman movies are two of the best in the entire superhero genre.

Batman v Superman is a bad movie by normal movie standards.

-Pointless, grim for grim's sake killing of Jimmy Olsen
-A Superman that seems really dour on having to save people
-Unexciting youtube videos of the justice league members
-Batman murdering a bunch of people
-the big, titular fight is in a shitty abandoned building, main moment is in a men's room
-Doomsday looked like complete ass
-Jolly Rancher
-Jar of Piss
-Lex blowing up his assistant for no reason
-Lois somehow knowing to go back for the spear

Probably a dozen more things I'm forgetting.

Eidan

It's pretty bad. I nearly choked on my coffee at your suggestion that it's better than Dark Knight Rises.

Most misunderstood movie of recent times.

Yes, it has some major problems, but the themes, photography, music, and production values can't be touched by anything in the genre.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I didn't care for it. Yes, even the Ultimate Edition. It's like a Transformers movie that decided to take itself 100% seriously.

I also hate how the outside fights are shot. It's green screened from hell and back and just looks off to me. Interior fights look perfectly fine. But if it's nighttime and outside in these films, my brain just screams "This looks wrong. Wrong! Wrong! WRONG!" Noticed the same thing in the Justice League trailers.

The Dark Knight Rises is a bad movie by Chris Nolan Batman standards, because the first two Nolan Batman movies are two of the best in the entire superhero genre.

Batman v Superman is a bad movie by normal movie standards.

It's pretty bad. I nearly choked on my coffee at your suggestion that it's better than Dark Knight Rises.

To be fair my expectations for DKR were opposite of BvS. Maybe that's why I found DKR so shockingly disappointing. But at least I was not bored during BvS.

-Pointless, grim for grim's sake killing of Jimmy Olsen
-A Superman that seems really dour on having to save people
-Unexciting youtube videos of the justice league members
-Batman does things he normally does
-the big, titular fight is in a shitty abandoned building, main moment is in a men's room
-Doomsday looked like complete ass
-Jolly Rancher
-Jar of Piss
-Lex blowing up his assistant for no reason
-Lois somehow knowing to go back for the spear

Probably a dozen more things I'm forgetting.
Ftfy

Eidan

To be fair my expectations for DKR were opposite of BvS. Maybe that's why I found DKR so shockingly disappointing. But at least I was not bored during BvS.

Also surprising, because BvS is a remarkably boring film. They somehow found a way to make the titular fight that the shit show was built upon completely uninteresting. I think it says a lot that the most riveting scene in the movie, the opening sequence in Metropolis, is simply the climax of another movie from another POV.

Top Bottom