• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's iPad Pros are the 1st mobile consumer displays with 120hz

Quasar

The display has an adaptable refresh. Not sure *how* adaptable, but so far we know it does 120hz for Apple Pencil use (to drop down to 20ms) and 24hz for compatible video.

Probably for games it defaults to 60 unless told otherwise. Automatic refresh adaptation like Freesync would be great but no word on that yet that I've seen.

24Hz support does amuse me given the gnashing of teeth over how that is lacking on the AppleTV.

Trace

Banned
Same. I've read that 120hz doesn't do much for gaming apart from make the experience a tad smoother. Idk how it's going to benefit the iPad pro in anyway? Anyone who's knowledgeable like to to chime in please?

Edit: Maybe it could benefit pencil users?

120hz makes a huge difference in PC gaming, but in any kind of mobile game or game that uses a controller you probably wouldn't see much of, or any difference.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Same. I've read that 120hz doesn't do much for gaming apart from make the experience a tad smoother. Idk how it's going to benefit the iPad pro in anyway? Anyone who's knowledgeable like to to chime in please?

Edit: Maybe it could benefit pencil users?

Whoever didn't explain to you the principle of of sample and hold to you did you no favors.

You're literally seeing the images double as fast, the only way to do more with a display is to get a lightboost display which would take 120hz at 8ms down to about 1-2ms. CRT phosphor delay is measured in microseconds.

It benefits all.

A gamer is most certainly benefitted being able to manipulate more in the same time period and seeing it faster than a 60hz display. Literally cannot show it anymore clearly. Tech fud next to pseudoscience sickens me.

Apparently the refresh rate of the display changes dynamically depending on the content displayed to save battery life, so if you're watching a 24fps movie it'll update at 24hz.

It'll definitely be beneficial for touchscreen interaction both with thumbs and the apple pencil, latency is already really low for both compared with other capacitive devices but it can go lower.

I have the large ass iPad pro and quite happy with it. I don't see a need to upgrade but if you don't have one already, they're great (if locked to IOS system)

It's quite tiring seeing Apple being almost contatnly LTTP but being praised as pioneers.

Yeah, I guess the experts at DisplayMate don't know what they are talking about.

Conclusions for the iPad Pro 9.7: An Excellent Top Tier Display…

The primary goal of this Display Technology Shoot-Out article series has always been to publicize and promote display excellence so that consumers, journalists and even manufacturers are aware of and appreciate the very best in displays and display technology. We point out which manufactures and display technologies are leading and advancing the state-of-the-art for displays by performing comprehensive and objective scientific Lab tests and measurements together with in-depth analysis. We point out who is leading, who is behind, who is improving, and sometimes (unfortunately) who is back pedaling… all based solely on the extensive objective careful Lab measurements that we also publish, so that everyone can judge the data for themselves as well…

An Outstanding LCD Display

The display on the iPad Pro 9.7 is a Truly Impressive Top Performing Display and a major upgrade to the display on the iPad Air 2. It is by far the best performing mobile LCD display that we have ever tested, and it breaks many display performance records.

---

The iPad Pro 9.7 breaks many new records in display performance for:

Highest Absolute Color Accuracy for any display for Both Color Gamuts (1.35 JNCD), Lowest Screen Reflectance for any mobile display (1.7 percent), Highest Peak Brightness in a full size Tablet for any Picture Level (511 nits), Highest Contrast Rating in High Ambient light (301), and Smallest Color variation with Viewing Angle (all under 2.0 JNCD).

As we show in the Lab Measurements Table section below, the iPad Pro 9.7 delivers uniformly consistent all around Top Tier display performance: one of a small number of displays to ever to get all Green (Very Good to Excellent) Ratings in all test and measurement categories (except for Brightness variation with Viewing Angle, which is the case for all LCDs) since we started the Display Technology Shoot-Out article Series in 2006, an impressive achievement for a display.

While Apple is often first to bring the tech to market due to economies of scale and massive investment in its suppliers (there's a reason the iPad Pro's display is only available with the iPad Pro...), what's often important is the integration with software.

For instance, iOS is colour-aware, so it automatically switches between the sRGB and DCI-P3 colour gamuts depending on the content being shown to ensure nothing is displayed over- or under-saturated. There's stuff like true tone, where the white point of the display matches ambient light. And Apple has been the industry leader as far as colour calibration of its displays goes. The latest part of the story is how the 120hz display in the 10.5" iPad Pro automatically changes its refresh rate to match the content displayed.

laxu

Pencil support will benefit from this the most. Just moving the cursor on a 120+ Hz desktop screen feels much more responsive.

iPad Pro still needs to actually do more than a media consumption device. Surface Pro is miles ahead in this area.

nubbe

I know that using Windows Desktop @ 144Hz is a huge relief for the eyes compared to 60Hz

Companies really should focus more on Hz instead of PPI & 4K

sirap

Lets hope developers actually start optimizing their apps for the Pencil. Outside of Apple's own Notes and a select few apps like Procreate/Paper, drawing feels really sluggish. Penultimate comes to mind...writing anything in that thing is a chore.

reKon

Banned
Gonna definitely play around with this when it hits the store to see if it's really worth it.

The things holding me back from the iPad are still the following:

1) Required use of iTunes

2) Lack of PS4 Remote Play app

I can deal with the lack of customization and lack of functionality in OS navigation (especially when changing settings). But I can't deal with the lack of two items above.

I can settle for 64 GB (although 128GB would be a sweet spot), but come on Apple. Give us a solution where we can just plug the tablet into any Mac or Windows device and drag and drop files.

ss_lemonade

Whoever didn't explain to you the principle of of sample and hold to you did you no favors.

You're literally seeing the images double as fast, the only way to do more with a display is to get a lightboost display which would take 120hz at 8ms down to about 1-2ms. CRT phosphor delay is measured in microseconds.

It benefits all.

A gamer is most certainly benefitted being able to manipulate more in the same time period and seeing it faster than a 60hz display. Literally cannot show it anymore clearly. Tech fud next to pseudoscience sickens me.
I'm guessing this should dramatically lessen the amount of blur you can see in ipad screens when say, scrolling around? Higher hz gives me that benefit in my PC, even outside black frame insertion.

Once you go to 120-144 you can never go back. Saying this as someone who plays most competitive shooters on my 144hz monitor. So buttery smooth.

Gonna definitely play around with this when it hits the store to see if it's really worth it.

I can deal with the lack of customization and lack of functionality in OS navigation (especially when changing settings). But I can't deal with the lack of two items above.

I can settle for 64 GB (although 128GB would be a sweet spot), but come on Apple. Give us a solution where we can just plug the tablet into any Mac or Windows device and drag and drop files.

I just wish Apple Music wasn't complete horse shit on literally everything. Gave it on honest try on my PC and Nexus 6P for a month. It was a pretty brutal month

laxu

I just wish Apple Music wasn't complete horse shit on literally everything. Gave it on honest try on my PC and Nexus 6P for a month. It was a pretty brutal month

Apple's iTunes/App Store team is literally the shittiest designers and programmers they have based on how bad those apps have been for years.

I haven't once connected my iPhone to iTunes in 3-4 years.

iOS is getting "Files", a Files manager that has your local files, and cloud files, all in one place.

image_large.jpg

As for OS navigation, take a look at this.

Tain

PSVR screens are more mobile-sized and 120hz but yeah yeah they're talking about usage I get that.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I'm guessing this should dramatically lessen the amount of blur you can see in ipad screens when say, scrolling around? Higher hz gives me that benefit in my PC, even outside black frame insertion.

That's an instant benefit you can see which is why I avoid slower screen these days.

Basically amount of time is much smaller between frames in this case 8ms vs 16ms.

Strobing is immense though you would need a 440hz monitor to take on a light boost one at 100hz and about 600hz to take on one at 120hz. Insane what they are walking from considering it will be outright fantasy to think of monitors that fast existing.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
120hz should reduce LCD blurring a LOT, no? It's kind of a pain point on an ipads so far, they blur quite a bit when you scroll full screen around.

120hz on a PSVR sure is something else in terms of smoothness and lack of blur, but then again that's OLED.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
It's quite tiring seeing Apple being almost contatnly LTTP but being praised as pioneers.

lol... one other manufacturer did it, only unquestionably the largest single manufacturing platform.. and they are LTTP. get outta here..

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Apple spokeperson never even claimed they were the first with 120hz mobile screen - they claimed they are most likely the first with a variable refresh mobile device screen - which as far as I know is true.

I wanted to upgrade from my 16GB Air 2 for a while and this would definitely be the one to do it (HDR and 120hz on a tablet??) but since then I bought an HP Spectre x360 15 laptop which converts to a tablet with a stylus and I hardly use my iPad anymore. An iPad is a much better tablet experience but I just couldn't justify the price of an upgrade if I have so many redundant technologies.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Apple spokeperson never even claimed they were the first with 120hz mobile screen - they claimed they are most likely the first with a variable refresh mobile device screen - which as far as I know is true.

So basiscally a 120hz screen with a similar functions to gsync/freesync it's even more impressive now.

120hz should reduce LCD blurring a LOT, no? It's kind of a pain point on an ipads so far, they blur quite a bit when you scroll full screen around.

120hz on a PSVR sure is something else in terms of smoothness and lack of blur, but then again that's OLED.

Yes it does reduce. The reason some oled do well in the area you're mentionig is because they use strobing. This article by blurbusters goes more in to why. Not all oled are low pixel persistence vita isn't while the PSVR is.

Ideally any manufacturer tackling this issue wants a fast screen then strobing to get maximum benefit.

Here are some nice photos on the subject.

You can argue if you want there isn't as much as a benefit, yet it clear from photos taken from hi res hi speed cameras you can see tangible benefits. The UFO disc and it's eyes are much more visible at 120hz than they are at 60hz.

Blurbusters is basically what I use to show people real difference in the refreshrate or ULMB. Games are nice but it's hard when they lack benchmarks built for it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
OP's thread title so wrong. Saying it's the first variable refresh mobile device screen is so wrong.
Laptops are typically not being addressed as "mobile" devices (huge laptops especially, I'd add). Mobile device in general discussion usually assumes a phone or a tablet that you can use while moving around.

I don't know of any other phone/tablet with a variable refresh screen - if that's really the case, what they said is not wrong.

The new ipad pro is crazy powerful for a mobile device as well. A10X and an improved GPU, while the android tabs are using old processors from previous years (I am looking at you samsung). Whether you like apple or not, you got to give them credit for what they are doing in the tablet space. They are stepping it up along with microsoft while android tabs are pretty much irrelevant. 120 hz is going to make it even smoother.

I don't quite understand the logic behind this post.

StereoVsn

Files + high refresh = I'm moving my tablet needs to Apple asap.
I have an Air 2 but the new much better display which is also larger in same base size, 256GB storage for large but still manageable pricing, much faster CPU/GPU compared to Air 2 are pushing me over.

The refresh rate and much lower latency is super important for note taking/drawing as well.

Plus I need an Apple device to keep at 10.3.x for a while for 32 bit apps and I can give it to my kids. This is going to be rough on the wallet come the Fall (sorry Switch, you will have to wait).

I wonder if iPhone 7s Plus or 8 will have 120hz refresh as well. Also, Pencil support on that iPhone 8 would be pretty cool.

Top Bottom