• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-_____________- Damn... english teacher...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was given a short story assignment around a week ago with no details except that it needs to be atleast 1.5 pages long. After I had already written a concept and a sort of... storyboard (once this is done, it can't be changed), she tells us that 3 elements of the story need to be grounded in reality, and that it needs to teach a lesson (wtf?). Unfortunately, my story is about krakens kidnapping and eating people. Now I need to shoehorn some trivial facts into my story ... I've already decided to use rumored sightings of sea monsters in my story somehow (not that anyone actually saw a "sea monster", but the claims are real... >_>) and use an actual shorefront town as a location. What else could I do?

Make use of rumors to build the anxiety in the town to a fever pitch which leads to various acts of insane cruelty and violence [in an effort to appease the "creature"]. In the end, it was nothing but a myth and those people did all kinds of crazy stuff for nothing.

There you go.

Totz

Make the krakkens the heroes of the story, with a father krakken teaching his son that kidnapping and eating people is a bad thing, because when his other son did that, he
and Aeris
died.

She'll love it.

Umino

Because certain people need something to talk about.
1.5 pages? How old are you? Just write a new story that involves the White house, conspiracies and vampires.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
We were hardly ever given a "write what you want" story assignment in English at school, which sucked as that was actually semi-interesting.

We were one time though, when we were like 13, and every single one of us wrote about people dying in horrible ways. Everyone. We didn't plan it, I had no idea what anyone else had written, but the teacher went through them after they'd been marked and called us the most disturbing class he'd ever taught.

...maybe that's why we never got to write whatever we wanted.

Mama Smurf said:
We were one time though, when we were like 13, and every single one of us wrote about people dying in horrible ways. Everyone. We didn't plan it, I had no idea what anyone else had written, but the teacher went through them after they'd been marked and called us the most disturbing class he'd ever taught.

The same thing happened at my school! We all wrote short stories [as groups] and most of them ended up as gruesome horror stories. :lol

Brannon

1.5 pages? Damn, when I was in high school it took everything in my power to keep a story that short. With what you offer I could easily whip one up involving facts about the eternal battle of sperm whales vs giant squids (krakens), the recent discoveries of that giant squid carcass and throw in mermaids (delusional sailors of yore looking at sea lions or manatees at a distance). I'm totally tooting my own horn btw.

Brannon

Too late for that. It's due tomorrow.

1.5 pages is too late!?!?

screaming.gif

Incidentally, all of your posts in this thread combined and double spaced comes to more than a half a page. How long did it take you to write those?

emomoonbase

I'm free 2night after my LARPing guild meets.
Krakens are based in reality. People are based in reality. Kidnapping is based in reality. The lesson is stay the fuk away from krakens or they kidnap you. Honestly I don't see your problem here.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Mama Smurf said:
We were hardly ever given a "write what you want" story assignment in English at school, which sucked as that was actually semi-interesting.

...maybe that's why we never got to write whatever we wanted.
Seriously. Most of stories in elementary and middle school involved death.

- first person account of being stoned to do death (based on The Lottery)

- mountain lion mauling

- waking up and finding a scorpion on your chest

malek4980

Rosa Parks hater

"One and a half page story? Shit I ain't no Tennessee Whisky!"

condoleeza%20rice.jpg

"Don't you mean Tennessee Williams?"

BushSmirk.jpg

"Umm... no, he wrote plays. haha."

come on guys lets really write this story for him. I'll start. the moral will be about procrastination and laziness. One of the reality elements will be highschool teachers - hot english ones to be exact - havening sex with students. it will have krakkens. The next two people to post, suggest a reality element....

Lobster

Banned
The time this thread has wasted of yours..I could've wrote 2 pages at least.

Edit:Didn't realise its been over an hour...make that 4 at least.

How about you write a story about a kid who procrastinated for hours complaining to people on a off topic section of a video game forum instead of writing his 1.5 page paper.

bigmakstudios said:
I was given a short story assignment around a week ago with no details except that it needs to be atleast 1.5 pages long. After I had already written a concept and a sort of... storyboard (once this is done, it can't be changed), she tells us that 3 elements of the story need to be grounded in reality, and that it needs to teach a lesson (wtf?). Unfortunately, my story is about krakens kidnapping and eating people. Now I need to shoehorn some trivial facts into my story ... I've already decided to use rumored sightings of sea monsters in my story somehow (not that anyone actually saw a "sea monster", but the claims are real... >_>) and use an actual shorefront town as a location. What else could I do?

You're whining over a 1.5 page paper? What grade is this:lol

Mama Smurf

Just make sure the last line is, "Well that sure taught thems there krakens a lesson" and work backwards.

Obviously I haven't been staring at this page since I started it. I'm writing the story already. It's only the first draft... and it really doesn't matter much, since it's only going to be used for "peer editing" anyway. As long as I actually have a first draft, my grade won't be dragged down if it sucks, IIRC...

You're whining over a 1.5 page paper? What grade is this :lol

10th grade R-track. I was in honors earlier this year, but I transferred because the teacher was an old hag, and I wasn't getting any more credit than I do in R-track.

Lobster

Banned
bigmakstudios said:
10th grade R-track. I was in honors earlier this year, but I transferred because the teacher was an old hag, and I wasn't getting any more credit than I do in R-track.

10th grade? I WANT IN ON YOUR SCHOOL!

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Ahhh high school days. You should go smoke a bong behind the sports equipment building and then go jump on the high jump mats.

bigmakstudios said:

10th grade WTF?

You got 100 addition problems to do tonight too?

Mama Smurf

Here are a couple of lines I want you to use if you're going for top marks:

"You have no idea what I'm capable of"

and

"How do I know I can trust you?"

"You don't"

metdroid said:

Ok we have two reality elements. we need one more people!

fallengorn said:
can the krakens ghost ride da whip?

sure if I knew what the hell it ment. you write that part.

Also Just thought of the first line for the story based on metroids idea....

And at that very moment I came like a krakken.

"I told you, you have no idea what I'm capable of"

"How do I know I can trust you?"

"You don't"

I knew we could trust eachother; it just wouldn't have been as cool if thats what I had said. We both knew it was wrong but we didn't care. She needed me. Being a teacher didn't allowed her time to go out and meet men, or so she said. I could trust her. And me? well I needed the marks. If only I hadn't procrastinated all year. If only I could have made it past the 99th algebra question. The "if only's raced though my mind as we dressed".

"When can I see you again?"

"Tommorow. Here. at the first bell, babe" I gave her a wink and left.

Its an action story; your teacher will be hooked.

updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom