• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to lay off 'thousands' of employees

Link.

Three days after announcing internally its latest reorg, Microsoft has announced the resulting layoffs that have been rumored for the past week.

On July 6, officials said the company would be cutting "thousands" of employees. CNBC said Microsoft would be shedding up to 3,000 employees, but didn't cite the source of that number.

Microsoft officials declined to specify which groups will take the brunt, but given the July 3 reorg was all about Microsoft's sales organization, it's a safe bet most are coming from field sales, marketing, and other related teams.

At the end of March 2017, Microsoft employed 121,567 worldwide. A year ago, approximately 50,000 of Microsoft's employees were engaged in sales, marketing, and services jobs.

Today's announcement is not the biggest layoff Microsoft has had. In 2014, company officials announced the company would be eliminating 18,000 jobs over the course of a year, with 12,500 of those associated with the Nokia Devices and Services acquisition. Those cuts began with a first wave of 13,000, the majority of whom Microsoft notified over a six-month period.

Last year, Microsoft announced additional job cuts of 2,850, including at least 900 from its sales organization. That was on top of other hefty headcount reductions from its smartphone business.

Microsoft often announces reorgs and layoffs around the start of the company's new fiscal year, July 1. This year's reorg was all about revamping the company's commercial and consumer sales organizations in the name of digital transformation.

In January this year, Microsoft announced a number of organization changes that affected its sales and marketing organizations. As part of those moves, a number of those sales and marketing teams were moved under Judston Althoff, a Microsoft executive vice president in charge of the company's Worldwide Commercial Business Group.

Lock if old.

JeTmAn81

This is what they do when their stock price is at the highest it has been. I hate wall street and its greed.

Layoffs are part of running a healthy business. Companies don't exist as charities which supply jobs, they exist to maximize stakeholder value. The Nokia stuff is just poor management.

Makki

Layoffs are part of running a healthy business. Companies don't exist as charities which supply jobs, they exist to maximize stakeholder value. The Nokia stuff is just poor management.

Doesn't make it any better for the employees and that's the sore point. It's not like the business doesn't make a healthy profit as is, but it must always increase at the cost of the non managerial labor force typically.

ianpm31

They are still bringing in billions in profit each year and will profit in the billions this year. Keeping those 3,000 employees would do the company no harm. It is all about pleasing wall street and maintaining a specific amount in "growth".

JeTmAn81

Doesn't make it any better for the employees and that's the sore point. It's not like the business doesn't make a healthy profit as is, but it must always increase at the cost of the non managerial labor force typically.

A company like Microsoft can give generous severance packages, and their former employees have an important company on their resume. People who get laid off from Walmart have much bigger problems.

Nipo

Yea, this is a big topic right now. A lot of the reductions I think are stemming from advances in sales force automation and the ability for cloud services to be sold virtually without a field rep going to the site to close the deal.

Pastry

Banned
Even if Microsoft is making billions a year do people really expect them to keep jobs that are being replaced by automation? There is only so much you can do to shuffle employees around when departments become irrelevant. I would even make th argument that keeping employees on payroll and having them do jack negatively impacts the employee and the company. I would rather get a severance and advanced notice that I was a part of reduction that way I can find a new job. These are likely highly skilled people.

JeTmAn81

Yeah, no it isn't. I don't know how it's done elsewhere, but working in a big company in the UK, when it comes to mass redundancies, they pretty much pick at random.

[citation needed]

That's really not how business works. How would it make sense to cut employees for no reason? You do it to cut costs, either because your revenue isn't high enough or because the cost to pay those employees doesn't provide enough ROI.

Mass layoffs are a tool a lot of companies use to get rid of people that would be much harder to fire without them filing lawsuits. Its much harder to file a age, sex, race, etc discrimination lawsuit against a company if you were laid off as part of a mass firing. I imagine a lot of older workers will get hit with this layoff, which has its pluses and minuses - usually better severance packages, but its going to be a lot harder finding a new job after a certain age.

EGM1966

sales and marketing huh? i wonder why. just cost cutting?

Nope. Shift to Service structure via Cloud (Azure). Most big tech companies that shift to Cloud will do so too I expect.

Sucks for staff but it's the nature of SaaS model. You don't need same level of marketing/sales for something that's sold like electricity or water as a commodity you sign up to as a service.

Good thing for Xbox Live (which is some ways as a subscription service was a proto Cloud offering) because if it was all about just selling some hardware I wouldn't want to be Xbox division as the shift to what I think of as EaaS (Everything as a Servive) contnues at MS.

Surface, etc will be fine as they want their own device for their OS a'la Apple. I think.

Couple things here:

1. Publically traded companies are, by-law, required to maximise profit. If they don't they can be legally sued, and the top executives are in line to get canned if this ever happens successfully.

2. Layoffs can either target individual poor performing employees, or a division of the company whose overall function within the whole administrative structure of the company isn't needed, or costs more than it's worth. In this case it's the latter. This isn't as much about employee quality as it is about Nokia and likely windows phone.

Capitalism as a societal philosophy needs to be structured to be greedy. The counter to that is supposed to be governance that keeps it in line. The last part is what is fucked in america.

Moving away from the separate product model into subscriptions. You don't need to convince people to buy your new products with every new version, when you got them into a subscription model already.

It also doesn't help that with cloud(Azure) Microsoft is not really pushing windows server.

It always sucks for the people affected, but this is what a business should do. At least, a publicly traded business. Private companies can sacrifice profit for the sake of people at their own leisure.

JeTmAn81

Yeah, that's the problem.

Hey man, I said stakeholder, not shareholder. My personal philosophy is that businesses should be good stewards of their employees, their community and their environment. But they don't exist to provide jobs for people whose work isn't needed.

Yeah, no it isn't. I don't know how it's done elsewhere, but working in a big company in the UK, when it comes to mass redundancies, they pretty much pick at random.

From divisions which have lower future strategic importance than they did in the past.

If Division X is super important to the company's long term strategy, and then over time it no longer becomes as important due to changes in the market, then you've got a ton of people who are not providing as much value to the company as they used to be. "Fair" is not even part of the equation, they just aren't needed anymore because the company doesn't need anyone to do what they are doing.

A case could certianly be made for transferring them within the company, but "they should just keep them, they already turn a profit" is a terrible business strategy. Why should a company provide a job to someone who they literally have no use for? Will the person just sit in an office and stare at the wall like they do in Japanese Boredom Rooms?

Top Bottom