• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rank The Batman Movies

Hey Gaf, what's your ranking? And why? I got curious. My ranking will be below!

Love/Some of my favorite movies period:
The Dark Knight Rises (Masterpiece)
The Dark Knight (Masterpiece)
Batman Begins (Masterpiece)
Batman Returns (Tim Burton Gothic Masterpiece)
Batman 1989/The Batman (Tied. 89 is a classic, TB is really good filmmaking in an age where that seems rare)

I like it:
The Lego Batman Movie (A lot of fun)
Batman Forever (Honestly Underrated)
Batman v Superman (Are we counting this as a batman movie? Can we? Well regardless barley makes it here but has the warehouse fight)

I actively don't like:
Batman and Robin

Last edited:
Am I the only one in the world who likes Batman and Robin?

Did you forget Patterbat? I was really hyped for it and that could only end in disappointment.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
My personal ranking would be:

The Dark Knight - strong contender for best superhero movie ever made, and by far my favorite Batman film. The villains are excellent of course, but this is probably also Bale's strongest outing as Batman

Batman Begins - Doesn't quite have as many iconic scenes as the Dark Knight, but is avery well-crafted, solidly executed film. There's a reason that season 1 of Netflix's Daredevil cribbed so shamelessly from this movie, it really set the standard for how to do a grounded and "realistic" superhero origin story

Batman Returns
- despite questionable faithfulness to the comics, Michelle Pfeiffer's portrayal really defined my mental image of Catwoman in a lot of ways because she's just that good in the role. Overall I think this is a more ambitious, stylish, and just plain fun movie than the first Burton Batman

Batman - I have a lot of issues with this film (Jack Nicholson's Joker feels like he really misses the mark, particularly when he starts obsessing over Vicky Vale), but its style is nevertheless iconic and I love Keaton's vibe of being subtly...off

The Dark Knight Rises - extremely messy and overstuffed, but nevertheless entertaining, Hardy's Bane is nothing like the comics but is pretty entertaining in his own right, and I love when Gotham goes full No Man's Land. The sort of movie that is easy to pick apart, but which still lands some solid emotional beats

Batman v Superman
- not a great film, but has a number of really great Batman scenes. The opening, with Bruce running through Metropolois trying to save people, is perfect. And the scene where he bursts in and goes full Arkham Asylum is the Batman fighting scene I've been waiting my life to see.

Batman Forever - O'Donell's Robin is eminently hateable, but I actually like Kilmer's Batman. Shame the villains always feel far too goofy to be genuinely menacing

Batman and Robin - A genuinely terrible film on almost every level

The Dark Knight - strong contender for best superhero movie ever made, and by far my favorite Batman film. The villains are excellent of course, but this is probably also Bale's strongest outing as Batman

Batman Begins - Doesn't quite have as many iconic scenes as the Dark Knight, but is avery well-crafted, solidly executed film. There's a reason that season 1 of Netflix's Daredevil cribbed so shamelessly from this movie, it really set the standard for how to do a grounded and "realistic" superhero origin story

Batman Returns - despite questionable faithfulness to the comics, Michelle Pfeiffer's portrayal really defined my mental image of Catwoman in a lot of ways because she's just that good in the role. Overall I think this is a more ambitious, stylish, and just plain fun movie than the first Burton Batman

Batman - I have a lot of issues with this film (Jack Nicholson's Joker feels like he really misses the mark, particularly when he starts obsessing over Vicky Vale), but its style is nevertheless iconic and I love Keaton's vibe of being subtly...off

The Dark Knight Rises - extremely messy and overstuffed, but nevertheless entertaining, Hardy's Bane is nothing like the comics but is pretty entertaining in his own right, and I love when Gotham goes full No Man's Land. The sort of movie that is easy to pick apart, but which still lands some solid emotional beats

Batman v Superman - not a great film, but has a number of really great Batman scenes. The opening, with Bruce running through Metropolois trying to save people, is perfect. And the scene where he bursts in and goes full Arkham Asylum is the Batman fighting scene I've been waiting my life to see.

Batman Forever - O'Donell's Robin is eminently hateable, but I actually like Kilmer's Batman. Shame the villains always feel far too goofy to be genuinely menacing

Solid. You didn't see the new one yet?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
9/10 Batman Begins, Dark Knight
8/10 Batman (the first one with Keaton). It was on a movie channel the other day and I watched most of it. Held up better than I thought
6/10 Dark Knight Rises
4/10 The Batman
1/10 Batman Robin, Batman Forever

No rating because I dont remember seeing it (though I I know I did). Batman Returns
No rating as I never saw it. Batman vs. Superman

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Batman Forever - 10/10
Batman 89 - 8/10
Batman and Robin - 8/10
Batman Returns - 7/10

The rest suck

kunonabi

1. Batman Returns
2. Batman 89
3. The Dark Knight
4. The Batman
5. Batman Begins
6. Batman Forever
7. Batman & Robin
8. The Dark Knight Rises

I don't really like anything after the top 3.

GeekyDad

GIF by Groundhog Day

INC

Am I the only one in the world who likes Batman and Robin?

Did you forget Patterbat? I was really hyped for it and that could only end in disappointment.
Fuck forgot

Batman begins
The batman
Batman 1989
Dark Knight
Batman returns

Rockondevil

1. BvS
2. Batman
3. The Batman
4. Batman Returns
5. Batman Forever
6. Batman & Robin
7. Batman Begins
8. The Dark Knight
9. The Dark Knight Rises

Regarding Batman & Robin as it’s always a hot topic. The movie is campy and is obviously made that way. It’s a fun movie aimed at kids and selling toys. Toys which were great at the time.
Tell me it’s any campier than Adam West? Go on.
People that love the Batman TV series and hate Batman & Robin make absolutely no sense and I immediately disregard them.

S Tier(In order) - Mask of the Phantasm
A Tier(In order) - The Batman, Batman Begins, Batman 1989, The Dark Knight
B Tier(In order) - Batman Returns, The Dark Knight Rises, Zack Snyder's Justice League
C Tier(In order) - Batman Forever, Batman and Robin
D Tier(In order) - Joss Whedon's Justice League, Batman V Superman
F Tier(In order) - nothing(BvS came close though)

Looking Forward to The Batman 2 and that James Gunn Damian Wayne movie.

Still hoping for a live action Batman Beyond.
maxresdefault.jpg

I think batmovies would be very different now if they made a more serious darker movie (even just a hair darker than Forever) with better performances from clooney and schwarzenegger. send robin away to college, nix batgirl, and have freeze menacing and mysterious and going around gotham like terminator

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Batman begin
Batman 1989
Dark Knight
Batman returns

The rest don't even matter, and are all average

Excellent post.

Not sure yours are numbered but I would say a simlar order

Begins is 1 for me. Classic and best batman movie

I would probably put Dark Knight as 2. Amazing movie, just a touch under Begins for me personally.

Then 89 and then Returns.

These dont count the animated movies some of which are great too.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I can't really put the in order because I liked these ones best when I saw them. Hard to say after all these years. These are my favorite though.

Batman
Batman begins
The batman
Batman returns
The dark knight.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
  1. The Batman - Matt Reeves absolutely nailed the surreal, larger-than-life tone of the world and characters. The best depiction of Gotham of any of the films, Pattinson was fantastic, and the story kept me guessing throughout. My only complaint was the unnecessary Joker cameo.
  2. The Dark Knight - Despite some choppy editing and hamfisted story telling, Zimmer's incredible score and Ledger's legendary performance puts this near the top of the pack.
  3. Batman Begins - Woefully underrated, and the most effective character study of Bruce Wayne/Batman of all of the films. Really set the standard for what future comic book/Batman films could become.
  4. Batman Returns - An iconic soundtrack, unforgettable over-the-top performances out of Danny DeVito and Michelle Pfeiffer, and a one-of-a-kind dreamlike tone. The Christmas vibes just add to the timelessness of this one.
  5. The Dark Knight Rises - The story is a complete mess and makes no sense if you think about it for a few minutes, but Tom Hardy's performance as Bane was amazing, especially considering the shoes he had to fill following up Heath Ledger's Joker. A disappointing conclusion to the Dark Knight trilogy, but it had some high points.
  6. Batman - This film defined comic book films of the late 80s/early 90s. Michael Keaton put in an iconic performance, Danny's Elfman's score still resonates today, and Burton's cinematography was groundbreaking. I think Jack Nicholson's performance as Joker is supremely overrated though and the film as a whole hasn't aged very well today.
  7. Batman Forever - Whatever, Jim Carrey was fun I guess.
  8. Batman & Robin - Yeah this one's awful.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
This is the correct order. Don't argue:

The Dark Knight / Batman Begins
The Batman
Batman 89
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman Returns
Batman Forever
Zack Snyder's Justice League
Batman v Superman
Batman and Robin

Last edited:
Which one's the one with Mr. Freeze?

I really liked that movie when I was a kid, and still do. I think nostalgia's clouding my judgment.

Jack Nicholson's and Heath Ledger's Jokers were good. Joaquin Phoenix's, on the other hand, felt pretentious.

I haven't seen all the movies, so I'm not ranking them.

VulcanRaven

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Returns
3. The Batman
4. Batman (1989)
5. Batman Begins
6. Batman Forever
7. The Dark Knight Rises
8. Batman & Robin
9. Batman (1966)

I like every one of them.

Last edited:

thefool

Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Batman Returns
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman
rest is not really important.

TDK is a better film than Begins, there's no doubt about that. But BB first hour is unmatched, its awe-inspiring and flawlessly edited. Capeshit will never be as good as this.

D_szE5oXkAEdiVv.jpg

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
TDK is a better film than Begins, there's no doubt about that. But BB first hour is unmatched, its awe-inspiring and flawlessly edited. Capeshit will never be as good as this.

D_szE5oXkAEdiVv.jpg

That was the moment I knew Nolan had got it absolutely right. Proper goosebumps moment for any long term Batman fan. The slow pan, accompanied by the rising Hans Zimmer score. Perfect.

i saw one of them in the 90's. can't remember what one. i think it was the one with Danny DeVito. can't remember shit about it. I've always wanted to watch the one with Jim Carrey but never got around to it.

saw the The Dark Knight which was good. didn't like the 1st or 3rd one in that trilogy.

the latest batman movie i really liked. so that's my favourite i guess.

If i was Tim Burton, i would have cast Alec Baldwin as Batman, Michael Keaton as The Joker (both fresh off Beetlejuice), Sean Young would stay as Vicki Vale, and Brad Douriff as Bob The Goon, and Peter Cushing as Alfred.

My favorite Batman movies in order....

Batman (Tim Burton/Michael Keaton)
Batman Returns (Tim Burton/Michael Keaton)
Batman Begins (Nolan/Christian Bale)

I really don't care about any of the other Batman movies.

Looking over this thread, it's nice to see a lot of love for Batman Returns. I thought that was generally considered a poor movie by audiences but it's my second favorite. Danny DeVito as the penguin was beyond awesome and on top of all that it feels like an actual Christmas movie.

I miss old Tim Burton.

Trilobit

S Tier(In order) - Mask of the Phantasm
A Tier(In order) - The Batman, Batman Begins, Batman 1989, The Dark Knight
B Tier(In order) - Batman Returns, The Dark Knight Rises, Zack Snyder's Justice League
C Tier(In order) - Batman Forever, Batman and Robin
D Tier(In order) - Joss Whedon's Justice League, Batman V Superman
F Tier(In order) - nothing(BvS came close though)

Looking Forward to The Batman 2 and that James Gunn Damian Wayne movie.

Still hoping for a live action Batman Beyond.
maxresdefault.jpg

Really, only one mention of Mask of the Phantasm so far? It's one of my absolute favourite Batman movies and in the highest echelon.

I agree with most of your choices, but I wouldn't put The Batman 2022 that high. Maybe not C but C++. It would have benefited from a much tighter script and more narrow focus on the story it wanted to tell. If it had continued in the same thrilling way of the first ten minutes it might have been even an A.

SpiceRacz

Looking over this thread, it's nice to see a lot of love for Batman Returns. I thought that was generally considered a poor movie by audiences but it's my second favorite. Danny DeVito as the penguin was beyond awesome and on top of all that it feels like an actual Christmas movie.

I miss old Tim Burton.

It's honestly a masterpiece compared to the dog shit superhero films today.

SpiceRacz

Really, only one mention of Mask of the Phantasm so far? It's one of my absolute favourite Batman movies and in the highest echelon.

I agree with most of your choices, but I wouldn't put The Batman 2022 that high. Maybe not C but C++. It would have benefited from a much tighter script and more narrow focus on the story it wanted to tell. If it had continued in the same thrilling way of the first ten minutes it might have been even an A.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member

Batman Returns - despite questionable faithfulness to the comics, Michelle Pfeiffer's portrayal really defined my mental image of Catwoman in a lot of ways because she's just that good in the role. Overall I think this is a more ambitious, stylish, and just plain fun movie than the first Burton Batman

Batman v Superman - not a great film, but has a number of really great Batman scenes. The opening, with Bruce running through Metropolois trying to save people, is perfect. And the scene where he bursts in and goes full Arkham Asylum is the Batman fighting scene I've been waiting my life to see.

1. The Batman - Matt Reeves absolutely nailed the surreal, larger-than-life tone of the world and characters. The best depiction of Gotham of any of the films, Pattinson was fantastic, and the story kept me guessing throughout. My only complaint was the unnecessary Joker cameo.
  2. The Dark Knight - Despite some choppy editing and hamfisted story telling, Zimmer's incredible score and Ledger's legendary performance puts this near the top of the pack.
  3. Batman Begins - Woefully underrated, and the most effective character study of Bruce Wayne/Batman of all of the films. Really set the standard for what future comic book/Batman films could become.
  4. Batman Returns - An iconic soundtrack, unforgettable over-the-top performances out of Danny DeVito and Michelle Pfeiffer, and a one-of-a-kind dreamlike tone. The Christmas vibes just add to the timelessness of this one.
  5. The Dark Knight Rises - The story is a complete mess and makes no sense if you think about it for a few minutes, but Tom Hardy's performance as Bane was amazing, especially considering the shoes he had to fill following up Heath Ledger's Joker. A disappointing conclusion to the Dark Knight trilogy, but it had some high points.
  6. Batman - This film defined comic book films of the late 80s/early 90s. Michael Keaton put in an iconic performance, Danny's Elfman's score still resonates today, and Burton's cinematography was groundbreaking. I think Jack Nicholson's performance as Joker is supremely overrated though and the film as a whole hasn't aged very well today.
  7. Batman Forever - Whatever, Jim Carrey was fun I guess.
  8. Batman & Robin - Yeah this one's awful.

Pretty much sums up my opinions, except I haven’t seen The Batman.
Dark Knight + Begins + Returns are the Batman movies I’ll go back to every once in a while. I saw Returns as a child and didn’t really care for it, then I rewatched it a few years ago and it’s seriously great. Just not a kids movie.
Begins and TDK are just great films. I don’t really care for the rest. I guess TDKR has to be seen if you really need to wrap up Nolan’s story, but the vision behind TDK isn’t there anymore. Burton’s first Batman is a movie I can’t get into for some reason. The rest is meh.

Pagusas

Elden Member
S tier:
The Dark Knight

A tier:
Batman
Batman Returns
Batman Begins

B Tier
The Batman

C Tier
Batman Forever

D Tier:
Batman and Robin

Martha tier:
Batman V Superman (bit seriously though, I'd put it on C tier)
This is my list, except move returns to S tier, and keep Bvs as Martha Tier.

• Strength
Reactions: Fbh
Batman Returns is my favorite. Not a very accurate depiction of these caharacters, but whatever. It's entertaining.

Everything else is just varying levels of meh. Dark Knight's only redeeming factor is the joker.

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
  1. The Dark Knight (literally only because of Heath's Joker)
  2. The Batman
  3. Batman Returns
  4. Batman
  5. Batman Begins
  6. Dark Knight Rises
  7. Batman & Robin
  8. Batman Forever

Romulus

For me, Batman Begins stands well above the rest. It's the only one that felt like a generally epic film on its own.

The Dark Knight was fine but the interrogation scene where Bale is wearing lipstick just looks ridiculous.
The rest of the film works well but just feels flat despite all the blockbuster Micheal Bay moments.
It just felt like an attempt to be the Terminator 2 level sequel and it wasn't.

Rises is just forgettable at best.

The Batman was good, but despite watching it recently I don't remember much.

Not going to say much on the older Keaton films. I did enjoy them at the time though.

Top Bottom