• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR surpasses 1 million units sold

chadskin

Sony has now sold more than 1 million PlayStation VR headsets, the company announced today. The news follows a reveal back in February that the PSVR had topped 915,000 units sold since its debut last October.
Shawn Layden, president and CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment America, admits there's still plenty of work to be done, especially given the large install base of PS4 owners, which is approaching 60 million. ”It's still just a million units," he says.

Layden expects sales to pick up this year in large part because of availability. ”We'll have freer supply in the marketplace," he says of 2017. ”We got to a point around Christmas where you would be hard-pressed to find VR anywhere. So we dialed back some of our promotional activity at that time because we didn't want to be promoting a platform for people to find out they couldn't get it. I didn't want to create more unhappy customers."
According to Sony, PSVR owners have purchased 5.25 million VR games to date, and play an average of 25 minutes per session.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/5/15719382/playstation-vr-sony-sales-one-million

Eria

"So we dialed back some of our promotional activity at that time because we didn’t want to be promoting a platform for people to find out they couldn’t get it. I didn’t want to create more unhappy customers"

Nintendo needs to learn this ASAP

Quonny

Seems to be readily available. It just hit 1 million? I'd call it a failure.

It wasn't over the holidays. My wife got me one for Christmas and she did a stock check every couple of days for three weeks before finally snagging one. Stock issues abound in Japan where you see lines forming for them and in the States they've only just now started being available. I saw my first one in the wild just last week and I visit Target probably every other week.

Gurish

Not very impressive and I guess it's still better than Oculus and Vive's numbers. VR has a long way to go to be mainstream.

Interfectum

That doesn't sound good to me. VR is supposed to be the next big thing and if you got it into customer's hands it would sell itself. It seems to be rapidly slowing down instead of speeding up.

Elandyll

Banned
Seems to be readily available. It just hit 1 million? I'd call it a failure.
According to available estimates it's more than both direct competitors combined, for a $499 add-on with cables in a living room setup.

Given that it appears to be sold out in several markets (Japan for sure), with relatively little advertising, I'd say it did fine so far. Also seems on par with forecasts or better.

BriGuy

"So we dialed back some of our promotional activity at that time because we didn’t want to be promoting a platform for people to find out they couldn’t get it. I didn’t want to create more unhappy customers"

Nintendo needs to learn this ASAP

In all fairness, I haven't seen a Switch commercial aired since March. Anecdotal sure, but surrounding launch, seemingly every commercial break featured that "believer" commercial.

Edit:
And as a PSVR owner who hasn't used it in the last four months, I see VR going the same way as 3D televisions. I expect a resurgence later down the road, but for now, they just leave too much to be desired.

Considering its an add-on for a console that's more expensive than the console itself, that's not bad.

I imagine at E3 we'll see a price drop and maybe a new bundle.

People are saying the numbers aren't good but what would be "good"? It costs more than a PS4 and it is an add-on peripheral. Not to say it is knocking it out of the park but failure and what not?

jacobeid

Banned
FWIW, Sony had 1.2 million Vitas in the wild by the end of February 2012 (shortly after the EU and NA launches). Considering how quickly software support died for Vita, I hesitate to think what this means for the future of PS VR.

The cost is still prohibitive to mass market appeal, one million sold is actually pretty good if you ask me. The sweet spot is going to be <£200 though, wonder how long it takes to get there?

dickroach

I imagine at E3 we'll see a price drop and maybe a new bundle.

I'm curious how they're going to treat the PSVR at E3.
if they don't focus on it at all people will say "see? it's dead"
if they do focus on it at all they'll be alienating 98% of their base

I'm curious how they're going to treat the PSVR at E3.
if they don't focus on it at all people will say "see? it's dead"
if they do focus on it at all they'll be alienating 98% of their base
Quick announcement for price drop and a montage video of upcoming games. That's my guess.

WhatNXt

I feel like the best bet for a VR renaissance would be to get this stuff out in arcades, cinemas, shopping outlets, clubs. The total cost of a combined console VR package is still too high for home use. 1 million units in this sort of timeframe shows us we're not yet at a place where we can reach critical mass. It's got a future, but prime time isn't now.

I'm heading to Arcade Club in Bury, UK in a few weeks - and they've got everything from retro cabinets to this:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Locat...ade_Club-Bury_Greater_Manchester_England.html

I know arcades have had their day in some parts of the world, but I'd love to see them make a comeback off the back of tech like PSVR, Vive etc.

PJV3

Not bad considering some of the cons, a little too much faffing about with wires and boxes for the money really.

As a very expensive optional add-on to a console, this seems OK.

As a platform that wants to attract developers by building a large user base, the apparently massive slowdown in sales since February should be worrisome.

Top Bottom