• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ms. Pac-Man and the incestual allegations

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Was talking with a GAFfer who would rather be left out of this topic and I got to thinking -

The game isn't Mrs. Pac-Man. It's Ms. Pac-Man. I'd never thought about it until now, but this implies that her surname was ALREADY Pac-Man.

...and yet her and Pac-Man hook up and have a bunch of kids. I put forth the theory that maybe the game takes place in Alabama and that maybe they're cousins, or that maybe it's just a coincidence, like two unrelated Smiths or Davis' marrying.

Another possibility is that the game takes place post-apocalypse and they're the only two left, so they have no choice but to make-it with family, to keep the race going. This would also explain constantly being chased by ghosts.

One thing's for sure - I will never be able to watch those cute "chase" cutscenes the same way again. Dammit Pac, she's family. Off limits!

Haunted

GDJustin said:
Was talking with a GAFfer who would rather be left out of this topic and I got to thinking -

The game isn't Mrs. Pac-Man. It's Ms. Pac-Man. I'd never thought about it until now, but this implies that her surname was ALREADY Pac-Man.

...and yet her and Pac-Man hook up and have a bunch of kids. I put forth the theory that maybe the game takes place in Alabama and that maybe they're cousins, or that maybe it's just a coincidence, like two unrelated Smiths or Davis' marrying.

Another possibility is that the game takes place post-apocalypse and they're the only two left, so they have no choice but to make-it with family, to keep the race going. This would also explain constantly being chased by ghosts.

One thing's for sure - I will never be able to watch those cute "chase" cutscenes the same way again. Dammit Pac, she's family. Off limits!
You know you have too much free time when...

in before 'you reply to this thread' :p

GDJustin

borghe said:
Ms. doesn't denote single status. It denotes ambiguity. Miss denotes single.

Touche. In fact, most of the woman I know that go to "Ms." have been divorced but don't want to go to the trouble of changing their name back. So they keep their married name, but use Ms.

Hmmm... the plot thickens.

Or maybe it doesn't.

Although Ms. is ambiguous, Mr and Mrs Pac-Man Pinball, which post-dates Ms Pac-Man, would imply that she's single at the time Ms Pac-Man debuts.

:O

Then again...

Pac-Man might be as common as "Smith" where they are from. I know two Smiths who got married.

Additionally, there's no clear indication that they are having sex, married or not. Baby is delivered via stork, after all.

GDJustin

Way to ruin my topic with you and your.... English.

Edit: and Ignatz saves the day.

arne

Tell you what. Ms Pac-Man is still single actually.

I got to rundown of those two. They're "dating" but she's still single.

GDJustin

arne said:
Tell you what. Ms Pac-Man is still single actually.

I got to rundown of those two. They're "dating" but she's still single.

I feel bad for all the kids then. They need a functioning family unit! Everyone knows this.

Bluecondor

GDJustin said:

Actually - you have to remember the context of when the game was released.

At the time (1980s), the salutation Ms. was adopted by many single women (particularly older single women) as a more dignified sounding alternative to "Miss." This was a common theme that was discussed at the time, which makes sense, as single, career women in the workplace were becoming more and more common in the 1980s.

arne said:
If you like older women... yeah I guess.

Hey, she's only 25, don't put her out to pasture yet.

Ignatz Mouse said:
Well, I heard she swallows....

She seems insatiable...and, she never gains weight, and hasn't aged a day. Just keep her away from the power-pill eh? Wouldn't want that turning blue, if you know what I'm sayin'.

Koomaster

I'm willing to go with the common name theory. If you ever watched the Pac-Man cartoon, everyone in Pac-Ville had the "Pac" prefix to their names or included somewhere in their names.

Maybe in this particular society 'Pac' is as common as the letter 'e' in appearing in words/names. And it could also be sort of a language tick, sort of like the smurfs where they use their species name a lot as nouns/verbs/names/etc.

Top Bottom