• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo EPD's GM (aka Miyamoto's old job) Takahashi on Switch games/projects & more!

11 teams definitely includes the teams that handle 3rd/2nd party development.

Still, they hopefully have a good bundle of games in the pipeline. Hopefully some of the projects that got canned during Wii U's era of failing sales can be brought back to life, given the Switch's apparent success.
But not Project Giant Robo

BigPete

This year we are seeing 1-2-Switch, MK8D, BOTW, SMO, XBC2, Splatoon 2 and ARMS made by internal studios. That's 7 big projects, and if we can take Takahashi's word for it, they should have at least 22 projects in the works themselves, so 15 unrevealed projects (13, actually, what with Metroid Prime 4, which is probably (not definitely) being developed internally, and Pikmin 4) or more are still left.

Edit: here's the evidence from the French interview for this:

Edit 2: The interview states directly that these projects are Switch and other media combined. Most likely the released projects shouldn't be counted, so we have 22+ unreleased projects for Switch, 3DS, and mobile.

True, but the fact that each of those 11 studios (or whatever name fits best) is working on multiple projects is what's pretty interesting here I'd say (that is very definitely what he says, there is no confusion possible like him suggesting that the collective 11 are working on multiple projects, like 11 teams on 15 projects or anything (all this made possible by the beautiful French word "chacune")).

11 teams working on 'Multiple Projects" doesn't necessarily mean at least 22 games.

Some of those teams may be contributing to the same project as others. So Lets say Team 1 is working on Project A and Project B.
Team 2 is working on Project C and also assisting with Project B.

Both teams are working on multiple projects, but that's still only 3 games.

11 teams definitely includes the teams that handle 3rd/2nd party development.

No, we know they have 11 internal EPD teams now. See this post:

Pretty sure he's referring to the 11 teams that are usually covered in this thread.

And this is just EPD, not external partners like HAL, IntSys etc.

Those internal teams are likely assisting on external projects but he was referring to those 11 internal teams in the interview.

Those internal teams are likely assisting on external projects but he was referring to those 11 internal teams in the interview.

Oh well fair enough. Although Team 1 and 5 seem mostly to be assisting outside developers based on that list.

Team 1 is formerly SPD 1 which doesn't really have internal developers. They coordinate with various Japanese devs. I think it's safe to that the other 2 SPD teams are included in this number. Maybe Tanabe has an internal team now but it doesn't seem Yamagami or Nonaka do. Though it does seem the Tokyo teams combined or something as the numbers don't add up otherwise

Team 1 is formerly SPD 1 which doesn't really have internal developers. They coordinate with various Japanese devs. I think it's safe to that the other 2 SPD teams are included in this number. Maybe Tanabe has an internal team now but it doesn't seem Yamagami or Nonaka do. Though it does seem the Tokyo teams combined or something as the numbers don't add up otherwise

Ah interesting, so he's referring to the 11 production units as having multiple projects even if some aren't actually development groups, rather coordination groups? I guess that helps me temper my excitement a bit.

TheMoon

GAF experts,
I just bought a Switch,
Now, what are the odds of some of the DS games being emulated or ported to switch?

I would love to play the castlevania games,like order of eclessia,Aria of sorrow and the new link to the past game on the switch, any chance?

0 right now

Oh well fair enough. Although Team 1 and 5 seem mostly to be assisting outside developers based on that list.

It's the same old EAD + SPD structure, just now all under the EPD banner and no longer split between handheld & console. No real new information here. We knew about those 11 groups before (thanks to Shikamaru keeping track of this stuff on Kyoto Report mostly).

Jubenhimer

11 Production departments in EPD? Damn, that's a lot. If this is what 2017 looks like so far, Imagine what next year will be.

TheMoon

Yeah, but they were always split between 2 divisions, and 2 main platforms. Now with everything more unified, we could see games at a faster rate.

There is definitely a difference in the scope and shift of the teams. The SPD external group numbers were also bloated.

Sure, I'm just trying to reign people in a little who go crazy over the number or think that we BotW-scale games like clockwork now. I'm the hype police, after all.

Instro

At the very least we can expect additional games in place of excess dual releases of stuff like Mario Kart, Smash, Animal Crossing, etc. It will be interesting to see what is born out of that.

At the very least we can expect additional games in place of excess dual releases of stuff like Mario Kart, Smash, Animal Crossing, etc. It will be interesting to see what is born out of that.

Good point. I actually hadn't thought about that yet. With HD games requiring more resources, though, I wonder if they're going to expand teams independently so they're each large enough to tackle their own game, or just combine two existing teams and have them work together on one game. I'd have to imagine the amount of people working on the average 3DS game would need a good deal more manpower to churn out a Switch game in a similar time frame, I'm just not sure what approach they'd use to cobble together those larger teams. 🤔

For selfish reasons, I hope they just hire more people. Knowing Nintendo though, I feel like they'd combine existing staff.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Sure, I'm just trying to reign people in a little who go crazy over the number or think that we BotW-scale games like clockwork now. I'm the hype police, after all.

The more important thing to remember is that Nintendo is embracing small team internal projects, and embracing the Platinum Games formula for bigger games (core team of 30-50, and outsource the art to like 3-4 companies).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
GAF experts,
I just bought a Switch,
Now, what are the odds of some of the DS games being emulated or ported to switch?

I would love to play the castlevania games,like order of eclessia,Aria of sorrow and the new link to the past game on the switch, any chance?

Well the Wii U had DS VC so that's the most likely way you'll see DS games on Switch in the future. But at the moment VC plans are basically up in the air.

On a more general note about ports. I know GAF loves to go on about them for Switch, literally wishing for every game ever to be ported, but based on past Nintendo output, I don't think they'll be too common. If we do get them I think it'll be be at a later date, i.e. in a year or two, when they need a bit of calendar padding.

PetrCobra

Ah yeah, didn't think about Pikmin 4 as it's hardly on the radar atm. Will adjust my post to account for it!

I'm fucking DYING for Pikmin 4. If they manage to add online multiplayer this time, it will be my personal wildcard in the Switch library. Nothing beats Pikmin multiplayer for me when it comes to replayability.

With that said, the first party lineup already looks better than the Wii U and that is saying something because that console was a beast when it came to first party. Tens of other unrevealed projects sounds incredibly reassuring. Now if only the third parties were finally fully on board.

Pretty sure he's referring to the 11 teams that are usually covered in this thread

And this is just EPD, not external partners like HAL, IntSys etc.
This. He also isn't including Monolith, Retro or ND Cube in the 11 teams comments. As well as the developers of Smash Bros and Pokémon.
I believe the Tokyo teams did merge with the Kyoto team under the EPD banner but I could be wrong.
0 right now

It's the same old EAD + SPD structure, just now all under the EPD banner and no longer split between handheld & console. No real new information here. We knew about those 11 groups before (thanks to Shikamaru keeping track of this stuff on Kyoto Report mostly).
While nothing new it is still exciting nonetheless, in terms of future output from Nintendo. I'm more curious what other new ips and older franchises could return on Switch such as Star Fox, F-Zero, Diddy Kong Racing, Kid Icarus, etc. Also I would say that merging everything together made it easier to utilize staff to work on more projects as well as prioritize projects.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I wonder when we will start seeing the result of this internal merge of development teams in terms of output

mugwhump

About Switch shortages:

Takahashi obviously refused to say exactly what they improved, but this is more confirmation, beyond the Japanese message that could be explained differently, that they did increase production capacity, not just ship more during July and onwards without increasing production per se.
Nice to have confirmation. I wonder when they made the production improvements? They don't seem to have shown up in Japan yet. Partially because of stockpiling, but maybe also because there's a 6 week gap between production increasing and those units showing up on shelves.

Zedark

Nice to have confirmation. I wonder when they made the production improvements? They don't seem to have shown up in Japan yet. Partially because of stockpiling, but maybe also because there's a 6 week gap between production increasing and those units showing up on shelves.
There are some initial signs (that is, two retailer chain with higher shipments this week or a note on a blog saying shipments are better) that this week could be significantly better this week, so yhere's that. We don't know if that was always the plan, even before increased production, but still, it's a good sign.

Is there a single new game planned for this fall/2018 that is made by internals ?

Samus Returns has several EPD staff working directly on it, but that is the only one we know about. And of course with games like Hey Pikmin and Mario and Luigi, Nintendo still devotes staff to oversee the production on, so these are still First Party games. The only 2018 3DS game we know about is Sushi Striker. So no, at this point, it does not look like they are devoting a ton of resources to the 3DS, which is a good thing, and part of the reason why the Switch first party lineup has been an improvement over years past when resources were split more evenly between console and handheld. But I do believe them when they say they will continue to support the 3DS in a big way.

TheMoon

Samus Returns has several EPD staff working directly on it, but that is the only one we know about. And of course with games like Hey Pikmin and Mario and Luigi, Nintendo still devotes staff to oversee the production on, so these are still First Party games. The only 2018 3DS game we know about is Sushi Striker. So no, at this point, it does not look like they are devoting a ton of resources to the 3DS, which is a good thing, and part of the reason why the Switch first party lineup has been an improvement over years past when resources were split more evenly between console and handheld. But I do believe them when they say they will continue to support the 3DS in a big way.

Hey Pikmin probably also has EPD level designers on it. Arzest's Yoshi games had NSMB course designers contributing to the games, for example.

How can they "continue" to support de 3ds when they have already stopped.

Because they haven't :)

TheMoon

Really, they are still supporting the 3ds "in a big way" ?
I just can't see it.

New Pokémon coming out soon (along with classic Pokémon titles for GB VC), new Metroid coming out soon, new IP just came out, new IP coming out in a few weeks, new handheld debut of one of their established franchises coming out soon, all right along a hardware revision, new big third party collab N3DS exclusive (also has a Switch version) coming out later, new Kirby game coming out at the end of the year, new IP collabo announced for next year....

There ya go :)

Prime 1-3 never had realistic artstyles either, or they wouldn't still look as good as they do today.

Tell that to them Kiwis and Strawberries, tho :D

In terms of quantity/rate of output, is there a publisher more prolific than Nintendo?

Nope, not even something to debate really. ^^

Waji

New Pokémon coming out soon (along with classic Pokémon titles for GB VC), new Metroid coming out soon, new IP just came out, new IP coming out in a few weeks, new handheld debut of one of their established franchises coming out soon, all right along a hardware revision, new big third party collab N3DS exclusive (also has a Switch version) coming out later, new Kirby game coming out at the end of the year, new IP collabo announced for next year....
But we were talking 100% first party weren't we ?
(11 internal blah blah...) so most of that doesn't count and really even if we count all of it( ~first party)... that's not heavy compare to the Switch, not even close.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Hmmmm Im drawing a blank here, what other "realistic" games that are current IP's does Nintendo have? I completely forgot about Waverace as it wasn't really game I cared for but other than making new IP's which would be awesome, I cant for the life of me remember anymore realistic one's they've made. Anyone got any examples?

The interviewer was referring to the N64 style era of arcade/sim style games. More specifically stuff like Wave Race and 1080 Snowboarding.If you go back you could even look at something like Pilotwings. I miss those games too.

Yes. But they're still EPD Tokyo nonetheless.

I'm not sure EPD Tokyo is a real thing. The Odyssey team is just EPD Production Group No. 8 and the Arms/MK8 team is EPD Production Group No. 9.

EPD Production Group No. 1 (Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia) <------ Main external unit?
EPD Production Group No. 7 (Miitomo)
EPD Production Group No. 8 (Super Mario Odyssey)
EPD Production Group No. 9 (MK8 DX, Arms)

TheMoon

I'm not sure EPD Tokyo is a real thing. The Odyssey team is just EPD Production Group No. 8 and the Arms/MK8 team is EPD Production Group No. 9.

EPD Production Group No. 1 (Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia) <------ Main external unit?
EPD Production Group No. 7 (Miitomo)
EPD Production Group No. 8 (Super Mario Odyssey)
EPD Production Group No. 9 (MK8 DX, Arms)

Not by name but by the sheer fact of them being the Tokyo division they kinda have to be, though?

But we were talking 100% first party weren't we ?
(11 internal blah blah...) so most of that doesn't count and really even if we count all of it( ~first party)... that's not heavy compare to the Switch, not even close.

But what are we discussing then? "Nintendo supporting their platform" or just very specific EPD-developed projects excluding everything else?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Hi, join us in 2017 where this is happening already. :)

Uuuuuuuuuh

Zelda is a delayed wiiu game
Mario Kart is a port
Pokken is a port done by Namco
FE warriors is developed by Omega force
In 2017 the number of internally developed games put out on switch is very low
We have to sum echoes and the new kirby game for 3ds to the list I suppose but still

In terms of quantity/rate of output, is there a publisher more prolific than Nintendo?

Probably not especially if you count their work as publisher too and not just as developers

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
1-2-Switch
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
ARMS
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Odyssey

6 internally developed (HD) titles in 8 months.
That's extremely prolific, they haven't worked this quickly for a single platform ever.

TheMoon

Uuuuuuuuuh

Mario Kart is a port
We have to sum echoes and the new kirby game for 3ds to the list I suppose but still

Zelda being a delayed Wii U game - how does that matter? They're also putting out a hefty expansion in the same year.
MK8D port = so? handled internally with new content, alongside a new IP launching a few weeks later

ksamedi

Uuuuuuuuuh

Mario Kart is a port

Probably not especially if you count their work as publisher too and not just as developers

I think there is a lot we dont know about

The Zelda team just released dlc for one of the biggest and best games ever made and there is evidence the handheld team is working on a console Zelda and we heard from anouma that they are gathering ideas for a botw sequal.

The Mario Kart team put out MK8 DX with extras and ARMS pretty close to eachother. They are delivering dlc now for arms and are probably working on Mario Kart 9

The animal Crossing team is releasing Splatoon 2 and Animal Crossing mobile and highly likey an Animal Crossing for Switch is in the works.

Kirby, Yoshi ? External teams. Smash? Also external. Prime 4 highly likely to be external.

We have no idea what Retro is doing but DK tropical Freeze DX seems like a no brainer together with a new IP I hope.

I think judging by what little is known there is a lot to look forward to and it seems like 2018 and 2019 will be stacked with games from Nintendo.

You guys are forgetting Aonuma is making a new game starring a thief. It could be a new IP. Actually I'm very confident it is because Nintendo told him they want a new IP from him.

Philippo

They really should drop most of the internal support for 3DS and move it to the Switch.
Still canmt believe Metroid remake and Ultra S/M are not cross-gen.

Top Bottom