• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft ends Windows Phone 8.1 support

Ninja Dom

Macrumors said:
Today, Microsoft is ending support for Windows Phone 8.1, effectively marking the end of the "Windows Phone" era.

Microsoft released Windows Phone in 2010 and, within three years, it became the world's third most popular mobile operating system. But the platform simply couldn't compete with the likes of Apple and Google and, as of earlier this year, iOS and Android accounted for a combined 99.6% market share.

Microsoft continues to sell a limited number of mostly budget smartphones running its newer Windows 10 Mobile operating system, but the platform has only received minor updates in recent months as the Redmond-based company has shifted its focus towards the "intelligent cloud and intelligent edge."

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/07/11/microsoft-ends-windows-phone-support/

Montresor

Pathetic. What did they even buy Nokia for?

I kept supporting Windows phone for a couple of years. I thought the OS was good but the app support was horrible. Blergh. And I hated touch screen back/home buttons. Kept accidentally hitting them with my thumb/palm.

Jumped to iPhone6s+ after my last crappy Lumia and I've been happy.

f0lken

Only two years after they unofficially did.

Its a shame that we never saw a successor to the Lumia 1020. My favorite phone ever

Guess Who

Banned
I mean, Windows Phone is absolutely a dead man walking, but this is only about ending support for Windows Phone 8.1. Windows 10 Mobile, which replaced it, still draws breath (for now).

That's a pity. My first smartphone was a Windows phone and I liked it quite a bit.

...but I'm using an Android phone now and like it a lot more.

jsnepo

I used to own a Lumia with Windows Phone 8.1. Replaced it with Android and gave the old one to my mother. She likes the phone.

tenor.gif

Not me though lol

My friend who worked at a T-Mobile said it was unofficial store policy to always discourage people from buying one, if only so they wouldn't come back a few days later and bitch about their favorite apps not being available.

Yeah, that bad.

UKUMI0

Support for Windows Phone 8.X is ended, Windows 10 Mobile (WP8's Successor) is still supported with Microsoft's official stance atm being they will support the OS until there are no active devices using it.

Dynomutt

Reported by Macrumors lol kick em while they're down. I had so many windows devices. HTC Wing, HTC Snap, HTC Dash, ans my fav HTC Arrive (Windows OS).

nubbe

Support for Windows Phone 8.X is ended, Windows 10 Mobile (WP8's Successor) is still supported with Microsoft's official stance atm being they will support the OS until there are no active devices using it.

"Microsoft has stopped manufacturing its own Lumia-branded smartphones and, according to The Verge, rumors suggest the company will simply maintain Windows 10 Mobile until support for the platform ends in 2018. "

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I have to configure loads of them as part of my IT job. Corperates love 'em because they are cheap and run outlook.

I don't know anyone who owns one out of choice.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I knew one friend who sought out a Windows Phone. Got really excited about having something different from the norm.

He got it home, and because he's Korean he went to download KakaoTalk and.... it wasn't there, of course.

"Oh... that's why people don't buy these." He returned it.

SPDIF

In related news, MS are apparently still working on some sort of Surface Phone. It will be running what is essentially full Windows 10 though, not Windows Mobile.

red731

Thanks to uncle's tip, my parents have those.

Well, they are never listening to him again and coming right to me.

Pejo

Gold Member
What a bummer. 8.1 was the Windows Phone OS I had for a year or two and loved. If only MS would have tried harder with the app support. It was a legitimately great OS, and the Nokia phones were solid.

Never tried Win10 mobile, but I'm sure it's decent too. They won't get the apps though, so might as well just kill it now too.

rrs

no ads, no throwing money to get stuff on the OS, and being stuck on either phones no carrier had or only on cheap devices was the end of windows mobile. All the same mistakes made with the Zune HD, done again

Condom

MS gave up a long time ago which is why I left. Why support a platform that the maker doesn't even believe in? So sad because some WP exclusive apps like MyTube or Readit are awesome.

Still Windows 10 support. Did most phones get an upgrade from 8.1 to 10? My Lumia 930 did at least.

Bit sad they don't make new ones. They were great phones.

Fox Mulder

I had a Windows phone for a two year contract. Was curious and willing to give it a shot. The hardware was great and the OS was distinctive.

It just never caught on because there's no room for it in an Apple and Samsung dominated world. I gave up on it because of the god awful app situation.

Tobor

Windows 10(Mobile) is as good as dead as well. It's bleeding out.

While Microsoft still supports Windows 10 Mobile, it’s not clear what that support will include in the future. Microsoft pushed updates to Windows Phone 8 devices, but the software giant barely included any feature updates in the recent Windows 10 Mobile Creators Update. Microsoft is adding a number of features to the upcoming Windows 10 Fall Creators Update for PCs, but the company has not extended these to the mobile version in testing. Some rumors suggest that Microsoft has forked its Windows Mobile development into a “feature2” branch that will simply maintain the operating system until support ends in 2018.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/11/15952654/microsoft-windows-phone-end-of-support

My friend at my work had a windows phone, i like the layout, the tiles looked really nice, he did say tho that there were lots of messaging apps and the like that did not work on MS phones.

Sad but predictable

Top Bottom