• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shawn Layden loves the Vita says it's still viable just not in the West

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The Verge

But just because the Vita won’t have much of a presence at gaming’s biggest spectacle, that doesn’t necessarily mean the platform is dead — especially if you ask Sony Interactive Entertainment America president and CEO Shawn Layden.

“IT’S STILL MY FAVORITE PORTABLE.”

“Vita is still a viable platform,” Layden says, “chiefly in the Japanese and Asian markets. We still have developers in Japan who are building for that platform. But it just didn’t get over the hump in Europe and America. It’s hard to know exactly why, but it didn’t garner a large enough audience here for us to continue to build for it.”

yurinka

Vita means love.

Regarding why it doesn't work in western market, maybe it's because Sony doesn't market it any more, needed a pricecut especially in the fucking memory cards and more games from top -non indie- devs.

The support from the indie devs has been awesome, but after a few years Sony didn't support it properly in terms of marketing and big 1st party or moneyhatted 3rd party games.

Market it as Remote Play and PS Now, portable indie games machine with PS+ free games and bundle it with every PS4.

Its install base would grow and would make sense to make bigger games for it.

PMS341

Maybe the Vita would have had more life if it wasn't strangled by overly expensive proprietary memory.

It's still just about clinging to viability in Asia thanks to strong software sales, but not for much longer by the looks of things (especially with companies like Falcom & Marvelous bailing out).

Would've been nice if he could've shown that love by using his clout to get a bit of extra content on the platform. I suppose Vib Ribbon was him, lol.

He's not wrong about how Vita fared overall in different markets, but it's hardly shocking that a Sony exec calls the Vita his favourite portable. Personally I don't think Vita (or 3DS for that matter) holds a candle to the PSP or DS that preceded it.

LewieP

So why don't they let people add Japanese accounts to their Vita in addition to their local account?

Why don't they overhaul PSN to make international releases one submission rather than one submission for each region?

dugdug

Banned
"It’s hard to know exactly why, but it didn’t garner a large enough audience here for us to continue to build for it."

vitacards.jpg

Amongst other things, obv.

entremet

So why don't they let people add Japanese accounts to their Vita in addition to their local account?

Why don't they overhaul PSN to make international releases one submission rather than one submission for each region?
You think they silll spend that time and money to do that? This is the same company that can't get us to change our PSN names.

MSMrRound

Gio Corsi single-handedly keeping the Sony exec love for the Vita alive on the main conference stages.

Looking forward to the 4th annual "Gio Corsi's the only one giving the Vita some love and announces a Yakuza title/indies" show happening in December.

oti

Banned
Visual Booby Novels need a home too!

Edit: I also like how the Verge just didn't mention Europe in their subheadline.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I love the Vita. It's a great system hampered by incredibly off putting decisions. The Switch is kinda giving me a similar feeling, with less drawbacks, but the VNs / fanservice-y games don't seem to be heading towards it yet.

ggx2ac

He says the platform isn't dead, yet it's at Wii U numbers from what we can guess since they don't disclose Vita shipment numbers.

Kysen

Relying on 3rd party to carry your hardware is only a working strategy when 3rd party show up. Pretty simple to see why it failed in the west. The 3DS sold a lot overseas but was carried by Nintendo for the most part outside Japan. Western 3rd party doesn't care about handhelds.

Scrawnton

You know EXACTLY why the system failed.

The sign of Vita's failure in the west was even more obvious than Wii U's predicted failure.

Sephzilla

I think the Vita would have done pretty decently had it just been a dual analog PSP2 with non-proprietary memory and no touchscreen gimmicks. They just needed to improve upon what the PSP did instead of go in an awkward side direction.

Reason for my thinking = Because the PSP is one of the top 10 all time selling game systems

It's still just about clinging to viability in Asia thanks to strong software sales, but not for much longer by the looks of things (especially with companies like Falcom & Marvelous bailing out).

Would've been nice if he could've shown that love by using his clout to get a bit of extra content on the platform. I suppose Vib Ribbon was him, lol.

Yeah, I don't think there's much life left in it, it's still getting games but it's clear the games it was built to play aren't coming out anymore as the PS4 is simply stretching the hardware too thin.

I'm not even sure a New 3DS-style hardware refresh would have worked (though Vita's OS and platform itself doesn't seem scalable to the extent of 3DS, going from the Vita TV's rigid unflexibility) since a lot of current console games wouldn't scale back to the original Vita in the first place.

I guess Minecraft's arrival on Switch will also slow down Vita hardware sales to the masses. But I remember Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan going on record saying they have some first party Vita games in the works for the audience that basically bought a Vita for Minecraft?

I'd still like to see another handheld from Sony, though the ForwardWorks effort seems to have replaced first party handheld games that we'd have traditionally seen. Perhaps an ARM + Nvidia PS5 platform will see an architectural shift that'd favour two devices with a shared library of games, if Sony is willing to give up backwards compatibility, that is.

UCBooties

In some better universe the Vita launched with micro-sd memory card support and a TV out with ability to pair a Dualshock 3. Who knows if that would have been enough to gain support in the West but we could have had a proto-switch 5 years ago...

I'm honestly surprised it's lasted as long as it has with how poorly it's done in the west and the lack of Sony support.
It was the highest quality portable device (for its time) but it never really took off here. Japan had a big boost from Sony funded MH clones and a price drop, but they didn't even fully localize their in house one in the west.
It houses the definitive Persona experience and some of the best "Ace Attorney" games are on it
DR
so I had a good time with it but I haven't felt the need to use it since Dangan Ronpa 2 came out

Also think people are over exaggerating the cost of the memory cards. They were most likely a way to reduce the cost of the main unit. Don't think a $299 PSV would've faired much better vs a $179 3DS

Those fucking memory cards killed it.

If Sony really wanted to do super expensive memory, they should have made it all internal memory included in the device. That's how phones get away with ridiculously expensive memory. Psychology is weird, but people are more likely to buy one expensive device than a slightly cheaper one with a mandatory other purchase on top of that.

There's also the problem that the high memory card prices discourage people from buying games for the Vita because the games won't fit. That's a fucking ridiculous business decision.

I think the Vita would have done pretty decently had it just been a dual analog PSP2 with non-proprietary memory and no touchscreen gimmicks. They just needed to improve upon what the PSP did instead of go in an awkward side direction.

Reason for my thinking = Because the PSP is one of the top 10 all time selling game systems

It's easy to forget that PSP was very appealing when it launched in 2004 because it was a multimedia device. The marketing itself centred around the ability to play and view Music, Video (UMD video!), Photos, alongside games. Some ads entirely focused on the other three that weren't games.

Of course, Apple ate Sony's lunch there, but I don't think a PSP2 would have the same appeal as PSP, much like how Vita didn't. The market had changed. Vita's initial slump at least encouraged Sony to rethink their approach and lower their barriers to entry for developers, something which paid off in spades with PS4 (And is paying off with Switch, as the exact same thing happened with Wii U).

Top Bottom