• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baroque remake on PS2 (disgusting!)

duckroll

brq01.jpg

brq02.jpg

Developer: Sting
Platform: PS2
Release Date: 2007
Official Site: http://www.sting.co.jp/baroque

brq03.jpg
brq04.jpg

brq06.jpg

brq07.jpg

brq10.jpg

brq11.jpg

brq13.jpg

brq15.jpg

More ugliness here: http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20070112/brq.htm

Troidal

A niche game, but considered a classic in my book. Excellent art and music.
I plan on ripping the PS version to my PSP.

But this next-gen version totally utterly ****ing sucks! Ugly art, ugly 3D graphics...man take that shit away!

EDIT: And they changed it from first-person view to third-person? Way to go...now its even more generic trash. I'm a fan of the game but no way in hell I am buying this :/

Ravidrath

...Wow.

I found the Saturn version vaguely indecipherable, but I loved the art, atmosphere and soundtrack and had always hoped for a remake on a modern system, but this looks like blurry, low-poly shit.

Oh well, maybe there will be another remake on PlayStation 5 or whatever the popular late-generation system is 15 years from now. See you then.

Acosta

Anyone could tell me more about the awesomeness of the original Baroque or tell me some place I can inform myself? Thanks.

Troidal

Gaijin To Ronin said:
Anyone could tell me more about the awesomeness of the original Baroque or tell me some place I can inform myself? Thanks.

Well the game is basically 3D first-person dungeon crawler meets Rogue/Diablo RPG.

What's unique about it has to do more with the setting, art direction and the music. The story has some twists too...without spoiling it, the more you play (and
***die***
), you basically start to unravel the truth behind the events in the game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Borys said:
Looks like a PSX game with filtering. The anime art is HOT though.
...and much higher poly models, with higher resolution textures, new effects, a higher resolution, etc. :p

Come on, Borys, it's no PC game...but it's a far cry from a PSX title.

Fady K

duckroll said:
Damn, Watch Impress took down all the really ugly pics..... leaving only.... 3! :lol

This actually gives me some hope that theyre really fixing up the graphics! They better be.

FoxSpirit

Well.... we are talking about Sting, the makers of Riviera and Yggdra Union. And at least on the GBA, they really showed how it's done graphically.

Bebpo

Banned
Hmmm...the graphics in those two pics look fine for PS2. Art design on that enemy is pretty cool and the main character looks interesting.

I don't see the "disgusting"ly bad graphics here...

ethelred

Bebpo said:
Hmmm...the graphics in those two pics look fine for PS2. Art design on that enemy is pretty cool and the main character looks interesting.

I don't see the "disgusting"ly bad graphics here...

I agree with you, actually.

For a low-budget, niche developer, I think it looks fine. Sting's even more niche than Atlus, and frankly I don't think this is that far below most of Atlus's PS2 games on visual quality. Yeah, the character models aren't great, but I still think the overall artistic approach is nice, and the environments are good.

Borys

Banned
dark10x said:
...and much higher poly models, with higher resolution textures, new effects, a higher resolution, etc. :p

Come on, Borys, it's no PC game...but it's a far cry from a PSX title.

I am no PS2 hater, believe me. It just reminds me of Silent Hill 1 graphics filtered and of course in higher resolution.

Reminds me, that's all, that's how the first shot looks like with the fog and nothing around.

jarrod

Banned
DarknessTear said:
Now all we need is Quintet to start making games again. (unrelated to the statement above ;o)
What's left of Quintet went on to become Shade, who's still making games today. They just made Mahjong Takai Wii actually.

Ravidrath

Wow, I wondered how something from Baroque could remind you of P3, but now I see how.

...And it doesn't fit what I remember of the game at all. As shitty and Premier-tacular as the original game's opening was, it was far more appropriate than that, and also had much better music.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Someone get the Super Paper Mario pic in here quick!

I dunno, it's starting to look decent to me now. The main problem is how the camera works and how the main char doesn't really move too smoothly. You'd think people would learn how to make a decent ARPG by now but I guess not... huh.

Durante

I never heard of the original game, so I didn't click this thread until now - especially as apparently it's a "disgusting!" remake. But after watching all the videos I'm actually interested. What's the chance that this will be localized? Slim to non-existent I presume?

Top Bottom