• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Monters: Joker. . . Final impressions

Doctor_No

Finally finished DQM:Joker, beat the post-game events, and beat the secret boss. The main story line takes 20~25 hours to finish, the post-game events and secret boss takes 15-20 hours (depending on your level beating the main storyline). The games monsters are ranked F,E, D, C, B, A, S, SS (in that order from weakest to strongest). The main storyline can be beaten with B/A monsters ~Lv25, the secret boss will require an A/S level monster.

Accolades:

>> Simply put, the best graphics on the DS to date.

>> No Random battles

>> Great usage of both screens and touch screen (I found myself doing a lot of things simply using my thumbs)

>> Well developed story compared to other DQ:Monsters games (but nothing to write home about)

>> Captures the Dragon Quest experience very well on the DS, the game also captures Koichi Sugiyama's music scores very well.

>> There are a lot of monsters (a lot), including bosses/secret bosses from other DQ games up to DQ8.

Criticisms:

>> Game world is relatively small. After you beat the game there are no new areas and no new enemies to fight other then the secret boss. You can level up and get S/SS level monsters, but there really isn't anything to do with them.

>> A lot of the post-game stuff is impossible to figure out if you don't have the guide or without help from online faqs. People still haven't figured out how to make JOKER (for which this game is named).

>> Most of your leveling after the first 20 hours of the game will be done via repetitive Metal Slime-type enemies (There are no other high-level monsters you can fight to level up). Here is the largest fault of the game, you have to essentially level up in the "Miwaku no Metal area" in the later-half of the game that becomes tedious and frustrating. Basically you have to kill 24 slimes in 300 seconds, which will allow you to fight in the metal area for 150 seconds. There is dumb luck involved becomes sometimes the slimes cast Astron and become invincible and that eats away your time. You will spend many hours doing this over and over since there are no other place to level up the only other alteranative is the last dungeon where Hagure Metals appear with 10% probability (this is also tedious).

Some online faqs that I think are the best (in Japanese):

http://zapanet.info/dq/dqmj/

http://www.dm-joker.com/index.html

http://kyokugen.info/dqmj/

Possible Soilers: If you don't want to see somewhat high-level monsters (A & S-rank, not SS-rank) don't scroll down
. . .

pics (from my previous post):

DQM2.jpg

DQM1.jpg

DQMj3.jpg

DQMJ4.jpg

DQMJ1.jpg

DQMj2.jpg

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
those are the last bosses from DQ2 and DQ5 there pretty nice.

I'll buy this when it gets release here nice impressions btw

Doctor_No

Error2k4 said:
those are the last bosses from DQ2 and DQ5 there pretty nice.

All the last bosses from all the DQ series are in the game, but hose aren't the secret characters in the game (most last bosses are S-ranked)

JCX9 said:
Does this have a multiplayer or online mode?

You can fight others via Wifi (I haven't bothered myself); there is also a special SS-rank character you get if you play 19-matches.

oBa

Error2k4 said:
if Chocobo DS is going to be released here, why would DQM:J not?

1. Squenix has never been hesitant to let games go unlocalized before.
2. Its Chocobo's! Chocobos and more importantly Final Fantasy games sell to expectation levels here in the states.
3. The Dragon Quest series generally fails to live up to sales expectations in the states.
4. Rocket Slime, tanked big time sales wise here.
5. We never got Shounen Yangus Fushigi no Dungeon localized.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Doctor_No said:
All the last bosses from all the DQ series are in the game, but hose aren't the secret characters in the game (most last bosses are S-ranked)
hawt

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I think two of the big reasons DQY never got here was because it was a Mysterious Dungeon game and of course it was the worst selling DQ spin-off in Japan of recent history. With the huge DQM success in Japan right now I doubt they'll hesitate to bring it over.

I think some publisher will bring it over. Maybe even Nintendo. It is a really nice looking game that uses the DS hardware quite well it seems, so that alone, besides being a Dragon Quest game might get enough attention in the US.

I think this is a little more of a mainstream title for the US than Rocket Slime. From a U.S. consumers P.O.V. I think something like this is more comparable to a Zelda or Final Fantasy game (just not as high of a stature in terms of a franchise).

CamHostage

Doctor_No said:
Accolades:

>> Simply put, the best graphics on the DS to date.

Really? The character model is awesome and the art is of course classic DQ, but from what I've seen, it's a very bland 3D world. I have yet to see what all the praise is for (and I still think everybody underestimates what the DS can do, as if it's still a GBA, I remember when video first showed of this and everybody was SHOCKED that it was all 3D, on a system that previously had had a perfect port of SM64), but I guess I'll look harder.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
CamHostage said:
Really? The character model is awesome and the art is of course classic DQ, but from what I've seen, it's a very bland 3D world. I have yet to see what all the praise is for (and I still think everybody underestimates what the DS can do, as if it's still a GBA, I remember when video first showed of this and everybody was SHOCKED that it was all 3D, on a system that previously had had a perfect port of SM64), but I guess I'll look harder.

This is my experience. The character models are amazing...DQ8 quality. The texturing in the world, though, is really not good. The ocean is like a 4x4 blue water texture tiled infinitely...and the sky is pretty similar (with clouds!). However, the framerate is high and the action is smooth. I think the battles are pretty appealing. The worlds are pretty barren.

I mean, it's obvious where they had to make cuts and stuff.

But overall it is still a fairly appealing image. I think, aesthetically, FF3 is nicer...but it's a different kind of look.

oBa said:
1. Squenix has never been hesitant to let games go unlocalized before.

Yeah, but look at their recent track record. Since the PS2 generation started, the vast majority of S-E titles that even conceivably could do well in the US have been localized.

3. The Dragon Quest series generally fails to live up to sales expectations in the states.

They've been doing a lot to remedy that, though. VIII sold monumentally better than VII (and better than most RPGs not named Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts).

4. Rocket Slime, tanked big time sales wise here.

I don't think they expected huge sales out of it in the first place. DQM:J is a better candidate to "prime" the DS for DQIX, anyway -- unlike Slime (which is kind of a wonky game that in Japan relied almost entirely on the DQ brand to sell), DQM:J is a monster-catching RPG, a genre that obviously has a pre-built market on the DS.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
But overall it is still a fairly appealing image. I think, aesthetically, FF3 is nicer...but it's a different kind of look.

That might be because the main characters of FFIII didn't fall into tubs of hair gel when they were newborns.

Holy freakin crap. This game looks even more amazing than I thought it did. PLEASE release in America!

I really wish DQIX looked like this. :(

Fady K

Error2k4 said:
if Chocobo DS is going to be released here, why would DQM:J not?

Yeah, they would probably release DQM:J in the US since they also released Rocket Slime.

Pureauthor said:
That might be because the main characters of FFIII didn't fall into tubs of hair gel when they were newborns.

:lol

Chris Michael said:
Holy freakin crap. This game looks even more amazing than I thought it did. PLEASE release in America!

I really wish DQIX looked like this. :(

You mean graphically? I thought Dragon Quest IX looked like the best DS game...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Fady K said:
Chris Michael
Scheißekopf

Seriously, never listen to him when it comes to graphics.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Thanks for the impressions! Just one gameplay question : How are the combat handled? Do you have control over your monsters or do you only set the general strategy like in some olders DQs?

Doctor_No

CamHostage said:
Really? The character model is awesome and the art is of course classic DQ, but from what I've seen, it's a very bland 3D world. I have yet to see what all the praise is for (and I still think everybody underestimates what the DS can do, as if it's still a GBA, I remember when video first showed of this and everybody was SHOCKED that it was all 3D, on a system that previously had had a perfect port of SM64), but I guess I'll
look harder.

The textures on the backgrounds are low-res, and close-up it isn't all the pretty, however you can look every far into the distances, and you don't get direct control over the camera, other then to spin around using the L & R triggers, so you rarely are you able to concentrate on the low-res close-ups. Also being that there are no more random battles, your eyes focus on the enemies that are around you and you really don't focus much on the low-res aspects of the environment. The stage itself is also well designed with the limitations of the DS in mind.

Fady K said:
Yeah, they would probably release DQM:J in the US since they also released Rocket Slime.

:lol

Yes, I mean graphically, but I'm hoping DQ9 will surpass this game both in the graphics and gameplay department. :D

While I'm not sure if they are going to bring it to the US, there isn't much text to translate in the game. The most complicated will the monster names and the moves, there isn't that much story dialog, and there aren't many villagers. So localization, software-wise, I wouldn't consider to be that difficult.

Mistouze said:
Thanks for the impressions! Just one gameplay question : How are the combat handled? Do you have control over your monsters or do you only set the general strategy like in some olders DQs?

Yes you have direct control over the monsters unlike some of the other DQM games. You also breed monsters directly unlike DQM:Caravan Hearts, the breeding more closely resembles Yangus, but with an added skill system.

Top Bottom