• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ark Dev Talks XBox One X Update / Release

Gowans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNINqHxWQB0 [6:23]

Aiming for 60fps [no mention of resolution] (no way it will be 4k)
More possible with increased memory and bandwidth for draw distance, models and textures
Cross play / Play Anywhere version coming with Xbox One X version

Geoff presses for comments on difference with PS4 Pro and XBO X

After putting hundreds of hours in on release with a mate at sub 720 in preview really interested to see what they can squeeze out of the X.
Will be nice to go back and have someone take their finger out of my eye.

Gowans

So much in the game I don't recognise since game preview, doesn't look like the same game.

Good to hear it's coming out of preview, it's about time.

Looks like a gazillion times better than the current xbone version XD

And lol at that unintentional jab of the Pro the developer did. When he realized what he said xD

He also mentions the graphics settings on the One X are going to be the max PC epic settings.

Whereas the current graphics settings on console are more in line with medium.

Geoff pressed him to compare the Pro vs the X and Jesse says he estimates the power difference is 50% and the upgrades they are doing on the X just wouldn't be possible on the Pro due to the amount of RAM accessible to devs.

Hylian7

So much in the game I don't recognise since game preview, doesn't look like the same game.

Good to hear it's coming out of preview, it's about time.

They've added lots of crazy shit since you played. The volcano is active now, There's these whale things that attack boats.

Proelite

Why is variable framerate being touted as a feature?

Maybe I should list dynamic crashing as one for my app.

Jemm

I have mostly ignored this game after seeing some earlier screenshots and videos. Now I need to follow it more closely as it has improved a lot!

GHG

This guy did a better job of selling the console than Microsoft did yesterday. They should have given this guy some stage time.

But yeh... The Ark devs have always been a bit ambitious in their claims regarding performance.

I got the impression that he was very pleased with the XB1X. He had some really good things to say about it. Good to hear, I'm looking forward to getting mine.

RoKKeR

Played a good chunk of this game in Game Preview last year, would be super interesting to return on the X once it's finally out.

MoogleMan

Bullshit.

Yeah, I was about to ask, are they going to all of a suddemn make the PC version not run like a steaming pile of shit on settings that make the game look decent on higher end hardware?

Good luck at that 60fps lol. ARK devs deserve zero trust for anything.

I'd be shocked if they hit a stable 60fps. The game is horribly optimised. Hopefully though.

LOL, 60 FPS? Top of the line PC's can't even hit constant 60. Unless this is the final release and will be optimized

The game is pretty much done with content additions until release, which is august 8th.

From then until now will be bugfixes and optimizations.

MoogleMan

Okay, what the hell is this game? Can anyone give a real quick summary?

Sci-fi survival.
Mostly prehistoric creatures but some other fantasy creatures too (deathworms, wyverns, the just added griffin, etc.). You tame them, breed them, explore, etc.

Mostly built for pvp, but it can have some amazing rp too. Modding community is amazing. Avoid official servers unless you find a good one, or until the glitches and exploits are fixed. Unofficial servers are best with some qol mods and a group of like minded individuals.

Right now there's the base game and a single paid expansion, two free expansion maps, and a free total conversion expansion. There will be two more paid expansions once the game fully releases this august.

You just missed a sale where you could get the base game+scorched earth expansion for under $20. They go on sale frequently though. Price will increase at launch, at least for the base game.

Performance isn't great, but I have no problem running it on high with a few things turned down. I get 40-60+fps depending on where I am. gtx 980 ti, 4790k, 32gb ram.

Easily the best survival game available aside from minecraft, and the numbers support that.

Top Bottom