• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSEED announces Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection for the West (PC, Falcom, Summer 2017)

https://www.rpgsite.net/news/5608-zwei-the-ilvard-insurrection-announced-for-the-west

XSEED Games announced today during their E3 2017 lineup reveal they'll be localizing developer Nihon Falcom's Zwei II Plus (released back in 2009) as Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection for the west. Here are the full details from the press release:

Originally released in Japan as Zwei II Plus and developed by acclaimed RPG developer Nihon Falcom, Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection is a charmingly presented action RPG featuring a unique food-based experience system, a colorful cast of characters, and a quirky, standalone narrative. When the haughty vampire princess Alwen du Moonbria saves the life of brash, treasure-hunting pilot Ragna Valentine in exchange for a blood contract, the unlikely duo must set off to recover Alwen’s stolen magic and usurped castle.

The game’s real-time combat is tied to a unique leveling system that allows players to choose when to apply experience toward leveling up or whether they should save it for extra perks later on, and pets can fight alongside players to help take down some of the massive bosses encountered on this lengthy adventure through the land of Ilvard. Fans of vampires, treasure-hunting, fairies, ninjas, luchadores, cat-people, vintage airplanes, magic castles, robots, chickens that lay bombs, and more will find lots to love! ©Nihon Falcom Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection will be released for Windows PC sometime this summer.

Jawdropping news. And this Summer too.

Blue-kun

Time for DOG FIGHT.

Cool news, I personally never played a Zwei game but Falcom were doing some good looking PC games right around the time they stopped developing on the platform, so playing Zwei 2 will be neat. Especially now as we can kinda compare it to the stuff they're pulling on the PS4/Vita.

So they finally pulled the trigger. Fantastic. And they get around the whole Zwei Zwei thing, too. :V

This one should do well for them, too, because graphically it's held up really well over the years. So it's fun and it's still a looker, which should draw in a lot of people who don't follow Falcom-XSEED closely.

Aru

YES! More Falcom games.
Man, I have quite a bunch of them to play: barely started TitS 1, so I have 5 more entries to play (counting the not yet released CS3), Xanadu Next, Tokyo Xanadu, Ys VIII et now Zwei 2!

zakujanai

On a scale of Ys to Trails, how story-based is this?

I'm not a fan of of action games but can play them if they're quite story heavy.

The script editor, Nick, just told me XSEED's licensed the script (as a base) from the WIP fan translation project, plus a lot of editing.

Is this exciting? Should I be excited? I looked up a few gameplay vids and it looks like Ys but much slower...
It's closer to a straight dungeon-crawler, kind of like Xanadu Next from last year but much sillier and with more ambitious boss fights. The dungeons themselves look fun and well-paced, and combat's fairly detailed too. You can control difficulty and leveling via food items, play a number of mini-games (including extra bosses), and customize the adventure somewhat via pets and UI add-ons. Game looks decently challenging just like most late Falcom games on Windows.

On a scale of Ys to Trails, how story-based is this?

I'm not a fan of of action games but can play them if they're quite story heavy.
Close to mid-2000s Ys, probably like Origin in terms of story length overall but more fragmented. The dialogue itself gets damn wacky, plus the usual detailed NPCs and secret scenes. And there's definitely some side-quests.

Oh, huh. That's cool.

Dammit XSEED my wallet needs a break from Falcom games

Well, "good" news: outside of PC Gagharv somehow becoming a thing here or original Zwei coming over, the well is beginning to run rather dry on the PC. :(

It's great that virtually the entire 2003+ Falcom PC catalogue will be over here now, but outside of The Miracle Happening for the Joyoland PC ports of Crossbell, we're coming up on the end of the PC back-catalogue that's really still viable for commercial release at this point. I'd love to see Dinosaur Resurrection, Zwei!! or Windows Gagharv happen (the latter especially because they're the only hope we'll ever have for getting properly written versions of those games in English) but I don't envy anyone trying to come up with that marketing plan...

(edit: no but seriously, look at this page and realize just how many games from Napishtim on are now in English. Of the "post-Napishtim-era" games, the only remaining gaps are Vantage Master Portable, the Crossbell games and Nayuta, and those are all solely because they were late-era PSP games and the PSP was in trouble by the time Crossbell was coming out! (edit edit: well okay, Rinne and Ys vs. Sora, too, but that second one is understandable.)

Back in 2010, that was a much grimmer list. XSEED have been doing Aidios' work on this.)

Tonton

I've been waiting for this one for so long I'm so happy
That makes it 4 new Falcom games in English this year plus the console release of Ys Origin and the PC one of Trails of Cold Steel

Year of Falcom

Oh my gosh. I had heard whispers waaay back, but I can't believe this is happening. I loved the original and can't wait to play the Plus version... In English!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Oh nice, I'm surprised they went for Zwei II first but it was the one I was actually interested in so this worked out for me.

Eila

I've been waiting for this one for so long I'm so happy
That makes it 4 new Falcom games in English this year plus the console release of Ys Origin and the PC one of Trails of Cold Steel

Year of Falcom

Trails the 3rd
Zweii II
Ys VIII
Tokyo Xanadu
The Legend of Xanadu
The Legend of Xanadu II
What a time to be alive.

This is amazing - I was just listening to the Zweii!! 2008 Soundtrack earlier today while on a bike ride.

Speaking of, everyone listen to this theme immediately - it's amazing. Prolly one of the best boss themes I've ever heard.

Top Bottom