• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's iPad Pros are the 1st mobile consumer displays with 120hz

https://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/

rTrgKko.jpg

If sales of the new iPad Pro are good, do you think more content will be developed with higher refresh rates?

This might be an HDR situation. I have no idea what 120hz looks like IRL.
Same. I've read that 120hz doesn't do much for gaming apart from make the experience a tad smoother. Idk how it's going to benefit the iPad pro in anyway? Anyone who's knowledgeable like to to chime in please?

Edit: Maybe it could benefit pencil users?

The display has an adaptable refresh. Not sure *how* adaptable, but so far we know it does 120hz for Apple Pencil use (to drop down to 20ms) and 24hz for compatible video.

Probably for games it defaults to 60 unless told otherwise. Automatic refresh adaptation like Freesync would be great but no word on that yet that I've seen.

Same. I've read that 120hz doesn't do much for gaming apart from make the experience a tad smoother. Idk how it's going to benefit the iPad pro in anyway? Anyone who's knowledgeable like to to chime in please?

I believe its supposed to make the Apple Pencil better and more responsive to input.

sanstesy

120hz is a huge benefit for twitchy and in general games with very rapid camera movement. Otherwise it's just more pleasing for the eyes but not a real net benefit in other applications.

sleepnaught

120hz makes it a heck of alot smoother, not a little.

I believe its supposed to make the Apple Pencil better and more responsive to input.
Yeah I thought so. I wonder if the Galaxy Note 8 will do the same with adaptive refresh rate. Might not be worth it though with the tiny (in comparison screen).
120hz is a huge benefit for twitchy and in general games with very rapid camera movement. Otherwise it's just more pleasing for the eyes but not a real net benefit.
Thank you. I'd never have known this.
120hz makes it a heck of alot smoother, not a little.
See I've read conflicting reports by PC users, some claim it's amazing and some claim it's just a little better. Same people who can't see 30fps Vs 60fps?

120hrz and HDR alone make it almost worth upgrading from gen1 pro. Almost. I can't quite justify it, especially when I need both a new laptop and phone, but I really really want it.

Dante83

Banned
The new ipad pro is crazy powerful for a mobile device as well. A10X and an improved GPU, while the android tabs are using old processors from previous years (I am looking at you samsung). Whether you like apple or not, you got to give them credit for what they are doing in the tablet space. They are stepping it up along with microsoft while android tabs are pretty much irrelevant. 120 hz is going to make it even smoother.

low-G

This might be an HDR situation. I have no idea what 120hz looks like IRL.

I used to play 120Hz games pretty often back in the CRT days. With the way CRTs refreshed it is probably the modern equivalent of 1000fps (but not in terms of information to the eyes of course).

Looks way better.

SliChillax

I always wondered why no one was making a 120hz touch display. It's not just smoother than 60hz, the input latency is much lower so the touch screen feels way more natural.

Cause technology advances, deal with it. Instead of asking why be happy that technologies evolves.

MGrant

120 Hz will be a godsend for mitigating input lag and overall responsiveness. Hopefully more laptop manufacturers start doing the same if it's become more battery-friendly.

I really hope that in the same way the retina iPhone kicked off pixel density wars, Apple going 120hz will kick off refresh rate wars. I want everything to be at least 120hz in 3 years time.

I was recently thinking about when Apple or someone else would have their OS run at 120hz. Must be the smoothest UI experience

i wish the gaming community valued frame rate more. People might not know what frame rate even is, but they definitely notice a smooth and snappy experience.

Finally another good trend that Apple will set. Hopefully this will get more manufacturers working on higher refresh rate displays on everything.

Verus

Whoever told you this have not really experienced playing pc games higher than that refresh rate.

antibolo

Banned
This reminds me, it's kinda ridiculous that made-for-VR phones like the Samsung Gear VR phones are still at 60 Hz, even though in the PC/console VR field it's considered below the acceptable minimum for VR.

Dante83

Banned
120 hz will improve touch response that improves UI smoothness and better latency. It's more of a user-experience enhancement. It does not do much for gaming in terms of frame rate. IOS gaming apps already run smooth for the games that I have such as marvel contest of champions compared to android.

Jesus fuck. This is what chasing resolution has bred. I can't with this.
What's so hard to understand that I haven't seen a game running in 120hz in person. From what I have read and been told, it was supposed to be worthless. However members here have told me otherwise. What's with the hostile post? Gain some reading comprehension.

Renekton

120 Hz will be a godsend for mitigating input lag and overall responsiveness. Hopefully more laptop manufacturers start doing the same if it's become more battery-friendly.
I think monitors have different total input latency despite refresh rate numbers. How is ipad here?

dracula_x

this is why:

response time is important for stuff like that. "120hz" thing is not for gaming.

120 hz will improve touch response that improves UI smoothness and better latency. It's more of a user-experience enhancement. It does not do much for gaming in terms of frame rate. IOS gaming apps already run smooth for the games that I have such as marvel contest of champions compared to android.

^ pretty much

Top Bottom