• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge is getting a demo next week. PS4/Xbox One/PC

DemWalls

Wonderful, I wanted to be there Day 1 but I wasn't sure if/how the game would run on my pretty old PC.

I'm really craving more Souls but I didn't really like Lords of the Fallen, how is this game?

People who played both pretty unanimously agreed that it's way better than LotF.

sjsteuck

Neo Member
Hopefully that means they will give it a sale to go along with the demo to encourage more people to buy it. I know I will if they do.

MightyKAC

Will absolutely play this. Am interested in the game, but Lords of the Fallen was baaaaaaad.

The fact that LotF has been associated with this game is so very unfortunate.

As has been said by others, The Surge is WAAAAAYYY better and deserves the chance that this demo will hopefully give it

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Souls players, PLEASE give this game a chance. I was hesitant, but damn am I glad I took the leap.

Surge is in a whole different league than Lords of the Fallen, and is damn near the perfect Sci-Fi take on the Souls formula.

It's in my GOTY running.

Marcel

I'll just wait until the full game is free on PS+/GWG like Lords of the Fallen was. I'm not going to believe the hype when the aforementioned game was an absolute mess and flatly worse than even Dark Souls 2.

Liamc723

The game is really, really good. Please try give it a try guys.

It's actually closer to the opposite of that.

I wouldn't bother if I were you. I also guarantee you the demo is the opening of the game. You know, the only slightly good part.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'll just wait until the full game is free on PS+/GWG like Lords of the Fallen was. I'm not going to believe the hype when the aforementioned game was an absolute mess and flatly worse than even Dark Souls 2.

Why would there be hype, if it was another Lords of the Fallen? That game had negative levels of hype.

Marcel

Why would there be hype, if it was another Lords of the Fallen? That game had negative levels of hype.

There were people on GAF that made it their temp job to pretend Lords of the Fallen wasn't a 90s MacFarlane-esque pile of hot garbage.

laxu

Nice, will give it a try. Based on the Let's plays I've watched it doesn't seem that good: Repetitive enemies, levels that are full of dark, cramped corridors and the combat doesn't look as satisfying as Souls games.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Definitely buying this game looks good from all the streams I've seen, a lot more colourful than I expected.

Not sure if I should buy it now play a bit then wait for the Scorpio to drop and play the enhanced version 🤔

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
People shit on this game undeservedly because of Lords of the Fallen but the developers have improved so much since then its amazing to see. I'd argue its better than the last couple Souls games except Bloodborne. Amazing level design, a meaty combat system, tons of customization options from armor to mods to weaponry, and overall just a really well made and challenging game.

Some random things about the game:

- Digital Foundry called it one of the, if not the best implementation of PS4 Pro support around.
- The game entire file is smaller than a lot of games day 1 DLC, its less than 10 gigs with the patches.
- It has an amazing lighting engine.
- Its hard as fuck, even more so than a lot of the Souls games.
- The limb removal focus is a great way to do loot and gear.
- There is DLC coming out later this year, no real info except its coming.

I love this game. The level design and combat is great. Honestly the worst part are some of the asthetics and the enemy design. It's mostly just factory esque areas and mostly humanoid enemies in mech suits. Was kind of hoping for more weird techno organic creatures, like in SOMA or something.

That being said I LOVE just playing it and I hope other souls games copy its ideas (like being able to bank your souls for later use, and increasing your multiplier the further you are from the bonfire equivalent)

Jingo

Its an amazing game, this coming from someone who loves bloodborne and dark souls, cant wait for new content, its definetly an underrated gem and one of my favourite games this year.

Too late to save me the retail price. Annoying.

The game is 5/10 for me, utterly middle of the road. Interesting beginning that just vanishes under poor level design, floaty combos and a final 1/3rd that made me want to chew a hole through the controller.

It's not Souls hard. It's poor development choices hard. Better than Lords of the Fallen, though.

Top Bottom