• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo EPD's GM (aka Miyamoto's old job) Takahashi on Switch games/projects & more!

TheMoon

French interview with lemonde.fr, summarized and translated by L~A for perfectly-nintendo.com

Topics covered:
  • Nintendo Switch shortages
  • Lack of games, number of projects Nintendo is working on
  • On the number of employees
  • Can Nintendo put as much effort in another game than they did for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild?
  • About open-world games
  • Innovations in 3D Mario games
  • About collaborations…
  • The Nintendo Switch line-up at launch (and the following months)
  • Nintendo’s “realistic” IPs, and their possible return
  • Nintendo Switch controllers
  • Third-party support

Some selected excerpts (read the full thing at the source):

please note: it's not a literal word-for-word translation but a summarized translation! so don't get hung up on minutiae!​
Lack of games, number of projects Nintendo is working on

In order to avoid Software droughts like those that plagued the Wii U, Nintendo put a lot of effort into making the Nintendo Switch easy to develop for (citing engines like Unity or Unreal). For third-party developers and publishers, the platform was designed so as to be easy to use, allowing even small teams to create games for it.

Internally, Nintendo completely changed the way the various development projects are assigned to each team. He didn’t say how many Nintendo Switch games Nintendo was working on, but he revealed that the company has 11 “production units”, and that each one is working on several projects at once.

Nintendo’s “realistic” IPs, and their possible return

1080°, Wave Race… those are “realistic” IP that Nintendo once worked on, that feature radically different artstyle and gameplay from their other franchises. Those used to be pretty popular back in the days, but it’s now been years (more than a decade for some) since we last saw them. Is there any chance of them ever making a comeback?

For Shinya Takahashi, there’s no real reason for Nintendo to simply abandon those “realistic” IPs… but that doesn’t mean he’s going to reveal Nintendo is currently working on them at the moment. All he is willing to say is that Nintendo has a ton of projects going on for the Nintendo Switch, and no rule preventing one of them from being “realistic”.

The interviewer points out that without those “realistic” games, Nintendo consoles mainly offer cartoon-like worlds. Surprisingly, Shinya Takahashi actually agrees, though he reiterates that Nintendo hasn’t gotten rid of those “realistic games”. If they ever get the opportunity to make a game that’s both “realistic” and amusing, they will definitely make it.

[Translator’s note: here, the “realistic” bit applies almost exclusively to graphics, not realism in general. For example, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has a pretty realistic physics engine, yet the graphics themselves are not really what you’d call realistic]

Shinya Takahashi and Shigeru Miyamoto

It’s thanks to Shigeru Miyamoto that Shinya Takahashi got to work at Nintendo. But now, he’s basically the one supervising Miyamoto… how does it all work?

This question certainly made Shinya Takahashi laugh, though he was quick to point out he was only his “superior” from a strictly hierarchical point of view. Shigeru Miyamoto is still his “teacher” (or “sensei” in Japanese). Basically, Takahashi’s role is to make sure Miyamoto can work as fluently as possible, and he really doesn’t consider himelf his equal, let alone his superior (as far as game development goes).

la sauce: http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/nintendo-switch-shinya-takahashi-nintendos-projects/

Zedark

About Switch shortages:
Perfectly Nintendo said:
The first question is about the Nintendo Switch shortages, something Shinya Takahashi apologised for. He explained that it’s not something they can control, though they have made improvements to the production chain, allowing them to ship more consoles. Unfortunately, he didn’t explain what kind of improvements were made…
Takahashi obviously refused to say exactly what they improved, but this is more confirmation, beyond the Japanese message that could be explained differently, that they did increase production capacity, not just ship more during July and onwards without increasing production per se.

The bit about having 11 production units that are each focusing on "multiple" projects sounds crazy! Seems to indicate that we won't see a slow in first-party output for Switch any time soon.

11 production units means 11 internal teams, right?
I wonder if that includes the likes of GameFreak and Next Level which aren't internal.

Nintendo is going to publish or is involved heavily in a ton of projects this year. It's kind of insane, really.
Around 10+ games for the first 10 months

Zedark

The bit about having 11 production units that are each focusing on "multiple" projects sounds crazy! Seems to indicate that we won't see a slow in first-party output for Switch any time soon.

This year we are seeing 1-2-Switch, MK8D, BOTW, SMO, XBC2, Splatoon 2 and ARMS made by internal studios. That's 7 big projects, and if we can take Takahashi's word for it, they should have at least 22 projects in the works themselves, so 15 unrevealed projects (13, actually, what with Metroid Prime 4, which is probably (not definitely) being developed internally, and Pikmin 4) or more are still left.

Edit: here's the evidence from the French interview for this:
Le Monde said:
nous avons aujourd'hui onze unités de production, et que chacune travaille sur plusieurs projets à la fois.

Translation said:
We have, at this moment, eleven production units, and each of them is working on multiple projects at a time.

Edit 2: The interview states directly that these projects are Switch and other media combined. Most likely the released projects shouldn't be counted, so we have 22+ unreleased projects for Switch, 3DS, and mobile.

Pretty sure he's referring to the 11 teams that are usually covered in this threadhttp://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1303431.

And this is just EPD, not external partners like HAL, IntSys etc.
True, but the fact that each of those 11 studios (or whatever name fits best) is working on multiple projects is what's pretty interesting here I'd say (that is very definitely what he says, there is no confusion possible like him suggesting that the collective 11 are working on multiple projects, like 11 teams on 15 projects or anything (all this made possible by the beautiful French word "chacune")).

This year we are seeing 1-2-Switch, MK8D, BOTW, SMO, XBC2, Splatoon 2 and ARMS made by internal studios. That's 7 big projects, and if we can take Takahashi's word for it, they should have at least 22 projects in the works themselves, so 15 unrevealed projects (14, actually, what with Metroid Prime 4) are still left.

That's absolutely fantastic! As you said, that's also the absolute minimum!

LordKano

11 production units means 11 internal teams, right?
I wonder if that includes the likes of GameFreak and Next Level which aren't internal.

Nintendo is going to publish or is involved heavily in a ton of projects this year. It's kind of insane, really.
Around 10+ games for the first 10 months

The interviewer specifically talked about internal production and Nintendo teams.

I'd like to add something from the original article, that I found important but isn't in the perfectly-nintendo article. When talking about production issues, Takashi says that "a few days ago, we managed to improve our production process, which means that in the upcoming period, we'll be able to ship more consoles".

It's a bit more nuanced than just "we improved them so we'll ship more", but maybe I'm just nitpicky.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
This year we are seeing 1-2-Switch, MK8D, BOTW, SMO, XBC2, Splatoon 2 and ARMS made by internal studios. That's 7 big projects, and if we can take Takahashi's word for it, they should have at least 22 projects in the works themselves, so 15 unrevealed projects (14, actually, what with Metroid Prime 4) are still left.
Don't forget Pikmin 4 and there's probably a couple more we're missing.

entremet

That was the point of unifying the handheld and console dev team.

Waiting for someone to mention the 3DS is still alive lol.

maxcriden

Thanks a ton for posting this and a big thanks to L~A for translating!

Great read.

I take the indication of all of Nintendo's internal teams working on Switch projects as further confirmation their internal teams won't be releasing any more 3DS titles.

Zedark

That was the point of unifying the handheld and console dev team.

Waiting for someone to mention the 3DS is still alive lol.

When was the last time 3DS got an internally developed game? I personally doubt it will get anymore from the EPD studios.

Edit: Looks like the last one was Miitopia, actually. before that AC New Leaf Welcome Amiibo and TLOZ Triforce Heroes. They are also collaborating on Samus Returns.

entremet

When was the last time 3DS got an internally developed game? I personally doubt it will get anymore from the EPD studios.

Yeah, that's my point. But invariably you'll have someone say but the 3DS is still getting games and not believe it.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Ah yeah, didn't think about Pikmin 4 as it's hardly on the radar atm. Will adjust my post to account for it!
Now the speculation begins!
What games are among those (minimum of) 13?

Animal Crossing for sure.
Additional Wii U ports? (DK, XBX, Captain Toad?, 3D World? Splatoon? Star Fox Zero?)
Another NSMB?

maxcriden

Yeah, that's my point. But invariably you'll have someone say but the 3DS is still getting games and not believe it.

Nintendo has done a pretty masterful job of continuing impressive 3DS support whilst steering all internal teams to Switch. I'm eager to see the continued fruits of this labor.

Well, I should clarify not all. Some are working on mobile with DeNA from what I remember reading. But, certainly this interview indicates the vast majority are on Switch projects.

Good read, thanks TheMoon and L~A!

Very good to hear that each of their 11 internal teams are working on multiple projects. That bodes very well for 2018 and beyond.

I'm also starting to think some people at Nintendo are beginning to get a bit frustrated by the lack of third party support. They often mention how hard they tried to make development for the Switch as easy as possible, and the fact that they can't say more than that doesn't seem too good.

This year we are seeing 1-2-Switch, MK8D, BOTW, SMO, XBC2, Splatoon 2 and ARMS made by internal studios. That's 7 big projects, and if we can take Takahashi's word for it, they should have at least 22 projects in the works themselves, so 15 unrevealed projects (13, actually, what with Metroid Prime 4 and Pikmin 4) or more are still left.

Well, that is assuming Metroid Prime 4 is being worked on by an internal team, at least partially. Which is a good assumption but probably not 100% confirmed.

Thanks a ton for posting this and a big thanks to L~A for translating!

Great read.

I take the indication of all of Nintendo's internal teams working on Switch projects as further confirmation their internal teams won't be releasing any more 3DS titles.

Yeah I also noticed the conspicuous lack of 3DS discussion when talking about their internal teams. They haven't developed an internal 3DS game in quite a while but I don't think those at least 22 games are all fully internal. I'm sure some of the 11 teams are assisting on external projects too.

Jezan

Yes! They still acknowledge the existence of 1080 and Waverace.

Nintendo please now acknowledge StarTropics and launch it as EarthBoundish but with a sci-fi aesthetic.

Zedark

Additional Wii U ports? (DK, XBX, Captain Toad?, 3D World? Splatoon? Star Fox Zero?)
Another NSMB?

Don't think they will port Splatoon since Splatoon 2 is coming out. Star Fox Zero seems unlikely to me, as it is kind of a flop critically rather than just commercially. XBX could be, though I would have expected it to come before the brand new Switch Xenoblade game, so I think that's unlikely as well. Donkey Kong, Smash Bros and Mario Maker seem like likely first party ports to me, so I would say 3 more first party Wii U ports, and at least 10 new games.

Well, that is assuming Metroid Prime 4 is being worked on by an internal team, at least partially. Which is a good assumption but probably not 100% confirmed. .
Yeah, you're right. Added a nuance to my post for this. Still personally believe it is an internal team working on it.

OuterLimits

Yeah, Nintendo is clearly focused on the Switch, but I'm glad the 3DS still has some quality games coming. I was thrilled when I learned Atlus was bringing EO V west.

The 3DS has such a great JRPG library. It reminds me of the PS/PS2 years.

It's straight up hype-inducing. Super excited to see what lies beyond 2017 for Switch.

Shiggy

To put it into perspective, this seemingly also includes groups that work on smaller apps, smartphone apps, and work with IntSys/Monolith.

Nintendo EPD Production Group No. 1
Manager / Producer - Hitoshi Yamagami
Sub Manager / Co-Producer - ?
Project Leader: Genki Yokota (Xenoblade, Fire Emblem)

-Games-
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Holiday 2017 (with Monolith Soft)
Fire Emblem Echoes 4.20.17 (with Intelligent Systems)

Nintendo EPD Production Group No. 2?
Manager / Producer - Hisashi Nogami
Sub Manager / Co-Producer - Aya Kyogoku?

-Games-
Splatoon 05.28.15
Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer 06.30.15
Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome Amiibo 11.02.16
Splatoon 2 07.21.17

Nintendo EPD Production Group No. 3?
Manager / Producer - Eiji Aonuma
Sub Manager / Co-Producer - Makoto Miyanaga?

-Games-
The Legend of Zelda: TriForce Heroes 10.22.15
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 03.03.17

Nintendo EPD Production Group No. 4?
Manager / Producer - Hiroyuki Kimura (May have been replaced)
Sub Manager / Co-Producer - Akio Terui

-Games-
New Super Lugi U 07;13.13
Pikmin 3 07.13.13
Super Mario Maker 09.10.15

Nintendo EPD Production Group No. 5
Manager / Producer - Tadashi Sugiyama
Sub Manager / Co-Producer - Hiroshi Matsunaga

-Games-
Star Fox Zero 05.21.16
Star Fox Guard 05.21.16
Tank Troopers 12.21.16

Nintendo EPD Production Group No. 6?
Manager / Producer - Kouichi Kawamoto
Sub Manager / Co-Producer - Takayuki Shimamura

-Games-
Rusty's Real Deal Baseball 08.08.13
Nintendo Badge Arcade 12.17.14
Miitopia 12.08.16
1-2 Switch 03.03.17

Nintendo EPD Production Group No. 7
Manager / Producer - Katsuya Yamano ?
Sub Manager / Co-Producer - N/A

-Games-
Tomodachi Life 04.18.13
Rhythm Heaven Megamix 06.11.15
Miitomo 03.17.16

Nintendo EPD Production Group No. 8 (Tokyo)
Manager / Producer - Koichi Hayashida
Sub Manager / Co-Producer - Kenta Motokura

-Games-
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker 11.13.14
NES Remix Pack 12.05.14
Ultimate NES Remix 11.07.14
Super Mario Odyssey 10.27.17

Nintendo EPD Production Group No. 9
Manager / Producer - Kosuke Yabuki
Sub Manager / Co-Producer - Yasuyugi Oyagi?
Project Leader: Kenta Sato (Arms), Yusuke Shiraiwa (Mario Kart 8 DX)

-Games-
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 04.28.17
Arms 06,16.17

Nintendo EPD Production Group No. 10? (Tokyo)
Manager / Producer - Takao Shimizu

-Games-
Nintendo DS Guide: Make It Yourself 11.17.10
Nintendo 3DS Guide: Louvre 12.02.13

Nintendo EPD Smart Device Production Group
Manager / Producer - Hideki Konno
History - MyNintendo, Miitomo, Super Mario Run, Fire Emblem Heroes
Current: - Making Animal Crossing Mobile and future Mobile projects

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=222109443&postcount=1

maxcriden

Another NSMB?

I could see some ports, especially a DK two pack, and I'm hoping for the OOTversary next year we get an OOT and MM two pack based on the 3DS versions. I think 3D World is possible...Maybe bundled with Captain Toad....

I expect another 2D Mario but they previously hinted at moving on from the nsmb series so if that's still the case I expect it to be significantly different as a 2D Mario in terms of art in comparison to that series.

Very good to hear that each of their 11 internal teams are working on multiple projects. That bodes very well for 2018 and beyond.

I'm also starting to think some people at Nintendo are beginning to get a bit frustrated by the lack of third party support. They often mention how hard they tried to make development for the Switch as easy as possible, and the fact that they can't say more than that doesn't seem too good.

Well, that is assuming Metroid Prime 4 is being worked on by an internal team, at least partially. Which is a good assumption but probably not 100% confirmed.

Yeah I also noticed the conspicuous lack of 3DS discussion when talking about their internal teams. They haven't developed an internal 3DS game in quite a while but I don't think those at least 22 games are all fully internal. I'm sure some of the 11 teams are assisting on external projects too.

Oh, good point. I'm sure assistance on external projects is happening as you said, I didn't think of that but it's been a constant for Nintendo and they still have second party developers so it must be the case. Besides, how else can Retro make their startropics reboot if not with the steady hand of NCL?

Don't think they will port Splatoon since Splatoon 2 is coming out. Star Fox Zero seems unlikely to me, as it is kind of a flop critically rather than just commercially. XBX could be, though I would have expected it to come before the brand new Switch Xenoblade game, so I think that's unlikely as well. Donkey Kong, Smash Bros and Mario Maker seem like likely first party ports to me, so I would say 3 more first party Wii U ports, and at least 10 new games.

I think the further we get from launch the likelier a new SSB and Mario Maker are vs. ports. I mean, it's still entirely possible, I just see it as a Splatoon type situation where they may prefer to expand and iterate to be able to position it reasonably as a new game.

City 17

He talked about the use of HD rumble in Odyssey as a game changer, even called it the ambassador of the new tech.

Zedark

I think the further we get from launch the likelier a new SSB and Mario Maker are vs. ports. I mean, it's still entirely possible, I just see it as a Splatoon type situation where they may prefer to expand and iterate to be able to position it reasonably as a new game.

Yeah, that's a fair point. Ports for Mario maker and Smash should be early next year in my mind, otherwise it's very likely they are making a sequel instead.
He talked about the use of HD rumble in Odyssey as a game changer, even called it the ambassador of the new tech.
And said it'd be even more impressive than in 1-2-Switch.

Zedark

Damn 11 groups working on multiple Switch games???
God damn Nintendo

Keep in mind that they didn't specify that all projects he referred to were Switch projects. Some could be mobile, as Shiggy said, and some could be minor collabs for things like Samus Returns (EPD is collaborating slightly for that title), so it's not necessarily 22 for Switch, but assuming that some have more than 2 in the works, it's probably fair to assume that they are at least around the 18-22 mark for Switch projects.

Edit: The interview states directly that these projects are Switch and other media combined.

These include he ones already announced/released???

Uncertain as well.

Keep in mind that they didn't specify that all projects he referred to were Switch projects. Some could be mobile, as Shiggy said, and some could be minor collabs for things like Samus Returns (EPD is collaborating slightly for that title), so it's not necessarily 22 for Switch, but assuming that some have more than 2 in the works, it's probably fair to assume that they are at least around the 18-22 mark for Switch projects.
These include he ones already announced/released???

Making themselves self sufficient seems like a good idea.
They can differentiate themselves enough for them to create a big audience.
Relying on others has a lot of draw backs like with Sony and PSP->Vita.
PSP relied on 3rd party IPs to sell. Franchises like Monster Hunter and various Square Enix projects but since Sony didn't own them they could (and did) leave for the successor.

I don't think I've experienced HD Rumble yet. Is it in Snake Pass?

I don't own the game to know for sure, but I don't think any game beside 1, 2 Switch has implemented much of the feature.

HD Rumble isn't a separate feature from normal rumble, it's just in the way the rumble is implemented. Therefore it's hard to actually define what games have "HD Rumble" and which just have normal rumble. Like, Snake Pass certainly has different levels of rumble, so it could be considered HD Rumble. But 1, 2, Switch has far more precise types of rumble, especially in the ball count and safe cracker games.

I don't think there's much of a distinction between HD Rumble and normal rumble on the Switch, but there are definitely different feeling rumble sensations depending on how the rumble is programmed.

maxcriden

Edit: The interview states directly that these projects are Switch and other media combined.

Uncertain as well.

Ah, I totally missed that these projects are not only switch projects. I'd misunderstood, thinking any mobile etc. projects were in addition to the multiple projects by the 11 teams. That is very good to know. Thank you.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Regarding more realism in graphics, there's definitely been a change in some of the Nintendo teams' approach.

Most notably: EAD Tokyo and Mario Odyssey.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of that change is specifically to train Nintendo artists to create more realistic content for other franchises.

That question about the pure number of employees is kind of weird. Seems like AAA+ game studios actually have huge massive budgets and too many cooks in the kitchen committee design partly because of there being 1500 employees. Didn't BoTW only need to sell 2 million copies to be profitable?

maxcriden

I don't own the game to know for sure, but I don't think any game beside 1, 2 Switch has implemented much of the feature.

Don't really know (haven't played that game after the recent rumble fix). TumbleSeed, Fast RMX and Thumper uses it at least.

HD Rumble isn't a separate feature from normal rumble, it's just in the way the rumble is implemented. Therefore it's hard to actually define what games have "HD Rumble" and which just have normal rumble. Like, Snake Pass certainly has different levels of rumble, so it could be considered HD Rumble. But 1, 2, Switch has far more precise types of rumble, especially in the ball count and safe cracker games.

I don't think there's much of a distinction between HD Rumble and normal rumble on the Switch, but there are definitely different feeling rumble sensations depending on how the rumble is programmed.

Thanks all for the clarification! I'm looking forward to experiencing the more precise types of rumble in particular. I'll be curious to find out how it's implemented in Mario Odyssey.

Making themselves self sufficient seems like a good idea.
They can differentiate themselves enough for them to create a big audience.
Relying on others has a lot of draw backs like with Sony and PSP->Vita.
PSP relied on 3rd party IPs to sell. Franchises like Monster Hunter and various Square Enix projects but since Sony didn't own them they could (and did) leave for the successor.

I certainly agree with that, but they still make it a point to mention that they've made the Switch easy to develop for whenever this topic is brought up.

Thanks all for the clarification! I'm looking forward to experiencing the more precise types of rumble in particular. I'll be curious to find out how it's implemented in Mario Odyssey.

I honestly don't know if it gets any more precise than in the ball count or safe cracker games in 1, 2, Switch. It would be really nice if they released a demo with some of the 1, 2, Switch minigames for people to try out very neat HD Rumble without spending $50.

Osukaa

Hmmmm Im drawing a blank here, what other "realistic" games that are current IP's does Nintendo have? I completely forgot about Waverace as it wasn't really game I cared for but other than making new IP's which would be awesome, I cant for the life of me remember anymore realistic one's they've made. Anyone got any examples?

maxcriden

I honestly don't know if it gets any more precise than in the ball count or safe cracker games in 1, 2, Switch. It would be really nice if they released a demo with some of the 1, 2, Switch minigames for people to try out very neat HD Rumble without spending $50.

Yeah, I mean I haven't played the game but I've definitely heard the HD rumble is impressively precise in it. Perhaps they expect the Mario inclusion will be in the context of what may be considered by many to be more engaging gameplay and as such will serve as a better showcase of the feature. (And I totally agree a demo of a couple 1, 2, Switch minigame would've been most welcome.)

maxcriden

Hmmmm Im drawing a blank here, what other "realistic" games that are current IP's does Nintendo have? I completely forgot about Waverace as it wasn't really game I cared for but other than making new IP's which would be awesome, I cant for the life of me remember anymore realistic one's they've made. Anyone got any examples?

Well, there's Eternal Darkness for one. Pilotwings, 1080 and Wave Race as mentioned. I'll have to try to think of some others.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
So is Metroid Prime 4 not gonna have a "realistic" artstyle or can he just not confirm it?

or what is it that "realistic" means here?

Top Bottom