• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV character through animations

Inviusx

XV is my first final fantasy game and I love it. I never play JRPGs so I don't really have any previous experience to compare it too which probably helps.

The production is absolutely insane in this game, especially the way they animate muscle on the bigger enemies.

Slater

Banned
tumblr_inline_op02vwuoey1s66ea4_540.gif

Koozek

What are you waiting for? O: Horizon Zero Dawn is an awesome game. After FFXV disappointed me in so many ways, it was Horizon that unexpectedly gave me all that and more. It has an epic story that is really well told, with great characters, especially Aloy. It has a vast and beautiful open world with so many different types of regions, tribes and towns and the combat against the mechanical beasts is on point, an absolute blast and it never gets old. Last but not least the sidequests aren't mere monster hunts or fetch quests, but actual side stories, that flesh out the game's world and lore. They are not as great as in the Witcher 3, but they are so, so much better than in FFXV. You should really give it a try.
I know, I know, just haven't had the time and money, and I think if I'll have, I would play Persona 5 first. Haven't even played Zelda yet either, which is the first time in my life that I didn't get a new Zelda on launch. This time I'm really not willing to cash out 400€ just for one game, especially so soon after having gotten a Pro for FFXV. Maybe I'll borrow my buddy's Switch someday.

Ironically, I've been playing FFXV again a bit every other day or so since last week, which I wouldn't have expected since I was feeling pretty down on it recently and assumed I wouldn't enjoy playing it again at all especially now after Automata's buttersmooth bliss of combat (will be my GOTY btw, pretty sure), but for a strange reason I suddenly felt the urge to do the remaining secret dungeons and also farm AP to unlock every node (~10k left, which will probably take 8 hours of repeated whistle-summoning and warp-striking monsters 😂). Don't ask me why, I usually absolutely don't care for grindy shit like this, lol. At least the warping feels satisfying, which is one of the few good things about the combat.

I know, I know, just haven't had the time and money, and I think if I'll have, I would play Persona 5 first. Haven't even played Zelda yet either, which is the first time in my life that I didn't get a new Zelda on launch. This time I'm really not willing to cash out 400€ just for one game, especially so soon after having gotten a Pro for FFXV. Maybe I'll borrow my buddy's Switch someday.

Ironically, I've been playing FFXV again a bit every other day or so since last week, which I wouldn't have expected since I was feeling pretty down on it recently and assumed I wouldn't enjoy playing it again at all especially now after Automata's buttersmooth bliss of combat (will be my GOTY btw, pretty sure), but for a strange reason I suddenly felt the urge to do the remaining secret dungeons and also farm AP to unlock every node (~10k left, which will probably take 8 hours of repeated whistle-summoning and warp-striking monsters 😂). Don't ask me why, I usually absolutely don't care for grindy shit like this, lol. At least the warping feels satisfying, which is one of the few good things about the combat.

Right there with you on Nier:A (easily my GOTY so far, P5 not coming close half way through).

Also, on the persistence of my willingness to keep poking around in FF XV, even though I was disappointed by story execution.

Ironically, I've been playing FFXV again a bit every other day or so since last week, which I wouldn't have expected since I was feeling pretty down on it recently and assumed I wouldn't enjoy playing it again at all especially now after Automata's buttersmooth bliss of combat (will be my GOTY btw, pretty sure), but for a strange reason I suddenly felt the urge to do the remaining secret dungeons and also farm AP to unlock every node (~10k left, which will probably take 8 hours of repeated whistle-summoning and warp-striking monsters ��). Don't ask me why, I usually absolutely don't care for grindy shit like this, lol. At least the warping feels satisfying, which is one of the few good things about the combat.

I just want to play the Ignis story dlc so I can move on.

And wait for Nomura to drop something.

LordKasual

Banned
My question is why can Sunhi make them look so good while Square and even GG cant. What's he doing that they cant do programmatically?

I played both Horizon and FFVX on the pro and his OG PS4 gifs looked better than what i was playing on my 4.2tflop console. why cant the devs use that extra horsepower to make the games look as good as sunhi?

I think Sunhi's biggest talent is his shot composition and lighting. he needs to be hired by one of these studios as a cinematographer or something. at the very least he can help them get the color tone right. the extra AA and smoothing of the framerate might not be possible on the OG PS4 but this is the kind of shit they should be focusing on for Pro upgrades. Fuck 4k.

Cerny should hire him as the director of photography to oversee baked in support for modes that make the game look and run like they do in his gifs. Put it on the OS level like boost mode and call it Sunhi mode.

I am dead serious.

not how system resources work

he games have to render all this stuff in real-time, while also being a videogame.

Sunhi takes the already rendered footage and then pumps more processes into it to make it look better.

Aren't there even some attack animations from 15 in the battle footage?

The entire FF7R trailer looked like it was probably built off of XV's framework

TLiIxpf.gif

Looks so good. They really made Noctis feel like 2006 CGI Noctis.

This is really the most impressive aspect of FFXV to me. This game made me feel as though there is no CG sequence that Square has created that could not be re-created, in-engine, and through real-time gameplay. This has never actually happened before. XV is the first time Square has ever actually come close to "we want the action to feel like Advent Children".

They just need to polish up the targeting/hitboxes on large enemies and fix the Camera.

Noctis was supposed to feel as though he was an actual human with weight to him, even through all the crazy shit he was doing. But if they designed the combat to be closer to Kingdom Hearts / Final Fantasy 7??? Bruh.

Animations are indeed top notch.. but then you do a link attack.

Not to mention the framerate dips in hectic fights. The game is jank at times.

LordKasual

Banned
Animations are indeed top notch.. but then you do a link attack.

Not to mention the framerate dips in hectic fights. The game is jank at times.

I can't really recall moments where the framerate ever dipped on me in this game, surprisingly.

The only 2 moments were Leviathan on base PS4 and that one room in that dungeon with all those fucking lighting bombs

edit:

Oh and that ambush invasion on base ps4 as well. too much stuff going on :(

OniBaka

Think I should finish off the game, think I was on chapter 6 before stopping due to waiting on patches for perfect experience.

jett

D-Member
Yeah, the animations in FFXV are amazing and probably the best next to U4. Though, I haven't played Horizon yet, which I assume is the only other contender, no?

Haha, well, GG liked his work so much they invited him over recently:
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/g12y8T8.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/XOrhOeB.jpg[/IMG]

Well that's pretty awesome. I assume Sunhi lives in the Netherlands and wasn't flown over from some other country? :p

I can't really recall moments where the framerate ever dipped on me in this game, surprisingly.

The only 2 moments were Leviathan on base PS4 and that one room in that dungeon with all those fucking lighting bombs

edit:

Oh and that ambush invasion on base ps4 as well. too much stuff going on :(

Most of them are occurring in battles so it's less noticeable because we're busy doing stuff and all that camera work.

Geg

Yeah it's the same for me, I've been replaying FFXV the last two weeks and at first I was wary about coming back to it after finishing Nier Automata, but I do still enjoy it.

Mailbox

Those mobs are found south of the Disc I believe. Not sure how they managed to keep an Iron Giant out that long in the daytime though.

red giants take a while to die even in sunlight.
If it were a regular iron giant, yeah it'd already be dead :p

I loved this game so much. The animations were simply fantastic, so many little one-off things that you might never see but they still took the time to put in.

I swear i never even noticed any of these in my entire playthrough. Beyond impressive stuff.

The game is filled with a lot of fun unique animations that are easy to miss. My favorite is equipping Prompto with the Bioblaster... the animation he does when he uses it is hilarious.

Another fun animation that I've only seen once is Ignis and Prompto arguing in the car.

Falk

that puzzling face
I really hate that Sunhi's gifs aren't representative of in-game visual fidelity. It gives lots of people a false impression, when I think ideally gifs showcasing visual splendor should be true to the game, and not works of art and post-processing.

The animations are pretty good in this game, though. I mean, when they aren't getting in the way of you actually controlling Noctis.

You don't think the cropped aspect ratio are hints enough?

Those mobs are found south of the Disc I believe. Not sure how they managed to keep an Iron Giant out that long in the daytime though.

I mean, I don't remember her being out in the daytime with you like that, unless I missed something. Granted, I was powering though the game pretty quickly.

You don't think the cropped aspect ratio are hints enough?

Judging by some of the responses in this thread, absolutely not.

I also honestly question the point of posting gifs like that when the message behind them is usually "Look how gorgeous this game looks" and then it doesn't look like that. The way they're used, they're often best-case not making any point or worst-case misleading people who don't know Sunhi.

Inviusx

Judging by some of the responses in this thread, absolutely not.

I also honestly question the point of posting gifs like that when the message behind them is usually "Look how gorgeous this game looks" and then it doesn't look like that. The way they're used, they're often best-case not making any point or worst-case misleading people who don't know Sunhi.

In FFXV's case it really does highlight the quality of the animations.

No, it looks different because post processing on the gif.

Vanilla and Pro versions looks REALLY close (played both).

What kind of TV are you playing the Pro version on? The color goes through the roof with HDR and the right settings on a Samsung KS8000. Really decadent.

cripterion

In FFXV's case it really does highlight the quality of the animations.

Yeah some animations are really well done in the game but I'll agree with him in saying that this is the perfect case of the game looking much better in the gifs than when played.

poodaddy

Yeah animation is something the game really excels at. I have issues with the narrative but I can't fault the animation and characterization.

Too bad the camera barely lets you see it.

Never has a game left me saying "that would have been cool if I could have seen it better" more than this one.

Maybe a more dynamic camera that does a better job of framing the awesome animation. Not to mention not getting stuck or placed in awkward positions.

It feels like such a disservice to all the work the put in.

Luigiv

dutch angle - check

film aspect ratio - check

sunhilegend-level post/color correction (and simulated motion blur? can't really tell at that size) - triple check

downscaled to the size of a postage stamp - check x infinity

Ferr986

I mean, I don't remember her being out in the daytime with you like that, unless I missed something. Granted, I was powering though the game pretty quickly.

You could glitch her and make her a permanent party member. It was patched though

What kind of TV are you playing the Pro version on? The color goes through the roof with HDR and the right settings on a Samsung KS8000. Really decadent.

Yeah my TV has no HDR. But HDR is available on base PS4 too.

FFXV did a lot of things right, and some wrong, but it does excel in some areas where other JRPGS haven't this year which I think deserves credit (mostly production and detail kii) . I guess I'm one of those weird ones who likes the battle system a lot too.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
g12y8T8.jpg

Wow this looks like a proper welcome. they all actually look like big fans of his. this is how gaf would honor sunhi lol.

GG are good people.

Now hire him you fools.

Ushay

Blimey, really is a pretty game. This is just sat in my library waiting to be played on Xbox One X. Guess I made the right call, really excited as its the first FF I've played since FF10.

imo this game looks better than Witcher 3 (yes, even maxed out on PC)

Everything just all comes together better even if the textures aren't super detailed 4k nonsense

Top Bottom