• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: Ghost Recon Wildlands is still 2017's best selling game worldwide

Syntsui

I'm really surprised this is selling more than GTA V, Minecraft, CS GO, Fifa and CoD whatever the year may be.

Ubisoft continues to dominate in the marketing department. Now if they only started producing more genuinely good games...

Kyougar

We're not entirely sure, but it's almost assuredly some selection of the following:
- Ghost Recon
- GTA V
- For Honor
- Zelda
- Injustice 2
- Resident Evil
- Horizon
- FIFA 17

where does Playerunknowns Battlegrounds with his 5 Mio fall into this? If it is even tracked.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
where does Playerunknowns Battlegrounds with his 5 Mio fall into this? If it is even tracked.

Oh, uh, it'd be very high in the list by units, but I assume they're counting by revenue, and it's a $30 game.

The firms they're getting data from also wouldn't be tracking the game (NPD, GFK, Famitsu, and Ubisoft estimates).

jjonez18

Probably a stupid random question, but does MineCraft still sell? Feel like I haven't heard anything as far as sales #'s from it in awhile. And since NPD switched to revenue, I haven't seen it chart anywhere (aside from 1 or 2k from the Vita version in Japan every now and then).

Guess its just not one of those global top spot contenders anymore?

Man I feel like nobody is talking about the game despite it selling so well. Judging by word of mouth and mindshare I'm surprised it isn't PUBG.

Probably a stupid random question, but does MineCraft still sell? Feel like I haven't heard anything as far as sales #'s from it in awhile. And since NPD switched to revenue, I haven't seen it chart anywhere (aside from 1 or 2k from the Vita version in Japan every now and then).

Yes. Don't think it has left the UK list for years like GTA V

NewDust

Oh, uh, it'd be very high in the list by units, but I assume they're counting by revenue, and it's a $30 game.

The firms they're getting data from also wouldn't be tracking the game (NPD, GFK, Famitsu, and Ubisoft estimates).

Would be interesting what PUBG coming to consoles will do. NPD doesn't track digital? or just not digital PC?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Would be interesting what PUBG coming to consoles will do. NPD doesn't track digital? or just not digital PC?

They only track PC digital sales for major AAA console publishers, and PUBG is made and published by a Korean company. They also only track Steam sales for those publishers, so we don't have Battle.net or uPlay or Origin data.

Wish it would have been a game that moves away from Ubisoft's typic ubiworld formula like Watch Dogs 2. I would think this game selling as well as it did would make them double down on that shit.

Wish it would have been an actual good game that moves away from Ubisoft's typica ubiworld games like Watch Dogs. I would think this game selling as well as it did would make them double down on that shit.

Well...yeah. Far Cry 5 looks like more of the same beyond setting (the UbiSoft model) and that will do great,

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wish it would have been a game that moves away from Ubisoft's typic ubiworld formula like Watch Dogs 2. I would think this game selling as well as it did would make them double down on that shit.

This, The Division, and Rainbow Six/For Honor are pretty much defining the types of games they make lately (in three different categories).

This, The Division, and Rainbow Six/For Honor are pretty much defining the types of games they make lately (in three different categories).

The Division and Watch Dogs 2 sort of broke away from their cookie cutter formula for the better in terms of their open world design. GRW was definitely an overwhelming throwback to it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The Division and Watch Dogs 2 sort of broke away from their cookie cutter formula for the better in terms of their open world design. GRW was definitely an overwhelming throwback to it.

It's worth keeping in mind that the game was in development since 2012, so some of that is just that. I think their take away will be "We should make sure to put full campaign co-op in our games." more than "We should make games exactly like this poorly reviewed title."

It's worth keeping in mind that the game was in development since 2012, so some of that is just that.

Touché, didn't know that. The game sold extremely well, and I doubt it was just the brand power of Tom Clancy. So what sells, sells. I wouldn't say it reviews poorly, per se. Just lukewarm/below average reviews.

I'm still confused as to where the players are at for this game, did a ton of people buy it and never install/play it? It currently sits at #24 on XBL's most played games list and I've never seen it near the top beyond the first week or two. It's not even in the top 100 for steam either.

ornery

People that have played this game, would you say its worth it? Ginna be playing single player campaign mostly.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
We're not entirely sure, but it's almost assuredly some selection of the following:
- Ghost Recon
- GTA V
- For Honor
- Zelda
- Injustice 2
- Resident Evil
- Horizon
- FIFA 17

Its probably a safe bet that GTA V and Zelda are in it.

Ghost Recon, got damn. I need to play this game, see what all the fuss is about. I just started playing The Division.

You can play a lot of these games solo. Like Dying Light had a pretty glowing GAF reception even for solo players IIRC.

I think this is the biggest surprise for me.

I had no idea I could go solo on The Division.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
People that have played this game, would you say its worth it? Ginna be playing single player campaign mostly.

I would personally consider the game's main appeal to be playing military GTA (with notable design issues) in co-op with friends, so I'm not sure if singleplayer would be an especially great experience.

ornery

I would personally consider the game's main appeal to be playing military GTA (with notable design issues) in co-op with friends, so I'm not sure if singleplayer would be an especially great experience.

Thats what I needed to hear.

Thank you, GAFamily

Don't see anyone streaming this game or talking about it at all other than PUBG lately. Confused but impressed at the same time because they did sponsored streaming promotion on For Honor and not this. Nice to hear that it's a success regardless.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Is the game fun in single player? It looks fun, but looks like it requires friends, of which I have no gaming ones.

Raven117

If not for the Japanese onslaught on earlier this year, I would have picked this up (and probably will one of these days).

Yakuza 0, Nioh, Zelda, Persona 5, Nier...just too much awesomness to miss out on.

Top Bottom