• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam has 67m MAU, 33m DAU, 1.5m new buyers per month

we all like to compare the big platforms, so here is some new data about Steam
DDrl3R9XsAAMTub.jpg:large

credits to ZhugeEX on Twitter - i just stole the picture
source and more interesting slides:
https://steamcn.com/t285548-1-1

PSN MAU 70m
Steam MAU 67m
Xbox Live MAU 55m

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
That's great news.

I wonder how EA feels about missing out on that entire market

they probably feel like they'd rather keep that 30%

activision is probably gonna go the same route using battlenet for all their big games, after Overwatch did huge numbers.

Still, it's been interesting to watch Steam grow into what it is today. I just wish they'd modernize it some. The interface is shit and has been largely untouched for years and years.

They should also spend some money fixing their customer service problem.

Xbox is 52m

i used the peak 55m figure from Q4 2016
MAU obviously fluctuate each month
we also don't know if the 70m PSN figure is the peak of Sonys FY, the average for the year, or the number for March 2017

if some one wants a more detailed picture, here is the quarterly change
C-cg1igXgAAv5RM.jpg

Did you made up the abbrevations MAU and DAU?
no. it's commonly used as Monthly Active User
it's well known instead of "MAP - Monthly Active player"

Shin

Banned
Still missing a big chunk of players from the equation (I wonder how they got these numbers in the search).
I think it was Jack Tretton that said there were 2 billion gamers around the world and 200m in the US alone.
I wonder where all those players are cuz it Steam+PSN+XBL doesn't even come close to even half of that.

On-topic: looking at this image it makes sense what they are saying about growth.

1208d6f489.png

Stuy999

Neo Member
Did you made up the abbrevations MAU and DAU?

Have you been under a rock for the last year and a half?

Microsoft has been reporting it's consumer interest purely as 'MAU' for about 18 months now, and DAU is a pretty obvious extension of that.

Mikey Jr.

When I start my computer, and it auto logs me into Steam, am I considered MAU even though I do nothing with it?

Ploid 3.0

That's great news.

Just because they aren't on steam doesn't mean they are missing out on some of that market. EA is big enough for people to know when it's games are out. Sure some people are steam or nothing but those people probably aren't enough to miss out on their own marketplace and full better profit per sale.

Mohasus

I wonder where all those players are cuz it Steam+PSN+XBL doesn't even come close to even half of that.

Mobile and other games not included on steam, like League of Legends, Overwatch, Crossfire and WoW.

When I start my computer, and it auto logs me into Steam, am I considered MAU even though I do nothing with it?

From the wording, it seems like you would be included in users but not in active players.

Mikey Jr.

Probably. But the real question is: why would you have Steam set to auto login if you never use it?

Just installed it a few years ago, and just starts up every time I turn my computer on.

Doesn't really bother me nor do I even pay attention to it.

Wiggy

Still missing a big chunk of players from the equation (I wonder how they got these numbers in the search).
I think it was Jack Tretton that said there were 2 billion gamers around the world and 200m in the US alone.

On-topic: looking at this image it makes sense what they are saying about growth.

1208d6f489.png

Everyone else is trying to buy switches

napata

Is a monthly active player the same as a monthly active user?

User seems to imply that you get included just by using the service whereas player seems to indicate someone actually playing a game.

League of Legends has over 100m monthly active players
Supercell has over 100m daily active players
(both outdated numbers, if you have newer ones hit me up)

just to name a few...

So you're skewing the figures to purposely show Xbox in a positive light as you always do?

The latest number is 52m.
lol didn't know you're into console war stuff, too
good to know

C4Lukins

Yeah Steam is ripping it up. But I like loved them as a developer first. Half Life, Portal, Left for Dead, CoGo, Team Whatever!!!! and so on. They have become the bad guys.....

JusDoIt

1208d6f489.png

Mobile.

JimmyMarrow

Neo Member
Wow. I remember building a new PC and buying Half Life 2 at launch and during the install thinking...

"Steam? What is this bullcrap?"

dex3108

Obviously TF2, CSGO, DOTA2 and VR games don't count as real games. Everyone knows that.

Maintaining games that are GaaS is not the same as making new games. Also only VR game they have released is The Lab and that is just a demo.

PC gaming is getting more and more accessible. It's only a matter of time before the console industry has to react and offer better exclusives (maybe free online again!!!) to encourage people to keep buying into their ecosystems.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's great news.

It's been more than half a decade now, so evidently ignoring Steam is working out well enough, but I am of the opinion that EA is leaving some money on the table. Its preferred performance metric changed from total number of accounts to the even more nebulous total number of "installs" (i.e. client downloads) and its Steam stuff always flies up the top sellers list when on sale, so I'm inclined to think that Origin has not had the level of growth that EA had hoped, which, at this point -- after years of high-profile non-Steam releases -- is unlikely to change.

I still maintain that EA will eventually release its Origin games on Steam, complete with Uplayesque client integration, although it'd probably dip its toes in first as Microsoft is currently doing with its WinStore stuff (minus the client integration, although Killer Instinct may change that).

Edit: Some info on the upcoming client overhaul:
025645iskiphopz1drd2hh.jpg

025700jnzflv3nzuupd95z.jpg

025710qlsyo4g8i4mzdzzy.jpg

How many of those PSN users are PS3 users and how many actually have PS+ I wonder.
only Sony knows the breakdown
if you use a Sony Smart TV, or buy Videos / Music form PSN, you're also an active user. Don't even need a console at all.

26.4 million current PS+ subscriber

Steam cannot shrink due to its nature. It can only grow.
how so?
if less people play and use Steam the number will decline for a month or period of time.

or do you talk about their "active account" metric and how they define that?
because that number can only grow, that is kind of correct

JaseC

or do you talk about their "active account" metric and how they define that?
because that number can only grow, that is kind of correct

Earlier in the year, I confirmed with Valve that Nathaniel Blue misspoke at Steam Dev Days 2014 and an active account is one that owns a game (store purchase/retail key activation) and has been online in the past 90 days, not or. That being said, it's something of a moot point as the metric has seemingly been retired.

Earlier in the year, I confirmed with Valve that Nathaniel Blue misspoke at Steam Dev Days 2014. An active account is one that owns a game (store purchase/retail key) and has been online in the past 90 days, not or.
good to know and makes more sense
we need to spread the word on this matter ;)

Do phones count at MS/Sony? Because I don't know how MS can be so close to Sony, even with their windows store.

XBox Live User are Console, PC and Mobile

not sure about Sony, do they have a PSN platform on mobile phones?
but as i said, they also have Smart TVs where you can buy Videos and you need a PSN account for that
those numbers are probably low anyway, but they count towards the total

For me the real news is that there are still more PSN active users than Steam users. That's kind of crazy considering how many PCs are out there versus PS consoles. Xbox is not far behind either, making the console market twice as big as PC. Between that and the insane number of indie games on PC, no wonder the only way to make money with them is to go console.

XBox Live User are Console, PC and Mobile
not sure about Sony, do they have a PSN platform on mobile phones?
but as i said, they also have Smart TVs where you can buy Videos and you need a PSN account for that

Well, in that case, if you don't have a PSN account, you would buy videos from other, more famous places. I don't think Sony TVs only have Sony apps.

JaseC

Yeah, "or" would make sense insofar that it would include those who play F2P games exclusively, but it would also mean that dormant accounts with an owned product -- such as my original one, which hasn't been accessed in over a decade -- are counted. I'm glad it was a slight slip of the tongue.

Lucumo

Meh, bad news. I hope some more consumer-friendly platforms will grow competitive but I rather doubt it.

Well, in that case, if you don't have a PSN account, you would buy videos from other, more famous places. I don't think Sony TVs only have Sony apps.
obviously if you don't use the Sony service, your not an active PSN user

Yeah, "or" would make sense insofar that it would have included those who play F2P games exclusively, but it also would have meant that dormant accounts with an owned product -- such as my original one, which hasn't been accessed in over a decade -- were being included. I'm glad it was a slight slip of the tongue.
isn't a Dota 2 download a "free purchase"?
a free Games with Gold download is also a free purchase on XBox Live
anyway, i'm sure Dota 2 only players are counted as their biggest game

Meh, bad news. I hope some more consumer-friendly platforms will grow competitive but I rather doubt it.
irony?
Battle.net has 41 million MAU

JaseC

isn't a Dota 2 download a "free purchase"?
a free Games with Gold download is also a free purchase on XBox Live
anyway, i'm sure Dota 2 only players are counted as their biggest game

Nah. It's in the package that is automatically registered to accounts upon creation. Games registered via Free on Demand packages don't count, either.

Edit: It would count as owned in cases where Valve added it to the account during the closed beta phase or the account owner activated a gift copy/retail key, though.

For me the real news is that there are still more PSN active users than Steam users. That's kind of crazy considering how many PCs are out there versus PS consoles. Xbox is not far behind either, making the console market twice as big as PC. Between that and the insane number of indie games on PC, no wonder the only way to make money with them is to go console.

Pretty funny post.

Top Bottom