• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serkan Toto: Japan's Console Market Went Up 14.8% for first half of 2017

http://www.serkantoto.com/2017/07/04/japan-console-market-2017/

DD3WISlVoAAzezR.jpg

https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/882096570816016384

*3. Nintendo 3DS

Here are the details for the time frame (December 26, 2016 to June 25, 2017):

Hardware sales: 76.51 billion yen (+44% year-on-year)
Software sales: 76.69 billion yen (-4.6%)
Total: 153.2 billion yen (+14.8%)

According to Famitsu, this is the first increase in three years in Japan's console market (when considering the first six months in a year).

It doesn't come as a big surprise that Famitsu is crediting the Switch for the improvement in the first six months of this year.

The new console from Nintendo (7974) was launched worldwide on March 3, but the three months it contributed to the industry were apparently enough to turn a very likely minus into a plus.

Seems like Nintendo has become a contributor to revitalizing a dying Japanese console market.

Mobile games me if old.

Scrawnton

Fantastic.

Bring on the games, Atlus and the rest of the Japanese developers. Hopefully this begins a shift away from 3DS and onto Switch in regards to some of these devs still holding onto the old, yet really popular, handheld.

Zedark

Sounds good. Main contributor here is obviously Switch, but PS4 is also tracking ahead of last year, so great performance for those two!

I made a little chart of the data.

DD4kP__UAAA3rqp.jpg

The Switch sold 1 million + units in four months (remember the Switch has been out for four out of the six month period versus other platforms) and accounted for 33% of recorded hardware sales, with the PS4 at 29% and the 3DS at 28.7%.

Fun fact: the Xbox One only sold 5,093 units in six months in Japan. Ouch!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Would have been quit a bit more without Switch shortages though.

Betty

Banned
More Japanese interest = more Japanese games = hell yes

So glad the mobile phone future dystopia hasn't taken over like I feared it would.

FelipeMGM

Of course Switch is the big main force, but this year even the XB1 is up YoY.

Only Vita, Wii U and PS3 are down and two of these are not manufactured anymore

3ds, ds and mobile gaming more or less killed japanese gaming and put it in an almost chronic handheld ghetto state of mind..

we have finally seen things picking up again with the ps4 as of late.

with the switch being nintendos firts non complete crap handheld hardware. we can hopefully see games with global appeal. And thus more money being infused in japanese games development.

Fiendcode

MåndagSöndag;242555121 said:
3ds, ds and mobile gaming more or less killed japanese gaming and put it in an almost chronic handheld ghetto state of mind..

we have finally seen things picking up again with the ps4 as of late.

with the switch being nintendos firts non complete crap handheld hardware. we can hopefully see games with global appeal.
DS and mobile have been huge globally and 3DS is no slouch either. It's amusing seeing "handheld ghetto" used without irony though.

Zedark

MåndagSöndag;242555121 said:
I can't imagine how terrible the pain must be, when something you don't personally like is successful.

I do love reading the Japanese best selling software list, it's always really refreshing to see the stuff I play actually at the top haha no fifa or GTA in sight (nothing wrong with those mind)

MåndagSöndag;242555370 said:
Perhaps. But it has not exactly fostered top quality games production. The type of games that japan used to be known for.

Huh? The DS and 3DS both have a phenomenal software library.

cw_sasuke

Perhaps. But it has not exactly fostered top quality games production. The type of games that japan used to be known for.

What games would that be ? You act as if FF, MGS, RE, Dark Souls etc. and Nintendo games didnt happen ever since the DS. No idea what you are talking about....these games were all on PS3 and PS4 isnt performing better in Japan....

spekkeh

Banned
I do think the reports of the death of the Japanese console industry have been greatly exaggerated.

Looking at the numbers, the only thing that really caused the slump of the Japanese console industry was the Wii dying and the Wii U not substituting that loss. Meanwhile, PS4 is doing similar or slightly better than the PS3, and the Switch is now doing Wii numbers again.

Good to see. Switch is off to a very strong start, but PS4 is also having a good year and 3DS continues to truck along.

Shame the Vita's starting to tail off now, but understandable.

Zedark

I do think the reports of the death of the Japanese console industry have been greatly exaggerated.

Looking at the numbers, the only thing that really caused the slump of the Japanese console industry was the Wii dying and the Wii U not substituting that loss. Meanwhile, PS4 is doing similar or slightly better than the PS3, and the Switch is now doing Wii numbers again.
I would hope Switch has more in it than Wii numbers, Preferably 3ds or higher. If not, chances are the market will be smaller than it is now, since the 3ds will be gone in three years.

Laplasakos

What games would that be ? You act as if FF, MGS, RE, Dark Souls etc. and Nintendo games didnt happen ever since the DS. No idea what you are talking about....these games were all on PS3 and PS4 isnt performing better in Japan....

PS4 is selling better both hardware and software in Japan compared to PS3 since months and the gap will increase more with DQXI. It has been said many times, especially in the MC threads where you are an active poster so i am pretty sure you know this. It's strange that you are claiming the contrary and misleading people who may not know much from the japanese market and this thread might be a good chance to get an idea.

spekkeh

Banned
I would hope Switch has more in it than Wii numbers, Preferably 3ds or higher. If not, chances are the market will be smaller than it is now, since the 3ds will be gone in three years.
Yeah I conveniently wasn't talking about the handheld market ;). Handheld market was irreparably damaged after Vita and Sony bowing out. But maybe Switch makes cross platform with mobile more attractive.

cw_sasuke

PS4 is selling better both hardware and software in Japan compared to PS3 since months and the gap will increase more with DQXI. It has been said many times, especially in the MC threads where you are an active poster so i am pretty sure you know this. It's strange that you are claiming the contrary and misleading people who may not know much from the japanese market and this thread might be a good chance to get an idea.

My point was that these console games never left - they were on PS3 and are now on PS4. No idea what he is talking about....Ninokuni, Dark Souls, P5, Tekken, MGS, RE, FF, Nier, Bayonetta etc. were all on PS3 and the series continued on PS4.

The PS4 is more or less performing like PS3 with the fuckup and a better price point - but its not a substitute for the money made on handhelds/mobile.

zelas

The 3DS peaked in its second year and had been down YoY for years in japan. Japan switching to handhelds and from handhelds to mobile is what hurt the industry. Serkan Toto says as much:
In Japan, consoles have been hopelessly outpaced by smartphone games. For 2016 overall, Famitsu reported a drop in domestic video game hardware and software sales.

The Switch isn't even doing 3DS numbers yet, and this is before the price drop weeks are being added to the equation. A mere 14% increase after a 28 year low is no sign that the industry is out of its slump. Especially when a new, non Microsoft, hardware launch is going to boost revenues by default. Especially when software is still down.

NSESN

Software yes. But it is more because PS4 didn't have the wii as competitor. Hardware? Isn't both on par eith the PS3 ready to pass it again? I doubt the gap will increase much eith DQXI if exclusives like FF and RE weren't able to do this.

Fiendcode

I'd disagree with that but then again I'm an Etrian Odyssey fanboy.

The Switch isn't even doing 3DS numbers yet, and this is before the price drop weeks are being added to the equation. A mere 14% increase after a 28 year low is no sign that the industry is out of its slump. Especially when a new, non Microsoft, hardware launch is going to boost revenues by default. Especially when software is still down.

I would say that it's a good enough shot in the arm considering how much shorter on the market the Switch has existed so far. Along with the solid line up of first party games incoming for the rest of the year.

Top Bottom