• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Ybarra: Unlocked extra GB of RAM for Scorpio, now 9GB of GDDR5 for devs

Theorry

https://twitter.com/XboxQwik/status/872834422675873792

yeo8wZ1.jpg

stobNz5.jpg

Quonny

At what point does RAM not matter anymore since it seems that these consoles are bottlenecked by the CPU?

I'm ignorant on the matter, so I'm genuinely asking.

Adam_802

Wow thats really great. MS has done everything right with Scorpio so far, now they just need to show some great games at E3!!

Robin64

"We’ll keep tuning Scorpio to empower creators to share the best versions of their games."

So Scorpio will have games better on there than their version on PC? Because if not, don't say this.

Wow, Nice! I wonder if that was something the devs requested or that Xbox saw they could do, so they did?

Either way, 4 more GB than Xbox One has available is a pretty big boost. How much does PS4 Pro have available for devs, 5.5GB?

So this is 1 GB being freed up from the 4GB reserved for OS/Apps? Or how else are they doing it?

Yes - it was previously 3GB reserved on the current X1, presumbly it was initially higher on Scorpio because rendering apps with native 4K assets would take more memory... perhaps the dashbaord is 1080P? ;P

(Probably not, XAML scales super nicely to DPI changes which is why a lot of "native" Windows 10 UI is built with it too)

Adam_802

"We’ll keep tuning Scorpio to empower creators to share the best versions of their games."

So Scorpio will have games better on there than their version on PC? Because if not, don't say this.

Well, Scorpio will run games better than most PCs out there on average so...

Chris1

Ybarra just tweeted this aswell

"Games that don’t use the full 9GB, the rest of the RAM will be used as a cache (making things load way faster, etc.). All games = better."

Sweep14

Does it even matter when its bottlenecked by CPU?

jesus a i3 would be better then what is in these machines

Biggest problem coming from this positive news is the disparity between X1 and Scorpio regarding memory pools and sizes. Could be problematic IMHO when developing a game for both platforms.

Top Bottom