• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All aboard the Hotel Dusk hype train CHOO CHOOO

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Okay, If you haven't noticed all ready there is a sweet looking Graphic Adventure game coming out on the DS called Hotel Dusk.

Here is the website with a trailer
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/awij/index.html

It comes out this month, January 22nd.

The game got 8.0 8.0 and a whopping 10 from EGM, so it sounds like it might be the real deal holyfield folks. I'd post screens but I'm at work. So it's up to you guys. Get the hype train in motion. Make sure this game gets the love it deserves.

Edit: Screens, thanks go to Error2k4

hoteldusk21520060509002fq3.jpg

hoteldusk21520060509002nx3.jpg

hoteldusk21520060509002nq1.jpg

Phthisis

Trace Memory without the 12 year old otaku girl? Murder? Hand-drawn art style?

*boards*

Been waiting for this one for a LONG time.

JavyOO7

You know what, I'm going to get the other game that Cing made for the DS in preparation for this one: Trace Memory. I liked it for the hour or two that I played it.

Here are some screen shots:
hotel-dusk-215-20060509002445027.jpg
hotel-dusk-215-20060509002447387.jpg
hotel-dusk-215-20060509002447934.jpg
hotel-dusk-215-20060509002448371.jpg
hotel-dusk-215-20060509002448809.jpg
hotel-dusk-215-20060509002449309.jpg

Bought Trace Memory the other day (haven't played it yet) after getting so hyped on this game and wanting to play their other stuff.

By buying this game you are supporting:
1. Adventure games
2. Touch-screen centric games
3. DS games from the ground up
4. Games with experimental art styles.

The game. You will buy it.

180256b.jpg

Really hyped about this game, has always been on my radar, but my hype has been building ever since it was brought up on 1up yours.

sprsk

Indeed, supporting Hotel Dusk does nothing but good for the industry. If you bought Red Steel and don't buy this game, consider yourself an enemy of the state.

traveler

Not Wario
I've been watching ALL the DS adventures closely and have been waiting for one to succeed. This one looks like it might be the one. Guess I'll be there day one.

If enough people buy this game (and others of it's ilk), it may convince Lucas Arts that porting Loom to the DS is an outstanding, nay - mandatory idea - theres probally a million to one chance of success, but it's a chance worth taking. Buy.

Brak

JANUARY 22ND?!!? I had been preparing to wait like another 2 months, awesome news. DS potentially taking another step to being my fave system EVAH!

Crap, I keep forgetting that this is coming out really soon. Darn you Yggdra Union, I knew spending money on you would be a mistake.

Macht

I've been waiting for this game since it was first announced. I'll be grabbing it as soon as it hits the local stores.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Mr Toast said:
So this game is designed to be played whilst holding the DS sideways (as with brain training)?
Yeah but by the looks of it Prof. Layton might have more in common with Brain Age than this game does.

Ashodin

sp0rsk said:
Indeed, supporting Hotel Dusk does nothing but good for the industry. If you bought Red Steel and don't buy this game, consider yourself an enemy of the state.
I was already on the hype train when the shit was back in the 1800s

Anamoly

I am really digging what i see so far. Gives me an old school japanese graphic novel detective game vibe in the vain of snatcher and the famicom detecitve club series. If it ends up being even almost as good as those games i'm all over it. Also, for anyone interested in this game check out famicom detective club 2 for the sfc. It was never released in the states but an english translated rom is available if you look.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
whats the retail price for this game in america?

$35? thats what vg+ has it for, but I'm starting to wonder if they overcharge.

ant1532

Banned
How well did Trace Memory sell? I assume an ok amount since this is coming out here. Hopefully Nintendo trys and advertise this and try to pull the mature thing, this needs to sell well so we'll see more like it.

Flo_Evans

I want to like games like this, I really do but I just can't get into them anymore. The click around the screen searching for random hotspots and multiple choice text gameplay is just way to dated. I think they should just forgo the 'gameplay' entirely and make this a graphic novel like the MGS one on PSP.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ant1532 said:
How well did Trace Memory sell? I assume an ok amount this is coming out here. Hopefully Nintendo trys and advertise this and try to pull the mature thing, this needs to sell well so we'll see more like it.
Trace Memory sold absolutely horribly.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Anamoly said:
I am really digging what i see so far. Gives me an old school japanese graphic novel detective game vibe in the vain of snatcher and the famicom detecitve club series. If it ends up being even almost as good as those games i'm all over it. Also, for anyone interested in this game check out famicom detective club 2 for the sfc. It was never released in the states but an english translated rom is available if you look.

I actually recently did a review of famicom detective club 2 on www.hdrlying.com. Fantastic game. I'm hoping well done dialogue and a creepy store follow suit in Hotel Dusk.

manxor

I'm buyin... I really like Adventure games, and Survival Horror games, and thought Trace Memory was o.k.... So I'm IN!

Anamoly

TheTrin said:
I actually recently did a review of famicom detective club 2 on www.hdrlying.com. Fantastic game. I'm hoping well done dialogue and a creepy store follow suit in Hotel Dusk.

It really is a gem. Though i never played a legit copy of the game, the translation for the rom was quite well done. From reading your review i can tell that many of the elements that stood out for me when playing the game were the same in your play through of the original as well. Its good to hear that a lot of the atmosphere wasn't lost after the translation.

No.1

Choo-Fricken-Choo

I'm really looking forward to this game. I'm still unsure if I'll purchase it on day one purely because Trace Memory left a bad taste in my mouth, but most opinions have been great so far.

mutsu

Friend is going to Japan, and I am asking him to get it. Hopefully it will be worth all the effort!

What are the + points of those reviews?

AniHawk

I wasn't planning on getting this. I'll wait for impressions from fellow GAFfers before I take the plunge.

The graphics look pretty bad. I can understand N64 looking stuff, but black and white? pass.

Jenga

Banned
mutsu said:
Friend is going to Japan, and I am asking him to get it. Hopefully it will be worth all the effort!

There's only a three day difference in release date between U.S. and Japan.

sprsk

mutsu said:

The American version comes out first.

the skeptics from the 1up yours cast said their reviewers have been raving about this game since the holidays (after playing through it), so I'm expecting good things

Top Bottom