• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass on Switch Update 1.2 Released (Time Trials + Frame Pacing Fix)

Nicko

Snake Pass on Nintendo Switch just received update 1.2, which introduces some new features, improves performance, and seems to break something as well.

Updates I've noticed so far:

1. Introduction of Time Trials and Leaderboards for every level - (currently #1 on Gatekeeper Gardens!)

2. Noticably improved frame rate and performance - (Only checked portable mode. Frame pacing issues seem resolved. Even dense levels seem to drop frames much less)

3. Improved loading times across the board

4. Updated Switch home screen icon - Not sure why they updated this

Also, strangely, the HD rumble seems extremely strong and loud again (pre-patch 1.1), and is especially annoying when starting a level. Seems like they forgot to roll the rumble fix from 1.1 forward...

Anyone notice any other changes? I've had a blast with this game, and am happy to see it getting additional support! On to Time Trials!

Update: Official Patch Notes (Thanks Tunesmith!):

platform agnostic patch notes as per nintendo life: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...for_switch_adds_time_trial_mode_and_lots_more

- TIME TRIAL AND LEADERBOARDS: Time Trial mode is now available for Nintendo Switch players. Battle it out against friends to see who can make it to the top of the leader boards with the quickest time
- TAIL GRAB: fixed a bug where Tail Grab was unreliable
- TIME TRIAL: fixed a TT exploit where players could get a time of zero
- TIME TRIAL: fixed an issue in Time Trial where some players could not complete the level
- TIME TRIAL: fixed an issue in Time Trial that prevented the timer from not displaying correctly
- LEVEL 11: fixed an issue where the ball would activate incorrectly for some players
- QUETZALCOATL ACHIEVEMENT: fixed an issue with Quetzalcoatl not triggering correctly for some players. If players have previously reached the requirements, playing a level without dying again should trigger the achievement.
- FLOOR IS MOLTEN ROCK ACHIEVEMENT: The Floor Is Molten Rock achievement now triggers correctly
- CAMERA: fixed an issue where the camera did not move as fast as intended
- LEVEL 9: fixed an issue where the camera would not move for some players making the level unplayable
- TAIL GRAB: fixed an issue where Noodle would move faster than intended while Doodle was holding his tail
- GAME ICONS: all platforms have updated game icons
- GENERAL FIXES AND PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS

Update 2: Sumo Digital is looking to fit the HD rumble break ASAP:

Cool deal. Also, we're currently looking into fixing the rumble asap.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
platform agnostic patch notes as per nintendo life: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...for_switch_adds_time_trial_mode_and_lots_more

- TIME TRIAL AND LEADERBOARDS: Time Trial mode is now available for Nintendo Switch players. Battle it out against friends to see who can make it to the top of the leader boards with the quickest time
- TAIL GRAB: fixed a bug where Tail Grab was unreliable
- TIME TRIAL: fixed a TT exploit where players could get a time of zero
- TIME TRIAL: fixed an issue in Time Trial where some players could not complete the level
- TIME TRIAL: fixed an issue in Time Trial that prevented the timer from not displaying correctly
- LEVEL 11: fixed an issue where the ball would activate incorrectly for some players
- QUETZALCOATL ACHIEVEMENT: fixed an issue with Quetzalcoatl not triggering correctly for some players. If players have previously reached the requirements, playing a level without dying again should trigger the achievement.
- FLOOR IS MOLTEN ROCK ACHIEVEMENT: The Floor Is Molten Rock achievement now triggers correctly
- CAMERA: fixed an issue where the camera did not move as fast as intended
- LEVEL 9: fixed an issue where the camera would not move for some players making the level unplayable
- TAIL GRAB: fixed an issue where Noodle would move faster than intended while Doodle was holding his tail
- GAME ICONS: all platforms have updated game icons
- GENERAL FIXES AND PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS

Nicko

Is resolution any better?

Hard to say.. Just checked docked mode as well as portable, and both seem similar as before. If they did improve the resolution, it wasn't by much.

But there is a tangible improvement to the visuals simply because the camera pans so much more smoothly and without frame stutters.

Luigiv

Is resolution any better?

Probably not. It's still pretty blurry (though it's been too long since I last played for me to say if it's any more or less blurry). Loading times are fantastic now, though.

Edit 2: Actually forget the numbers, lets wait for something more scientific.

Nicko

Quick question. Have you updated the Switch firmware to 3.0 yet?

Yes I sure have. Good point. Perhaps this performance boost is related?

I'm seriously amazed at how well this game is running on the most densely packed levels. Feels like a huge improvement.

Fredrik

Cool!
Still one of my favorite games on Switch. Played through it with my kids and they absolutely loved it.

Luigiv

That's still excellent.

Yeah defiantly. Though I'd like to point out I wasn't actually counting, so don't take it as gospel.

Edit: Actually I may have been a bit slowwitted, tried counting and seems like it was closer to 10s post patch. Still an improvement but maybe not as drastic as I originally though. It definitely feels a lot shorter though.

Yes I sure have. Good point. Perhaps this performance boost is related?

I'm seriously amazed at how well this game is running on the most densely packed levels. Feels like a huge improvement.

Does it still run in SUB SD! in handheld mode and Sub HD in Docked mode?

If so, no thanks, nobody should* support garbage like that.

*of course you can buy whatever you want

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Add an "Easy Mode, you keep what you've collected when you fall off the world."-toggle please and the game will be perfect. Make it ineligible for time trials to eliminate exploiting.

Just personal preference. :)

The love/hate relationship I have with this game just because of the check-pointing system and it's counter-exploration approach is something else.

J@hranimo

Banned
Just tried out the game with the patch and...wow! The camera speed is much faster now! Will definitely help with traversing the trickier places to get those pesky coins. Also one level in particular in the last world isn't running sub-30fps anymore. Great.

The rumble is stronger now, but I'm using the Pro Controller and those rumble motors tend to be more subtle compared to the joycons, so I'm guessing the joycons are rattling now. Despite the rumble, good job Sumo Digital :)

Edit: Wait what's with this new icon?

Putosaure

Amazing update, the game feels way better to play ! (except the rumble part)

I noticed a lot more pop-in though, and some weird artefacts in the water for example (only tested level 8).

The icon change is... unfortunate to say the least.

bumpkin

Amazing update, the game feels way better to play ! (except the rumble part)

I noticed a lot more pop-in though, and some weird artefacts in the water for example (only tested level 8).

The icon change is... unfortunate to say the least.
Yeah, that's the one change I really don't understand. I thought the icon it had before was fine, it at least had the game's title/logo on it.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
+1 to the "why was the icon changed" crowd. The new one is just way less appealing across the board. I guess it's visible from further away for over the shoulder watching people? I don't know..

Did they adjust the physics? I feel like was able to cheat a bit more today just worming straight up walls... I'm not complaining but just curious! Life seemed easier, like noodle had a bit of extra power in him.

Camera is much nicer with the improved speed - still minor frame drops on panning but with the proper frame pacing now it doesn't actually bother me any more.

BizzyBum

Damn, the camera speed change is great, much faster now. Of course this is all patched after I get 100%!

Does completing all the developer TT's unlock anything?

The port was already good, now it´s pretty much perfect.
The snappier camera improves gameplay a lot and the graphics look very smooth without the frampacing issues (only tested handheld mode).

Now give us a part 2 please Sumo, I already 100%ed it and I don´t really like time trials.
Especially not for this game, because it´s so relaxing and meditative. :)

Any reward for all Time Trial trophies?

A sense of personal satisfaction. The best of rewards :p

Playing again after the patch on the Tube made me remember why I stopped playing during my commute - the constant rattling and motion of the tube / trains / buses make playing this game incredibly swear worthy. Not one to play on a road trip :p

Top Bottom