• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phillip W. Spencer III "Japan is the most growing market for Xbox... I consider Steam Deck as Xbox... Switch and PS users as part of Xbox community"

Tsaki

Spencer seems to have the mentality of the trash Youtube vloggers, where they say or do stupid shit (i.e. Logan Paul filming a hanged person and uploading) just so people will talk about them and their brand.

tenor.gif

Ozriel

M$FT
Spencer seems to have the mentality of the trash Youtube vloggers, where they say or do stupid shit (i.e. Logan Paul filming a hanged person and uploading) just so people will talk about them and their brand.

Eh, most sane people don’t consider these things ‘stupid’. He says perfectly innocuous things and some fanboys whip themselves into a frenzy.
They’re putting their games day 1 on PC and streamable via Cloud. No console required. It’s clear they’ve long since moved from considering only console owners as their community.

They ran ads showing how to run Starfield on a Samsung TV, FFS.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
lol...the post you replied to didn't say anything about "taking games away". It said "holding back" and yeah, this flippant "play it your damn browser" nonsense is doing just that.

They have access to some Xbox games, natively. Not all devices will have all the games, and they’ve long since said full availability is restricted to platforms with GamePass.

The ‘holding back’ comment was every bit as flippant too.

Fredrik

I hate this guy. Shove your “we all play” up yours
He talk too much. But would you rather see everything from the quite large number of MS studios be locked to Xbox hardware or delayed a couple years before arriving on PC and Steam?

In general I like what they’re doing because 95% of my gaming takes place on PC.
It just bugs me that they don’t let me sync saves between Steam and Xbox.

Topher

Gold Member
They have access to some Xbox games, natively. Not all devices will have all the games, and they’ve long since said full availability is restricted to platforms with GamePass.

As I recall, Phil Spencer made a statement along those lines when discussing Bethesda. It was not described as a restriction for all games going forward. Heck, even in the interview above he talks about cloud only in the context of "on the go". So yeah, stop "holding back" on all the other platforms if they are all "Xbox users".

He said this without regard to a Game Pass restriction whatsoever....

"Phil: Both are important indeed. Firstly, regarding the hardware, I am very excited and looking forward to what can be achieved in the future. With respect to hardware, it's not just about merely aligning with what other companies are doing, but I believe there's something unique that can be offered to Xbox users. Just as I consider ROG Ally and Steam Deck as part of the Xbox community, it's necessary to consider the numerous Nintendo Switch and PlayStation users as part of the Xbox community going forward.

Similarly, including those who are playing on PC with Game Pass, it's important to ensure that everyone who continues to play Xbox games feels equal within the community. There are many things to work on."

Last edited:

jm89

Money hatting exclusives and locking them on a single device is taking away games. Making them available to stream to anyone with access to a web browser is not.
Not everybody will have the network capable of streaming games, and it's not a money issue for some people just the network infrastructure is not there yet to allow them to stream games reliably.

So yes it would be taking away from owners of Playstation who don't have network capability to stream games.

Last edited:

marjo

Why is it whenever anyone on this site wants to criticize something Phil Spencer says, they always refer to him as "Philip W. Spencer III". It's such giveaway that what's to follow will be filtered through the lens of a sad console warrior.

DaGwaphics

NGL having Game Pass on my PS5 would make it so much better.

I guess, if you wouldn't mind some cheap, watered down version. I can't see a "good" version of GP ever going over there, in fact it would probably devalue GP to a point where they'd lose money.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I guess, if you wouldn't mind some cheap, watered down version. I can't see a "good" version of GP ever going over there, in fact it would probably devalue GP to a point where they'd lose money.

If they can get the same third party day 1 games across the consoles with a homogenized sub, that'd be pretty ok.

DaGwaphics

If they can get the same third party day 1 games across the consoles with a homogenized sub, that'd be pretty ok.

It would still end them flat out, big picture. But, at least that would maintain the value of the subscription at first. I don't see Sony or Nintendo biting though, unless they would just because they figure they can finish off a competitor and then grab this market for themselves afterwards. 🤷‍♂️

ungalo

This so-called strategy is just about being the most opportunistic possible, it's really not that complicated. They're just dressing that with fancy words in a hundred different interviews. Doesn't amount to much in the end really.

Last edited:

Goalus

I don't think that's what causes the opposite camp to talk about him.
Rather, they are so full of fear and insecurity so that, in order not to drown in these feelings of weakness and discontent, they need to make a snarky remark every time Phil says anything, even if he's just talking about the weather. It might give someone with an entirely negative mindset the illusion of feeling better for a few minutes.

Red5

Any day now

Who knows, I don't have a dog in this fight, only Xbox device I own is a controller to play on Steam with, and last console I owned was a PS4.

Netflix strategy could work or it couldn't, it took Netflix years to become profitable. Personally, I only care to own games on Steam.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Why is it whenever anyone on this site wants to criticize something Phil Spencer says, they always refer to him as "Philip W. Spencer III". It's such giveaway that what's to follow will be filtered through the lens of a sad console warrior.

Think I have seen Phil Spencer referred to that way maybe two or three time. I've seen people criticize Phil Spencer a lot more than that.

It is to a point where I no longer listen to what Phillip W. Spencer III says...

Stop Talking Blah Blah Blah GIF by GIPHY Studios 2021

Ok.....four times.

Girl Eye Roll GIF

Last edited:

Sushi_Combo

He is the savior of Xbox.

IAmRei

Japanese shooting games such as shumps in xbox 360 libraries back then are quite good, from what i heard before. If they can do something about other japanese game genres, i think they will grow much more. Although it might quite limited or niche.

graywolf323

Money hatting exclusives and locking them on a single device is taking away games. Making them available to stream to anyone with access to a web browser is not.
if it’s not then why don’t you prove it by only playing games on a browser for the next year? 🤔 because you’re saying that it’s perfectly fine for people that don’t have the systems you do that Xbox still puts games out on

Thirty7ven

Banned
if it’s not then why don’t you prove it by only playing games on a browser for the next year? 🤔 because you’re saying that it’s perfectly fine for people that don’t have the systems you do that Xbox still puts games out on

He will just tell you he plays on the web browser all the time even at home when he doesn’t feel like turning on the console for reasons

X-Wing

SteamDeck is Xbox, PlayStation and Switch is Xbox. In the next financial report Microsoft will let everyone know how they are actually the market leader because somehow StreamDeck, Switch and PlayStation 5 sales are actually Xbox sales. This man is a genius.

To be fair, these numbers would be as legit as their “engagement” statistics.

Last edited:
Top Bottom