• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

:) = >:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Who else loathes the :) emoticon?

Have you ever seen a post that goes like: "This is just the beginning :)" or something equally as smarmy? Am I alone in hating this awful and sort of creepy emoticon? Does it make you think that the person that is using it is slightly retarded and or stalkery? Or maybe they just don't speak English very well?

:D I don't mind too much, although most of the time it's just as smarmy.

Barnolde

Banned
Is it creepy? A simple test :)

I am peeking through your bedroom window at night :)
I watch you pee :)
I ate a dog once :)
demi demi lol :)

It's definitely creepy.

embarrassedpg3.gif

sprsk

The way the eyes are spaced kind of make it look a little crazy.

edit: No, its not even the picture that bothers me, who the **** smiles like a retard after saying something? If someone did that in real life, wouldn't you want to punch them in the face?</internet tough guy>

i hate it when your discussing / arguing something with someone and they respond to your statement and at the end they say something wank and finish it off with :) .

as if that's supposed to make me feel better you fishhead.

sky

Depends on context, but I generally don't find it creepy. If you use it in earnest, I think that comes across.

pimpxf7.gif

castle007

Banned
No, sp0rsk, it is not creepy.

Yes, you did get your super powers back, but that doesn't mean you can take away our freedom!!!!

VIVA LA RESISTANCE :)

:(

tnw

Banned
sp0rsk said:
The way the eyes are spaced kind of make it look a little crazy.

edit: No, its not even the picture that bothers me, who the **** smiles like a retard after saying something? If someone did that in real life, wouldn't you want to punch them in the face?</internet tough guy>

God, don't you live in Japan, the LAND of emoticons? You must want to punch a lot of Japanese people in the face.

I used to hate emoticons too, but I've gotten used to them, and think they're useful

littering your post with acronymns is far worse

KOTOR FTW LOL

C4Lukins

The smile one does not bother me, but the :lol does. Maybe it is just the people who use it who tend to be irritating.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
C4Lukins said:
The smile one does not bother me, but the :lol does. Maybe it is just the people who use it who tend to be irritating.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
CowGirl said:
Is it better or worse than these?

gladtomeetya.gif

indifferent.gif

Indifferent2.gif

angry.gif
Lord, those are the most annoying smilies I see on this board. Though that might have to do more with the text associated with them than the smilies themselves...

jenov4

BlueTsunami said:
GAF needs to add

That

and

This

It will only add a loving feeling
kiss.gif

and yeah the ":)" is usually used in a context where its just smarmy. The ":D" emoticon is actually much more friendly.

I agree. Those are the best of these new ones I've seen!

kiss.gif
kiss.gif
kiss.gif

Andy787

Banned
I don't mind :) so much as :D.

God I hate that ":D" guy. So damned smarmy.

It doesn't help that it is used almost exclusively for fanboy sales-age bullshit.

:D :D :D :D :D

sprsk

tnw said:
God, don't you live in Japan, the LAND of emoticons? You must want to punch a lot of Japanese people in the face.

I used to hate emoticons too, but I've gotten used to them, and think they're useful

littering your post with acronymns is far worse

KOTOR FTW LOL

I like emoticons that mimic actions like laughing or whatever. The smile emoticon is just, well, people don't just smile at other people, it's just weird, and creepy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom