• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shawn Layden loves the Vita says it's still viable just not in the West

Drackhorn

C'mon Shawn

Don't act like we don't remember

nu1r83.png

This. And he knows.

Oersted

Vita sells less than 1/3 compared to last year(which wasn't a particularly successful year) and the only game selling is Minecraft.

So erm.

MTC100

Banned
Sure shawn, we know you aren't allowed to say it's the Switch but please don't blatantly lie. Vita is dead, it's not even a powerful handheld anymore with it's aged technology.

Shin

Banned
Maybe the Vita would have had more life if it wasn't strangled by overly expensive proprietary memory.

Didn't the system itself cost 299 or 399 at launch as well?
I got a white oled version and I like the aesthetics and everything about it TBH.

MikeyB

Is PlayAsia pretty much the only place to get a new one these days? I have a PS TV, but I am worried about it conking out in the years to come, so I want a backup.

gogogow

Shawn Layden said:
It’s hard to know exactly why, but it didn’t garner a large enough audience here for us to continue to build for it.”

Lol, bwahahahaha. He has the balls to say that? Maybe supporting the damn device would've helped.

Parshias7

It's easy to forget that PSP was very appealing when it launched in 2004 because it was a multimedia device. The marketing itself centred around the ability to play and view Music, Video (UMD video!), Photos, alongside games. Some ads entirely focused on the other three that weren't games.

Of course, Apple ate Sony's lunch there, but I don't think a PSP2 would have the same appeal as PSP, much like how Vita didn't. The market had changed. Vita's initial slump at least encouraged Sony to rethink their approach and lower their barriers to entry for developers, something which paid off in spades with PS4 (And is paying off with Switch, as the exact same thing happened with Wii U).

Don't forget that while the PSP launched strong and had success, it had lost a ton of momentum in the West near the end of its life. And all the momentum the PSP had in Japan was primarily due to Monster Hunter, which wasn't on the Vita. So the Vita was the successor to a successful portable, but PSP wasn't actually successful enough to really carry over any good will to the Vita. Sort of like how the Wii was dragging at the end of its life and didn't exactly do the Wii U any favors.

Blam

Gotta love the balls on Shawn.

Sure the overpriced games and accessories wasn't even the problem. Nah I'd love to pay 59.99 for a handheld game. Can't forget paying $100 for that sweet sweet storage space.

/s

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I love you Vita. Your daddy is a neglectful asshole that did nothing but try to sabotage you for most of your life. Everyone said you were going to be a failure but you didn't give a shit what people said. You just fought on through the hardships of life and gave us your love. Countless hours of your love have been spread to so many people. Not enough people returned the favour, but know that those of us that did will not stop. We will continue to spread the word of Vita for the rest of our lives, as Vita means life. And as Nintendo Switch continues what you started, know that you have left a fine legacy. A legacy that will go down in the ages. You will be remembered. I raise my glass to you, Vita. You accomplished more than you had any right to. Well done, Vita. Well done.

sphinx

the piano man
Those fucking memory cards killed it.

I don't really believe this.

Switch has a ton of super expensive accesories and people waste their money on them like their lives depend on that

in all truth, softwarewise it had pretty awful first two years and by then it was over.

Blam

I love you Vita. Your daddy is a neglectful asshole that did nothing but try to sabotage you for most of your life. Everyone said you were going to be a failure but you didn't give a shit what people said. You just fought on through the hardships of life and gave us your love. Countless hours of your love have been spread to so many people. Not enough people returned the favour, but know that those of us that did will not stop. We will continue to spread the word of Vita for the rest of our lives, as Vita means life. And as Nintendo Switch continues what you started, know that you have left a fine legacy. A legacy that will go down in the ages. You will be remembered. I raise my glass to you, Vita. You accomplished more than you had any right to. Well done, Vita. Well done.

fWeFMv1.gif

mindatlarge

I took up learning Japanese just so I could play import Vita games. It has been a fun experience and beats using Google translate, if you have the time and will to do so.

:')

oti

Banned

It will be forgotten in 5 years tops.

donnieashes.jpg

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Its still my fav too. That may change once I get my hands on a Switch...

Still plan on getting a Vita for me and my kids.

in all truth, softwarewise it had pretty awful first two years and by then it was over.

Software-wise it was a lot like the Wii U at launch, lots of variety and decent games, but nothing that was a must-play or an attention grabber. And stuff like Uncharted and WipEout 2048 - while super impressive for cutting edge mobile hardware - just invited comparisons that Vita wasn't as good as the PS3 in terms of inputs and comparative games.

While I enjoyed the Vita launch window (I picked up Everybody's Golf, Rayman Origins, Mutant Blobs Attack, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Katamari and Blazblue) it didn't help that there was a long software drought soon after. I remember there being basically nothing until Disgaea 3 and Metal Gear in the summer.

Both Vita and 3DS suffered early on due to the changing market and how both Nintendo and Sony hadn't lowered barriers to entry for devs to combat software droughts, Nintendo got off much better with the 3DS for reasons explained rather well in this old NGP analysis:

But as impressive as it is to see Uncharted running on a portable console the truth is none of Sony’s first party games have ever had the sales or cultural impact that would imply they were such a necessity for the PSP2. Uncharted certainly deserves to be more popular than it is but after two tries already it seems unlikely it ever will be. Likewise Resistance, LittleBigPlanet, Everybody’s Golf and wipEout are well known amongst the hardcore – but not necessarily by anyone else.

As well as showing off just how powerful the PSP2 is this line-up, which also included a tech demo for Konami’s Metal Gear Solid 4, also suggests that Sony’s portable is still primarily interested in replicating the home video game experience on a portable. And we’ve no idea why.

The success of the Nintendo DS and iPhone is all due to them offering gaming experiences that are not only appreciably different from those you’d see on a home console but also specifically designed with portable play in mind (i.e. not too complicated and playable in short bursts). The PSP has never offered this and that is at the root of its failure in the West.

In Japan the overwhelming popularity of Monster Hunter means that the PSP is viewed very differently there. But Monster Hunter Freedom’s success is based on its portability and the way it encourages social interaction – unfortunately for Sony and Capcom it does so in a uniquely Japanese way which has never translated overseas.

The Japanese success is also due to the console’s low development costs, which allows local developers to continue to make games purely for a home audience – just as they did in the PlayStation 2 era. It’s hard to imagine how the PSP2 is going to continue this legacy though, since making games that look almost as good as the PlayStation 3 mean spending almost the same amount of money.

KLonso

You know, I love my Vita and I'm really sad that it wasn't successful, but I don't understand the narrative that the memory cards killed it. Do you guys really think that the casual handheld buying crowd (which the Vita would have needed to be successful) even would have considered the cost of the memory cards before buying a Vita? I doubt it. More, I feel, it just didn't carry the same casual appeal as a 3DS or even the PSP before it.

Circinus

You know EXACTLY why the system failed.

Implication of the word 'exactly' is important here. But yes, they generally should (and undoubtedly do have) have probable ideas and explanations for why it wasn't a commercial success.

Um, actually it's pretty easy to know why

I think it's a more sensible comment than you'd expect at a glance. Like I said, the implication of the word 'exactly' is important here. It's very hard to pin-point the exact reasons in a highly precise way as to why something wasn't successful in the market. I think it's just a bit of a normal, humble attitude to say you can't know it exactly. On the other hand there are some people on this board who proclaim they know it all and exactly with just a few inconclusive personal observations.

You can't really say things like: "Me and one of my friends thought the memory cards were too expensive, therefore it failed!!" When it reality memory cards might actually have made SIE extra money, because we don't know if they would have reached an audience beyond core enthusiast handheld gamer audience with or without the memory cards that would have outweighed the profit generated from the memory cards (not way to know if it's the case, but it's a possibiliy)

Shifty1897

It’s hard to know exactly why, but it didn’t garner a large enough audience here for us to continue to build for it.
181494-doctor-who-shut-up-hitler.gif

VITA was supposed to mean life, not Virtually Impossible To Afford.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The only reason I bough a Vita five years ago is because Amazon had a deal for a free 16gb memory card with the purchase of a Vita. ..'hard 2 know' eh?

mclem

I'll never understand the pricing on these. Making your own for fear of piracy, fair enough. But the pricing is idiotic and daylight robbery.

And yet, the 3DS did okay enough with bog-standard SD. Heck, even with the hacks that exist now, is SD the entry vector?

LewieP

I'll never understand the pricing on these. Making your own for fear of piracy, fair enough. But the pricing is idiotic and daylight robbery.

"How can we discourage our customers from meaningfully engaging with the digital marketplace for our platform?"

fernoca

Switch has a ton of super expensive accesories and people waste their money on them like their lives depend on that

Though the memory cards are recquired for the Vita. The Switch's expensive accesories are still optional.

But in general, more than memory cards, Sony just abandoned it. And is not the first time they do so. Outside of their PlayStation consoles, if something is not a success fast they just abandon it. They don't commit to build or make things better. They quickly claimed that they wouldn't make more games like Uncharted on it. And after Killzone, they just ignored it.

They should just admit it, rather than feign ignorance. XD

sinonobu

Banned
And yet lots of Asian publishers are only releasing PS4 counterpart of the game when it's PS4/Vita release in Japan.

Vita's dead. Even in Asia.

dugdug

Banned

They aren't absolutely necessary, though. If you only had the 4GB mem card for Vita and bought Uncharted, you were done, and already needed a new card.

kevm3

I'm glad Vita is being phased out so we don't have to see games being held back so it can also be on Vita.

Fiendcode

Vita had a great launch lineup, arguably the best of last gen. Extra Switch controllers and docks might be expensive but the system includes everything you need really except memory (like Vita). And it uses cheap microSD for that, not really comparable at all.

LewieP

The Switch takes industry standard memory cards.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Though the memory cards are recquired for the Vita. The Switch's expensive accesories are still optional.

But in general, more than memory cards, Sony just abandoned it. And is not the first time they do so. Outside of their PlayStation consoles, if something is not a success fast they just abandon it. They don't commit to build or make things better. They quickly claimed that they wouldn't make more games like Uncharted on it. And after Killzone, they just ignored it.

They should just admit it, rather than feign ignorance. XD
Sony are very bad for this. We're lucky PS3 was so damn essential to them, or they would have let that die too.

fernoca

Vita had a great launch lineup, arguably the best of last gen. Extra Switch controllers and docks might be expensive but the system includes everything you need really except memory (like Vita). And it uses cheap microSD for that, not really comparable at all.
Switch at least has some internal memory.
Vita didn't, then they added like 1GB on it whch at least allowed for some saves.

Griss

Software-wise it was a lot like the Wii U at launch, lots of variety and decent games, but nothing that was a must-play or an attention grabber. And stuff like Uncharted and WipEout 2048 - while super impressive for cutting edge mobile hardware - just invited comparisons that Vita wasn't as good as the PS3 in terms of inputs and comparative games.

While I enjoyed the Vita launch window (I picked up Everybody's Golf, Rayman Origins, Mutant Blobs Attack, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Katamari and Blazblue) it didn't help that there was a long software drought soon after. I remember there being basically nothing until Disgaea 3 and Metal Gear in the summer.

Both Vita and 3DS suffered early on due to the changing market and how both Nintendo and Sony hadn't lowered barriers to entry for devs to combat software droughts, Nintendo got off much better with the 3DS for reasons explained rather well in this old NGP analysis:

The bolded is the core reason it failed, not memory card prices. Why would someone play the big Playstation games/franchises on Vita rather than PS3? Your Uncharteds, your Fifas, your CoDs, your Maddens? That question was never answered.

Pubs put 3rd string devs on Vita (because they needed the 1st and 2nd string teams on PS3/360) so it was no surprise when people declined to play those lesser quality games just because they were portable and instead stayed with the home console.

With Nintendo, on the other hand
-some games only appear on handhelds (Mainline Pokemon)
-some games were more suited to handheld (Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing)
-with Switch, handheld and home titles is no longer a choice of purchase (buying Uncharted Golden Abyss vs buying Uncharted 3, for example) rather a choice of where you want to play.
So there was always an actual appeal separate to the home console there.

People just didn't want lower-quality AAA gaming on the go, and I'm not sure they ever will.

Timeaisis

They had like 3 years to figure this shit out and make it a worthwhile purchase, but now they just have an old, expensive, unsupported portable console sitting out there competing with the Switch.

Purexed

Banned
Are we really pretending the cost of memory cards were the reason for Vita's failure in the West?

I think its pretty obvious that mobile games on phones did the Vita in. Factoring in a huge games library, ftp options, and substantially lower prices that equals game over the the Vita in the West.

Top Bottom