• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSEED announces Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection for the West (PC, Falcom, Summer 2017)

Foffy

Banned
How interesting.

Does anybody know if they picked up the fan translation this game was getting years ago?

Reveirg

Oh man I'll have a lot of Falcom games to play this year. Still got Cold Steel II, TitS 3rd, Xanadu Next, and Ys Origin PS4 in my backlog, Tokyo Xanadu and Ys VIII coming later, and now this.

THANK YOU XSEED, never thought this would get localized!

Hastati

This sounds great. Still haven't finished a falcom game.

Kind of in the mood for wacky though, may pick this up.

Zwei!! II has some ace music, including this Morricone-esque village theme.

Well, "good" news: outside of PC Gagharv somehow becoming a thing here or original Zwei coming over, the well is beginning to run rather dry on the PC. :(

It's great that virtually the entire 2003+ Falcom PC catalogue will be over here now, but outside of The Miracle Happening for the Joyoland PC ports of Crossbell, we're coming up on the end of the PC back-catalogue that's really still viable for commercial release at this point. I'd love to see Dinosaur Resurrection, Zwei!! or Windows Gagharv happen (the latter especially because they're the only hope we'll ever have for getting properly written versions of those games in English) but I don't envy anyone trying to come up with that marketing plan...

(edit: no but seriously, look at this page and realize just how many games from Napishtim on are now in English. Of the "post-Napishtim-era" games, the only remaining gaps are Vantage Master Portable, the Crossbell games and Nayuta, and those are all solely because they were late-era PSP games and the PSP was in trouble by the time Crossbell was coming out! (edit edit: well okay, Rinne and Ys vs. Sora, too, but that second one is understandable.)
The trick, really, is playing up the strengths of these older games while touting new features Sara can add for the Steam/GOG versions, plus better and more frequent use of social media and YT/stream exposure to keep people aware that a game's coming. Xanadu Next had the former but not the latter, and it released in a crowded holiday season last year where it simply faded into the background because XSEED refused to signal-boost. They got more proactive with Trails 3rd which has sold a little more than Trails SC did at launch, despite 3rd having even less buyers to pull from (not everyone who bought SC has finished it). Zwei: The Illvard Insurrection shouldn't have as much trouble since it's a cheap release in the first place (licensed translation + an editor and programmer) and could sell better than expected given its colorful first impression and, frankly, cute characters.

As for Dinosaur, OG Zwei!!, and Sorcerian, I think at least 2 out of 3 could work well for XSEED. They'd have to price Zwei!! more aggressively because the sequel's coming first, but Dinosaur can appeal to the first-person dungeon crawler niche as well as fans of VNs. Sorcerian's probably doomed to a fan translation because it already targeted a specific, reliable but small audience in Japan to begin with, and it's not a looker or particularly great game. Gagharv won't get over the commercial barrier until Falcom remakes that series, if ever, but fan patches are all but guaranteed now that we're getting Legend of Xanadu (II), Brandish 2 (then 3, and the WIP 4 patch), and other older games.

Before I forget: VM Japan could sell decently if XSEED implements modern netcode, and including an English version of Vantage Master V2 would sweeten the deal. Then we could get Vantage Master Portable if sales are somehow good enough, since there's some unique content in that version (but I think the original's great to play and would be a cheap thing to work on).

Speaking of, everyone listen to this theme immediately - it's amazing. Prolly one of the best boss themes I've ever heard.
I prefer the original Demon Vesper for not being as melodramatic, but I really enjoy Jindo's arrangements of that OST. Ilvard Insurrection doesn't have one as catchy and focused on folk styles, but it's still great.

This is a welcome surprise though...what about the first Zwei?
Nick's hinting at something here. The fan translators were also working on Zwei!!, so maybe XSEED has plans with it based on how much was finished.

i don't know this game.

Can someone tell me why i should be excited .

i welcome all localisations of course but ..what's ZWEI 2 ?

18-Volt

It's goddamn 2017 and XSEED announces a Windows only Falcom game? Come on XSEED, porting these to Mac is much easier and cheaper than to port anywhere else.

I prefer the original Demon Vesper for not being as melodramatic, but I really enjoy Jindo's arrangements of that OST. Ilvard Insurrection doesn't have one as catchy and focused on folk styles, but it's still great.

Haha I love that its more vibrant and exciting than the original, but I have no story context so who knows if it's fitting or not.

It's goddamn 2017 and XSEED announces a Windows only Falcom game? Come on XSEED, porting these to Mac is much easier and cheaper than to port anywhere else.

I feel your pain, and was forced to use a Windows partition in my Mac to play TitS 3. Times are tough, mayn.

Blue-kun

Of course Nick's little thing there obviously hints at Zwei 1 more than anything, but it'd be an amazing world if somehow XSEED found a way to port Nayuta to the PC and managed to release THAT.

I mean, it's basically Zwei 3 anyway...

Aeana

Thought it was weird they bring this when I heard a while back, but more of Falcom's library in English is good. Not personally a huge fan of the game though.

Tizoc

AW SHIT SON
YOU KNOW WHAT'S NEXT
Y'ALL KNOW YOU WANT IT
YOU WANT IT IN YOUR VEINS RIGHT NOW
2276307-d.png

UWTJ2EL.png

sorcerian-forever-300dpi.jpg

INJECT THE FALCOM GOODNESS INTO MY VEINS FOR ALL ETERNITY.

Tizoc

I want everyone to stop and click this link from the soundtrack.

Demon Vesper

Sweet JAYSUS.

So yeah, I'mma buy this.

edit: fuck, was beaten. DO IT AGAIN ANYWAYS.

DO NOT TEMPT ME
I must experience Falcom Music in the games they are in to fully immerse and appreciate it
DO NOT TEMPT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE*clicks link*EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE*closes link because it is final boss theme*EEEE

Kumubou

Wait... what? Cool as hell that this game is being localized (and I'll buy it), but I never really would have expected it.

AW SHIT SON
YOU KNOW WHAT'S NEXT
Y'ALL KNOW YOU WANT IT
YOU WANT IT IN YOUR VEINS RIGHT NOW

INJECT THE FALCOM GOODNESS INTO MY VEINS FOR ALL ETERNITY.
You mention these games and not Brandish 4? You're killing me, Tizoc. :< (although getting Dinosaur Resurrection and Sorcerian Forever localized would be some shit, too)

Kalor

That came out of nowhere. I saw recently that the fan translation was getting close but I didn't realise it was this close.

Tizoc

Wait... what? Cool as hell that this game is being localized (and I'll buy it), but I never really would have expected it.

You mention these games and not Brandish 4? You're killing me, Tizoc. :< (although getting Dinosaur Resurrection and Sorcerian Forever localized would be some shit, too)

Bruh first we need the GOAT
The Legendary!
The Hallowed by thy name!
brandish2renewal.jpg

Brandish tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo: The Planet Busterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Just that name puts all other video game titles to shame. That's pretty much the greatest video game title of all time to me.

I know getting it ported is damn near difficult and even trying to sell it will be harder too, but I need that PC ver. localized or fantranslated yesterday.

StereoVsn

Great news. The game looks colorful and fun. I will grab it and it will go into the backlog just as Trails the 3rd.

So wait
what about Zwei 1? Does Zwei 2 make it obsolete?

Regardless HYPE MUDAFAKAS!
Nah, the first Zwei!! still has most of the mechanics and structure used in the sequel, and plenty of dungeon crawling. It's got what I consider a cozier soundtrack, gorgeous and timeless 2D visuals (the 3D bosses mostly suck...), and good pacing alongside a nice Falcom town and adventure. But I think XSEED would have to price their release more aggressively since the sequel's coming first (that, or Nick's hinting at the original game being a freebie).

I know getting it ported is damn near difficult and even trying to sell it will be harder too, but I need that PC ver. localized or fantranslated yesterday.
The Brandish 2 PC-98 fan patch is coming pretty soon, and that's good enough for me. But I'd love for Falcom to get more staff in order to make a Brandish 2 remake that would appeal to us more.

wrowa

Nice to see they're still bringing over classic Falcom games. Xanadu Next's sales seem underwhelming, so it wouldn't have surprised me if they stopped bothering.

Joqu

xseeeeeeed

<3

Xanadu Next's performance got me spooked, I'm so glad we're still getting more classic Falcom games.

I just realized that, short of a delay, XSEED's releasing this soon...very soon. July would be perfect if we got this and Trails of Cold Steel I in the same timeframe, and it would help sales a lot.

Xanadu Next's performance got me spooked, I'm so glad we're still getting more classic Falcom games.
One major advantage here is that, unlike Xanadu Next, most people interested haven't already played the game in English. This really is the (polished) fan translation finally seeing the light of day, and there should be more things in store for the release.

c1d

One major advantage here is that, unlike Xanadu Next, most people interested haven't already played the game in English. This really is the (polished) fan translation finally seeing the light of day, and there should be more things in store for the release.
I hope so. More Falcom is good for everyone, but steam is a very different place to 3 years ago.

Joqu

Hm I hope you're right, I really want these to do well. It's interesting, I wasn't even aware Xanadu Next has had a readily available fan translation. I haven't been into the Falcom scene for that long!

ASaiyan

Banned
Shame it's not 'Zwei II' in the West. That'd be funny for German speakers.
..because 'zwei' is two in German.

Big Nikus

Really happy but it's the first Zwei I was the most interested in (that artstyle <3). I'll happily buy this one though, and hope it sells enough to warrant a translation for the first one !

Really happy but it's the first Zwei I was the most interested in (that artstyle <3). I'll happily buy this one though, and hope it sells enough to warrant a translation for the first one !
Since the fan translator likely finished her version of Zwei!! in English, XSEED will probably let her release a fan patch of that assuming they don't find a way to localize it later.

Eusis

In this day and age they should probably still call it Zwei II, or pull a Monster Hunter Tri and leave it in the logo "just in case" even if it's not actually being called that in any press material and is buried under the subtitle.

Still, awesome news! Definitely grabbing it ASAP.

EDIT: Though I also guess adding the subtitle means that they can release the original game and just call it Zwei. And be smartasses and go "it's still II, because it's the Illvard Insurrection. Really." Though following the link kind of shows they made up a whole new logo already anyway.

Eusis

Oh, and man, I hope they can eventually go for the long shot and get games ported to PC then released here. They're starting with Cold Steel, but it'd definitely be neat to get games like Nayuta in English afterall. Or just more eyes on Brandish.

And be smartasses and go "it's still II, because it's the Illvard Insurrection. Really." Though following the link kind of shows they made up a whole new logo already anyway.
They probably made the new logo to avoid inserting the subtitle into the old one in an awkward way, but also to make the original Zwei!! logo pop out when they hopefully release or bundle that game.

PC ports of Falcom PSP exclusives like Vantage Master Portable and Brandish: The Dark Revenant are a long shot, but they could both find a bigger audience on Steam/GOG just as dedicated. So it comes down to costs of acquiring better assets and good ports, plus the kind of light marketing XSEED seems to be improving at (see Trails 3rd's countdown and preview stream).

Top Bottom