• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Spotlight Presentation (their E3 conference) to be 30 Minutes in length

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesther

Oh well, guess it really will only be about games out within the next 6 months. Mario, Xenoblade 2, Rabbids, Pokken, Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem Warriors and maybe some new nindies like Rocket League will easily fill out these 25 minutes.

Fireblend

Banned
The initial press release said the Spotlight will showcase Switch games, while the Treehouse will go in depth on Switch and 3DS games.
Yeah, I feel like people are reading too much into the phrasing in those statements. They're going to at least namedrop the 3DSganes that will be showcased during the Treehouse segment.

Mory Dunz

ok....so would we be going crazy if it was 5 hours?

why not just wait until Tuesday and see what is actually announced before you all lose your heads?

random youtube direct search: Super Mario Maker 3DS was annouced in 1 min 56 seconds on Sept 1.
Smaller games can be announced during treehouse like Ever Oasis in 2016 as well.

Just. Wait.

Jubenhimer

I don't really buy that the Spotlight will be 25 min. I think that's just an estimate. I'm thinking 30 min. at most. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see ANY 2018 games at E3 this year. Nintendo will probably save those for a fall event or something.

sinonobu

Banned
I just realized that American spotlight might be longer.

MHXX has already been revealed at Japan so they will most likely not have that there.

Ōkami

I just realized that American spotlight might be longer.

MHXX has already been revealed at Japan so they will most likely not have that there.
Its the same thing.

The Japanese Direct will be subtitled, it says so on the Japanese site, I wouldn't expect Koizumi to host.

Kudo

25 minutes.. We just had 23 minute direct for one game. Only way they can redeem this is it's 25 minutes of new Metroid Prime.

Neoxon

Im hoping for something more like

2 minutes - Pokemon Ultra Sun/ Ultra Moon
2 minutes - Arms DLC
2 minutes - Splatoon 2
2 minutes - Mario x Rabbids
2 minutes - Fire Emblem Warriors
2 minutes - Third Party Reel
2 minutes - Zelda DLC
2 minutes - Pokken
2 minutes - Xenoblade 2
5 minutes - Super Mario Odyssey
2 minutes - SUPAH SUMASH BRAZZAS DX for Switch Early 2018

Damn even then not too much room for surprises...
No 3DS stuff in the Nintendo Spotlight, remember?

Isn't it getting a Treehouse Live segment like the other major 3DS games.

Definitely. But the Spotlight is a great video for casual viewers to watch in order to catch up on E3 news and there's almost no way Nintendo's biggest seller doesn't make an appearance. They'll probably throw in a quick New 2DS XL plug while they're at it.

Morlas

why are you even trying to assign arbitrary numbers to how long they'll showcase certain games when they literally have 3 days to do just that anyway.

Oddish1

This could mean that Nintendo is putting less emphasis on the Spotlight and putting more emphasis on Treehouse Live and the tournaments. So maybe there won't be any news about ARMS or Splatoon at the Spotlight but instead any news about them will be at their respective tournaments. And it could also mean that there really won't be any 3DS games at the Spotlight and entirely at Treehouse Live. Meaning that the Spotlight is very focused on Switch games that aren't Splatoon, ARMS, or Pokken coming out in 2017 and early 2018 which would explain its short length. I don't think Nintendo has ever had an E3 Direct focused on one console before and this is the result.

Or it could mean Nintendo has no games and are DOOMED!

Why are we limiting Nintendo's e3 time to just the spotlight presentation.

They have 3 days of treehouse coverage to showcase their games.

"Before we start we want to announce that this Spotlight will be innnnnnn sllllooooowwww moooottttiiioonnnnn"
tumblr_nygzawRGh91qzdga6o1_250.gif

NotLiquid

If Nintendo can bust out at least 3 major announcements during the Spotlight I don't want to hear people complain about needing hour long press conferences ever again

Atheerios

Get out with this logic. Nobody in the history of E3 has revealed a game after their E3 presentation.
Nintendo revealed multiple titles in their past Treehouse transmissions, including Star Fox Wii U and Ever Oasis.

And I bet they will do exactly that this year for Mario & Luigi remake.

Here is my unrealistic bingo card. My hype has gone back and forth as I'm not sure what Nintendo can do in a presentation this short. It is plenty of time to announce new games if it's like the April Direct but the 2017 lineup is pretty full so there might not be much to show.
Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/rBvIC4S.jpg[/img]

Mik317

Definitely. But the Spotlight is a great video for casual viewers to watch in order to catch up on E3 news and there's almost no way Nintendo's biggest seller doesn't make an appearance. They'll probably throw in a quick New 2DS XL plug while they're at it.

I think you are putting waaay too much value on the spotlight. Pokemon will get its own trailer and probably trend rather high on you tube from that. As will most of the announcements....

I can almost guarantee you an exception will be made for Pokemon.

There's really no reason to, though. It was announced seven days before E3, and they said in the Pokemon Direct that they would share more info on it later this year. I'd say the mere fact the Pokemon Direct was so close to E3 signals that it won't be at E3 at all, because they're gonna focus on Switch and save Pokemon hype for September/ October.

Doorman

It's like everyone's forgotten the past several years of Nintendo E3s and the way they've been handling coverage.

Yes, we got a 23 minute direct recently to show off all of the characters and features in ARMS. No game is going to get anything nearly like that during the spotlight itself, nor do they need to. Full gameplay demonstrations and function rundowns and that sort of stuff will all be saved for the Treehouse segments, where there'll be more than enough time to get into the nitty-gritty of whatever they have playable at the show. Even big titles like Mario Odyssey don't need more than a trailer and a few extra words during the spotlight, it's not the venue for systems explanations or full breakdowns or any of the sort.

This isn't going to be run like a Sony press conference where you see a "live demo" of someone slowly traipsing through an early game environment in an attempt to show off all the cool new tech and literally explain features while they're playing. Nintendo's games will still have all of that, just not as a part of its first video stream. Again, that's what Treehouse will be for. The spotlight can be based around announcements and quick, punchy trailers, and the time they're allotting will be plenty to cover what they most need to in that context. I don't personally expect more than one Nintendo-published game to be shown that isn't coming until 2018--maybe two if everyone's random expectation of a delay for Xenoblade comes true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom