• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV character through animations

Slater

Banned
Lost in the sea of criticism FFXV rightfully gets for the way it tells its story and how much it fails some of its characters is the absurdly detailed, meticulous and I might even say brilliant character animations. In a game filled with narrative problems these animations do a abnormal amount of work in adding little bits of depth and charm to some of the characters and there relationships with each other.

It can frankly get a little absurd just look at Noctis picking up Ignis' glasses mid battle
tumblr_oizumdfHW61sd29ego2_540.gif

Or how much personality Aranea shows just from animations interacting with Noctis:
tumblr_oho7kcCT5P1v6aj9do1_540.gif
tumblr_okm7wkahMD1v6aj9do2_400.gif
tumblr_okm7wkahMD1v6aj9do1_400.gif
tumblr_opptrqpJ6R1v6aj9do3_400.gif
tumblr_opptrqpJ6R1v6aj9do4_400.gif

Plus some good ole goofy shit
tumblr_ojcj04T4t81sapj62o1_400.gif
tumblr_ojcj04T4t81sapj62o2_400.gif

All the way down to sadder but more story relevant stuff
Post Chapter 9 spoilers: Chapter 10 spoilers: http://thechocobros.tumblr.com/post/159303069009

There's a lot more to, when you use a gun, Ignis will stand by Noct ready to hand him more bullets when he runs out, forgoing his own attacks. Noctis will pat Iris' head if she heals him causing her to get embarrassed because of her crush, in Chapter 14
Gladio will sometimes run over and stand protectively in front of Ignis.

The rabbit hole of these animations run's way deeper then just posted here, but the point I was trying to say is that in game swamped with story problems and underutilized characters the character animations are actually among the best you can find in, well, ever, in any game frankly. And by themselves do a lot of work in adding touches and filling out the characters and there relationships to each other.

Ferr986

Yeah the animations in this game are fantastic, not only very varied but also really well done.

I love this one of Aranea

aQx6bpz.gif

Asd202

Yeah the animation in this game are top notch. Also Sushi already playing the PC version with the Volta GPU :p.

Rellik

I'm playing it right now for the first time and I'm constantly impressed with the animations.

Good thread.

Wanted to make a similar thread except on fighting animations. The amount of fighting animations Noctis has and how well they are done is absurd.

FFXV is a new benchmark for ARPG animations.

Mediking

Yeah the animations in this game are fantastic, not only very varied but also really well done.

I love this one of Aranea

aQx6bpz.gif

I remember seeing Sunhi posts gifs of FFXV as I was playing it near launch. I would see his gifs on GAF and be like... "Uhhhh.... FFXV is nowhere near as crisp as this gif" Lol

But yeah. FFXV character animations are pretty cool.

God daaaaaamn, i put a lot of time into this game and still didn't notice some of that.

This is part of why SE is still special to me despite all their missteps. FFXV is riddled with issues but there's​ still a lot of talent, which is why you can occasionally see these glimmers of brilliance in the game through all the marks of the troubled development. This is like Naughty Dog attention to detail.

I really can't wait to see what's in store for FF7R, which might be reusing animations from this game, and KH3, since KH2 still has impressive combat animations over a decade after release.

Parfait

I can't really think of many games with better animation, outside of probably NiER? XV still tops it because of the reasons shown in Op, how the characters interact with each other is a big thing and goes SO far in expressing them as a character.

Yeah, the animations are incredibly satisfying. It's seriously too bad they put so much care into everything but the story makes the entry a sub-par entry in a franchise I love dearly.

Twookie

Here's a neat little animation for a weapon, and the animation only happens with this weapon. A very nice touch IMO.

is a little bit spoilerish

Luna's Trident, Trident of the Oracle. When Noctis summons the weapon he will look at it with sadness before desummoning it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg5ya70_kPo - the three first seconds

The frog animation just reminded me how much your party can be dicks when you get turned into a frog or petrified.

There's one side dungeon that takes forever and is repetitive and everyone's stupid "Hoppy to see you" remarks just made it worse lol

In fairness, the picture came from the OP's set of pics that was posted in the first post. I just like to think of all the random ways he comes up with new recipes on the fly.

I'm currently on a phone so I block the gifs, I jist clicked on this one you posted. I'm impresses that I never noticed this.

I've always like the way the AI moves if you reposition Noctis kinda far in a fight. They don't just run over. They specifically surround Noctis. A lot of neat stuff in there.

I do think I missed a lot of the special animations for the temp party members like Aranea though. Kinda wish there was a way to more consistently work with them after they exit.

PulseONE

Why does look so much better than my version of final fantasy xv

Does the pro really make that big a difference?

Nah thats some Sunhi magic going on there

I'm not sure what he does but he manages to make any game somehow look even better

xviper

now i want to play FFXV again, if only they removed the car and made the game more focus on adventuring like Zelda:BOTW, it would have been much better even with the awful and repetitive side quests

I still remember seeing Noctis lean on a barrel rolling past as he stumbled to get up on the Platinum demo. I really need to finish the extra content in this game sometime. I had a blast with it despite the flaws.

now i want to play FFXV again, if only they removed the car and made the game more focus on adventuring like Zelda:BOTW, it would have been much better even with the awful and repetitive side quests

Side quests are awful yes, but nah let Zelda be its own thing.

Philippo

I swear i never even noticed any of these in my entire playthrough. Beyond impressive stuff.

Sure, the game was a mixed-bag, but you really can't say that love and care weren't poured into this title.

Hope this attention to detail will continue into FFXVI and whatever Tabata will work on next.

Top Bottom