• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supporting abusive work environments - Why I wont be buying Red Dead 2

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
This probably wont end well, but here we go.

I think Red Dead 2 will be an incredible game. Unfortunately, as we have heard of other AAA work environments, the employees suffer a great deal in order to bring you quality of this degree, most of the time it is not done by choice.

If youre not familiar with Glassdoor, its a website where employees can leave feedback on studios they work at. Its a fairly reliable tool (some outliers here and there, as with most review based sites). Game Developers certainly use it before they consider their next move, I know I have.

Rockstar San Diego, where RDR 2 is being made, has some of the worst ratings Ive seen on the site:

"Not for the half-hearted devs. Your family and social life will suffer."

AAA game development culture in general favors overtime, crunch and stressful environments and R* San Diego is probably the worst. There will be a lot of mandatory overtime and not a lot of time for home or social life. I've seen several divorces, relationships fall apart and socially inclined employees get burned out. Some people just flat out resign due to the missed time at home. There also seems to be some resist...

Massive OT, zero work life balance, unreasonable demands on employees, and horrible upper management that will fire you with no warning.

Horrible bully management. Sweatshop work conditions. Endless overtime. Unkept promises. Low pay for the stature of the studio

I wished that I ran off when I heard that early on.
At the end you will only realized that it is all very true, can be even worse than you can imagine.
People lose their health, lose their hair, get fat and depressed.
Even HR admit that they have bad reputation and difficult time hiring people.
There is no appreciation about hard work and any decent respect or positive encouragement to employees.

There is no ownership. Same work will be cycled over a group of people so people learn to trash other's work to make themselves shine. It is encouraged and it uses as the way to get advanced.

Worst Place to Work in all of gaming"

Unfortunately, nothing much has changed over the years. It is very tense environment. It is astonishing the quality of games that come out of this place, mainly because 4+ years development time will do that. Management needs to stop thinking about how they appear and start truly listening to needs of the employee. Throwing out talent because you can simply find cheaper is not ethical it is sad to see passionate designers go

"Welcome to Hell!!"

Plenty more where that came from, but I think the point is well made. Some will argue that its easy to put up "fake reviews" in the site, and while that its true you can also see a pattern emerging in these reviews. They are numerous and talk about the same issues but all use a different, distinct voice. This makes them far more credible.

Bonus Edit. If you still don't want to believe Glassdoor, thats fine. Statements from other people in this very thread:

I'm a software engineer in San Diego and I've had a few friends who all echoed pretty much every complaint in those reviews while they were working there. I wouldn't just chalk it up to a disgruntled employee flooding Glassdoor with fake reviews.

As someone who works in the game industry in San Diego, I can tell you they are infamous here for their work conditions.

I work with quite a few ex-RS people and, yeah, they don't have nice things to say about working there.

To add to the pile, I also know people that have worked at Rockstar (North specifically) and these reviews are not just a few bad eggs spreading lies. That company is runs people into the ground and spits them out and they do it all on the foundation that you work for Rockstar and should be grateful that you do.

Now, hey, if you decide not to care about this, I cant blame you! Lots of people don't want to know how the sausage is made and I totally get that, no judgement here. However for me personally I have reached a point in my life where I want to at least be aware of who I am giving my dollars to and make better choices in which companies I support.

And by the way, its not like their way of doing business is justifiable. Take Two is doing incredible business for themselves and could afford to keep employees around and not do sudden layoffs on release or at any point, really.

From their 2016 earnings report:
  • 1.3 Billion in cash and short term investments
  • 700 Million digital net revenue

This is their culture, plain and simple and they are hoping you don't notice. I don't have a problem with an employee willing to give 150% of themselves to their craft, however, long term crunch (year plus!) is well documented to not work and its usually forced upon your younger hires, who still have passion and drive for this industry. I am a 10 year vet in Game Development and here in the Bay Area you mostly meet people in their mid 30's who got the hell out of AAA gaming as fast as they could or quit making games altogether because of working conditions such as this one.

As a game developer, I wont be supporting such blatant examples of abuse in a company that should be a leading example on how to treat their employees. Maybe after reading this you will still buy their game, but at least now you know the real cost.

EDIT: Because people think we were born yesterday, every page has about 3 posts like this:

Hate to break it to you, but the console you're not playing the game on was made in a bad working environment. I mean boycott whomever you want but Rockstar probably doesn't have suicide nets to catch depressed employees.

Yes, we know, no need to point it out and act like its big news. We are talking about a software company operating in the US that has no excuse to treat their employees the way they do, and it affects me personally because these are my neighbors and potential coworkers.

Beckx

Last week, when Bungie talked about the people "killing themselves" to make sure the game was ready in September, my first thought was "it's okay, I'd rather you delay it than make people do that."

but it's telling that the general assumption is that AAA work is rough and That's The Way It Has To Be.

Unfortunately many private companies (especially those without a union) act in this manner. Selfishness is always the #1 priority in many cases.

Government sector is the way to go for work environment.

Cubas

This sounds pretty bad, yeah, but I don't think it's that different in another studios. Long crunch periods are pretty much standard in current AAA dev :(

dugdug

Banned
I hate hearing stories like this, especially when the end product turns out well. We don't appreciate the sacrifices many of these devs make to give us just a few hours of entertainment.

That being said, not buying the product and supporting the devs who *did* stick it out through all of that mess would be even more of a bummer, IMO.

Makonero

Glassdoor isn't super reliable; usually the people with the most to say are going to be the ones that are the most negative.

Unfortunately, if you support AAA games at all, that means you support some bad practices. It's the price of AAA games these days.

Not to mention red dead 2 is probably another developmental nightmare like the first one was, no employee is getting out of that process without going through threw grinders

Trace

Banned
I take Glassdoor with a giant rock of salt personally. Way too easy to leave fake reviews on that site, and not many people are going on Glassdoor to give good reviews.

jacobeid

Banned
Glassdoor isn't super reliable; usually the people with the most to say are going to be the ones that are the most negative.

Unfortunately, if you support AAA games at all, that means you support some bad practices. It's the price of AAA games these days.

All of this x100.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
This sounds pretty bad, yeah, but I don't think it's that different in another studios. Long crunch periods are pretty much standard in current AAA dev :(

Let me tell you from personal experience. Theres crunch, and then theres what is in those examples. Its taking a step beyond even that.

Last week, when Bungie talked about the people "killing themselves" to make sure the game was ready in September, my first thought was "it's okay, I'd rather you delay it than make people do that."

but it's telling that the general assumption is that AAA work is rough and That's The Way It Has To Be.
Yep. This assumption is pretty common, which makes it hard to change the way it is. No one is happy with the status quo, and yet fine with it at the same time. Kind of a bummer.

Kurdel

Banned
Change won't come from consumer boycott, that will never do anything.

Change needs to come from within, and unions.

This is why I'm happy with delays. I wish more devs would consider delays when it comes to QoL for their employees.

Take your time and don't kill yourselves to make quality games. Your hard work is appreciated either way.

opricnik

Banned
This comments feels like Pre 1997 Apple Steve Jobs work placement holy shit.

also shows why their work is so great and detailed but also holy shit again

not surprised

Pastry

Banned
90% of the time the only people that post on Glassdoor are people with something negative to say about a company.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I looked up my current company on glassdoor and holy shit at the comments ..

My point being, I sincerely doubt the comments up there are a decent picture of what actually goes on. Also, I would rather quit than work under environments as bad as the comments in OP are.

Also, I'll probably buy Red Dead 2.

I work in a workhorse industry (film) and putting together a product intended for entertainment is ironically one of the most stressful, difficult, painful endeavors you can undertake.
Unfortunately, if we boycotted every game or movie that had so much rigorous work behind it, you would have nothing to play or watch. It doesn't make it okay, but this is hardly anything new.

Hell, at least to me, it would make more sense to support the game so that the countless hours spent toiling away do not go to waste. Maybe that's just me though. I completely understand your position and don't judge you for it at all.

dex3108

They are not the only one. Many companies have hard and long crunch times and development in general. But that is not only tied to gaming industry. Take any company in the world from any industry and chances are big that people work insane amount of hours there. That is simply world we are living in.

Raging Spaniard

I take Glassdoor with a giant rock of salt personally. Way too easy to leave fake reviews on that site, and not many people are going on Glassdoor to give good reviews.

I have heard from people who would know what the situation is (obviously wont name them, thats personal info) In this example, its the real deal.

This is why I'm happy with delays. I wish more devs would consider delays when it comes to QoL for their employees.

Take your time and don't kill yourselves to make quality games. Your hard work is appreciated either way.

Delay doesnt mean increase in QoL, it probably means more crunch because then you have "missed your deadlines" and there will be hell to pay

Aces&Eights

Welcome to capitalism. It's not just AAA games. Think your phone was made by someone who had tons of legroom and an ergonomic chair? Think your shirt was made by someone who is paid a decent wage and has medical insurance? The whole point, as seen by those who run companies is to maximize profits. They answer to shareholders and if they are not a publicly traded company then they want to line their pockets.

I think your stance is great. Really, the only way change will occur is if the profits stop coming in. Even then, they won't change the work environment because they had a change of heart, though. They will do it so they can start making money again.

Do you visit Glassdoor before making all your purchases? Ever since it became an employer's market, there's alot of corporations that run like this.

Change won't come from consumer boycott, that will never do anything.

Change needs to come from within, and unions.

Change could happen from a large-scale consumer boycott and it's silly to think otherwise. Change won't happen from a few people not buying the game though yeah.

Almost nobody gives good reviews of their prior employment on glassdoor. Ive heard positive things about Rockstar Toronto. I think maybe some people go into the industry thinking its like working at willy wonkas chocolate factory but with hard deadlines, lots of overtime and lots of turn over and temporary work, its a very demanding job.

Juice

As someone who owns a successful (non-gaming) software company, the extent to which game software companies have convinced themselves it is somehow a special snowflake where incessant overtime is both necessary and effective, is maddening.

It's exploitative. Full stop. When I visit a university to speak, I always ask a show of hands of who went into CS to make games, and 2/3rds of them shoot up. I then spend a few minutes explaining that if everyone wants the same job, the industry has all the leverage. You can make games, but you'll do so on shitty terms that'll chew you up and spit you out.

Or you could just make boring normal software and enter one of the most prosperous classes of non-inherited wealth in the history of humankind, guarded against almost all the macroeconomic forces threatening your cohort generation.

While boycotts would be effective if they were widespread, I'm not sure it'd be as easy (given the ratio of devs to users) as convincing 20-something dudes that gamedev jobs are a suckers game and boycotting their employment so that the market balances out and decent terms are feasible. (Also won't happen because naive 20-year-old men are a renewable resource.)

JayEH

Most things in life you enjoy are made in bad work environments but we choose to ignore it. Sucks but that's the way it works.

Nev

Banned
I'm sure your decision will impact the guaranteed +8 million copies sold and Rockstar will proceed to improve the working conditions of their employees.

Anyways one'd expect Rockstar would make good use of that insane amount of free money they're getting out of literal nothing in GTA Online. Seems they're not as cool as people think.

PS:
You'll buy it anyways.

kiyomi

90% of the time the only people that post on Glassdoor are people with something negative to say about a company.

Also, it seems like literally anyone can post a review of a company with a few clicks.

Not to take anything away from the plight of those working in horrible workhouse-like conditions at some studios, but just worth mentioning.

jack....

I'm a software engineer in San Diego and I've had a few friends who all echoed pretty much every complaint in those reviews while they were working there. I wouldn't just chalk it up to a disgruntled employee flooding Glassdoor with fake reviews.

I have heard from people who would know what the situation is (obviously wont name them, thats personal info) In this example, its the real deal.

Delay doesnt mean increase in QoL, it probably means more crunch because then you have "missed your deadlines" and there will be hell to pay

Yep. From experience I have no doubt this is true.

i work outside of the games industry in a large company that recently got bought out by another company and for the last year conditions have been getting worse and worse. there were mass layoffs followed by people leaving due to uncertainty and unsustainably heavy workload, which leads to even worse conditions for those who stay around. Unfortunately this appears to be the norm in the industry. Basically this happens in many other industries as well. Corporations can be pretty fucked up towards their employees but they're usually very shrewd and get away with treating their workers like shit while not breaking any laws.

It appears that they are able to consistently put out high quality games despite these poor working conditions. They must be doing something right.

Raging Spaniard

I'm sure your decision will impact the guaranteed +8 million copies sold and Rockstar will proceed to improve the working conditions of their employees.

Anyways one'd expect Rockstar would make good use of that insane amount of free money they're getting out of literal nothing in GTA Online. Seems they're not as cool as people think.

PS:
You'll buy it anyways.

PS: Im not

PSS: Im not calling a boycott, Im just letting you know whats up

Ding.

I know Glassdoor is not the most reliable system, but its a tool. When you have that many negative reviews that all echo the same sentiment, thats when you know something is happening there.

The way Rockstar SD works is not how it "has to."

Crunchtime is less efficient than "soft" crunch, where you apply self-discipline and actually work 40 hours a week instead of spending X amount of time browsing Facebook, Reddit, and NeoGAF all day. Working overtime increases productivity for about a week or two, but after that, it takes a nosedive, and the time off it requires to get back to standard productivity levels actually more than offsets that initial "boost."

PS:
You'll buy it anyways.

You're right. No one should ever make any sort of principled stand based on their own views because it won't matter.

What's the point of your argument? "It will sell well anyway"? Does that mean people can't still choose not to support a game that they know is being made in horrible working conditions.

PS:
You'll buy it anyways.
Thankfully we always have people like you in these threads to warn others thay they are contributing nothing, and at the end of the day are liars. Or hypocrites. Or both. I salute you and your hard work.

I think you're entitled to an opinion OP, but I'm not swayed by reviews from 2014 and prior. I expected things to be much more recent than that to form such a strong opinion. Either way, I respect your choice.

Makonero

PS: Im not

PSS: Im not calling a boycott, Im just letting you know whats up

Ding.

I know Glassdoor is not the most reliable system, but its a tool. When you have that many negative reviews that all echo the same sentiment, thats when you know something is happening there.

Why don't you get your friends to talk to Jason Schreier or some other journalist? They do anonymous stories about this stuff and that can actually move the needle more than glassdoor or a NeoGAF thread.

I actually cringed at that too. I have worked next to Infinity Ward, Respawn, and some others; and the teams all looked miserable, and I spoke to a lot of them. They would often spend the night in the office.

It sucks because I have always wanted to work in the industry, but the conditions, expectations, and volatility of the industry just don't make it a good bet for someone who is looking for stability.

Griss

That's a perfectly fair stance to take, OP, but I doubt you'll find many followers here.

I'll join you in your boycott, but
I find it easy to do so because I'm not interested in the game.

Top Bottom