• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Indie Game Development Thread 2: High Res Work for Low Res Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATTN: DMX fans, Bonnie Tyler fans, DDR/Stepmania fans, Guitar Hero/Rock Band fans, comedy game fans, and people who are none of those things:
Here is a demo of my upcoming comedy rhythm game starring rapper DMX. It is still in alpha stages, made in GM: Studio 1.4, but this level is mostly complete. Please try and enjoy.

DMX Presents: Super-Unnecessary Hypeman Hero
(the sequel to my cruddy first Gamemaker game, DMX Presents: Unnecessary Hypeman Hero which released to critical acclaim*)
22205-nbmr2bgf.jpg

(logo from the first game)

Screenshot:
q2e6%2Fk.png

Story (Tentative):
Hardcore 90's rapper DMX endeavors to apply his hypeman skills to songs with a "gentler" message. Can you help him renounce his derogatory past and redeem himself?

Link and Technical requirements:
https://dude902.itch.io/dmxhero2?password=cctest
Only tested on a Windows 7 computer. Plays best in Chrome, may have audio issues in Firefox (which, being a rhythm game, is a big issue). Also, it runs smoother for me if I restart the browser before playing, so I recommend doing that if it's not too much of an inconvenience.

I would appreciate feedback on the overall look and feel, stuff like fonts, visual feedback, and the positioning of hud elements. Also, I really want to know if you found it enjoyable or funny, and which of the above categories you fit into (fans of DMX are most appreciated). My best friend has a lot of experience with rhythm games and doesn't care for DMX, and he found it boring and too easy. Also, I'm interested how it looks on a 120hz monitor, since it should run at 120fps.

Misc.:
Lastly, if someone has a PS3/PS2 guitar controller and can test if the four colored buttons are mapped properly, I would really appreciate it. I have been told 360 guitar controllers work already (on the windows executable version, it is unclear to me if all controllers work on the HTML5 exported version).

*lmao not really, but the first game I made got a 4.5 rating on Gamejolt with 29 ratings, $4.30 in ad revenue, 14.7k views, 1.7k downloads, and multiple youtube videos

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I always loved this one personally

somehow brilliantly perfect.
ATTN: DMX fans, Bonnie Tyler fans, DDR/Stepmania fans, Guitar Hero/Rock Band fans, comedy game fans, and people who are none of those things:
Here is a demo of my upcoming comedy rhythm game starring rapper DMX. It is still in alpha stages, made in GM: Studio 1.4, but this level is mostly complete. Please try and enjoy.

DMX Presents: Super-Unnecessary Hypeman Hero
(the sequel to my cruddy first Gamemaker game, DMX Presents: Unnecessary Hypeman Hero which released to critical acclaim*)
22205-nbmr2bgf.jpg

(logo from the first game)

Story (Tentative):
Hardcore 90's rapper DMX endeavors to apply his hypeman skills to songs with a "gentler" message. Can you help him renounce his derogatory past and redeem himself?

Link and Technical requirements:
https://dude902.itch.io/dmxhero2?password=cctest
Only tested on a Windows 7 computer. Plays best in Chrome, may have audio issues in Firefox (which, being a rhythm game, is a big issue). Also, it runs smoother for me if I restart the browser before playing, so I recommend doing that if it's not too much of an inconvenience.

I would appreciate feedback on the overall look and feel, stuff like fonts, visual feedback, and the positioning of hud elements. Also, I really want to know if you found it enjoyable or funny, and which of the above categories you fit into (fans of DMX are most appreciated). My best friend has a lot of experience with rhythm games and doesn't care for DMX, and he found it boring and too easy. Also, I'm interested how it looks on a 120hz monitor, since it should run at 120fps.

Misc.:
Lastly, if someone has a PS3/PS2 guitar controller and can test if the four colored buttons are mapped properly, I would really appreciate it. I have been told 360 guitar controllers work already (on the windows executable version, it is unclear to me if all controllers work on the HTML5 exported version).

*lmao not really, but the first game I made got a 4.5 rating on Gamejolt with 29 ratings, $4.30 in ad revenue, 14.7k views, 1.7k downloads, and multiple youtube videos
I'm not particularly a DMX fan or anything, but I got the comedy aspect. The difficulty was just so low that I lost all interest within a few notes. Anyone who's every played a guitar hero type game would be bored with that game rather immediately which is bad because I think that's part of your target audience.

ONWARD TO THREAD 3

PB2UUIw.gif
is it my imagination or does he have a very blocky wang?

missile

Tried to make some ambients.

Colored light source lighting up the volume;

8pq9rYI.gif

NX37r9B.gif

FpR3i5C.gif

In the following images I tried to reproduce the haze you see around cities.
The difference is that the scattering of the light with particles has a
different characteristic due to the different particles (and their sizes) in
the haze (aerosol).

For those technically interested, I used the following phase function;
Code:
float scatter_mie_haze(float angle)
{
  float r = (1.0f+angle)/2.0f;
  r = powf(r, 8.0f);
  r *= 9.0f/2.0f;
  r += 0.5f;
  r /= 4.0f*M_PIf;  
  return r;
}

Result;

U8GJcAT.gif

0Za0CQc.gif

4x the density

UXgqdOr.gif

4x the density + 4x the light

MimiMe

Got myself hired as a consultant again. 2 days well paid work a week and I can keep gamedev up while having time for the kid and sports. Guess I couldn't have asked for more as I was afraid going into a full scheduled week again.

I always loved this one personally

oh boy. that's a bingo.

@missile
mate, how many hours are in between those gifs? There is some discipline going on in your household.

missile

really good progress! just how I imagined it to look like when you first mentioned it.
Thx mate. Will see if I can make it look a lil more artistically.

Got myself hired as a consultant again. 2 days well paid work a week and I can keep gamedev up while having time for the kid and sports. Guess I couldn't have asked for more as I was afraid going into a full scheduled week again. ...
Sounds good! How is your game(dev) going btw?

... @missile
mate, how many hours are in between those gifs? There is some discipline going on in your household.
Yeah, right! I need to clean up! xD I assembled a new dresser, yesterday, and
the boxes are still scattered all over the place. Well, second batch of images
didn't took that long. I was just tinkering with some of the parameters.

I still love this one from the last OT suggestions:

Or a slight tweak:

GAF Indie Game Dev |OT3| WANTED: Full Time Artist Willing to Work for Free

TBH, there does seem to be an influx of people with no programming skills to speak of trying to get by without programming skills or partnering up with a programmer. Perhaps the new title could reflect the new trend.

Indie Game Dev |OT3| Who needs programmers, blueprint 4 lyfe!

*shrug* you get the picture. I for one enjoy programming and and will continue looking for free artists lol

Huh, I didn't realize this was a thing, but I guess I fall into that category. Sort of. I'm a programmer who has been trying to find an artist to team up with for quite a while. I don't want them to work for free though... just build the game and split profits 50/50, which I think is fair. But man... it's tough out there. I so wish that I had even an inkling of artistic talent. I've tried and it's just not pretty lol.

missile

That looks amazing missile :) Wish I could have something similar in my own game :D
I think you can have it in Holy Sheep as well. At least the volume shadows
shouldn't be a huge problem in Unity. Pretty sure there are some packages or
sample code around for Unity. Ask Chris Murphy, he uses something like it in
his game.

MimiMe

Sounds good! How is your game(dev) going btw?

Just started developing again after thinking and re-thinking a lot of stuff.
Plattform? Genre? Public Fundings? Timeline? etc

So many ideas lurking in my head but finding one to work on which incorporates stuff for later games and is realizable in a reasonable timeframe wasn't easy.

Felt great to start working on a prototype again after all this PR time but I forgot how annoying VR development is ^^

/edit
of course while enjoying time with my kid and still doing a gazillion hours of sport and being visited by people that come to "see the baby". always thinking "I could work on my game now. Why do you have to see the baby? Baby doesn't care" :D

missile

NOT MY WORK ...
Looks cool.

Just started developing again after thinking and re-thinking a lot of stuff.
Plattform? Genre? Public Fundings? Timeline? etc

So many ideas lurking in my head but finding one to work on which incorporates stuff for later games and is realizable in a reasonable timeframe wasn't easy.

Felt great to start working on a prototype again after all this PR time but I forgot how annoying VR development is ^^

/edit
of course while enjoying time with my kid and still doing a gazillion hours of sport and being visited by people that come to "see the baby". always thinking "I could work on my game now. Why do you have to see the baby? Baby doesn't care" :D
Alright. New pix in OT3 then, I guess? Btw; Cleaned everything up.
Time for some new stuff! :D

I'm not particularly a DMX fan or anything, but I got the comedy aspect. The difficulty was just so low that I lost all interest within a few notes. Anyone who's every played a guitar hero type game would be bored with that game rather immediately which is bad because I think that's part of your target audience.

Thank you for the feedback. It's not totally the case that guitar hero fans are part of my target audience. Truthfully the game is a parody of rhythm games and people who take them too seriously. Besides, who would play this goofy DMX game if it was extremely difficult? I suppose I could reduce the time-ranges for pressing buttons and speed up the song, but it really ruins the flow if someone totally misses one of the notes. In fact I did that for one level, a small section of Through the Fire and Flames, which is a bonus joke level and it's totally pointless and silly. Does this sounds like I'm justifying bad gameplay? I suppose it might, but it's not a very serious game.

Makai

I thought the next OT was coming days ago, the OP certainly has a lot of information to update though, so I can see taking quite some time.
Coincided with me doing a 7000 mile cross country drive from NYC through the South to Death Valley then up to Seattle. :p

Almost done driving though. Mod said it was fine to delay for a few pages since 400 isn't a hard limit, just a suggestion. So don't stress :)

Makai

Where have you been? Vacation?
Moving + vacation. Usually I drive for 12-16 hours and go to sleep. Or touristy stuff while I'm somewhere. Or friends/family. I've written most of the thread but need to edit it, etc. Anyway there's no site-decreed immediate rush to get the thread out, so carry on. :p

Journey ends this week.

Still a little rough around the edges, but making some progress on the next dungeon for the game I'm working on. Trying to go for a tundra-esc biome, though it's been a bit difficult matching some of the amazing pictures I've seen.

fresquito

Still a little rough around the edges, but making some progress on the next dungeon for the game I'm working on. Trying to go for a tundra-esc biome, though it's been a bit difficult matching some of the amazing pictures I've seen.
You might want to have the oppossite approach. Instead of snow circles, ground circles.

Mik2121

What do you plan to have as the environment, and what are the images you found as reference?

You might want to have the oppossite approach. Instead of snow circles, ground circles.

That's an interesting idea, but I don't know if I can do that. We're using a procedural dungeon generator and I only have so much I can do with it. It makes me think that I need more breakup with the perimeter snow, might help out a bit.

Unless if you mean just color swapping the ground and snow piles, that's something I can test out pretty easily. Might look a bit odd though since it'll appear as the dirt being on top of the snow.

What do you plan to have as the environment, and what are the images you found as reference?

I've mostly been looking at pictures like these;

Very dense foliage with these pretty vibrant plants. But there's also pictures like this, where the colors are pretty subdued;

Tried getting something that mixes both in but maybe that just muddles it and I should focus on one instead of the other.

As for the environment itself, to quickly explain it, our game consists of dungeons built out of rooms. There are interiors and exteriors, usually using the same models with slight color variations, and rooms have layout models. So I usually build out the exteriors, try to get a good feel for the environment, then build out the layout model interiors based from that.

For this dungeon specifically, I'd like to get something that feels cold and bleak, but has spots of bright color. The next dungeon is also mostly snow and ice, so I wanted to include some in this dungeon to create a transition into the next. Hope that's what you were looking for, might be more than what you wanted though. Just thought it would be easier to explain my overall approach. Here's some examples from other dungeons as well;

Yeah, unfortunately, I can't do that. Part of the dungeon generation uses a terrain and then places the environment models on top of it. One thing I can look into is cutting circles or breaking up the larger snow drifts a bit. I might be able to break up the larger snow drifts a bit more though.

Edit: One of our programmers is looking into a 'hole' shader/material though. Something where it would render an entire model over the terrain.

Edit2: Scratch that, couldn't get it to work. That being said, talking to my teammates, we're going to push closer to a warmer / fall based scene which I think will get a better feel overall. Something more focused and less muddled in the middle.

missile

Damn, I love dat shit! Who's with me?!

h9z4sra.gif

Edit:

i4ur5rx.gif

cIEPW0b.gif

0aakLBZ.gif

BilCOf0.gif

The light field becomes softer and softer which each animation with the last
two being the same. It's interesting to see how softening the scattering helps
the GI a lot making the last two more more pleasing to look at. That's a cool
benefit (at least one xD).

Pehesse

h9z4sra.gif

Edit:

i4ur5rx.gif

cIEPW0b.gif

0aakLBZ.gif

BilCOf0.gif

Hot damn!

--

On the topic of funny gamedev pics to end the thread with, this one got me good:

https://twitter.com/ParadigmGame/status/864490061823303685

missile

Yeah, we should post more funny devpix in OT3!

I think I can use the scattering stuff for gameplay, like you may need to ride
next behind an object shielding you from getting blinded. That way you can
also see a lil further ahead right next to that object, because there is no
scattering (when using single scattering) withing the shadow volume. Could be
quite interesting.

oxrock

h9z4sra.gif

Edit:

i4ur5rx.gif

cIEPW0b.gif

0aakLBZ.gif

BilCOf0.gif

I want to preface this by saying that I think what you're doing looks pretty cool. I'm just curious if there's a reason why your ship's windshield (or view screen type thing) is displaying a seemingly distorted version of reality. Like, is your ship damaged and perhaps the sensors or the screen itself not quite working right, or perhaps there's radiation or something interfering with the sensor's functionality?

missile

I want to preface this by saying that I think what you're doing looks pretty cool. I'm just curious if there's a reason why your ship's windshield (or view screen type thing) is displaying a seemingly distorted version of reality. Like, is your ship damaged and perhaps the sensors or the screen itself not quite working right, or perhaps there's radiation or something interfering with the sensor's functionality?
You mean the way it's rendered or its content?

Hopeford

Finished the functionality of my dialogue editor. It works wonderfully now! There's surprisingly few glitches, which naturally means there will be something crippling that I'll only find out down the line.

For now, it works great though. I've got my dialogue stuff done in a word document, then the editor spits out actual code, then I can use the editor to assign sprite/background/transitions, then it spits out ready-to-use code straight into my project folder. I might not be mega proud of the game, but I'm a little proud of how this is saving me time.

...One of these days I should pretty it up a little though, it looks kinda awful even if works fine haha.

oxrock

You mean the way it's rendered or its content?

The way it's being rendered.

Edit: I'll just add in some minor updates since I'm the last post anyhow.

I decided to add another questing area to my game today, so now there's a cave where there will be orc and goblin type creatures to fight. I had to go into blender to actually create the cave since unity's terrain system doesn't allow any sort of concave shapes, man am I bad with blender. It's a voxel game however so I'm hoping that expectations remain low in the graphics department. Then I decided that there just HAD to be campfires for resting outside of quest areas, so I went about making a campfire while keeping it as voxel like as possible. I think the point gets across.

8UM1jvw.gif

missile

Finished the functionality of my dialogue editor. It works wonderfully now! There's surprisingly few glitches, which naturally means there will be something crippling that I'll only find out down the line.

For now, it works great though. I've got my dialogue stuff done in a word document, then the editor spits out actual code, then I can use the editor to assign sprite/background/transitions, then it spits out ready-to-use code straight into my project folder. I might not be mega proud of the game, but I'm a little proud of how this is saving me time.

...One of these days I should pretty it up a little though, it looks kinda awful even if works fine haha.
Art style looks very pleasing for me!

It's actually quite realistic. lol No kidding. But it looks quite rough
because of the low resolution.

You won't likely see a GI solution on such a low resolution of that, well,
quality, witout doing multi-sampling. The same holds for the other effects I
did, like DOF, motion blur, and glossy reflection. So I get those without
doing multi-sampling. The technique I use is based on the principle of eye
integration, that is to say (within this context); if you haven't enough
qunatizations levels to represent a given "shade", then spread the computation
over multiple pixels to get the same result when averaging the area together
which is what the eye does when looking at that area from a distance. But the
eye needs the pixels (simulated shades) presented in a given way to not make
out (lessen) any pattern. So I drew from how the rods and cones are
distributed on the retina of the eye which basically plays down to a
Poisson-disc distribution, killing a lot of objectionable patterns esp.
aliasing.

So for example, if you super-sample the scene, to get some cool anti-aliasing,
the best offset pattern needs to follow Poisson-disc distribution. It not only
gives you some AA, but kills much more aliasing than any other distribution
would do, because some of the aliasing is converted to noise which is more
pleasing to look at than seeing aliasing itself. However, all that
Poisson-disc stuff doesn't come for free. Anyhow, that's basically what's
behind my engine, i.e. spreading the effects, which are usually computed from
multi-sampling the scene, over a larger area using one sample per pixel. You
can see it as a form of dithering, i.e. the multi-samples per pixel above are
the multi-bits per pixel (f.e. 8-bit per pixel) you have for producing all the
fine shades, yet you can simulate every shade with just one bit per pixel,
if you have a large enough area!

That way I was able to compute, for example, a DOF effect without needing any
blending working on any bit level, down to 1 bit if needed. So you can have a
pixelized DOF for 2d games as well by DOFing the layers. Layers can be put
over each other without producing aliasing (plus some noise when stacking
lots, seeing as the correct average from a distance), which is impossible to
do with any other distribution of points or patterns. One could think random
would do, but unfortunately it does not. Random noise kills everything. So in
general, putting standard patterns on each other will produce aliasing. That's
why the patterns in off-set printing (CMYK) are carefully rotated, to produce
the least amount of alias using these patterns. The best rotation angel is
reserved for the black pattern (used a lot), K, which is rotated at 45 degrees
having the least influence on the other patterns, because the eye suppresses
aliasing in the diagonal much more (lower resolution, filtered out).

Having said the above, there are limits for my methods nevertheless. With a
resolution too low the eye does sh!t integrating anything. However, by
increasing the screen resolution the effect dramatically improves. Sure, I
can compute these high-res screen at say 4K or 1080p. I did a few, and it
looks really stunning, but I refrain from posting them, because that would be
bullshot'ing. Not only because they won't run in realtime (software rendering
atm), but it's really not my goal doing realistic graphics as odd as it seem.
That's what I leave to the big guys having to justify their huge budgets. xD
No, it's my believe that abusing a more physical plausible model will produce
more cohesive stylized renderings than composing from independent elements
while trying to tweak and bend them until they match up just to break lose on
another part again. The graphics shown for my animation isn't anything final,
resolution will be increased and the physical/model parameters will be
artistically manipulated to draw certain ambients matching the intent of the
game.

... Edit: I'll just add in some minor updates since I'm the last post anyhow.

I decided to add another questing area to my game today, so now there's a cave where there will be orc and goblin type creatures to fight. I had to go into blender to actually create the cave since unity's terrain system doesn't allow any sort of concave shapes, man am I bad with blender. It's a voxel game however so I'm hoping that expectations remain low in the graphics department. Then I decided that there just HAD to be campfires for resting outside of quest areas, so I went about making a campfire while keeping it as voxel like as possible. I think the point gets across.

8UM1jvw.gif
I think we aren't that far away from each other. See, you go the voxel way to
produce something different, away from polygonal graphics/worlds. There are
some huge advantages using voxel and you really need to play to their strength
and put them into some good action. I like voxel graphics a lot, but never
got the mood diving deep into it. I somehow found interest in CSG. There is an
idea I want to try, i.e. ray-voxelize CSG model in realtime getting their
volume distribution etc.. Anyhow. Campfire look cool though.

DemonNite

i4ur5rx.gif

Looking really neat, give me a retro alan wake pls.

I've fallen off the wagon the last few days and struggling to do anything meaningful :/ been staring at the screen poking at things and going in circles.

The previous week I did manage to do a few useful things however such as a working Notes system (please excuse the old english):

WEb0W9Hh.jpg

Added an option to read it also in simple text (this UI is also re-used for in-game Tutorials not shown here)
2SCw7jMh.jpg

Also started to add in usability improvements across the game e.g. context sensitive prompts, flashing outline shader for pick-ups and so on, as seen in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz3TF5D0vsg

Lastly, since I couldn't put my head down to create new mechanics this week, I decided to add a Debug menu to make difficulty testing so much more easier.

fub3k78h.jpg

A bit of progress from yesterday. After talking it over with some teammates, decided to focus more on a fall, warmer feel. Also tried to work in a golden hour lighting scheme which I feel compliments the fall colors. Still have some refinements but I'm liking this a lot better than what I had yesterday.

missile

Looking really neat, give me a retro alan wake pls. ...
Now that you say it.
The Alan Wake devs must have felt similar like me playing around with it.
Never played that game. Was it any good next to the graphics?

... I've fallen off the wagon the last few days and struggling to do anything meaningful :/ been staring at the screen poking at things and going in circles. ...
At times I don't know where to start doing the next thing only to find out
having done not much at the end of the day, yet was so full of momentum! xD

... The previous week I did manage to do a few useful things however such as a working Notes system (please excuse the old english):

WEb0W9Hh.jpg
Nice. Can you make the crucifix shine on the sheet of paper to light it up?

missile

A bit of progress from yesterday. After talking it over with some teammates, decided to focus more on a fall, warmer feel. Also tried to work in a golden hour lighting scheme which I feel compliments the fall colors. Still have some refinements but I'm liking this a lot better than what I had yesterday.
+1 Feels much better.

missile

Since oxrock mentioned the windshield of my craft, I want to make it crack
when hitting hard or when getting utterly fast. Someone knows a simple
algorithm to compute the propagation of cracks? No complex stuff needed here,
just some connected line drawn in a texture that look like a crack pattern.
Would be cool if the crack propagates over time. L-systems? Anyone has some
experience with this?

mabec

Always bugged me how its called Football and very few feets ever get used in the game, maybe make a mode where you strap the controllers on to the feets...

DemonNite

Now that you say it.
The Alan Wake devs must have felt similar like me playing around with it.
Never played that game. Was it any good next to the graphics?

for me I found it a slight disappointment as it changed from the original concept of being an open world type game

At times I don't know where to start doing the next thing only to find out
having done not much at the end of the day, yet was so full of momentum! xD

Again tried to start up another type for a enemy and got a bit further with the idea... lets see where it goes

Nice. Can you make the crucifix shine on the sheet of paper to light it up?

2GFX1llh.jpg

just a quickie for the idea... had to change the original spotlight angle if the Paper is out and go back to the original forward facing angle when its not. Made it subtle as any more than that and it was overpowering

Tain

Coming from the console space to the pc indie space I'm learning how ... arduous the greenlight process can be. Especially for something that is VR focused (I get the sense we jumped into a quagmire with that.)

I'd be curious if anyone here who has successfully greenlight their projects have any advice. When I heard valve was changing things we were hoping to just wait it out, but who knows when valve is gonna valve.

[...]

Am I missing anything else?

I didn't realize this when I put up the Greenlight for Horizon Vanguard, but Valve actually fast-tracks VR games if you reach out to them. You probably still have time. Email the address listed here, I think.

missile

I would think simply having a few frames of transparent overlay would do the trick? ...
Yeah, perhaps I should keep it simple and just use an alpha texture and be
done with it.

... For reference,

https://youtu.be/kXNA6zAf8uw

The simplest propagation would seem to be addition of perpendicular vectors as your rays expand. Having two or three 'states' should do the trick and save you CPU time?
Problem is I need to control the propagation direction over the windshield to
some degree to not annoy the player too much. You are an artist, what would
you say about the following approach; what I imagine is that an artist is free
to define sort energy surface/texture for the windshield and then somehow a
path-finding algorithm is used to propagate the cracks in the direction of
least energy which would control the crack direction to a given degree. The
windshield's energy surface could be modified at runtime depending on the
impact whatever. That way the cracks won't cover important parts of the
windshield all of a sudden when strengthening some parts of the windshield
more than other.

2GFX1llh.jpg

just a quickie for the idea... had to change the original spotlight angle if the Paper is out and go back to the original forward facing angle when its not. Made it subtle as any more than that and it was overpowering
Yeah nice, like that one much better.

oxrock

Art style looks very pleasing for me!

...Sure, I can compute these high-res screen at say 4K or 1080p. I did a few, and it
looks really stunning, but I refrain from posting them, because that would be
bullshot'ing. Not only because they won't run in realtime (software rendering
atm), but it's really not my goal doing realistic graphics as odd as it seem....

I for one would actually like to see them. At the current low res of your pics I was seeing the dithering as more of some kind of screen static effect. That's why I thought maybe there was some kind of sensor interference happening with your ship, haha.

Minamu

Does anyone know if unity's real-time shadows do calculations on objects they don't technically hit? I'm curious if having all level geometry on the same layer is a bad idea. My torches only affect two layers: Torch and LevelGeometry, but there are at least a 100+ objects with that layer attached to it in any given level. I would assume only vertices and faces that are actually nearby and have the shadows on them would be used in calculations, but who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom